Jump to content

Headstall

Signature Author
  • Posts

    52,293
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Headstall

  1. It's hard to sleep with bloody body chills and a very sore neck.
  2. Got my blood work done. Doctor says the Lyme test is unreliable, and will probably come back negative.
  3. Hey, all. Being treated for Lyme Disease. Don't know if I have it because the test results take six weeks to get back. Been feeling poorly for a while, so my Doctor strongly suggested I take antibiotics... says my symptoms indicate it's possible, and he's seen other cases in my area. Be well.
  4. I spend a lot of time in my woods, and when I mow the different sections on my 3.5 acres, I am always getting brushed by the trees and bushes around the edges. I've been careless, and our area is a hotspot for the black legged tick which carries Lyme disease. You were smart to put on bug spray. I will do a thorough check from now on after I am out in the woods or on the mower. I found out the tick has to be on you for 24 hours before you can get Lyme Disease... I didn't know that until my doctor told me today. Stay safe, buddy... I've been feeling unwell for about six weeks now.
  5. Oh, I like this point you make about Reid being a younger Mitch. We Sidewinder fans all know he took time to figure himself out. Yes, I would say proving himself as a good sheriff is a priority for Reid. Did he put that ahead of Lucas? Interesting question, that I will not answer. Is that younger man more than just a helper? At this point it is a good bet Lucas is a mentor for the kid... but it's too soon to tell much of anything. We know that Samuel was just hired on as a deputy, so maybe this young man filled in where he could. I have to say I enjoyed my fifties, maybe more than any other decade. Of course it helped that I retired at fifty-eight. Seriously, though, it was a decade of second chances for me, ones I will always cherish. Sixties have their good parts too, although I just came back from the doctor and am being treated for Lyme Disease... it's only speculation though, because the test results take six weeks to get back. As my mom would have said, if it ain't one thing, it's another.
  6. That's good to hear, Sherye! Did Reid sound a little possessive to you when he said 'my boy"? Lucas's scowl certainly said he wasn't happy about the term. I think Jubal is taking it day by day... he'll stay as long as he feels comfortable. Might Reid try to make things uncomfortable? That is something we can wonder about. Thank you, my friend. Hope you are doing well.
  7. That sounds like a good bet to make. Whatever it was that happened to him, he carries the shame of it for sure.
  8. Ditto!
  9. In some ways I see Reid as comfortable in his new position. I think he is gaining confidence as a sheriff, and while he might be acting a little off, he has treated Jubal with respect for the most part. That's a good sign considering he might be seeing him as some kind of rival for Lucas's friendship. As sheriff, I would expect he has learned to withhold trust, and that might be the reason for some of the things he has said to Jubal. Yes... his glee at the Prescott bust was downright joyful, and that shows us an important side of the man. If he is staking his claim, he's not as smart as he should be. Lucas is his own man, and good friends don't overstep. He be wise to keep that in mind. I like how you see him. He is showing us some good qualities... but that doesn't mean he won't go too far... because... well... he's a man....
  10. That's the spirit! I've lost too many too early so each year I grow older is looked on as a gift. Good health and sanity cannot be overrated. I think frame of mind is as important as anything else for longevity, but I also think it is the biggest challenge at times. It helps that I have people like you in my life, and I hope you feel that comfort too.
  11. Larkspur had such an impact on me, so I'm with you on this, buddy. It's fun to include any part of those stories in this one. Yeah, I find that very endearing, how badly Jubal wants to take the weight off Lucas's shoulders and see him smile. It's as beautiful a thing as that new cabin. I get that point about Reid... and @FanLit and @84Mags's concerns. Reid could certainly prove to be a fly in the ointment... could he somehow push Jubal out of town? He is the sheriff, and we don't really know him well enough yet, so maybe he could make things uncomfortable for Jubal. I certainly see why readers might be worried. Cheers!
  12. Thanks, Darryl! I loved bringing Will Merrick and his big smile into this chapter. Appreciate you letting me know your thoughts.
  13. It's an excellent point!
  14. Lol. Lucas sure didn't like that 'my boy' from Reid, did he? Knat status? He might be a little big to swat away, and just maybe we need him to stick around for a while. Oh... good point about Jubal's horse being recognized... but that other Prescott should be long gone without his henchmen cousins to give him courage. Still, they would be wise to be on the lookout for any strangers hanging around... and so should Reid. He did send out word to be on the lookout to other towns along the telegraph line. Is Reis trying to hold onto something, or is he just a concerned friend? Either one could make him jealous, especially when he sees the connection Jubal and Lucas have. Oh yeah... there's a haircut and shave coming. Woot! Thanks, dear friend. Glad to hear you liked this chapter.
  15. Such a great scene! Thanks, Albert!
  16. Great clip! When he first got in the buckboard after they met, he adjusted his kerchief, making sure his neck was covered. That was our first clue something was up. Jubal is feeler safer, so now the bad dreams come... trauma needs an outlet, and shooting those men and killing one while worried for Lucas's safety... that was traumatic.
  17. Yeah, Doc, Reid is an enigma. He acts like he has a stake in Lucas's life, and we don't know why that is. Jubal is no stranger to nightmares, and it is often when we feel the safest that our worst memories rise to the surface. There has to be a story about those marks on his neck. Morey has a good heart beneath all that sawdust. I liked writing him. "Time is wood, and wood is money". Thanks, my friend. Hope you enjoyed this one. Cheers!
  18. Jubal is no stranger to nightmares. He is a tragic character in some ways, even though we don't know his full story. I'm pleased readers seem to have taken him to heart. Has Lucas done the same? It would seem he has come to care for Jubal very quickly, and friendship in these times is not to be underrated. Jubal is proving to be a godsend to a man who was struggling... those skills he learned from Vincent have given Lucas something that boosts his feeling of pride for his homestead. We don't know if Reid is a bad guy. We still have quite a journey ahead of us, but for the moment, he seems hell bent on sticking his nose into Lucas's life. Does he not trust Jubal? Guess we'll have to see. Thanks, buddy... as always, you are very kind.
  19. Love this Mags, and the dedication to go back and search. Interesting speculation about Reid and the young fella present that night. It could be very innocent... someone wanting to learn from the sheriff... about sheriff stuff I mean (for all you pervs ) . Seriously, though, we really don't know enough about Reid yet, but your point is more than reasonable. If Redi and Lucas has a 'fishing' relationship, something must have gone wrong, or at least not been right... and your speculation could be as good as any. I think seeing jealousy in Reid's actions is understandable. He does come across that way... but as I've said before, it could be more concern for Lucas than anything. I'm glad you think Jubal and Lucas's trust will build enough they will start to disclose things that might be uncomfortable... like those rope marks. Thank you, my friend.
  20. Trust is very special for all of us, but Jubal has very little of it going by the clues he gives us. You're right it is hard to get back once lost, and it's hard to trust anyone after any kind of betrayal. Yet, we are resilient, and Jubal has opened up to trusting again because of Lucas. They click, and Jubal accepts it even though it scares him. As I've said before, it's more himself and his perceptions he doesn't trust, and that's a harder thing to come to terms with. Maybe friendship with Lucas will help with that. Telling a horse's age by looking at their teeth takes a while to learn... and longer to explain. Young horse have wider, flatter teeth, and that changes over time. There can be a lot of variation, but a good horseman can make a pretty accurate guess. Splinters? I'd be more worried about losing a hand. There weren't many safeguards on those mills... so it could be very dangerous, but it was so obviously lucrative. We know Will Merrick had become a wealthy man, and it's a good bet Morey is doing well too. Lucas was in full support of Lucas taking that job with Morey, but Jubal knew his true feelings about it. Nothing wrong with his perceptions in that instance, was there? We can already see Jubal wants his once troubled friend to be happy and proud of what he's accomplished... that says a lot about the man Jubal is. As far as that quoted question, Jubal can't help himself. He is curious about Reid and Lucas, and as much as he tries to mind his own business, he just blurts these things out. You think they are all vegetarian. Maybe there will be a knock down drag out fight in the middle of Bearpaw with Lucas as the prize. Hold on... that was a joke. You do realize the fine pair I was talking about was Jubal and his new mare, right? And yeah... the rope... sigh... will we hear more about ropey things? Stayed tuned for the next episode of Bearpaw, land of the vegans. Thanks, my friend. Hope you are enjoying your birthday month.
  21. That's a good question, centex. Was there an issue between Reid and Lucas before the arrival of Jubal, or does it have to do with him? Could it simply be a disagreement or a concern? Jubal and Lucas have clicked in that way friends often do. My best friends are people I was drawn to right from the start. I don't know why that is, but I believe it is very common. These men are fortunate... both were lonely, and lost in different ways... Lucas more or less questioning whether he had what it took to be a successful farmer. What he needed most was support it appears, and a helping hand. With Jubal, I don't think it's as simple as needing a place to stay and regroup. I feel he needed someone he had a trust in, and Lucas appears to be that man. Will their friendship last? It's a fair question given the time period and circumstance... shit does just happen. Jubal was heading to larkspur to buy land... that's what he told Lucas, but I'm sure there is more to it as to why he chose Larkspur. On the face of it, Bearpaw would be a good alternative, and yes, the land is cheaper according to everyone Jubal has spoken to over the last three days. Thanks for the kind words about the writing, my friend. It is encouraging.
  22. I'll make sure to keep the campfire stoked, Johnny. Yep, they each receive a bounty for the two dead Prescott brothers. As far as settling down in a big brass bed... . "Little Luke"? Lol. No comment there either, other than to say it's pretty obvious Reid has some issue, whether it be concern for his friend or something more. Jubal is in the dark on that, but he's curious. Maybe he'll figure t out, or maybe Lucas will tell him. Thanks, buddy.
×
×
  • Create New...