Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Summer - Walk on the Wild Side Entry

Archangel - 1. Chapter 1

Nick gave up on men until his best friend and roommate suggested they go out and have some fun. When he meets Alex, his world ends up turned on it's head, and maybe that isn't a good thing

 


Fuck! It wasn't a dream. What was he doing here? He should be home in bed, his bed, not with some guy he just met. An incredibly hot guy, but still.

'Let's go out and have a few drinks,' His roommate Trevor had said. 'Do you good to step out and go wild for a change.'

Alex stirred next to him. Probably never went to sleep, he realized. Looking over, he felt his chest tighten and the need to breath deep. God he was so beautiful.

"You okay, Nick?" Even his voice was amazing, so clear, pure.

He didn't believe in magic, but that was the best way he could describe his night.

"Just wondering what you see in me. You're so beautiful. Why settle for me?"

Strong arms slithered over, wrapping him tight. "You are stunning, Nick, but it's what I see inside that made me ask you home."

Great, this was a mercy fuck. They met less than six hours ago. No one could see 'inside' someone in a quarter of a day. Now he needed to find a polite way out the door.

"Please don't go." The arms pulled him closer.

Had he been that obvious? "I should go, it's getting late." Why did he care? Clearly he was just another notch in Alex's well-used pick up routine.

Alex laughed, freezing him in place. Like a favorite song that stirred his emotions, it was amazing. Damn, why did he always fall for the hot guy looking to fuck the new 'meat'?

"It's already late. Stay. Please?"

"Why?" If he could have turned, he would have run out. How pathetic had he just sounded? 'Like a whiney bitch,' Trevor would have said if Nick were at home. His roommate would have been right, too.

"Why, what?" One hand shifted to run fingers through Nick's hair.

"Why me? Was it a bet? Did my roommate put you up to this?" That was it. Everyone wanted Trevor. Those who he wanted, he got. Alex probably wanted to shag his best friend and this was the price. He knew Trevor was up to something when he suggested they go out.

"I told you, you're… the most beautiful person I've ever met."

The snort came out before he could stop it. "How much did Trevor pay you to sleep with his pathetic best friend?"

"What…?" Alex relaxed his grip just enough for Nick to slip away.

"Nice try." Searching frantically he found some of his clothes. "You almost had me until you dropped that 'most beautiful person ever' line. Beautiful and me are words that don't go together. On a scale of one to ten, I'm barely a four and that's on a good day."

"Nick." Alex stood in front of him, hands pressed to his shoulders.

How'd he… No one moved that fast. "Really, just let me go, please? Please."

He turned away, giving Nick a view of his amazing body. He looked like Michelangelo's statute. "I can't."

The words stopped Nick as he went to put on his tee shirt. Can't? "Why not?"

"I… I just know I need to keep you close." Turning his gaze back to Nick, Alex's shoulder's drooped and there was no sparkle in his eyes. "Please believe me, no one put me up to this."

Nick stood, boxers on, tee shirt in hand. The captivating voice lost none of its power, but now it felt like his heart was breaking. The fearful voice inside screamed at him to get dressed and leave, that this was just another user who only wanted to see what dating down felt like.

"Nick, I promise, I never meant for us to end up here. When I asked you to come home with me, it was just to talk, get to know each other. I'm sorry if I got carried away. But give me a chance to prove I'm serious. I'll put clothes on and we can fall asleep together."

The will to run and hide, to avoid putting himself in a position to get hurt, faded when he found himself staring into the bright hazel eyes. So far Alex was nothing like the other jerks who just wanted to get their rocks off. Maybe… best not to mind-fuck it, just have fun and see. Wasn't that what Trevor told him? Go wild?

Nick licked his dry lips, hoping he didn't smirk too much. "Or you could help me take mine off again."

"Or I could do that," Alex whispered, closing the distance between them. Gently he pushed Nick's hands away and slid the blue cotton underwear down the slim hairy legs. Leaning forward, he added, "Just sleep, I promise."

"Sounds nice." Nick inched closer, bringing their lips together. The hands guiding him back to the king bed danced over his sensitive skin. Definitely not like the others… so far.

**

Work had been eternal. He woke in Alex's arms, feeling secure and content. Despite their agreement to just sleep, they woke close to dawn and began to explore each other again. This time it wasn't a lustful frenetic exercise. Neither came and they drifted off again until Nick needed to get up. They showered together, but managed to keep to business. Mostly.

Alex drove him back across the city so Nick could get dressed. Much to his surprise, Alex waited to drive him to work so he wouldn't be late. It was also a shameless attempt to convince Nick to have dinner with him. The idea he would say, 'no,' never occurred to Nick, at least not when they were together. Doubt showed up when he was alone at work.

Finally home, he needed to shower and get dressed. Alex said it was semi formal to formal - which mean Nick needed to wear at least a tie. Trevor wasn't home yet, but Nick expected him to walk in any minute. He'd toss his slingpack on the couch, then pretend he was interested in Nick's day before launching into a withering cross examination to determine where Nick had been and what he'd done.

Adjusting the water temperature, he felt a twinge of regret. A shower meant he’d wash away the scent from his shower with Alex. Then the thought of recapturing it later tonight made him smile.

Catching his reflection in the mirror, he almost turned the water off so he could call and cancel. He was still the same, skinny, big-eared, crooked-nose dork whose wavy brown hair refused to do anything remotely attractive.

Self-esteem was not his strong suit, but at least he knew it. He was average looking with the hottest guy he'd ever met chasing him; hotter even than Trevor. Who was he kidding! This had nothing to do with low self-esteem, it was reality. People like Alex didn't date, much less pursue, guys like him. Well, not unless he was super rich, famous or royalty.

Then again, it would suck if Alex showed up as promised and he wasn't ready. Fine. A shower wouldn't hurt even if they didn't go out, at least he'd go to bed clean. Stepping out of his boxers he heard the hurricane that announced Trevor was home.

"Nick!" The front door slammed. "I know you're home."

How? With all the noise he made, how could he tell?

"Soooo…" Nick could almost feel the leer on his roommates face through the shower curtain. "Where did you go last night?"

"Slept in the park after you guys ditched me without cab fare to get home."

The shower curtain pulled back and Trevor stuck his face in. "Liar."

"Hey! Shut that. You had your chance two years ago and tossed me aside." It wasn't really true, Trevor had been really sweet when he told Nick they could only be friends.

Trevor stepped back. "We both know I'm not good enough for you. I'm a ho and you're the nicest guy I know."

Same old argument. He was about to agree Trevor was a slut when he heard something.

"Fuckin eh, Trev. Do you have to pee while I'm showering?" Nick shook his head, but it had no effect with Trevor on the other side.

"Sorry, bro, but I've hadda go the whole subway ride home. I promise I'll flush."

"Thank God for little favors." He was almost done, so he hoped Trevor would get out. As close as they were, he hated letting his friend see him naked. It was embarrassing.

"So what happened?" Clearly he wasn't going anywhere. From the sound outside the shower, at least he kept his promise.

"Alex and I went to his place… to talk and stuff."

Trevor laughed, poking his head back in the shower. "And stuff? How was the stuff?"

"Hey." Why did the implication he slept with Alex bother him? Not like he didn't think about hooking up. For a year he'd have given anything to sleep with Trevor. Hell, he still might have yesterday, if it was offered. "Just ‘cause you hook up in the first hour, doesn't mean everyone does."

"So you two didn't do anything but talk?"

Rinsing his hair, Nick saw the smirk Trevor gave him all the time. "Didn't say that."

"So you did sleep with him?"

Nick knew he looked guilty and could feel blood rush to his face.

"Ha! Don't bother, I can see you did. I knew it. The difference between us is you wanna be bad, but don't."

He didn't because he couldn't, not with guys he wanted at least. With a wet hand he shoved Trevor from the shower. "Thanks for reminding me I can't hook up 'cause I'm such an ugly troll."

"Nick, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way."

Anyone but him and Nick wouldn't believe it. Trevor was fiercely loyal and always trying to help him out. "Still came out bad, even if it's true."

"It's not true. Your man last night didn't think it was true." Nick detected the contrition in Trevor's voice. Crap. He shouldn't have over-reacted. "And he was about the hottest guy I've seen in that bar in forever."

"We'll see." He really wanted Trevor to go, but it was clear he wasn't. Turning the taps, he opened the curtain to get his towel.

Trevor leaned against the vanity, waiting. "What does that mean?"

Towel over his head, he waited to answer until his unruly hair was moderately dry. "Part of me feels like this is a prank. I seriously thought you put him up to at first, but he swore you didn't."

Trevor flinched before looking down. "Nick, you know I'd never do that. You also don't need it. Why you think you're ugly, I have no idea."

You mean other than you not finding me attractive? "Trev, not only is he amazingly hot, he's loaded. He drove me home this morning in a Maserati Quattroporte."

"No fucking way!" Trevor's eyes went wide. He was always pointing out high-end cars whenever they were walking around.

"Yeah, and he's taking me to D'Nardo's tonight."

Trevor mouthed the restaurant name. "Holy shit! How'd he score a reservation that fast? And what do you have to do for him if he takes you there?" Trevor chuckled at the last part.

Faking a sarcastic laugh, Nick wrapped the towel around his waist. "My point is, why me? I'm no one. Just a stupid claims adjustor, whose average looking on a good day, with nothing special about him. Alex is every gay man's dream."

"Whoa, stop." Trevor's cool hands felt good on his slightly wet shoulders. "I know I'm the worst person to try to bolster your confidence, but Nick, you are so cute, you just don't see it. And you are special. It's a horrible cliché I know, but you are the nicest person."

"If I'm so wonderful, why not us?" He knew the answer, but there were times it hurt enough that he'd ask.

Trevor's eyes conveyed to Nick a deep sadness as he slowly shook his head. "We've talked about this, Nick. I don't know if I can settle down yet. We're just twenty-four, I'm not ready. And I know you never believe me, but it's the truth so I'll keep saying it until you do. Knowing I couldn't be what you wanted, your monogamous boyfriend who'd never cheat, I wouldn't lead you on. I know what you want, and I'd love to get naked and go wild, too, but we're too close. I'd only hurt you and I won't do that. I love you more than you realize. All I want is for you to be happy.

"Look, I know what my rep is and I suppose it's justified. You stopped dating because you said all gay men want is to get down your pants then move on. If we'd hooked up, you know that I'd have moved on. This," he pointed to them, "is the most special thing in my life. Believe it or not, being just your friend is the one thing I think I've done right. My only regret is I see how sad you get when I hook up. There have been times I've been so close to giving in and saying let's do it, but I won't lose you or your friendship."

Nick heard a lot of this before, but something about the fervor in Trevor's voice made his eyes water. "Why… why are you telling me this now?"

"Because part of me is so jealous. And not because he's totally hot. Yeah, I'd love to have gone home with him, but he was clearly after you last night. I'm jealous that you found someone else to make you happy."

"Trevor, it was one night and we're going to dinner tonight, don't make more of it than it is." Who was he trying to convince, himself or Trevor?

"Doesn't matter that it's just one night, you're happy and he did it. Don't get me wrong, I really am happy for you. Really. But I'm honest enough to realize I'm also jealous."

Trevor's smile reinforced his words. After two years, Nick knew his roommate well enough to know when he was lying. This wasn't one of those times.

"Thanks." The word came out choked, barely a whisper. Nick leaned in and gave him a hug. For the first time in as long as he could remember, the urge to kiss him wasn't there.

"You're welcome. Now get ready, I really don't think I could handle seeing you two together with you in just a towel."

They both laughed, until the buzzer sounded.

"Shit!" Nick had lost track of time. "Let him in and stall, please?"

"You trust me to stall, with him?" He raised both eyebrows, causing Nick to laugh.

"Believe it or not, yes." He flicked his hands at Trevor. "Go."

Teeth brushed, hair combed - it actually looked half-way decent tonight - Nick skimmed through his stuff, quickly finding something appropriate. Throwing clothes on the bed, he opened his dresser to get a pair of boxers. Staring at them for a moment, he opted for the tight fitting, black CK trunks. His skinny legs and barely there butt probably looked stupid in them, but they make him feel a bit sexy, more than boxers anyway.

Slipping on a belt, he scanned his clothes, looking for something that didn't scream, 'work tie.' He quickly made the knot, slipped on his shoes - he'd tie them in the car - and grabbed a sports coat, just in case it was needed.

Staring at himself in the mirror, he drew a deep breath and held it. Relax.

He exhaled and made his way to the main living area. Trevor and Alex appeared deep in conversation. Alex spotted him and flashed him a smile. The dark suit with pale blue tie worked perfectly together, making him even more sexy.

Before he could stop himself, Nick said, "Wow, you look amazing dressed up."

"I was about to say the same to you." Running his eyes up and down, Alex's attention made Nick squirm. "Very nice."

"Thanks." Even Trevor was smirking. "What?"

"Nothing, just you do look good bro." He turned quickly to Alex and Nick couldn't see what passed between them. It appeared Alex and Trevor locked eyes, but just for a moment.

"Not a problem, Trevor." He held out his hand. "Nice talking to you. Hopefully I'll see you soon."

"Hopefully."

Nick didn't hear any tension in his friend's voice, so whatever it was between them, it was either in his mind or it was squashed.

"See ya, Trev. And thanks." A hug or kiss was out given how close Alex was, but he managed a lame wink.

"You bet." He winked back, giving Nick his silly, 'Trevor knows a secret' smile.

So far his night was off to a good start. Make that his day only was only getting better. A good sign, or so he hoped.

***

Rush hour traffic was heavier than usual and even the extra time they factored in threatened not to be enough. As difficult as it was to get a reservation at D'Nardo's, Nick worried they'd lose their table. When he voiced his concern to Alex, it was received with a shrug.

"Don't worry, they know me there. We'll be fine."

The happy smile Alex gave him, didn't relax Nick so much as make him not care. Dinner reservations lost? No problem. They'd figure something out.

"Trevor really cares about you."

That was random. "What makes you say that?"

"He told me in no uncertain terms, if I hurt you, I'd better leave the country." The small laugh let him know Alex didn't take Trevor too seriously.

"I've always known he cared, but until tonight I didn't realize just how much." Without wanting to, his mind replayed their earlier heart-to-heart. "I hope you know he's not serious."

"Actually I think he is, but I’m not worried."

"He's a level four in Krav Maga." Nick tried not to smile. Trevor just might hurt Alex if he had a reason. "You'd do well to at least not write him off as non-threatening."

"I'm quite capable of taking care of myself, his level four notwithstanding, but that's not the reason. I'm not worried because I have no intention of giving him a reason to be mad at me." He reached across, playing his hand on the back of Nick's neck.

Biting back the 'why' he wanted to ask, Nick closed his eyes to capture the sensations Alex's hand sent through his body. "That works for me too."

Alex chuckled as he pulled his hand back to shift gears. Scanning the interior, Nick soaked in as many details as possible. He needed the information for the inevitable grilling he was going to get from Trevor.

The untied laces caught his attention. Last thing he wanted was to embarrass Alex with how he was dressed. "This car is amazing," he said, bending over to tie his shoes. "I don't think I have this much space in my bedroom."

"It's a car."

Nick rolled his eyes, not that Alex could see it. "Please. A Honda Civic is a car, a Ford Focus is a car. A Maserati Quattroporte is…"

"Still a car." He spared a glance from the road to smile at Nick. "You, on the other hand, are one of a kind."

Thankful it was dark, Nick still turned to hide the flush he felt. "Sorry, Alex, I'm more like a Chevy- run of the mill."

"You can keep saying that, but it won't change my opinion." Traffic broke and Alex gave the high performance engine enough gas for its twelve cylinders to roar to life.

On a whim, he reached over, putting his hand on Alex's leg. He could feel the vibration from the car through his tight muscles. Remembering what they looked and felt like naked, Nick shook his head to stop such thoughts. He was not going to walk into a crowded five star restaurant chucking wood, or worse, with a wet spot.

"I should warn you," Alex said, his voice amused rather than ominous. "My brothers and I are majority investors in D'Nardo's. So expect people to know me."

"Wow!" He wanted to smack himself. 'Wow?' That was the best he could manage? "That would explain the ability to get reservations so easily. How many brothers do you have?"

"Three." Alex shifted again. "They don't live around here, but they visit often."

"Are you the oldest?" He knew almost nothing about Alex, maybe this was a good time to learn.

"Youngest. What about you? Siblings?"

That was a quick topic change. Nick got the hint Alex didn't want to talk about his family.

"Two sisters and an older brother." A brother who hated having a 'fairy' for a brother. "We're not close. My brother doesn't want a gay brother and he's managed to convince the family to ignore me."

"Sorry."

"No problem, I'm happy and they're all miserable people." He laughed at the description of his family. Now it was his turn not to talk about family. "How 'bout you and your brothers? Close?"

"Gabriel and I are close. Michael is… he's good to me, but we don't always agree. Fortunately it is always civil. Raphael and I are good, but we don't see much of each other. He doesn't come back from Europe much."

Nick couldn't suppress a small snort. "Gabriel, Michael, Raphael? Did your folks have an angel theme working when they named you guys? Though Alex isn't in keeping with that, so probably not."

"Uriel." Alex's voice was soft, drawing Nick's attention.

"What?"

"My first name is Uriel. Uriel Alexander Foster. I go by Alex. Less confused looks that way."

Nick watched the smile play across Alex's face. "Uriel. I like it, but Alex does suit you better."

The nod he got in return left him worried. What had he said wrong? They pulled up in front of the restaurant before he stewed over it too long.

"Nick," he pulled up the parking brake, "thanks for coming with me. I've been looking forward to this all day."

He leaned across, pressing his lips gently to Nick's. They separated just before the doors opened from the outside.

"Good evening, sir," the valet said, handing Alex a stub.

Alex almost glided around the car, appearing at Nick's side. When he felt the hand touch his, Nick flinched, yanking his hand away.

"It's okay, no one cares."

When he felt Alex's fingers slide around his, he squeezed back. He was smooth, Nick had to give him that. But it was genuine, or at least he thought so. Drawing him along, Alex led the way inside.

"Uriel!" The Maitre d’ called to them in a thick accent. "So nice to see you again. And who is this handsome young man with you?"

"Domenico, this is Nicholas Fenton." He smiled as the older man adjusted his tuxedo jacket. The mostly grey hair gave him a distinguished look of authority.

"A pleasure to meet you, sir. Our friend," he turned briefly toward Alex, "he is always alone or with his brothers. It's good he found someone."

Being the center of attention left him fighting the urge to stare at his feet. Alex let go of his right hand, and Nick extended it to the man. "Nice to meet you, sir."

Domenico accepted the hand with a warm smile. Pumping Nick's arm, he clapped him firmly on the shoulder. "Such manners. Domenico, please. When you are here, you are the only 'sir'. I am here to take care of you. Come, your table is ready."

Weaving through the crowded restaurant, he felt Alex fumble for his free hand. This time he took it eagerly, hoping it would calm him. This was easily the nicest restaurant he'd ever been too. Hell, he probably couldn't afford the tip.

Several people greeted Alex, but most just stared at the pair working their way to a booth in the back.

"As you requested," Domenico said with a flourish. A bottle of champagne in an ice bucket next to their table. "I believe this is the bottle you wanted."

Nick stared at the crowded room, aware the eyes of more than a few were on them, on him mostly. Sliding over, Alex smiled reassuringly at him from the other side. The Maitre d’ worked the cork, resulting in a loud pop that caught him off guard.

A moment later, a tall, late-twenties server sauntered over.

"Ah, Giacomo is here. He will take very good care of you both."

"Thank you, Domenico." Alex nodded as the man backed away, leaving their waiter to take over.

"Nice to see you again, sir," he said, filling each of their flutes.

"James, this is Nick."

"Hello." He smiled, but it felt forced, almost angry.

The young man's brown eyes worked their way up and down, making Nick feel like he was being evaluated. Probably am, he's gorgeous. No doubt, he wondered why Alex was on a date with someone as plain as Nick.

"James," Alex's voice drew the man's eyes. His smile turned from angry to fawning.

"Yes, sir?"

Alex kept his gaze and smile at Nick, almost as if he read his distress. "Can you bring us some sparkling water please?"

The dismissal was not lost on James, as his sideward glance at Nick confirmed. When he didn't move, Alex turned, his brows knitted closer. Their waiter snapped up and walked off. Watching James as he left, Nick felt his face scrunch up.

"Great, now he's gonna spit in my food." He hadn't mean to voice his concern, but James's snotty attitude bothered him. It wasn't like he'd chased Alex, trying to bag the prize.

Not saying a word, Alex's lips tightened and he excused himself.

Shit! Not five minutes at the table and he was already causing trouble. Maybe he should go. He could take the subway if he couldn't get Trevor to come get him. Shit! If he called Trevor, he'd take it out on Alex. Then again, if he walked out, he'd never see Alex again so it wouldn't matter.

Yeah, he should go. It wasn't like he and Alex had a future, not if this was his life. Setting the napkin on the table, he started to slip out.

"Going somewhere?" The snide tone of James's voice tore at his nerves.

"Home," he tried to glare at the man, but the attempt felt foolish. James beat him hands-down in the nasty category. In others too. "We both know I don't belong here."

"No, you don't."

"Yes, you do." Alex stood behind them, Domenico next to him, rubbing his hands.

"Alex…" Embarrassed, Nick knew he’d screwed up on any level. "Sorry. I'll just go."

Nick made it two steps when a hand gripped him hard enough to pull him to a halt. His eyes went from Alex's face to the hand on his arm and back.

"Please, don't go. If you want to go somewhere else, we can, but stay with me."

Without meaning to, he squeezed his eyes tight and shook his head. Why would anyone like Alex want him to stay? James, for all that he was a waiter, was a better date then Nick. What the hell was he doing here?

Opening his eyes, he watched a pale James being guided away by the host. He looked back once, catching Nick's eye. It might have been contrition Nick saw, but he suspected it was hatred.

"You didn't fire him, did you?"

"Not that he doesn't deserve it, but no." He motioned for Nick to sit. "If you don't want to sit, we can leave."

He shook his head and sat down. "No, you went to a lot of effort to make this nice." Why, he didn't know.

"Do I make you feel uncomfortable?" The soft voice and pleading eyes caused a tightening in Nick's chest that made it hard to breathe.

He shook his head, then nodded. "Yes." The pain on Alex's face felt like a punch in the gut. "It's not your fault, you haven't done anything except be super nice to me. I just don't belong in your world." Not even in his universe.

"Nick, that's crazy." A hand stretched across the white tablecloth. His palms were clammy when Alex grabbed his hand. "Where does this ridiculous insecurity come from?"

Between one heartbeat and the next, he almost believed Alex. Then reality slapped him out of his fantasy. "Alex, I'm not insecure, just realistic. Trevor called you the hottest guy he'd seen in forever, and that's something coming from him. Me? I'm just the guy who hangs out with Trevor. The one people think is nice, but unremarkable." He held up his hand when it seemed Alex was going to butt in. "Let me finish. It's true, I'm the one no one looks at twice. Don't feel bad, I'm fine with it. We can't all look like you and Trevor.

"Beyond looks, I'm a claims adjustor with no future. I make my rent, the rest of my bills get paid, and that's about it. Your car alone is worth more than all the money I've earned in my life. Be honest, I'm not in your league."

Alex stared at him, making Nick squirm. Had he insulted Alex? Did he say too much? Finally, Alex nodded. "Are you finished?"

Eyes fixed on the water glass in his hand, Nick said, "Yeah."

"When did they pass a law saying there were classes for people to live within? I'm out of your league? Who decided that?" There was a hint of anger in his voice, subtle, but enough for Nick to keep his gaze down.

"Nick, look at me, please." The tone softened, taking on a note of urgency. Nick tilted his head up to find Alex staring him in the eyes. "If you're average, then sign me up. I was smitten the moment I saw you."

"Smitten?" He laughed. "That's a word you don't hear much."

"Sue me."

The strong fingers holding his hand squeezed gently. "Will you lend me the money for a lawyer?"

"No." Alex laughed, visibly relaxing. "Nick, I know if I say just don't worry about things so much, it won't help, but will you at least give us a chance before you decide you're not good enough? Shouldn't that be for me to decide?"

"Decide? Alex…." Letting Alex decide meant sticking around, waiting to be hurt. "I don't want to get hurt."

He tried to pull his hand back, but Alex wouldn't release his grip. "Nick, getting hurt works both ways. It's a risk we all take if we want to find someone special."

Logic told him Alex was right. If he never took a chance, he'd never get what he wanted- to wake up every morning like he did today. "I know, but it scares me. Risk is fine if there is a reasonable chance of success, it’s foolish when the odds are against you."

Alex withdrew his hand, falling back in his seat. "Are you applying your work to your heart?"

Nick flinched when he saw the sadness in Alex's eyes. Was that what he was doing? No, not exactly. Just because it was a principle of insurance didn't make it any less valid here.

"No." He shook his head. "This isn't work, it's reality."

"You're awful fond of that word, you know." He paused a moment then smiled.

Nick couldn't help returning the grin. "Maybe, but sometimes it's true."

He took a deep breath, trying to collect his thoughts. Trusting Alex was a leap, it required more risk than he was used to taking. And the warning signs were there. If only….

"Alex, it would help if I knew why." Alex stared blankly at him. "You said I was the most beautiful person you've met, that it's what's inside that attracts you. But you don't know me well enough to say that, not yet at least. That's what scares me."

For an instant, Nick was certain Alex was going to walk off, offended by his question. Keeping his eyes on the table, Alex looked conflicted. Not wanting to look away, Nick nevertheless turned when he noticed the Maitre d’ pointing in their direction.

It wasn't Domenico that kept his attention, it was the tall blond man walking toward them. Since he didn't know him, he must be looking for Alex. "I think someone's here for you."

"What?" Turning, Alex smiled. The recognition in the other man's eyes sent a stab of pain through Nick's body.

And so it ends. Here was someone worthy of Alex. Handsome- amazingly so- his suit did nothing to hide the trim, athletic body underneath. Heads turned to follow him as he made directly for them.

"Should I go?"

"What?…. No, not at all. Why…." Alex's face went from confused to understanding. "Nick, that's my brother Gabriel."

Nick mouthed the name even as Gabriel made it to their table. The brothers embraced as Nick sat affixed to his seat. Brother? Why did that surprise him? They were both beautiful.

"Gabe, this is Nick."

Hearing his name broke his introspection, reminding him to stand up. "Nice to meet you Mr. Foster."

"Gabe, please," he said. Gabriel's eyes grabbed at Nick's, locking them together. The room wavered for an instant, causing him to blink. When he opened his eyes, Gabriel was smiling warmly. "Alex mentioned he was having dinner with you tonight, so I apologize for intruding, but I had something I needed to discuss with him. It won't take a minute."

"Did you want me to go to the men's room or something?"

"No, you're fine." Alex slid over, allowing his brother to sit next to him.

"I checked as you asked." Gabriel turned to face Alex. "You were right."

"Are you sure?" There was a hint of excitement in his voice, but it was tempered by something else Nick couldn't name.

"Positive. If you want my advice, you'd be wise to address it as soon as possible."

"Are things moving that quickly?" Now Nick saw it, fear. Why would Gabriel come here in person, now, and give him such news?

Gabriel shook his head. "Not that I can tell. I just think it's best to deal with it now rather than wait for an ideal time. In my experience, the perfect time never happens."

"Probably true." Alex's body lost the tightness that suggested he was about to pounce. "Have you told Michael and Raphael?"

"Only in general terms. I didn't confirm your suspicions. Michael agreed that if I was able to confirm things, you should deal with it. Raphael of course thinks he should be allowed to verify things for himself."

"Of course." The brothers laughed. Nick didn't understand, which he knew was their intention.

"No worries, Michael told him not to interfere. He won't challenge that."

Alex nodded, his lips pressed so tightly they almost disappeared. "Agreed."

Gabriel clapped a hand to his brother's back and rubbed it gently. "I think I should go now."

They exited the booth, hugging each other again. This time, Nick stood up, feeling awkward, but determined to be polite. Gabriel turned toward him, offering his hand.

"Nice to meet you, Nick. Sorry again for disturbing you two."

"Good meeting you, too."

A few second later, it was just the two of them.

"Sorry," Alex said. "I didn't expect him to pop in like that."

"It's fine," he lied. The visit unnerved him as much for the code they spoke in as for the realization that Alex was surrounded by people so much better looking than him. "Did you need to go deal with something?"

"No, no." Again Alex's expression puzzled him. "But can I ask a favor?"

"You can ask, I don't know I can give it to you." The small shrug earned him a soft chuckle.

"Can we eat dinner first, then I'll answer your question?"

"Question?" It took a moment for him to remember what they were talking about before Gabriel's arrival. That Alex remembered pushed his doubts a tiny bit deeper. "Sure. That'll be fine."

Surprisingly, he realized he meant it.

***

Nick stood by the large window staring at the city below. A penthouse in New York. He was actually standing in a real penthouse, sixty odd stories above the city. The apartment was - like everything else about Alex - amazing.

"Heck of a view." Hands slipped around his waist, pulling him back.

It bothered him he didn't notice more about the place last night. Sure, he knew they were high up, but they went directly to the bedroom without showing him around. How big of a slut was he?

"It's incredible, Alex." Squeezing the arms around him, Nick willed himself to relax, succeeding only marginally. "I feel a bit cheap that I didn't ask for a tour yesterday."

Lips pressed against the back of his neck. "That's my fault. I led you right to the bedroom because that's where I wanted you. Normally I'm a bit more reserved than that, but you inspired me."

Nervous laughter escaped him. Alex's explanation didn't make him feel better about himself. He was going to challenge the statement until he remembered he didn't normally rush to the bedroom either, yet he did last night. All too willingly.

"Will you tell me now?"

Arms tensed around him. Alex knew what he was asking. "Yes. Why don't we sit down?"

Standing here was so nice, why did they have to sit? Alex led him to the couch, looking around as if searching for something.

"I'm not exactly sure how to explain things. It's complicated and I'm not sure you're going to believe me."

Nick felt a twinge in his chest that spread all over. What's so complicated about explaining his comment?

"Do you believe in God?" Alex's question only furthered his confusion.

"God? You're going to tell me God speaks to you?"

Finally Alex relaxed enough to smile. "No, Nick, that isn't even close. But do you?"

"No, not really." He wasn't sure anymore, wasn't sure he wanted to believe. "I don't understand how or why God would allow so much suffering if He was real. The whole 'free will' answer is lame. It's nothing more than a simplistic answer that you can't prove or disprove. So I'm not sure anymore. Why?"

"What about angels? Do you believe in them?"

Where was this going? God? Angels? "Oh my god." His voice was barely a whisper. Alex was trying to convert him.

Alex shook his head. "I'm scaring you and I don't mean to."

Standing, he faced Nick. "I asked if you believe in God and angels because I'm an angel- an archangel, actually."

Scanning Alex's face, Nick searched for a sign he was joking. Finally he just started laughing. "So your mother names you and your brothers after archangels and you believe you're one of them for real?"

Now he understood why Alex was so into him; he was crazy. "Maybe I should go." He stood up, staring at Alex, waiting for something, anything to say he was kidding. "You're not…."

The pale blue shirt stretched taut across Alex's chest, pulling at the buttons. Before Nick could find the source, white feathers burst from each side of his back, tearing the shirt off Alex's body. Fully extended, the wings were nearly ten feet across.

"Holy shit!" Nick fell back onto the couch, vaguely aware his mouth was open.

"I really am an angel, Nick." Alex flexed his wings one more time, then pulled them in until they were gone. "And so are you."

The last four words hit him like a mallet. Me? What about me?

Pulling the last pieces of shirt off his torso, Alex knelt in front of Nick. "I told you it was complicated."

"How?" Even the one word barely came out. "I'm not dead, am I?"

"Will you hear me out, please?" Alex's eye went big, pleading with Nick to listen.

All he could manage was a nod. What else could he do? The man had wings. He really was an angel.

"My brothers and I are the leaders of our people. My real name is unpronounceable in your language. We came to Earth through a one way fissure in the fabric of space…."

"You… you're not human?" Why did he ask that? The man had wings. Of course he wasn't human.

"No, when we came to Earth we altered our form to fit in. We heard the stories about angels and we stepped into those roles to help hide who we were."

Fit in? No one believed in angels anymore. Not really. "How old are you?"

Alex shrugged. "Hard to say. Our days were shorter and our years longer on our home planet. I've lived on earth for over 3,500 years."

"Holy shit!" He whispered. "So how am I one of you?"

"One of our kind, an angel, some time back must be an ancestor. Normally when we breed with humans, our offspring are human. We've found, however, that our genome can be recessive. It's so rare that it's only happened about ten times that we know of."

"How can I be one of you? I don't have wings or anything.”

"It takes a very long time for your power to manifest itself. Anywhere from fifty to a hundred years."

"A hundred years?"

"Nick, relax, there'll be time to figure it out."

Something was wrong, he could feel it. Alex's words came with a hint of sadness. "What's wrong? What aren't you telling me?"

"First, let me finish answering the 'why you' question."

So there was a problem. Nick swallowed twice to keep his dinner down. "Okay."

"Trevor is one of us, too. He's an angel. Even though he didn't know what you were, he felt you were different, special. He's been watching over you to make sure you're okay."

How could Trevor betray him like this? "You two know each other?"

"No and yes." Alex stretched. Naked from the waist up, Nick couldn't tear his eyes from the incredible body. "Everyone of our kind 'knows' my brothers and me. We're the leaders of our race. But we'd never met until nine days ago."

"What happened nine days ago?" He wanted to leave, run away, but he needed to hear more.

"Trevor finally realized what it was that drew him to you and contacted me."

How convenient that his 'best friend', who had been watching him, called his 'leader' and suddenly said leader is in love with him. "Why you?"

"I live here."

There had to be more than that. "Doesn't Gabriel?"

Alex shook his head casually. "No, he's in Los Angeles. He came here just to meet you."

"So I was on display tonight." The pit of his stomach that he didn't think could feel heavier doubled in weight. "Everything, Trevor, you, it's all been a lie."

It wasn't a question. Trevor manipulated him to get him here. For reasons only they knew, Trevor and Alex worked to bring him and Alex together.

"No, Nick." His hands reached up to grab Nick's arm, then dropped away. How could someone so confident be so unsettled around him? "Please, let me finish."

Bad enough Trevor lied about who he was, but all that crap about just wanting to be friends and can't settle down? God, how stupid had he been!

"Trevor arranged for us to meet. We decided Finnigan's was a good place since we've all been there before."

He nodded, barely hearing the words. Trevor set him up. Tricked him to meet Alex so Alex could reel him in.

"So it was a set up? Trevor telling me to live a bit, step out and go wild. It was all crap, just to lure me there." Get me there so Alex could prey on me.

"It wasn't a set up." Alex kept silent, staring at Nick.

At first he tried to meet Alex's eyes, hoping he could show how angry he was at being lied to. But it overwhelmed him, as if all Alex's hope, despair, sadness, love, were pouring into him. When he blinked, he turned away. Was Alex trying to control him somehow?

"Trevor is a relatively young angel, he wanted to be sure, before he said anything."

Sure? "Before he said what?"

Alex didn't answer. He swallowed hard, then stood up.

"You're still not telling me something." Nick wasn't sure he wanted to know. What if there were more? Worse, what if the more was bad?

Nick watched Alex stare out the window. In the reflection he could see Alex squeeze his eyes closed, twisting his face into a knot. "No, I'm not, but it's not my place to speak for him."

"Not your place? How can you tell me you know something, then say you won't tell me? If it's not for you to say who…." Nick's chest squeezed so tight he could barely breathe. Barely audible to even himself, Nick whispered, "Trevor."

Alex gave no sign he heard the last word, his breathing the only motion he made.

"What were you and Trevor fighting about when I came out of my room?"

Putting both hands on the floor to ceiling window, Alex let his head sag. "Trevor brought you to me to confirm what he hoped was true."

Trevor wanted him to be an angel. Why? "And you did. Wasn't that what he wanted?"

Shaking his head, Alex finally turned around. His bleary, red eyes drew a gasp from Nick.

The force of Alex's emotions hit him like a punch in the gut, preventing him from breathing. "Alex?"

His voice was strained, bringing Alex rushing over. "Nick! Are you alright? What happened?"

Panting, he recovered his breath. "I don't know. Suddenly I was overwhelmed."

Drawing a few deep breaths, he nodded. "Better now."

"You need to go home." Alex's words were not supported by his face. "Trevor is there. You two need to talk."

"But…?" Two fingers touched his lips, causing his protest to die on his tongue.

"I've said enough." He leaned over kissing Nick gently. "Trevor can explain. After you two speak, if you still want to see me, I'll be here."

"What are you talking about?"

Again he shook his head. "Not now."

Placing his lips on Nick's forehead, he moved away. Nick could hear him talking on his phone from the bedroom at the far end of the apartment. What was being said he couldn't quite hear. Less than a minute later, Alex returned, wearing a white tee shirt.

"A driver will meet you in the lobby."

"Alex, please…"

Smiling, Alex laced his fingers with Nick's. "I'll be here. Promise. When you're done, call me, and I'll come get you."

'If you still want me,' was clear in his tone. Peering into the eyes of this man he’d only met a day before, Nick found he couldn't let go. Gently Alex unwound their hands, kissing him deeply.

"Nothing will happen to me, or us, but you need to go. When you're ready, I'll be here."

Two tears rolled down his face. How could he be this upset? They didn't, couldn't know each other that well. Closing his eyes to clear his vision, he felt Alex's hands on his face, carefully wiping the drops away.

"It will be okay, Nick. Really."

"Promise?" His attempt to laugh came out a sob.

"I promise." Alex's lips were so close, Nick felt his breath as he spoke. Opening his eyes, he stared into the bright hazel ones inches away. Their lips touched, helping calm his emotions before he let Alex lead him to the lobby.

**

Walking up the last flight of stairs, Nick hoped Trevor wasn't home. He would be, that much he knew, but he still held out hope.

"Hey, Nick," Trevor's called from the couch. "You're back early. Everything okay?"

Pushing down the anger, Nick turned the locks. Trevor knew what was going to happen at dinner. Just as he knew Alex would send him home afterward.

"He told me, Trevor."

"Told you?"

"Nice try." He wasn't pleasant, nor did he want to be. With his emotions this raw, he wanted the truth. "Why'd you lie to me?"

Trevor's eyes burned and he opened his mouth, then shut it quickly. Running his hand over the top of the cushion, he shrugged. "It wasn't deliberate, at least not at first."

"Look, I get you couldn't tell me you were an angel, but why torture me this last year?"

Shaking his head, Trevor said, "No… no, I wasn't trying to torture you, me maybe, but never you."

"What does that mean?" This wasn't how he expected this to go. Alex, contrite and caring, made it sound like Trevor was angry.

"Nick…." He moved to his right, clearing space for his roommate. Eyeing him carefully, Nick sat against the left arm, staring at Trevor. "You said Alex told. Did he tell you everything?"

"No, he said there were things he couldn't tell me, that it wasn't his place."

"I see." He kept nodding, never looking over. "That was decent of him."

Nick saw himself as a ball being hit back and forth, leaving the other side to make a mistake. Trevor owed him answers. "Are you going to explain?"

"Yes." He stopped nodding and turned around. "Alex told you, he and I are angels, right?"

"Yes, he's an archangel, you're a relatively young angel, and somehow I'm an angel too."

"Relatively young is an understatement for our kind." Trevor smiled. "I'm not much older than you."

"Alex said we don't get our powers until between fifty and a hundred years old."

"True, I haven't gotten mine yet, either."

"But Alex said you could sense I was different." Had he misunderstood? "If you have no powers, how did you do that?"

Another smile. "I grew up with angels. Even though I don't have my powers yet, I've been around others who do and was taught how to use them when they do appear. Being attuned to them, I can feel things humans can't. You probably can too, with a bit of coaching."

Processing what was said, he nodded. "Go on."

"When I met you, I felt something. To be honest, I wasn't sure what it was. At first I thought you were my soul mate…."

Nick squinted, drawing his eyebrows together in a scowl. "Soul mate? Are you saying you thought you were in love with me?"

"No, I mean yes … no." Trevor jerked his head, drawing his hands up in frustration. "Some call it a curse, others a blessing, but our people know their soul mate the moment they meet. It's a mystery we've never figured out, but it's true. Most of us go through our lives without meeting such a person. People fall in love, or forge ties to satisfy emotional or physical needs, but we all hope to one day meet our true love.

"When I met you, I wasn't sure if that's what I felt. Remember, I don't have my full powers yet."

"But you knew, or at least you thought, I was human. How could I be your soul mate?"

His bottom lip curled over his top as Trevor shook his head. "Human, angel, doesn't matter. Plenty of angels meet their one and only and find it's a human. It is a terrible tragedy, because humans don't live forever and nothing we do can prevent death from coming."

"What happens to the angels whose one and only is a human?"

"I've never met anyone like that, but I'm told they don't do well. A very few find love again, but it is nothing like what they've experienced before."

"Sounds painful." Never having been in love, Nick couldn't fathom the pain it could cause.

"Very." Trevor's face was as serious as Nick ever saw. "It's not like an ordinary love, Nick. That's painful enough. Soul mates are bound on a level so intimate they can almost feel what the other touches. It's a blessing and a curse."

He opened his mouth to ask a follow up then snapped it shut. So much made sense. "You were afraid."

Trevor nodded. "Very."

All the anger, frustration, disappointed melted from him as he looked at Trevor. "I'm so sorry I was such an asshole to you."

"No, no, Nick, you were never that." He moved closer to grab Nick's hand. "I'm the one who should be sorry. I was afraid to commit to you, but just as afraid to back away. What if you were the one? Then what?"

Gently rubbing Trevor's hand, he refused to look up. "I meant about last night and tonight. If I'd have known …."

"You would have and should have done the same thing. You don't pass on your soul mate."

"Still, it was rude of me to go off with Alex like…" Did he just say…. "Soul mate?"

"Alex didn't tell you?"

"No." Why didn't he? "He seemed upset about him and you."

"Um yeah, about that." Studying his nails, it was Trevor who avoided eye contact. "Today I told him what an asshole he was when he came to get you. You have to understand, I've loved you for over a year. At first I was afraid you were my soul mate and that scared the hell out of me. If you were and I lost you… well…." He shrugged

Trevor loved him? When did that happen?

"I finally realized what I felt from you wasn't the pull of a soul mate, but something else. It took me a bit of time to figure it out. At first I didn't dare to hope. I mean if you were an angel… I knew you loved me and it would have been perfect. But I needed to be sure before I dropped everything on you like that."

"So you tricked me into meeting Alex."

Looking embarrassed, Trevor nodded. "Yeah. I mean, no, not tricked, but I wanted to find a way to get confirmation that didn't seem weird."

An image of him on a table being examined made Nick laugh. "Yeah, I guess being a slab of meat at Finnigan's isn't too weird, even for me."

"Yeah, great idea it was, too." Trevor's lips pulled tight, forcing the left side up. He'd seen Trevor do it a thousand times when something bothered him. "I'd never seen two people so caught up in each other so fast. Hell, I'd never seen you show interest in anyone before besides…."

"Besides you," Nick finished, feeling like shit. Here was his best friend, someone who watched over him through everything, who secretly loved him, and on the night he was finally able to be honest with his feelings, Nick punched him in the gut. "Trevor…."

"No, you don't need to say anything." There was no anger in his voice, only resignation and a bit of sadness. "You have no idea just how special you are, Nick."

"Everyone keeps saying that, but I'm still nobody."

Before he could look up, Trevor was seated next to him, arm around his shoulder. "Alex didn't tell you everything."

"No, he didn't tell me a lot of this." He should have been mad, but it was the right thing to let Trevor tell Nick how he felt.

"I know, it wasn't a question." Trevor pulled Nick closer. "Alex sent me a text telling me I should explain everything to you. Nick, you're not just an angel, you're an archangel, the only one ever born to human parents."

"Why didn't Alex tell me?" Why would he give Trevor the go ahead to tell him this? "Is he afraid to tell me?"

Trevor stroked his head, making Nick feel content and conflicted at the same time. Here was something he dreamed of for so long, but now that it was happening, he couldn't say he didn't wanted it to be with Alex. Alex who he barely knew, but who he couldn't push out of his thoughts.

"I don't know, maybe."

Maybe? He looked up, sure he looked as confused as he felt.

"Alex is old, one of the oldest of our race. In all his years, he's never been in love."

"But he's…." He almost said, 'so old.'

"Exactly. There's a rumor about it, but he should tell you, not me. The important thing is he's been waiting for you his whole life. Where others found lovers to pass the years, he waited. I'm not saying he was chaste, but among our kind, people fall in love even if it's not with their soul mate. Which," he gave Nick an evil smirk, "can cause problems if the 'one' suddenly shows up, but it's something we accept."

The flood of emotions he got from Alex before he left came into focus. He was in love and scared, deathly scared, to lose Nick.

"What if I'm not in love with him and want to be with someone else?"

He slammed his eyes shut. How could he say that while Trevor was holding him?

"Is that really what you want?" The sadness mixed with hope tore at Nick. Trevor shook his head, but never let go. "Sorry, I have no right to ask you that."

"I don't know what I want, Trevor. This is a lot to swallow." He tried to make eye contact, but Trevor wouldn't look up. As confused as he was, he knew he already had feelings, strong feelings, for Alex.

"The ins and outs of soul mates are new to me, too, Nick. I suspect when your true powers emerge, you will know it, too. It has never been otherwise. People married for centuries have split up when they meet their intended. It is a facet of our lives. If you walk away, I don't know what he'll do, but eventually you'll go back to him."

Nick wanted to laugh at the absurdity of what he heard, but there was so much sadness in Trevor's voice, he couldn't. "So basically one day I'll come to my senses."

"Yeah." He gave Nick an embarrassed smile. "Listen, I think you already know he's the one. You should give him a chance."

"Trevor…." Before he could stop himself, he leaned in and kissed him. Not the friendly peck of the cheek they'd given each other over the last year, but a deep, passionate kiss. When they broke, Nick recoiled at what he'd done. "Trevor, I'm so sorry. I don't know why I did that."

Instead of anger, Nick was met with a smile. "Don't be. I've wanted to do that for so long. Not to complicate things, but I'm always going to love you, Nick. I think you will feel the same for me, but I know it won't come close to your feelings for Alex."

Tears he didn't want to shed, fell from his cheek. "Why does this hurt so much then?"

"Because you love me, and don't want to hurt me." Trevor smiled, gently brushing aside a tear.

Nick nodded. He loved Trevor, but his feelings weren't as intense as they were for Alex.

"I'd better let you go or else I'm going to drag you into my bedroom," Trevor joked.

"Trevor…." His answer was cut off.

"You don't need to explain." The sad smile only reinforced Nick's resolve.

Flashing Trevor an evil grin, he said, "I wasn't going to explain, doofus. I was going to say, if I knew it wouldn't hurt you more, I'd go without being dragged."

Arching his left eyebrow, Trevor peered down his nose. "Really? Quiet little Nicholas is offering to seduce me?"

The playful edge faded. "Trevor, I've loved you for as long as we've lived together, longer even. I'm so confused right now. I feel things for Alex I shouldn't after one day, but I am not sure I can call them love. Now, after you explained it, I know what they mean, but until I know him better, I can't say I love him, yet."

"I hear a 'but' coming." Trevor laughed, still inches away.

"There's no 'but'. Though my future lies with Alex, it doesn't change my feelings for you." How did he tell Trevor how he felt? "If you tell me it will make you happy, I'd gladly go with you. Just be sure it won't make things worse."

Trevor snickered, then started to laugh. "This is not the innocent Nick I know."

Was Trevor calling him cheap? All he wanted was to show Trevor he cared, not be a slut. Trevor's hand on his face interrupted his thoughts.

"Nick, don't get upset. I'm so flattered, you have no idea."

"But…."

"But are you sure? I'll be fine, or at least I don't think tonight will change things for me. Either way, I'll still have feelings for you. It's you I worry about. I'm the cheap ho, not you."

Nick smiled at the characterization. "Spending the night with someone you love hardly makes you cheap."

"I can't believe I'm going to ask this again, but are you sure?"

Nick lean closer, kissing the man he’d dreamed about so often. "I'm sure."

"Your room or mine?" The playful twinkle in his eye, meant for him, not someone else, evoked a nervous laugh.

"Mine, of course. My bed still needs to get broken in."

"Prude." Trevor rolled his eyes.

"Ho!"

Still laughing, Trevor pulled him off the couch. "I need to shower, wanna join me?"

"Not right now." He gave Trevor a wink. "After we’re all sweaty, we can shower together."

"You sure? Be a good way to start."

"Yeah, I need to call Alex first." He tried not to let it dampen the mood. "Go, it'll be fine. Don't make me wait or I might need to hand-le things myself."

A low groan escaped Trevor's lips. "Awful, just awful."

Sticking his tongue out, he found his phone. "I'll make it up to you, when you're clean."

Trevor peeled off his shirt, tossing it into his room. "Sounds like a deal to me."

**

Trudging down the stairs, sore in places he hadn't been in years, he found Alex pacing in front of his building. The irritated scowl frightened him. Had he made an awful mistake? Would Alex take it out on Trevor? Not if he could help it.

When Alex noticed him, he met the gaze with some trepidation. The scowl melted, replaced by a huge smile that washed away Nick's anxiety. Passing the aluminum row of mailboxes, he ran his hand over them. This was goodbye, goodbye to so many things.

Shifting the bag over his shoulder, he pushed the door open. If he thought Alex's smile couldn't get bigger he was wrong. Still, some doubt lingered.

"Hey Alex. Thanks for picking me up."

"Thanks for letting me." He hesitated, then stepped closer, pulling Nick into a hug.

"I'm sorry if I hurt you, Alex, I wanted…needed to say goodbye." Lame, but honest.

"I understand and I'm not hurt. Jealous, perhaps, but now that you're here, that's gone, too."

He took Nick's hand, leading them to his car. Staring at the entrance to his building, he knew everything changed the moment he walked out that door. No, his life changed the moment Trevor said, 'Let's go out and have a few drinks.' What a wild two days. Marvelous, wonderful, delirious and frightening all at once. Feeling Alex squeeze his hand, he looked over.

"You okay?"

Squeezing back, he nodded. "I am now."

Story Discussion

In my mind this is a prologue to a full length story involving the four brothers and the End of Days. Hopefully before I am too old, I'll have it written.
Copyright © 2011 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Summer - Walk on the Wild Side Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Hmmmm, interesting story. I liked how the nickname "Trev" was used so casually, as I enjoy being called that by people who know me well. The full name Trevor just sounds so formal sometimes.

 

Alex and Nick obviously come from different financial backgrounds. I could not help comparing them to another couple you and I know oh so well.

 

The "reveal" that Alex was actually an angel kind of threw me off base though. To be honest, I'm just not a big fan of fantasy stories. That's something I can work on, because I know there's some good stuff out there.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Would it be too weird to say that i am looking forward to the 'Novel' about the brothers and the end of the world with Trev and Nick being the trusty Sidekicks? ^_^

 

really like the story Q-man!

Wanna whack the waiter on the head with something heavy! :pissed:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/12/2011 02:15 PM, TrevorTime said:
Hmmmm, interesting story. I liked how the nickname "Trev" was used so casually, as I enjoy being called that by people who know me well. The full name Trevor just sounds so formal sometimes.

 

Alex and Nick obviously come from different financial backgrounds. I could not help comparing them to another couple you and I know oh so well.

 

The "reveal" that Alex was actually an angel kind of threw me off base though. To be honest, I'm just not a big fan of fantasy stories. That's something I can work on, because I know there's some good stuff out there.

 

 

 

 

There might be a bit of a comparison to another story but the differences are so vast it's not worth mentioning. :P Fantasy is an acquired taste. The issue is how much of the story is devoted to 'the fantasy' and how much is devoted to the characters. In this short story, the 'fantasy' is confined to a few lines and while it has a major role in the plot is is a minor part of the story. I think you have to take fantasy on a case by case basis. So long as the story focuses on the characters it is worth you're checking it out. When it gets bogged down in world building and wizard duels and stuff, it can detract from things. Hopefully, if I write it and you choose to read it, I won't get bogged downed too much :P Thanks Trev.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/12/2011 08:43 PM, Frostina said:
Would it be too weird to say that i am looking forward to the 'Novel' about the brothers and the end of the world with Trev and Nick being the trusty Sidekicks? ^_^

 

really like the story Q-man!

Wanna whack the waiter on the head with something heavy! :pissed:

I definitely see Trevor and Nick as side kicks. Trev still loves Nick and even if he accepts 'their' fate, he is not going to disappear from Nick's life. Fortunately, his feels for Nick won't affect Nick and Alex, their bond is too strong - or it will be in time. Thanks for reading Frosty :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I certainly hope that there will be a full length story from this.

 

I am so in love with Alex, there is something almost childlike about him and I like that quality in a man... anyone. I think their relationship will go from strength to strenght.

 

I also like the way the story started so ordinarily but then became extraordinary.

 

Loved is darling

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/12/2011 09:59 PM, Nephylim said:
I certainly hope that there will be a full length story from this.

 

I am so in love with Alex, there is something almost childlike about him and I like that quality in a man... anyone. I think their relationship will go from strength to strenght.

 

I also like the way the story started so ordinarily but then became extraordinary.

 

Loved is darling

The first version was roundly panned for exactly the opposite reason of what you describe. It started with Alex explaining everything to Nick and then explaining what darkness their meeting foretold. I hinted at the 'darkness' when Alex and Trevor acknowledged there was more that they wouldn't say but perhaps I should have made the ending stronger. IDK. I have so many different paths I could take this and I haven't decided just yet. --- Thank you my dear. I treasure your words :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I cheated, I didn't read the story since I already read it. Sorry 0:) Anyway, I already told you how much I love this story so repeating that would be a waste of time (but I just did, didn't ?). Great job! You're just showing how good a writer you are :2thumbs:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

And a magical time was had by all...or...

 

This story makes me wonder how many people just like Alex I have missed over time-if any, of course.

 

Thanks, Andy. Great story.specool.gif

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 01:34 AM, jian_sierra said:
I cheated, I didn't read the story since I already read it. Sorry 0:) Anyway, I already told you how much I love this story so repeating that would be a waste of time (but I just did, didn't ?). Great job! You're just showing how good a writer you are :2thumbs:
John, you know my respect for you - its one reason I run so many story your way first :) Thanks for the shout out. IDK about good writer, but I'm working on it just like everyone else.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 07:51 AM, phana14 said:
And a magical time was had by all...or...

 

This story makes me wonder how many people just like Alex I have missed over time-if any, of course.

 

Thanks, Andy. Great story.specool.gif

I suppose everyone had a magical time except maybe Alex but he was bidding his time I suppose :P Thanks for the comments and for reading :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hmmm, fascinating. This is the third story of yours I have read--"Second Shot", "Purpose", and now "Archangel". Each one is so different from the others, yet they all play out convincingly. Very entertaining to read. Thanks QT.:boy:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

LOL-- It's totally interesting to me to read people's responses to thing. I keep hoping to read that there are others out there like me, who are totally for Trev. But damn, I might be alone in this, huh? Well, so long as the guy is in the novel, I suppose (and he gets his own interesting side story, Mmmmm... *minds wanders.)

 

hehe. Cool Beginnings. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 09:38 AM, charlieocho said:
Hmmm, fascinating. This is the third story of yours I have read--"Second Shot", "Purpose", and now "Archangel". Each one is so different from the others, yet they all play out convincingly. Very entertaining to read. Thanks QT.:boy:
Thanks Charlie, I have made a conscious effort to try to write different things. I am not sure what niche I like best - though I've noted before that Second Shot was by far the most popular. Each story has a different plot and really could you see Peter or Jason in Purpose? :blink: -- thanks so much for reading and please let me know if things aren't working - the reader's POV is SO important - to me at least.-- Andy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 10:15 AM, AnytaSunday said:
LOL-- It's totally interesting to me to read people's responses to thing. I keep hoping to read that there are others out there like me, who are totally for Trev. But damn, I might be alone in this, huh? Well, so long as the guy is in the novel, I suppose (and he gets his own interesting side story, Mmmmm... *minds wanders.)

 

hehe. Cool Beginnings. :D

I still love and hate you for your suggestion - it is SOOOO good, but so NOOOT what I intended from the start. I am not sure what I will do not because it was THAT good. Yes, I know I am teasing the crap of anyone who is reading these responses but so what. :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment

hey Q-man

 

lemme see what can I say about this story.. I liked it. Parts of it were funny, but parts of it made me go huh? too.

 

I'm not quite sure why he had to let Trev down like he did at the end...

 

I like the fact that it's going to lead into a larger work and I understand how that works. Lord knows I've used anthologies to do that plenty in the past... good luck on the longer story.

 

anyway... keep writing... it just gets better with practice (and you only have 15 weeks until all hell breaks loose in your life).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 01:05 PM, Lugh said:
hey Q-man

 

lemme see what can I say about this story.. I liked it. Parts of it were funny, but parts of it made me go huh? too.

 

I'm not quite sure why he had to let Trev down like he did at the end...

 

I like the fact that it's going to lead into a larger work and I understand how that works. Lord knows I've used anthologies to do that plenty in the past... good luck on the longer story.

 

anyway... keep writing... it just gets better with practice (and you only have 15 weeks until all hell breaks loose in your life).

Thanks Lugh, I think - lol I don't understand your comment about Trevor, had to let him down like he did at the end? I don't think the part about Nick and Alex being soul mates could be clearer without being repetitive, and beyond Nick and Trevor not being together, which Trevor acknowledged couldn't happen because Alex was Nick's soul mate, I don't know what he did to let Trevor down. Sorry, not trying to be defensive, but I didn't get the comment.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

It took a while, but finally the story drew me in. I'd like to read more about the 'angels' who are actually aliens. Where did they come from, why did they come here? Interesting theme.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 06:54 PM, Dolores Esteban said:
It took a while, but finally the story drew me in. I'd like to read more about the 'angels' who are actually aliens. Where did they come from, why did they come here? Interesting theme.

 

I did say that I wished I could write like you. ;) Shifting from 'long' story to 'short' story isn't always easy for me - hence the epic nature of this 'short' story. The 'longer' story will answer some of the questions raised here, but it will raise far far more. How well I answer any of them will determine who well received it is :P Thank you for the review and for reading --
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well that had enough twists and turns to keep it anyone reading it. I feel for Trevor. Knowing this could be the one but being totally afraid to commit. Nick was caught in so many different ways. I am glad he got his time with Trev even if it was only for a night. At least he won't go through his long life wondering what if. Poor Alex, having to wait so long to find the one. Now that he has Nick you wonder if he has to worry about the end of the world. And What about the missing brothers? You leave enough openings in your short story to keep us all wanting to come back for more. Beautiful read.

 

Now just sort of wondering who the other Angels have as lovers? Are they all gay? Straight? Did some fall for other beings? Was one of them human. Might be why one of the arch angels is so damn touchy. And you never did fill in the gaps on their connection to God either. That would make for an interesting read. lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/14/2011 01:02 AM, comicfan said:
Well that had enough twists and turns to keep it anyone reading it. I feel for Trevor. Knowing this could be the one but being totally afraid to commit. Nick was caught in so many different ways. I am glad he got his time with Trev even if it was only for a night. At least he won't go through his long life wondering what if. Poor Alex, having to wait so long to find the one. Now that he has Nick you wonder if he has to worry about the end of the world. And What about the missing brothers? You leave enough openings in your short story to keep us all wanting to come back for more. Beautiful read.

 

Now just sort of wondering who the other Angels have as lovers? Are they all gay? Straight? Did some fall for other beings? Was one of them human. Might be why one of the arch angels is so damn touchy. And you never did fill in the gaps on their connection to God either. That would make for an interesting read. lol.

Thanks CF - yeah there are a few things left to work out. Alex has found his 'one' there was a twist I originally wanted to add to the story, but left out - according to the mythos - Uriel was a prophet of sorts - Alex/Uriel has the ability to see probable futures - that will be fleshed out - so yeah, he will worry a bit about Nick. -- the other Angels - no they are no more gay than humans, Michael Raphael and Gabriel will each have children, many children but speficially for the story Michael and Raphael's daughters and Gabriels son, will play a major roll. At least that is the thought for now. SO much can and will change. Thanks for the lengthy review - much appreciated. -- Andy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/14/2011 06:51 PM, Foster said:
I have always enjoyed fantasy and had a good time reading this one.
Thanks Sam, glad you enjoyed it.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

:) I'm glad what happened between Trevor and Nick in the end. I was heartbroken for Trev, but that kind of mends it a little bit.

 

Thanks for sharing a really good story.

 

And yeah, you should finish the story you promised in the end. :P I'll look forward to it.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/15/2011 05:57 AM, Kev de Cauchery said:
:) I'm glad what happened between Trevor and Nick in the end. I was heartbroken for Trev, but that kind of mends it a little bit.

 

Thanks for sharing a really good story.

 

And yeah, you should finish the story you promised in the end. :P I'll look forward to it.

 

My sense is - but what do I know right - that Trevor and Nick are not going to be strangers - though I suspect it might be hard on both of them to be around each other. But then again, one doesn't know Alex's views on monogamy :P -- no promises on when, but I do intend to write the longer story some day. Thanks for reading adn for the review. --Andy
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I absolutely loved this story. Because of the name, I wondered who was the archangel, but wasn't overly surprised when it was Alex. Only because of the way he talked about "inside". It did throw me for a loop when it was revealed that both Trevor and Nick were angels though and through me for even more of a loop when it was revealed that Nick is an archangel. Look forward to the full length story regarding these characters! Great Job Andy!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..