Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 472 Words
  • 1,010 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prickly Prompts - 7. #775 A Rough Night

Use the following words in a story - a pair of glasses, a torn tee shirt, a cup of coffee, a crying child, and a slice of pizza.

Noah climbed the barstool at his favorite bar-slash-pizza place. “A coffee, black, and a slice of pepperoni pizza.”

Tonino glared at Noah’s bloody knuckles and torn tee-shirt. “Rough night?” He slammed the cup down with such force that some of the coffee splattered on the bar’s polished surface.

“You could say that.”

When Noah said nothing else, Tonino huffed, irritated, and went into the kitchen. A minute later, he placed a plate with hot, steaming pizza in front of his best friend. “How is the person on the other side of those fists?”

“Dead.”

“What?” Tonino yelled.

Noah placed his glasses beside the plate with shaking hands and pinched the bridge of his nose. “The guy thought it was a good idea to run to a police officer with a knife in his hand.”

“Shit! And why are your knuckles bruised?”

“He was kicking his puppy when it didn’t understand which way to go after the leash became entangled in a bush.”

“Of course you had to help the puppy.” Unasked, Tonino added a generous amount of alcohol to Noah’s coffee.

“The guy was wearing steel-capped boots! Asshole, he’d have killed her.”

“Where was Ben?”

“He stayed out of it exactly like I told him to and called the police while I engaged the fucker. It’s never good for a black man to be involved in a brawl.”

“At least you were thinking.” Tonino wiped the bar. “Let me guess, Ben brought the puppy to the vet.”

“She has several broken ribs and a punctured lung.”

“Will it survive?”

“The vet is hopeful.”

Tonino shook his head and suddenly grinned. “Why can I see another addition to the Myer- Kerrigan-household?”

Noah shrugged. “Ben said he named her Grace.”

Tonino’s phone rang. After a brief look, he chuckled and quickly swiped the screen to the side. Immediately a crying child sounded from the speaker. “He’s teething,” he said, and smiled enthusiastically as if it were the best news ever. Cooing into the phone, he looked around the bar. Only three people sat at the tables nursing their beers.

“Go home to your kid, Tonino. Show him his papa always comes home for him, whether he’s teething, crashed his bike into the neighbor’s car, or fell in love with a boy,” Noah grinned at his friend.

Tonino pointed at Noah. “Nothing of that,” he scowled. After a pause, he winked. “For that he goes to his godfather.”

“Go home.”

“You’re right.” Tonino turned to the kitchen. “Gio!”

“Yes, boss?”

“Can you close up tonight?”

“Sure thing, boss.”

Outside, Noah shivered in the cool wind, pulled the zipper of his hoodie up as he hurried home. A dark shadow stepped out from a side street. “I knew you would go to Tonino’s.”

“How’s Grace?”

“She’ll be okay. I missed you.”

“Let's go home."

Thank you @comicfan for providing just another inspiring prompt.
:thankyou:  @Valkyriefor the 'tacked on' comment and the edits.
I appreciate each and every comment. :) 
Copyright © 2019 aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

While I’m sorry a puppy was injured, I’m glad that no infant humans were harmed (who might have been the crying child in the prompt). I guess I’m glad your violent tendencies come out only in fiction! And well balanced with more loving aspects in the same story.
;–)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

While I’m sorry a puppy was injured, I’m glad that no infant humans were harmed (that might be the crying child in the prompt). I guess I’m glad your violent tendencies come out only in fiction! And well balanced with more loving aspects in the same story.
;–)

Thank you for your nice words, made my day.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, dughlas said:

You tied up that group of prompts very nicely and in an unexpected manner. Well done.

Thank you, dughlas! :D

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

Oh, this was very, very nice. 

Thanks, Adi..

Thank you very much, Def. I'm starting the week with a smile.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..