Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
The world of The Mantis Gland series is a brutal place.

The Mantis Corruption - Book Three - 24. Chapter 24 - Tchama & Olona

Tchama visits Olona at the First Organic Mechanic of Teshon City

Tchama stepped up to the front door of the shop, pulled open the door, and its bell rang.

“Welcome to the First Organic Mechanic…” Olona started to say, but then she realized who it was. “Oh, hello! Tchama, I didn’t expect to see you today, since you were helping with the…” Her voice faded.

Tchama was covered in dust and bits of concrete.

“What happened to you?” Olona asked.

Instead of replying, Tchama said, “I’m here to let you test my arm, or whatever you wanted to do.”

Olona decided to leave her question for the moment. Tchama seemed very out of sorts. “Would you like a glass of water? Are you hungry? Have you been working all day?” Olona asked in quick succession.

“Water would be nice,” Tchama replied.

Olona filled a glass from a pitcher and handed it to Tchama. She looked her over and said, “If you’re up for it, we can test the strength of your grip again with a more substantial gauge, and then we can do the same thing with some of your other muscle groups.”

Tchama nodded.

Olona laid out a few instruments, lit a joint, and began her experimentation. She took detailed notes, testing the strength of Tchama’s individual fingers and several muscle groups in her arm and shoulder. Olona also spent a few moments determining the range of motion in Tchama’s joints.

The testing did not last long, but it drifted by for Tchama like a haze. Since losing her arm, her spirit had darkened, and the method used to save her kept popping into her mind. Tchama’s thoughts disturbed her. She knew that by consuming the photonova gland Ninyani brought with him from his village of Frostflower, she gained increased strength, but the near-invulnerable empowerment of her body felt like a curse.

It was not that Tchama was ungrateful to be alive, she was very grateful, but she could not help it that she felt like one of the hated Messiahs. The loss of her arm also weighed heavily on her soul, and the enthusiasm she once exuded was now almost extinguished.

Tchama was lost in her thoughts, and she wondered if she had been wrong in her thinking. She considered for the first time that it was possible what happened was a good thing. The mother of the little girl she saved certainly thought it was a good thing, and the woman did not react the way most people would have, learning that someone went through the Messiah enhancement; she was only appreciative that her child was safe.

Tchama spent most of the time since her enhancement wishing she did not go through with it, but for the first time, she began to feel grateful. Her dichotomous emotions were distracting her, and when Olona took her hand and stood there holding it, Tchama eventually made eye contact with her.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

Olona smiled. “I just said that we’re all done. Are you sure you’re all right? Do you want to tell me about anything? I could make us some food to…”

“I’m fine,” Tchama replied. “I’m just going to head back to the mystic’s house.”

“Okay, well, thank you for coming by and letting me satisfy my curiosity,” Olona said. “It was lovely meeting you yesterday, and you’re most welcome to come visit me here at the shop anytime.”

Tchama nodded and gave Olona a small smile. She made her way back out into the city streets, turned a corner, and entered Shifton. After a few minutes, she arrived at the home she shared with the mystic, his husband, and Lahari. Tchama entered, headed to the privy chamber, and she stripped off her dusty clothes.

She stepped under the overhead tap and cranked on the water. Tchama stood still for a long time with the falling water washing away the dust. Emotions flooded and overwhelmed her in the moment, and she sobbed.

She sobbed about almost dying a few months earlier; she sobbed over the loss of her arm, and she sobbed about needing assistance. Her tears flowed for the way she could not help but view herself as a cannibal. Tchama was also feeling a noticeable loss of connection to Dozi and Ilya, and Tchama was heartbroken over that.

There was something else, though, underneath her sadness, and it was breaking through to the surface. Tchama was feeling hope

Where will this lead?
2023
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Thank you for sticking with my crazy story!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Tchama visited Olona and was tested physically and mentally and emotionally. She is very strong buy saddened by the loss of her arm.

She had to work out in her mind her own problems and uncertainties. At the end, she began to feel hope. Good. She will have a better future with a positive outlook. She has many good friends to encourage and support her.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Being around positive people and feeling she can contribute should lift Tchama from her depression.

I feel more is up with Olona than simple curiosity. She wants to use this knowledge. 

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Tchama needs to understand she is oh so different from the Messiahs.  Yes, she accepted the photnova gland from Ninyani, but she did not kill anyone for it; it was to save her life.  

Tchama needs to open up, she just needs to find out who she feels most comfortable with.  

Was hoping that Olona would recommend replacing her arm, but perhaps she cannot for some reason.

Excellent chapter.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

That she needs help is evident and hopefully Olona is able to restore her missing arm....

Where will this lead?

An epiphany?

  • Love 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
8 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

That she needs help is evident and hopefully Olona is able to restore her missing arm....

Where will this lead?

An epiphany?

Perhaps, but what kind?

  • Like 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..