Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 1,013 Words
  • 1,208 Views
  • 36 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Therapeutic Rant - 1. Therapeutic Rant

Validation. It's been a war. Well, at least for me. I seek it, yet I only desire it in pure form. Anything less is cotton candy; sweet and unfulfilling. Constant reminders telling me I'm not strong enough to handle the real shit frustrates me. I need to shoulder the criticism and realities before I can succeed.

Fuck that. I'm breaking through. You don't dangle a substance above an addict's head and say, "C'mon, boy! It's just a few feet above you."

I'm not good enough, you say? Last time I checked, I’ve muddled through the murky swamp of mediocrity and peasantry of lower-class society. Hearing the same garbage about the weather and quality complaints from over a retail counter for fifteen fucking years? People think it's all I know: put on a fake smile, apologize for shit that's not my fault, and take a verbal beating like a God-damned dog in need of rescue.

Surprise! I can write. Whether it be by God or my own insanity, I learned to write and speak my opinions, values, and ideas. Before, I was told to keep my head down, stick my nose in the dirt, and let the world spin. My hometown better be quivering in their boots, because I'm unhinged. The doors are broken down, and my name's Johnny. Aaron is no longer the snot-nosed wallflower. I have my wants and desires.

Validation. It's always been my goal. To be accepted in this world… You'd think it should be easier than this.

Love. I picked this one up with trepidation. It was never meant for me, but I've grown to care for this want. My husband taught me the true meaning of being loved. Honestly, it's a shame it took twenty-two years to discover this. Before, it was just a word spoken as I walked out the door.

Success. Oh, she's a conniving bitch. She's a chastity cage suffocating my heart. The more I want her, the tighter she squeezes. The sad part? I have the key. I'm just afraid it's not the right time to let her out.

Peace of mind. This one's like a sumo wrestler. He's big. He wears a mawashi, and no matter how hard you want to look away, your eyes always… Well, you get it. Pushes become shoves, and to him, you're not allowed in the same circle. Just when you get along with the big guy, he puts on his robe, you go out with him for a night on the town, and then comes the restaurant bill. Expensive, isn't it? A week after the date broke the bank account's back, he rushes you. He gives you a hug. Everything's fine. His embrace feels so welcoming and warm until he squeezes. Bear-hug, and not the cute, cuddly kind. About time I picked a chiropractor.

Lastly, individuality. I've hunted for years. Two decades, it seems. I don't know what it's like to be my own person. I know how to act in every situation possible, but when someone asks me to be honest? Sorry, don't got it. Between watching television, salesmanship training, and the retail industry preaching for me to be happy twenty-four-seven, I never had time to discover myself. In high school, I copied people's laughs to find my own, only to fail. If you asked me to impersonate my current laugh now, and then again next week, I doubt it'll be the same.

I tried to express myself with studio art. My fingers couldn't translate. Again with graphic design, but I came to the same conclusion. My brain moves a million miles an hour and I don't have the reaction time to change a brush or software tool. It's truly a kick in the gonads that I found writing many years after college. I never gave it a shot, and for that, I live with regret.

Regret, you devil. You lurk in my shadows. You linger while I work. The moment I do something that negatively affects another, you brand me. Things I've said, done, and even thought about doing… I swim in your sea. I'll never be able to atone for my actions. Shelby, I'm sorry for sixth grade. Mom, I'm sorry for tenth. Dad, remember that time you taught me how to golf? I do. It's burned in my memory.

Fear. So sick and twisted. You're the reason Success is still inside me. You're nothing but a warden. I don't speak because of you. I analyze because of you. Life is a fucking game of chess because of you! I think before I do anything, 'fore if I make a wrong move, you and Regret spit-roast me over the eternal flames of Hell with an audience of demons. So for now, I'll play your game because public sex is not my kink.

Time. What a fickle bastard. You repeat the same day, yet drain the life from me bit by bit. I work the same shift every day. You make my hair fall out. I exercise five times a week. You dampen my sense of sight. I want more of you. You give me yesterday.

My goals and inhibitions coexist, and I see their strings. They're tied at the same hitch, and I'm on their Saint Andrew's cross. Tied down with burning leather, I'm helpless. It's not consensual, but I wouldn't call it rape. I live with it all because they give me room to breathe.

For those who listened to my rant, I thank you. Genuinely. That wasn't one of my retail 'thank you' lines. I didn't want to write this. It just… came out. I unsealed something within me, and I feel like a better person doing so. Maybe my wants and needs aren't as important as I believe. Maybe the desires I have yet to discover are the true keys. I treasure the ones I've found. Noah, you'll always be my light. GA, you keep me moving forward. As for myself, I'll pursue more of myself. Did I say that right? Probably not, but I know what I meant.

In closing, thank you for joining me on this self-exploration of feelings. I've tackled these emotions time and time again, and while I believe I'm in a good place I can always be in a better one.
Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 21
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



1 hour ago, Carlos Hazday said:

You know the trait I admire most in you? Your drive. Between our chats and your writing, I see someone constantly working to improve. Your willingness to learn is the first step on the road to success. Sometimes you'll have to deal with negativity from within or outside, but I think you'll overcome. The old saying about hitting a wall and learning how to go around or over it applies. You feel like a rant now and then? Go for it. I've had my share of them and usually come out better on the other side. Do not allow naysayers to stop you. Hell yeah, you can write. No matter how much crap I may give you, you can do something most people can't: put words down and have then enjoyed by others. That, buddy, is quite an accomplishment.

I was juuuuust about to conk out for bedtime. Now I'm caught somewhere between sleepy, awake and needing coffee, and bawling. Kinda rough place...

The fact I can write is more of a shot at my childhood and those I grew up with in high school. There were some in my graduating year that talked over me, hushed me, or even declared me unfit to speak when around them. It wasn't until college when a fraternity dragged me out of that hole I was put in (when the president tried to find a lady for me, then I promptly came out of the closet in a sudden burst of "I'm sick of all y'all mo-fos thinking I need a girlyfwiend."). I couldn't defend myself with words back then, so I've found a sword in the pen. 

Tangent. From my above comment quoting @kbois, I'll have to decide what my sword is made of. The hilt's a whoopee cushion. I'm thinking the blade is steel, but wrap it in aluminum foil. All cute and crinkly until it pierces...

Thanks, Papi Carlos! Noah admires my drive, too. 😜 

  • Love 5
Link to comment

There's not much I can add to the comments above and yet there is so much more to say. At the risk of being a pedantic, cranky older fart...what I can say is well done Sir!!!

 You were able to encapsulate what makes us human, in words so few and well chosen, that it is a testament to your burgeoning craft. you have captured the essence of what it is to be able to draw breath and astutely share your observations with your readers, fans, and afficinadios.

At the end of the day, we all are nothing but the sum of our parts...the good (so few it seems), the bad (way too many), and the ugly (damned mirrors of the soul)!! You've managed to capture brilliantly, the essence of what makes all of us humans tick, in a masterpiece of wordsmithing...Thank you!

Edited by drsawzall
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
57 minutes ago, kbois said:

I'm not short either. 5'6" is average for a girl. Although I have gotten to the age where I'll probably start losing a few millimeters every year. 

Do NOT put words in my mouth! I never called you short; I expanded on your comment about others being tall. But now that we know your actual height, we can call you Shorty.

  • Haha 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, drsawzall said:

You've managed to capture brilliantly, the essence of what makes all of us humans tick, in a masterpiece of wordsmithing...Thank you!

Thanks, doc. What makes humans tick... Emotions, the urge to express them, and sumo wrestler butt cheeks. We are definitely a strange group of beings. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..