Jump to content

Headstall

Signature Author
  • Posts

    52,296
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Headstall

  1. Sorry, Dan. I knew some readers would think the meaning might be that. I have to have my fun too. Yes, the reason was pure as far as we know. Partners is good, but friends is even better in their minds. You guys all think you are so clever... and you are... but I might have the last laugh as to who Lucas was looking for. Who am I kidding... none of you believe me. What are we talking about adjacent land for? That doesn't ever happen, does it? Lol. Thanks, buddy.
  2. Got us another smart one. Yeah, Boone was always the one Larkspur bound, but did Lucas know that? Lots of possibilities... it's something that could be found out about a person from folks who know them. Just saying. Okay, okay... you're still smart. And yes, anyone who was looking for it and understanding it would have seen the connection Boone and Coy had. I think it is safe to say Lucas is very astute, but again, there are different possibilities a writer might plumb. Refreshingly plain spoken? Yep. I agree, and it seems he knows just what Jubal needs to hear. That doesn't mean his is manipulative, because he isn't. He just has this connection with Jubal that helps him understand the man. Lucas being that way is what makes Jubal feel safe. Have you noticed that Lucas appears to like physical contact with Jubal every so often? Thanks for quoting that passage about Jubal's view on having a bond with a stallion. It has been my experience stallions are often most cooperative with just one person, and it takes a while for another to build any kind of bond. It's a beautiful thing. Lol. I love your confidence in these two. So true about the natural shorthand of understanding... it is invaluable in everyday life for any kind of partner, whether love is involved or not. See... that's me not admitting anything. Thanks for the good wishes, my friend. My Thanksgiving was awesome, though my energy level was not the best. I still had a great time... my grandkids were so much fun. Stayed tuned to the Trials and Tribulations of Bearpaw for answers to questions about pies and cider and horses taking bait.
  3. Thanks, Leo. I'm not sure about it either, but I guess I want to believe we were given a gift to help guide us through. All creatures evolve in incredible ways to suit their environment, and I have often wondered why I could tell someone was gay with just a second's glance in their eyes. But yeah, I'm sure that 'gift' or belief in it has led many of us down dangerous paths. Yes, it would seem that has been the case with Jubal, and now he doesn't trust himself or his perceptions. He has chosen blindness and safety, and that's not a bad thing necessarily. It's an interesting topic for me, and one I have engaged in with friends. As far as my western universe, I am thankful for the support of so many readers. And yeah, how could anyone not want to know such decent men as these two. Appreciate the kind words of support. Cheers!
  4. Lol. I've had rides pretty close to that. Fun... until you hit the ground.
  5. Hey, Albert! Love that gif! It is also a joy to write these two men, buddy. You know I fall in love with my characters, and these guys are no exception. The fact is, farming is an occupation that is terribly demanding, and often too hard for one person to keep up. But two strong men can handle it much more easily. All that's missing is love? Love that too, Albert. The story is moving at a slow pace right now, but that could well change. I appreciate your patience, my dear friend. And yes, how could horses be a bad thing?
  6. Maybe it's a reflection of the author, because if I can't build something right, I won't do it at all. These men are the same, although Jubal led in putting the roof on the new cabin. Lucas was overwhelmed by his farm when Jubal arrived, but he proved he is anxious to learn the right way from someone more experienced with building. As far as horses, though, they are both experienced and of the same mind... gentling done right... and that is something they can share and enjoy. Thanks, Parker. I appreciate the support for this story.
  7. At the beginning of this story, both men were lonely... I think we could all see that. Together, though, things have changed, and Jubal is comfortable enough to make a long commitment, and it so obviously makes Lucas happy. They do fit well together in so many ways... they have so much in common... but more than that, I think they need each other, even if they wouldn't put it that way. I agree there is a foundation being built here, and it comes from mutual respect for each other. Neither man pushes, at least not beyond a certain point. I think if Lucas was to pry too hard, it would make Jubal run. I love both horse and dogs, but the one difference is how long they live. I have been with my horse for thirty years, from the day she was born, and I will be with her when she dies. That is a long time... and I know she shares the same memories of our show career that I do, as well as all the times in between and since. Each time I put her in the cross ties, I know she is wondering if she is going to be trailered to a horse show where we will work as a team through numerous, challenging events. It is a unique bond which you obviously understand, as did your father with Benson. I agree with him about training horses... gentling them is far different than it used to be... if you don't have their complete trust, you are never successful. More than that, though, you would be depriving yourself of that incredible bond. Thanks, dear friend. I appreciate this comment and your sharing very much.
  8. Lol... I've been waiting for this! Congratulations, buddy! Thanks for not spoiling it... it's been fun waiting for someone to finally make the connection. I really like that you are a weirdo, Kris... that makes two of us.
  9. Damn, Doc. It's getting harder to deny with all this logic floating around. Very perceptive that Lucas wanted to share a farm with a man even before he met Jubal. Does that say anything other than practicality? Are we wagering? ... think I'll pass. Jubal has added a new element to Lucas's farm... and I believe that is a big deal. Lucas sees another way to be successful at something he is relatively new to... and it is something he is good at. His confidence as a farmer has certainly grown since Jubal arrived. Nosey neighbors? We know Lucas worried about that before he even bought the land, so.... Are we wagering on a kiss? Hmmm... I would say its a good bet that Lucas would have to do such a thing first, but he don't seem the type to steal one. We'll see if that's in his plans. My guess is it would take a lot to overcome Jubal's fears, but who knows. He does seem to feel safer as each day passes. Thanks, my friend.
  10. Gentle and enthralling? Woot! Thanks, Doha! Yes, I believe you are right that it is a gentle chapter... those moments of joy expressed by both men were enough for me. Jubal loosened up some... and we can tell he really is feeling safe in this place with his friend. Isn't it sad that the reality is exposure could mean persecution and even worse, death? Danger was a part of life for everyone back then, but gay folk had it tougher still. It speaks to our spirit that we were able to find a sliver of peace and safety in an unforgiving world, and I have always thought gaydar was developed from necessity, and is part of our genetic makeup. Imagine how much tougher it would have been without such a thing. I have it to a degree, but I know some who are absolutely infallible. Unfortunately, if Jubal does have it, he has learned not to trust it. So happy these characters have wormed their way into reader's hearts... they are decent... and kind... and strong... and yes... very hot. Cheers, my friend.
  11. Hey, Mags! I had a couple of other choices for a chapter name, but I kept coming back to this one. I think it also describes how readers might be feeling at there being at least a commitment to work together until spring. None of us want to see this friendship end. It was a commitment made, and I think something both men needed. Lucas puts Jubal at ease, and that's why he says the things he does... and yes, he worries after, but not for long because Lucas keeps putting him in that safe place. I suspect Lucas is very good at gentling spooky horses. Do I have to concede it was Boone and Coy who Lucas saw in Larkspur? All my writing instincts say 'deny deny deny' ... but yes, whether it was or wasn't, Lucas got some closure... and a reason to move on to Bearpaw. Hell yeah... Hallelujah and Amen! Thank you, my friend. I hope the pace is fast enough for readers, but it's good to see some of them (like you) are getting something important from each chapter.
  12. Ding ding ding. Yep, it must be one of them... or is it? Either way, I think you are right. Fate had another direction for Lucas to take. Just remember... friends can build together too. One thing for sure... Jubal is happy in a way he hasn't been in a very long time. He didn't seem the type to have a play duel... but that freedom to be himself was coaxed out of him by his new friend. Thanks, buddy. Always great to hear from you, and feel your support.
  13. Hey, spyke! It's hard to tell at this point where Lucas stands, but we are getting what could be clues. One thing for sure, he really doesn't want Jubal to leave. Jubal has definitely loved and lost with Vincent, and as accepting of it he is, I wonder if it doesn't haunt him still. I know first love is something I have never gotten over, even after all these years. Still I think of that person fondly, and it seems Jubal does too. They are good together, aren't they? I love writing them, even as friends. As far as the farm goes, I can't see it being anything but a success if they are helping each other. I'm on my last day of antibiotic, and I have improved, so fingers crossed. It it is Lyme disease, it can be tricky. Thank you, sir, for taking the time to leave a comment. It is greatly appreciated.
  14. Hey, centex! Horses have logical brains and great memories. It you show them the way and give them reason to take it, they will. They're tendency to run from danger can be turned to trust surprisingly easily. I've often thought that, like with dogs, there is a connection with humans through their and our DNA. And yes, it has to be their decision to go into the pen. Even oats might ot be enough for some. Jubal is definitely besotted with his new friend. How Lucas feels is hard to tell, but in today's world, would you see him as flirting with Jubal? It's pretty honest, whatever it is. As far as who Lucas was searching for in Larkspur, all I can say is Jubal does have enough money to buy land, but not as much as he thinks he needs. But yeah, buying land beside a friend has been done before. There are so many possibilities as to what the future holds for Jubal. Thank you, my friend. Glad you are still so engaged. Cheers!
  15. The latest chapter of Bearpaw has now been posted...
  16. Hallelujah and Amen Taking the fence boards down and removing two posts had been a simple task. After some standing, pondering, and talking, they’d decided to remove that second post. That way, the opening of the now empty corral would be even wider and more inviting than what they originally planned on. The herd had moved off, but when Jubal took a stroll to have a gander, they be just over the rise, some grazing while others dozed in the sun. Appeared they felt safe t
  17. This too shall pass...
  18. Yes... it's a fun movie. Typical romcom fare but entertaining with some heavier moments.
  19. Had a great Thanksgiving... all my kids and grandkids were here, but the last one just left. The house is so quiet, and Cookie is exhausted, but we're happy. Cool, rainy day here... my favorite.
  20. Yeah... no... it's creepy.
  21. Yeah... no... it's creepy. Hi, Tink.
×
×
  • Create New...