Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 1,136 Words
  • 1,765 Views
  • 15 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Zero to Hero, a Guide - 12. Poetry Prompt 8 – Quatrains

.

Poetry Prompt 8

Let's Write some Quatrains!

 

Last chapter we took a major step forward, although it was so smooth you may not have noticed it. We went from lyric poetry, with its rhythms based on lines of 6 or 8 syllables to narrative poetry, where the line lengths are set at 10 or 12 syllables.

The Quatrain is a storytelling device, and unlike the simple heartstrings of the Lyric form, the narrative qualities of the Quatrain can move a reader along just like a story does: with a beginning, a middle (development) and an end. And although the term can be used to talk about any line 4-lined strophe of verse, for us it means something specific. It means four lines rhymed a-b-a-b, and having a total of 40 syllables, 10 per line.

The history of why 10 syllables became the standard storytelling form in English is a bit odd. Classical Latin and Greek poetry is remarkably consistent in favoring 12 beats per line, and even Chaucer wrote that way. The Earl of Surrey was the great innovator, for in his work in translating Italian sonnets into English, he fell into a natural 10 beat rhythm, which he later used un-rhymed and called 'Blank Verse.' Without him, we would not have the English Sonnet or the blank verse that folks like Marlowe and Shakespeare used so well.

Inspiration? Oh yeah, there are a lot of fantastic Quatrains in the English language, don't worry about that! Here is a little gem, and sorry about the carnage:

 

That drinks and still is dry. At last they perished –

His second son was levelled by a shot;

His third was sabred; and the fourth, most cherished

Of all the five, on bayonets met his lot.

(Canto Eight, Don Juan, Byron)

 

Byron rather smoothly uses the Quatrain in a conversational style to simply tell us what happened to this poor man's children. Other times nothing can surpasses the grandeur of the Quatrain to talk about our personal stories of love, like this one:

 

When wasteful war shall statues overturn,

And broils root out the work of masonry,

Not Mars his sword, nor war's quick fire shall burn,

The living record of your memory.

(W.H. Sonnets 55, Shakespeare)

 

For a contemporary poet using the Quatrain to great effect, check out the following link to a work by Gert Strydom.

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/if-there-is-something-more-wreathed-quatrains-in-answer-to-edgar-allan-poe/

So, if you are thinking of tackling your own Quatrain, how do you start? Start with the story you wish to tell, and it can be a simple one. How the coffee spilled in the car and made you late for work; how the puppy wags his tail and makes your blues disappear; how the flowers are blooming now because you laid mulch down last autumn. You get the picture – you can write about the Trojan War if you want to, but I'm sure you have your own stories, so use 'em!

Once you know what you want to story-tell about, I suggest you write out the first two lines. Review. Are they in the proper metre? Are the two words at the end of the lines easy to come up with a rhyme for? If so, write the next two lines. Done. If NOT, then tweak the first two lines until you have the rhythm, and have words that you can think of easy and natural rhymes for. Only then proceed to the last two.

 

The Prompt: write two poems with several stanzas of Quatrains. One inspired by the sights and emotions of a movie you love! Let the energy flow to ‘win over’ a convert to this film. And then in mirror image fashion, write a more rational criticism about a movie you thought was an utter waste of time. Try to conjur for the reader the elements of cliché, poor script-writing, bad acting/directing – any and everything that bugged you about the film. Keep the several Quatrains of each poem to four lines, rhymed a-b-a-b, and with 10 syllables per line. Don't get frustrated, just have fun with it.

 

As final inspiration, here’s a poem by Edwin Arnold.

 

Destiny

 

Somewhere there waiteth in this world of ours

For one lone soul another lonely soul

Each choosing each through all the weary hours

And meeting strangely at one sudden goal.

Then blend they, like green leaves with golden flowers,

Into one beautiful and perfect whole;

And life's long night is ended, and the way

Lies open onward to eternal day.

 

 

 


 

Self-Review: Now that you have written several stanzas of Quatrain, I ask you to perform a self-check against the following set of questions. If you answer ‘Yes’ to one or more of them, and this leads to feelings of dissatisfaction with your results, turn to the appendix List of Random Prompt Ideas and choose one to try the Quatrain challenge again. Check this list of questions with your second attempt and whittle those ‘Yes’s down to a comfortable level before going on to the Haiku prompt challenge.

 

Ask yourself DID I:

- Fail to make rhymes that seem smooth and natural?

- Make the four lines of each Quatrain choppy, or create hard stops at the end of the lines?

- Fall short in selecting rhymes that carry my intent forward? (This is a big one, and often this feeling of incompleteness leads a person to write better and better poems on the same theme.)

- Make my Quatrains a series of individual lines strung together? (As opposed to a smooth and flowing exposition of a complete sentence across four lines.)

- Fall short or go over on the syllable counts?

- Fail to place a personal or emotional POV in the Quatrains?

- Regress to haiku-speak?

- Sacrifice basic grammar to achieve syllable count?

 

Remember, this course is designed to build knowledge and confidence step by step, so please feel comfortable with Quatrains before you proceed.

For some final Quatrain inspiration, here are a few more gems from Shakespeare to his beloved boyfriend, W.H.

 

O thou, my lovely boy, who in thy power

Dost hold time’s fickle glass, his sickle’s hour:

Who hast by waning grown, and therein shows

Thy lovers withering, as thy sweet self grows.

(W.H. Sonnets, 126)

 

Let me not to the marriage of true minds

Admit impediments. Love is not love

Which alters when it alteration finds,

Or bends with the remover to remove:

---

Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks

Within his bending sickle's compass come;

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,

But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

(W.H. Sonnets, 116)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_

Copyright © 2019 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 4
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

28 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

Again an awesome essay and great examples. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Thanks, Lyssa. Time for you to play along :yes: 😋 :yes:

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, AC Benus said:

Thanks, Lyssa. Time for you to play along :yes: 😋 :yes:

lol Do you really have the feeling, I still possess capacities for doing so? Can you talk to my boss, that I should have longer vacations, to write more poetry?  .... I will think about playing along.... :hug:

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

About a movie?  Hmmm my movie reviews are usually .. it was good ... it was crap or.. it was okay.

i think the last time is tried this i couldn't think of a movie either. LOL   i will think on it .

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

I have a movie in mind, one of my favorites. But how to write about it? 

i have an idea finally .. but i'll need to do a bit of research.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

The sad truth about the second part of the prompt is that there are way too many such movies from which to choose...

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

The sad truth about the second part of the prompt is that there are way too many such movies from which to choose...

Krakatoa East of Java comes to mind.. especially since it's west .. .oh and Skull Island.. THAT was a winner

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Kratatoa East of Java comes to mind.. especially since it's west .. .oh and Skull Island.. THAT was a winner

Kong, Skull Island? oh yeah, THAT was such a winner! lol!

Edited by mollyhousemouse
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, AC Benus said:

Tin Men for me, only film I ever got up and walked out. That is, after I woke up

OMG ... LOL  sound riveting .. if you want to nap

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

What about Tropic Thunder!!! That movie is so bad, it's brilliant (on purpose).

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..