Jump to content
    akisar61
  • Author
  • 4,920 Words
  • 2,772 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Two Boys On A Bike - 2. Chapter 2

Part 2
As they made their way to the library James asked? “What’s the book you want to get?”
“I saw the first two parts of The Lord of The Rings at the movies, so I thought I’d go to the library and see if they have the book so I can see how it ends before the next part comes out later this year.”
The boys made their way into the library and Patrick went straight to the computers in the foyer to check if they had the book and if it wasn’t out on loan. Five minutes later he turned to James who was looking over his shoulder, “No luck it went out yesterday I don’t suppose it will be back for some time.”
“Is there any other book you want to get?”
“No not really.”
“Come on then let’s go back to the park we can fool around in there.”
Patrick jumped up from the computer, “Okay let’s go.”

The boys walked back to the park once inside James got astride the bike and waited till Patrick had got himself seated on the saddle and like before he took of with Patrick hanging on to him as he pedalled around the various pathways. A few minutes later James stopped and turned to Patrick, “You want to ride around on your own for a bit.”
“Can I?”
“Yeah but you’ll have to stand and pedals I think the saddle is a bit too high for you.”
“That’s okay.” And Patrick took over and off he went. He pedalled around all the footpaths enjoying himself for the first time in many months. He made his way back to James who was seated on the bench watching him. Jumping off the bike and walking over to the seated boy he said, “That was brilliant James.”
“Okay my turn now, you want to see me do wheelies?”
“Can you?”
“Yeah, just watch,” and James cycled off, when he’d got to a reasonable speed he lifted the front wheel of the path and was continuing just on the rear wheel.
Patrick was yelling encouragement as James continued with his wheelie. Suddenly a dog ran in front of James causing him to swerve, he lost his balance and crashed to the ground. As he fell he thought, “Oh bollocks! That’s what comes from trying to show off,” as he flung himself clear of the bike and landed on his back getting the wind knocked out of him momentarily and lying slightly dazed.
Suddenly he heard screams coming closer and realised his name was being called over and over again then a body landing on top of him screaming, “James, James.”
He wrapped his arms around Patrick’s waist holding him tight and trying to calm him. “I’m okay Patrick just got a bit winded.”
He looked into the boy’s face and could see the tears rolling down the smaller boy’s cheeks. Moving his hands from Patrick’s waist he used them to wipe the tears from his friend’s face, then smiling he said, “Can we get up now,”
Patrick stared down into boy’s face and sniffing enquired, “Are you really okay?”
“Yeah, no bones broken, and to prove it watch this,” again he wrapped his arms around the smaller boy rolled over then stood up lifting Patrick with him. Looking at the boy in his arms James smiled, “I told you I was okay,” then placed him down on his feet.
“God, I got really scared when you fell. I was frightened that because I’d got friendly with you the same thing would happen all over again, and you’d be taken away from me as well.”
James looked at the small boy standing in front of him and saw the look of concern on his face, “Its okay Patrick you don’t have to be scared I’m still here and I don’t have any plans as you put it of being taken away from you. Now let’s go look at my bike and see if it’s in one piece.”
The boys moved over to the bike and found that other than a bit of a scrape on the handlebars it was okay. Getting astride the bike James turned to Patrick, “Ready to go again?”
“Yeah,” and with a big grin Patrick clambered up onto the saddle and this time his arm encircled James's waist. As the smaller boy’s arms came in contact with his body James felt a tingling sensation run through him like an electric shock. Looking over his shoulder at his small companion he said, “Okay hold tight,” and they were off again.

This time at the exit to the park James didn’t stop he kept going along the pavement then shouted to Patrick, “Guide me to your house.” With Patrick’s instructions they were soon dismounting from the bike outside his house.
“You coming in James?”
“Yeah, could do with a cold drink seeing that I had to chauffeur you home.”
“Put your bike inside the garage and come on in, what do you want Coke or Tango.”
James put the bike away and followed through the front door which had been left open.
As he came inside the front door James noticed Patrick’s trainers in the hallway and smiled, it’s exactly what he did as soon as he got home so following suit he kicked off his own trainers and placed them beside Patrick’s.
“In here,” he heard Patrick’s voice, “In the kitchen, so what do you want?”
“I’ll have a Tango.”
With both of them holding drinks Patrick led the way into the living room.
“Take a seat James,” Patrick said as he lowered himself onto the settee, and James did precisely that alongside the smaller boy.
When they’d finished their drinks Patrick said, “You still have time to get home and go to the match it’s only twelve thirty and the match doesn’t start till three. You don’t have to give it up to stay with me.”
James started writhing around on the settee making sounds of pain, “Oh ah, oh, ah, ahhhhhhhhh, ohhhhhh, stop it hurts.”
Patrick was startled then wrapped his arms around James and grabbed hold of him to stop him writhing around, “What’s up with you making all that noise are you going bananas.”
“It’s you twisting my arm and stopping me from going to the match,” said James smiling.
Patrick laughed, “You’re crazy but thanks,” he still held James in his arms then suddenly realising their position he quickly released him and moved back.
Sitting up James said, “I told you before I’d prefer to be here then going to the match so don’t mention it again okay.”
Patrick was silent for a moment then gazing at the boy sitting next to him asked, "James why me?”
“What do you mean?”
“Umm why did you choose me to hook up with, you can see I’m not like your other friends and I’d better tell you now I like sports but I’m hopeless at them, and I’m considered a weed.”
“Patrick, why did Jeremy pick you as a friend?”
“Uh I, umm I don’t know I never asked him we just became friends.”
“So can’t we just do the same?”
“Yeah, that's good.”
James looked at the smiling boy who he was getting more attached to by the minute. “So what do we do now that you’ve stopped twisting my arm to keep me here?”
“I’ve got PS.2 you want to play Hit Man 2?”
“Okay.” James said not too enthusiactically.
“Come on then let's go up to my room,” and with Patrick leading the way they went to his bedroom. Besides the bed by the window the room was fitted out with a built-in-wardrobe and a chest of drawers, a TV and a computer system with a swivel chair. Hunkering under the bed Patrick pulled out his PS2 and began to set it up. As soon as it was he asked James if he wanted to go first.
“No you go first I haven’t played this game before so I’ll watch you.”

Patrick started the game and was soon busy going through the various levels which James didn’t even bother to watch, he was too busy doing what he said, watching his new friend at the controls as he played the game. The way his tongue came out at crucial parts and the way his body leaned over trying to make his character on the screen escape the bullets flying in his direction. He was totally engrossed in watching his small friend’s whole body and facial expressions contort as he played the game, and couldn’t take his eyes off the boy so he didn’t notice when Patrick was killed, and the game came to an end.
“You weren’t watching were you Patrick enquired?”
“Yes I was I watched your every move.”
“You were supposed to watch the game not me.”
“I know but I preferred watching you, you were much more interesting than the game. The way you stick your tongue out and move it around and the way you move your body when you’re in a tight spot is better than watching the game.”
“Okay if you’re so cool then you have a go.”
“No I’m not cool Patrick you are, that’s why I like watching you.”
“You having me on?”
“Why would I have you on, I just like watching you.”
Patrick put the controls of the PS2 down and walked over to James who was sitting on the bed. “Can we talk I don’t want to play the games anymore.”
“Yeah if you want to.”
“Did you choose to be friendly with me because you felt sorry for me when Bert was beating up on me in the school?”
“No I wanted to be friendly long before that, actually when I saw you and your dad come to the school on Thursday morning.
Patrick sat staring at James, “What made you want to be friendly with me?”
James shrugged his shoulders, “Don’t know just wanted to, do I have to have a reason.”
“No,” then Patrick smiled, “I’m glad we got together if you hadn’t I’d still be alone most probably sitting in the library reading some book or the other.”
The urge just seemed to enter into him and James grabbed Patrick and wrestled him onto his back on the bed, leaning over him he looked down on the smaller boy,
“Patrick, tell me about you and Jeremy.”
“Why?”
“Just, I don’t know, maybe because he’s dead and I want to know about him.”
Patrick lay silent for a while looking up at James, “I don’t know if I should.”
“Why? Don’t you like talking about Jeremy.”
“No, it’s not that it’s I umm, you might think we were weird or something.”
“No I wouldn’t I promise, please tell me will you.”
“Alright but let me sit up,” James got up and let Patrick get into a sitting position on the bed.

“I remember the first time I saw Jeremy,” Patrick began his narration, “It was about four years ago when I was nearly ten, he was the biggest boy in the class.”
Patrick paused thinking back to that day when he was literary shaking as he entered the classroom on his first day at the new school.
“What happened?” Patrick’s thoughts were broken by James’s question.”
“Huh, oh yeah, well I was a bit scared I didn’t know anyone, and there were all these other boys and girls talking and yelling in the classroom until I walked in. They all seemed to stop and look at me. When that happened I nearly wet myself. Then Jeremy came over to me took my hand and led me over to an empty desk.
“You can have this desk no one is using it,” and then he introduced himself saying, “My name is Jeremy.”
“I thanked him and told him my name. All through the lesson I kept looking over at him and he would always seem to know and turn his head and smile. After that we were just always together and he’d look out for me in the gym, and sports field. We used to take turns sleeping at each other’s houses but we used to like it best at my place. I used to have my own bedroom but Jeremy had to share his with his younger brother. So we could mess around till late at my place and not have to worry about waking anyone up. Sometimes my older brother or my dad would tell us to turn the noise down but otherwise we were left alone. Then one night I think it was after I had turned ten when we were lying in bed. We always slept together, and Jeremy would always hold me in his arms I don’t know why I just leaned over and kissed him on the lips and told him I loved him.” Patrick stopped talking to look at James’s reaction at what he’d just said. James looked back.
“So then what happened?”
“Doesn’t it worry you what I just said and did to Jeremy.”
“If it did would I still be here, so carry on with the story.”
“Uh, okay, well Jeremy lifted his head and kissed me back then squeezed me in his arms. After that we used to kiss whenever we had a chance, we did everything together until just before his twelfth birthday when he, and all his family were killed. I loved Jeremy so much and thought that God was really a big shit for taking him away from me. After that I couldn’t make friends with anyone else until we moved here and I got friendly with you. You look a little like Jeremy you have the same colour hair and if he was still alive he’d most probably be the same size as you. That’s why I got so frightened and started crying when you fell off the bike, I thought it was going to happen all over again.”
“It’s not going to happen again Patrick,” James said, brushing his hand through his friend’s hair, “I’m here to stay.”

They both heard the keys opening the front door, and then closing. “My mum and dad are back, come on James they’ll want to meet you.”
Patrick leapt off the bed and headed out of the bedroom. Outside he leaned over the banister rail and yelled, “Mum, Dad.”
He heard his father yell back, “Patrick, were in the kitchen son, we’re putting the groceries away.”
Patrick headed for the kitchen turning and yelling “Come on James let’s see what they’ve bought and if there’s anything interesting to eat.”
Patrick skidded into the kitchen with James on his heels said, “Hi mum, hi dad, this is my friend James, he goes to the same school as me and were hungry what’s to eat?” all in one breath.
His parents stopped what they were doing and stared when James walked into the kitchen. The months of concern for their youngest son seemed to drain away with the appearance of James.
Mr Jensen was the first to react he held his hand out saying, “We are certainly very glad to meet you James,” they shook hands and then the same ritual took place with Patrick’s mother.
“So what’s there to eat mum, I’m starving and I’m sure James must be as well.”
“There’s a pizza I’ve just put in the fridge that the two of you can share, put it in the microwave, but read the instructions first.”
“Okay mum,” he got the pizza out and started reading the instructions.

Half an hour later with their stomachs full they sat chatting in the sitting room. After a while Patrick asked, “James, can you spend the night here?”
“Yeah, but I’ll have to ask my parents if they say okay yes.”
“Right then, give them a call and ask them.”
“No, I’d better go home and ask them then if they say yes I can get my nightwear and a change of clothes.”
“Can I come with you?”
“Yeah, come on then.”
The boys got up and made their way out yelling their goodbyes to Patrick’s parents on the way out.”
“Patrick, get back here,” his mother called, reluctantly he returned to confront his mother.
“Where are you off to?”
“To ask James’s parents if he can spend the night here.”
“And when were you going to ask us if it was alright for him to stay here.”
“Oh, I’m sorry mum, can James stay the night please mum?”
“Alright,” and as her son made to leave, “Don’t I get a kiss before you go.”
After kissing his mother goodbye he joined James outside and immediately jumped onto the saddle holding onto James as he pedalled off to his house. Keeping to the pavements the two boys were as happy as boys can be in the company of each other and doing what they felt was the best fun in the world. As soon as they arrived at James’s house they jumped off the bike James letting it fall on the front lawn. He opened the front door with his key stepped inside and yelled out.
“Mum I’m home,”
“You don’t have to scream James,” his mother responded, “I can hear you I’m in the sitting room.”
“Sorry mum, umm this is my new friend Patrick,” he said walking into the room followed by Patrick.
Mrs King turned to look at the small bespectacled boy that followed James into the room. She was at once struck by the shyness of the boy as he tried to hide behind her son. Trying to make him feel more comfortable she said. “Come in Patrick I can’t quite see you come on over here so I can get a good look at you,” timidly Patrick stepped forward into Mrs King’s view.
“Come closer Patrick,” and she stretched a hand out to encourage him to approach her. James took him by the shoulder and propelled him towards his mother. As the boy neared taking Patrick’s hand she drew him towards her.
“Now let’s look at this fine specimen of a man that James has brought home,” as she studied Patrick she realised that he was completely different to all the friends that James had brought home in the past. The boy was so much smaller than her sons other friends and even with the spectacles which seem to add to his looks the boy was extremely good looking. To make the boy more at ease she pulled him into her lap and wrapped her arms around him saying, “I’ve got me a handsome young man and I’m not letting him go.”
“Mum leave off will you you’re embarrassing Patrick.”
She unwrapped her arms from around the boy, “I’m not embarrassing you am I?” She asked
“Patrick not moving from her lap now that he was free to do so said, “No Mrs King.”
“Alright mum, but can I spend the night at Patrick’s house please?”
“Yes by all means are you going to eat first and then go over?”
“No mum I can eat at Patrick’s house I only came to get a change of clothes if you said yes.”
“Alright, but what time can I expect you back tomorrow.”
“After lunch is that okay.”
“Alright then off you go,” she said giving Patrick a gentle push from off her lap.
James dashed out of the room calling to Patrick as he went, “Wait up outside by the bike I’ll only be a moment,” and he was gone his footsteps could be heard pounding up the stairs as he took them two at a time. Patrick said goodbye to James’s mother and went outside to the bike lifting it off the lawn to an upright position and waiting.
James yelled, “Bye mum,” and slammed the front door walking over to Patrick carrying a bag with his change of clothing.
“All set Patrick?”
“Yeah.”
“You want to pedal while I sit on the saddle.”
“No I don’t think I can do it, you’re a bit too heavy.”
“Come on have a go, I can keep the bike steady with my feet.”
“Okay,” and while James sat on the saddle with his feet firmly planted on the ground, Patrick stood up on the pedals with his hands applying the brakes as tightly as he could. Once he was balanced on the pedals he swivelled his head around to look at James, “Are you ready.”
Yeah.”
“Okay when I say go take your feet off the ground.” James waited for the command and when it came he gave the bike a little push forward with his feet and they took off. After releasing the brakes Patrick was straining every sinew in his small frame to get the momentum going so that the bike would keep straight, but it wobbled precariously and they would have crashed to the ground if James hadn’t stabilised them with his feet. Luckily there was a bit of a downward slope when leaving the house so they were able to gather speed and the bike kept a reasonable stable path. They shot through into the park yelling their heads off in excitement and out the other side making for Patrick’s house. Patrick was now finding the going a bit hard they were on a slight incline and gradually the bike started to wobble again as it slowed. “James I’ll have to stop I’m getting pooped going up this slope.”
“Okay, stop the bike and I’ll take over.”
They swapped places with Patrick hanging onto James with one hand and carrying his bag in the other.

When they reached the house they put the bike in the garage and entered the house together.
“Mum, Dad, we’re back we’re going to my room to put James’s bag away,” as they kicked their trainers off in the hall.
“Alright when you’re done come back down again so we can decide what you’re going to eat tonight.”
A couple of minutes later they were both downstairs in the sitting room.
“So have you anything in mind?” Mrs Jensen enquired of the two boys in front of her.
“Pizza mum.”
“Patrick you’ve already had pizza and it really isn’t considered a meal in itself. Actually seeing that I haven’t even started cooking, what about going out for a meal.”
“McDonalds the boy’s chorused in unison.”
“No, as a matter of fact at Luigi’s we can have some Italian food.”
“Mum, pizza is Italian.”
“Yes but I think we’ll give that a skip and I’m not going to argue the pro, and cons, about a proper meal and pizza,”
“I’ve been to Luigi’s,” James said, “It’s really very good I enjoyed the food when we went there.”
“Well that’s settled Luigi’s it is at seven this evening, and I expect you boys to be showered and dressed without me having to shout at you to get ready.”
“Yes mum. Mrs Jensen,” the boys voiced and left the room to make their way to Patrick’s bedroom.
“Oh man,” James wailed, “I didn’t bring anything decent to wear I only brought a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.”
“Okay James we still have time we can nip back to your house and pick up something.”
“Okay give it about another half hour then we can go home my dad will be back from the match and you can meet him.”


Half an hour later and James was getting ready to pedal off with Patrick in usual place on the saddle when they were stopped by Mr Jensen.
“You boys know that it’s against the law to cycle two on a bike?”
“Yes dad but we don’t go on the main road only the side roads and then we only stay on the pavement.”
“Okay but it’s still against the law, I’ll have to see about getting you your own bike Patrick.”
“I don’t want a bike dad just leave it as it is please," then turning to his companion, "Come on James let’s go, bye dad.” and James pedalled off yelling, “Bye Mr Jensen be back soon.”
When they were well on their way, James shouted over his shoulder, “Patrick why don’t you want your own bike?”
“You won’t think I’m stupid if I tell you.”
“If I thought you were stupid I wouldn’t have asked you.”
“Uh okay, umm I umm.”
“Come on Patrick I’m not going to think bad of you tell me.”
“If I had my own bike I couldn’t sit on the saddle of your bike and hold on to you like we’re doing at the moment.”
There was silence for a while then, “That’s the best reason of all for not having your own bike and if you did I’d miss having you behind on the saddle hanging on to me.”
James suddenly felt Patrick’s arms go right around his waist and hug him. The emotions that travelled through his body when that happened were like nothing else he had ever experienced he looked over his shoulder at his small companion and smiled.

When they reached James’s house they jumped off the bike and entered the house, “Mummm, where are you?” he shouted.
“In the kitchen, what did you want?”
Walking into the kitchen the two boys saw Mrs King preparing the food, “Mum we’re going to eat out tonight at Luigi’s so I came to get something to wear.”
“Alright you’re father has just gone to pick up your sister from her friend’s house he shouldn’t be too long.”
“Okay mum I’ll just go and get my clothes, come on Patrick.”
Inside James’s room there were posters on the wall of the United team and stars of various other sports dotted all around the room. Opening the cupboard he took out a jacket and trouser then stopped. “Shit I left my bag at your house now what do I carry it in.”
“No problem, leave them on the hanger and I can carry it on the bike and hold on to you with the other hand.”
“Good idea at least someone here has some brains.”
The two boys went downstairs to say goodbye to James’s mother when the front door opened and in walked James’s father and elder sister.
“Hi dad, hi sis, how did the match go haven’t had time to hear the results.”
“Hi son, we won 3-0,” his father responded, “who’s your friend?”
“Oh dad, meet Patrick Jensen he started at our school on Friday.”
“Mr King holding his hand out approached Patrick, “Nice to meet you Patrick,” shaking the boy by the hand.
James’s sister called out “Hi I’m Nicola,” and waked over to look at Patrick.
“So how long have you known wonder boy over there.”
“Uh, who what?”
“James, wonder boy don’t you know he has all the girls swooning around him he’s there fav…..
“Shut up sis, what’s got into you been stood up again.”
“James enough or you’ll be stopped from going out.”
“Dad you heard she started it.”
“And you Nicola I think you’d better keep your opinions of your brother to yourself. Mind you it wouldn’t hurt if you acquired some of your brothers attributes yourself.”
Nicole flounced out of the kitchen mumbling, “You always take his side.”
“So dad how was the match.”
“It was good, your cousin George was over the moon I think he must be still bending his parents ears about the match.”
“Alright dad we’d better be going we have to get back and changed to go out.”
“Well leave the bike behind and I’ll give you a lift in the car.”
“No,” both boys chorused together.
“Umm, it’s okay dad,” James said, “we rather go on the bike we have a more fun on it.”
“Okay but be careful and don’t go on the road.”
“Yes dad,” and the boy’s chorused their goodbyes and left the house.
Mr King watched from the front window as his son straddled the bike then wait for the smaller boy to climb on to the saddle hang on to his son with one hand and hold the clothes with the other. His son looked over his shoulder said something and they were off wobbling at first then steadying and disappearing out of the drive. Wistfully he turned away from the window the sight had brought back sweet memories of his own youth.

That night at about 10.30pm the boys said good night to Patrick’s parents and headed for bed. Inside the bathroom they took it in turns to quickly rinse their mouths and faces, and change into their nightwear. Patrick having placed his spectacles on the bedside table was the first into bed, taking the side closest to the window he was quickly followed by James. Now as it was approaching the end of April and the nights could still get quite cold Patrick rolled himself into a ball and stuck his head under the covers facing the window. He felt James get into the bed behind him and then felt James’s arm snake under his own and pull him into his body. The feelings that surged through him as James hugged him were the same he felt when Jeremy and he had been together.
Slowly Patrick turned stretching out from his curled up position, he hauled himself up till their faces were level then slowly leant forward and brought their lips together

Copyright © 2011 akisar61; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..