Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
The world of The Mantis Gland series is a brutal place.

The Mantis Corruption - Book Three - 17. Chapter 17 - The First Organic Mechanic of Teshon City

Olona!

After moving into Gate Town, Olona focused on using her skills to help people. Her days were spent healing the injured, and Olona enjoyed her practice. Some locals were hesitant to accept treatments with the bizarre machines that she used; most were unfamiliar with or at least unsure of the arts performed by organic mechanics.

When Olona and Tisa left their shack in the Spritehood, they moved into the first floor of an empty building that they discovered at the edge of Shifton. Over the next few weeks, Olona’s practice grew, and she started treating people in their new home.

She and Tisa moved upstairs into the space above, and the ground level became Olona’s storefront and care station. It was not long before the shop was thriving. Weeks turned into months, and her practice became popular across Teshon City. New people came to her daily.

“Welcome to the First Organic Mechanic Shoppe of Teshon City,” Olona called out as a bell rang and a woman opened the front door. “It’s our six-month anniversary! What can I do for you?”

“You fixed me neighbor’s leg,” she replied to Olona. She was wearing an eyepatch. “I was just wonderin’ if’n you couldn’t do something for me eye. It’s goin’ on me. Can’t see nothin’ out of it for near a year now.” She lifted the patch.

Olona put down the joint she was smoking and asked the woman, “Are you in any pain?”

“Nah,” she replied, “there was a dull ache for a while when me vision first started fading, but it don’t hurt none.”

Olona raised her hands. “May I touch your face?”

The woman nodded and Olona gently felt the space around the orbital socket.

“I can replace your eye with a mechanical one. It’s a procedure that is not approved by the organic mechanics guild where I trained,” Olona said, and the woman looked nervous, but Olona continued. “I’ve actually given myself an optical upgrade. I’ve got my own partially mechanic eye. So, let’s see what we can do for you.”

During her days, Olona mended injuries, helped people with worn-out joints, and gave strength to folks who had grown weak.

One evening, Tisa came home to find Olona in an excited state.

“Tisa, I met a man from Xin today!” she declared. “He let me copy a map he owned and explained why there are so few people who have ever made the journey from here to there or vice versa. Take a look!”

She pointed at a roll of parchment on the tabletop. “Help me spread this out.” Olona’s drawing was scratchy, but she started indicating different sections of it. “The man said these mountains that separate Xin from the region around Teshon City are virtually impassible. Also, it’s apparently almost impossible to sneak through Gunge.” Olona shot Tisa a proud expression. “We did,” she added with a smile, and she continued. “He told me there’s also some sort of treacherous ocean phenomenon that doesn’t let any seafaring vessels travel south of Hazel Cove.” Olona indicated a section of the ocean and said, “Whatever’s in the water starts below that region and stretches out into the ocean. I guess it goes up, encircles Teshon Harbor, and connects to the land far to the north of the city. He didn’t know if it was a massive coral reef or some sort of underwater topographical anomaly, but he said that ships can’t go between this region and Xin.”

“Strange,” Tisa said.

“So, because of the mountains and oceanic barrier, coupled with Gunge,” Olona added, pointing at it again, “it’s only possible to make the journey on foot, and almost no one’s done it. The Oselians must have known some way to deal with whatever is out in the ocean. Maybe their warships smashed it, and it regrew, or maybe whatever it is appeared afterward, I don’t know,” she concluded.

“Well, I guess that explains that,” Tisa replied.

“We did something that very few others have accomplished,” Olona said in amazement. She put her arm around Tisa. “We are pretty impressive,” she added with a smile. “I wonder what else we are going to achieve.”

Tisa and Olona are quite a pair!
2023
  • Like 3
  • Love 6
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Thank you for sticking with my crazy story!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I knew the mountains and Gunge played a large part in the isolation. From what we've seen, it's not a bad thing.

I figured Olona would be successful, but will it raise the ire of Mystics if they lose too much trade?

  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Tisa and Olona just learned they did what few else had done. They escaped from Xin and reached Teshon City. Now, they have comfortably settled in with good friends. Olona is serving people needing medical help and doing things they request. She offers a choice.

They are so happy---“We are pretty impressive,” she added with a smile. “I wonder what else we are going to achieve.”★

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Olona has done much to help the common person in Teshon City.  Let's hope it continues to buy her good will.  

Is Tisa still wearing the halo?  Is that why no one has tried to come after her and her mantis gland?

Let's hope that Olona and Tisa along with the others continue to have some good luck.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Wait till they meet the mystic and the rest of the gang...

Food for thought, are the halos easily made???

Think what fun could be had bedeviling the Messiah's....

  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
58 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Wait till they meet the mystic and the rest of the gang...

Food for thought, are the halos easily made???

Think what fun could be had bedeviling the Messiah's....

There hasn't been any clear sign an ordinary Messiah can sense a Shift. We can only be certain about the denizens of Gunge, and it is likely due to their addiction.

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..