Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 1,064 Words
  • 1,776 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lost & Found - Prologue. Prologue

Lost & Found

Prologue

Morgan St. John had been on the front page of business journals many times. They called him ‘The Biz Wiz’ besides other ridiculous names he wasn’t happy about. If you asked him, he would always say all he did was heed a simple fact that most CEOs still ignored, despite countless lectures he had given on the subject. Every company was different, but all of them had one thing in common: they were nothing without their employees. Those people had to believe in success first, and then the stock market would follow.

It was a simplified way to describe his methods, but it worked. Boards and their CFOs all over the world came to him to save their tanking businesses. Most of the time he had already lined up the next project or as Danny had called it, his next fix, while he was still wrapping up his last one. Danny knew that despite public belief it wasn’t the money that drove Morgan, but the challenge. That got his adrenaline pumping like nothing else.

He always supported him, even when Morgan would slip into bed in the early morning hours, too exhausted to do anything but wrap Danny in his arms and fall asleep. And this was only when Morgan could commute from their home. Usually, he worked in another city, or another country, or the other side of the world, and they didn’t see each other for months, except for their brief talks on Skype in the evenings, or when Danny would visit him.

Sometimes, though, even Morgan St. John couldn’t win; all he could do was sell the company’s profitable parts, and close down the rest. He was, after all, still a businessman, who strived to gain a profit and had a reputation to uphold.

After a particularly gruesome liquidation — in the end he had to dismiss hundreds of people — Morgan had been exhausted physically and mentally, and Danny had all but forced him to finally take some vacation time.

They decided to go on a cruise. Morgan loved sailing, and after some internet research, Danny had found the ‘Mandarin Queen’, a sleek 220.5ft yacht, which provided the comfort and service of a first class hotel. They had been looking forward to scuba diving, visiting charming little coastal villages, and bathing in the sun, but above all, to recharging their relationship batteries.

Three days before their departure, an old friend of Morgan’s had called with a new project, insisting that only Morgan could come up with a way to save the company. Of course, Morgan accepted. How could he laze around on some boat when the livelihood of people, of families, was at stake? That he could do when he was retired.

It had been their first real fight in years.

“You need this vacation. We need this vacation, Morgan.”

“How can I lie in the sun when I’m needed, with no care or concern at all?”

“There are others who can do the job. Bernhard only called you first, because you never say no. This time, Morgan, please! I’m begging you !”

“How flattering. I’ve already told him we’re about to go on a cruise, and he has to look for someone else, but Bernhard insists no one else can do the job.”

“You’re addicted to success, Morgan. To adrenalin, to feeling invincible. You can't go on burning the candle at both ends. Can’t you see this? And someday soon you're going to pay the price.”

“You’re exaggerating. This is an emergency. I can’t go on a vacation and leave them hanging. That would be irresponsible and selfish.”

“I am going on this cruise. You need to think about this, Morgan, about us. Although, with how you work, you’ll most likely fall into bed too tired to think.”

Two days later, he had watched Danny leave. Leaning against the kitchen counter, his second coffee in hand, he had expected to have one last argument or at least hear Daniel slamming the door shut. Only he didn’t. Danny had closed it gently, and somehow, in doing so, had made his point even stronger. Pulling the suitcase behind him, the duffle bag slung over his shoulder, Danny had approached the waiting cab. The driver came out, took his luggage, and put it in the trunk. Danny got into the car without looking back. The taillights flashed briefly before they faded into the distance, and then he was gone.

Morgan had persuaded himself that Danny would have a good time once he had calmed down. He even resolved to make it up to him. This project was important, but after finishing it, he would take some time off. Maybe buy the house Danny always talked about, with a big backyard. Maybe even get a dog.

Morgan’s world disintegrated in the middle of a crucial board meeting, when someone came in and interrupted his speech by handing him his phone with a grave expression on his face. “Sir, the Coast Guard for you. There’s been an accident.”

They’d found the ‘Mandarin Queen’ adrift with seven bodies. There had been a shooting. They had identified the yacht owner, his wife, the crew, and three of the guests. According to the passenger list, two persons were still missing. One of them was Danny. They needed him to confirm that Danny had boarded the yacht.

***

Morgan was on a plane three hours later. They had told him not to come, but he was a man of action; he had to do something.

The waiting had been killing him. Using the entire space of his hotel suite pacing up and down, he had clutched the phone in his hand, holding it in a death grip so he would feel it vibrate before it even started to ring. He’d checked the charging status, and the reception bars every minute, so he wouldn’t miss the good news. There had to be good news.

When the call finally came, Morgan almost dropped the phone. Swiping a sweaty finger over the screen repeatedly, he had become nearly insane when it didn’t work. It rang and rang.

Don’t stop!

He fumbled to dry his palm on his jeans, tried again, and finally it connected. “Hello?”

“Morgan St. John?”

“Did you find him?”

“I’m sorry, Mr. St. John. We found the missing life raft, but it was empty.”

Copyright © 2017 aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Danny and Morgan were very devoted to each other. This was in spite of Morgan's need for his adrenalin rush. The saddest part of this is that Morgan is missing so much of what makes life so special. As outsiders looking in at them through our paged window, we can see how much he is missing. It is a tribute to the depth of Danny's love for Morgan that he stuck with him. The prologue's ending was ominous. Piracy with other dead bodies already found never ends well.

Link to comment

Oh, to have that goodbye possibly be the last time they see each other... Morgan could be just consumed by guilt for the rest of his life if Danny doesn't come back. Gives you perspective on how to prioritise in life.

Link to comment

A very good start reminding us of two things we sometimes tend to forget in our hasty and full lives.
In the first place never to let work become the main focus of one's life and in the second place never to take leave of a loved one with an angry heart. Morgan is guilty of both and may have to live with he consequences.

Link to comment
On 09/21/2015 08:56 PM, drpaladin said:

Danny and Morgan were very devoted to each other. This was in spite of Morgan's need for his adrenalin rush. The saddest part of this is that Morgan is missing so much of what makes life so special. As outsiders looking in at them through our paged window, we can see how much he is missing. It is a tribute to the depth of Danny's love for Morgan that he stuck with him. The prologue's ending was ominous. Piracy with other dead bodies already found never ends well.

This was actually the first part of the story I wrote, without knowing it would be the prologue. For a few days I didn't know what to do with it, before I had some kind of outline...

It would be good could we see ourself from the outside sometimes, it would be a helpful perspective.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, drpaladin, I love to read about first impressions and expectations. It's my fuel. :)

Link to comment
On 09/22/2015 02:07 AM, Puppilull said:

Oh, to have that goodbye possibly be the last time they see each other... Morgan could be just consumed by guilt for the rest of his life if Danny doesn't come back. Gives you perspective on how to prioritise in life.

Exactly! Although not having an argument ever again, because it could be the last time you see each other would be a little morbid, don't you think? But when it happens, it's really bad and you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Thank you for your comment, Puppilull. It's appreciated. :)

Link to comment
On 09/22/2015 04:37 AM, J.HunterDunn said:

A very good start reminding us of two things we sometimes tend to forget in our hasty and full lives.

In the first place never to let work become the main focus of one's life and in the second place never to take leave of a loved one with an angry heart. Morgan is guilty of both and may have to live with he consequences.

I think this is a good resolution: never leave with an angry heart. We do it anyway, but if we think about it, we might do it less. And work is much too important for some, it makes lonely.

Thank you, Peter. I'm glad you think it's a good start. For me the beginning of a story is always the hardest part.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Great start, Addy. Too bad it took losing Danny to make Morgan realize what's really important in his life. Sometimes saying 'no' is the best thing to do. I wouldn't know, though...I have a horrible time saying no to people. lol I look forward to seeing where this story goes.

Link to comment

This is a really good start Adi. Even when a relationship isn't strained, and you say things and leave in a fit of anger, you don't think you'll not have the chance to make it right. Now Morgan is left with this huge hole of regret and loss..

Link to comment
On 09/24/2015 12:52 PM, Defiance19 said:

This is a really good start Adi. Even when a relationship isn't strained, and you say things and leave in a fit of anger, you don't think you'll not have the chance to make it right. Now Morgan is left with this huge hole of regret and loss..

Thank you Defiance19 for taking a chance at my new story! :) Yes, this will be very hard for Morgan.

Link to comment

You hardly need more kudos from a newbie like me. But here they are. This is a fantastic prologue. I'm hooked, and you will no doubt reel me and everyone else in at your leisure. Thanks!

Link to comment
On 10/20/2015 04:59 AM, Parker Owens said:

You hardly need more kudos from a newbie like me. But here they are. This is a fantastic prologue. I'm hooked, and you will no doubt reel me and everyone else in at your leisure. Thanks!

Ha, no! I need all the kudos I can get. They make me happy and motivate me. So,thank you, Parker! Newbie? I'm going to check out your story A to Z. I've been curious for a while. :)

Link to comment

So far, the very best thing about this story is that Ren isn't in it! ;-)

 

You've sketched out two very interesting characters that I want to read more about.

Link to comment
On 12/15/2016 08:38 PM, droughtquake said:

So far, the very best thing about this story is that Ren isn't in it! ;-)

 

You've sketched out two very interesting characters that I want to read more about.

Aw... poor Ren.

Thank you, those two needed voices.

Link to comment

For a brief and fleeting moment I thought you’d written a happy couple. Nope! Apparently I’m in for more exquisite love and loss. <sigh>

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Dan South said:

For a brief and fleeting moment I thought you’d written a happy couple. Nope! Apparently I’m in for more exquisite love and loss. <sigh>

Yes, and I still didn't finish this story. It's on the list though. Usually I finish my stories, but at the time I started this one I was still writing another and had to learn about myself that I can't write two stories at the same time. The long-term-hold really bugs me.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..