Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 3,646 Words
  • 2,121 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2021 - Spring - Potluck 2021 Entry

A Chance Encounter - 1. Chapter 1 - A Chance Encounter

As I was walking into Best Buy, I couldn’t remember why I was there. As far as I could remember, I didn’t need to purchase anything and had no reason to browse the store’s inventory either, so what made me drive here and come inside the building? As I was contemplating this dilemma, I heard a voice behind me.

“Can I help you with anything?”

The voice was sweet and melodic, and when I turned around I spotted one of the store’s employees standing behind me. He had ebony hair, brown eyes, and an amazing, hypnotic smile.

“Yes, you can, but it has nothing to do with anything for sale in the store.”

At first, he looked confused by my reply, but a second later he began to chuckle.

“We might be able to arrange that as well,” he responded as he reached out his hand in my direction. “I’m Chance.”

“Is that your name or what you’re willing to take?”

“Both it seems, but can I help you with anything in the store first, since that’s what I’m getting paid to do?”

“I’m not sure. I was just contemplating why I drove here in the first place, because I can’t remember what I came here to get, and that’s when I heard your voice.”

“Then it must have been my magnetic personality that drew you here, and I’m glad it did.”

“I’m glad it did as well.”

“If we’re going to continue chatting, it would probably be best if it appeared as if I was telling you about one of the products.”

“Right. Well, I guess I could always use an external hard drive to backup my files. I would hate to lose something important.”

“Wise move, so follow me and I’ll show you where they are.”

As he led me there, I asked him a question. “Are you single?”

“Yes, and it’s by choice. All of the guys around here have turned out to be players and I want something more than that. By the way, I haven’t seen you around here before, so how long have you lived in the area?”

“Three years. I’m a junior at State.”

“Ah, that explains it. I don’t usually hang out at college bars or go to any of the functions held on campus either.”

“Neither do I. In fact, I haven’t been hanging out much of anywhere, except for my dorm room, the classrooms, and the library.”

“Maybe I can also help to put an end to that problem as well.”

“I’m certainly open to anything you can do in that regard. Oh, and my name is Grant.”

“It’s nice to meet you and I hope I can GRANT your wish.”

I giggled like a schoolgirl at his response. “And it’s nice to meet you as well, and I hope we get the CHANCE to become good friends.”

“Or maybe even more.”

“I like the sound of that too.”

I know our comments were kind of lame, but they were leading us in a direction I was willing to go. We continued chatting as he showed me where the external drives were located and explained the advantages of the various models. Since he was spending so much time with me, I decided to buy one of the devices before I left. As I was thanking him and preparing to head to the checkout, he handed me one of the store’s business cards with his personal phone number written on the back.

“Thanks for this too. Are you working late?”

“No, I get off at 6:00.”

“Then I’ll call you later to set something up.”

“Ok, that sounds good to me.”

I gave him what I thought was enough time to get home before I dialed his number, but I was too eager to wait much longer than that.

“Chance, it’s Grant and I was wondering if you might want to meet up for a bite to eat.”

“Yes, I’d love to do that. As I was driving home, I was trying to figure out what I was going to fix for dinner, so going out for something will solve my dilemma.”

“Are you up for pizza?”

“Yes, that sounds wonderful.”

“Great! We can decide what we want on it and get the salad bar to go with it, because my mom told me that I have to remember to eat my vegetables.”

“Yes, that’s what my mom told me as well and your idea sounds great.”

It wasn’t exactly a date, since we’d both driven there, but I had a wonderful time and got to know him a little better. In fact, we also made a date to see a movie the following evening, so this was progressing more quickly and much better than I’d anticipated.

We agreed to meet at the cinema complex, rather than one of us picking the other one up. He didn’t know his way around the campus, and since I didn’t go many places, I wasn’t familiar with the area where he lived either, so this just made sense. However, I was a nervous wreck from the time I got back to my room that evening until it was time to leave to meet him at the theater.

He was standing near the ticket booth when I arrived and I wondered how long he’d been there. I was about to ask, but he spoke first.

“There are a couple of movies I wouldn’t mind seeing, so what’s your preference?”

I looked at the board to see what was playing and told him the names of two movies I would like to see. After discussing it briefly, we agreed on one of them and purchased our tickets, and then Chance asked me another question.

“Would you like popcorn and a drink? It’s on me.”

“I’ll skip the popcorn, but I could use a drink.” My mouth was dry from being so nervous.

“Ok, then let’s go over to the concession stand and order.”

After we got our drinks, we entered the theater, found seats in the back where we could watch the movie and still have some privacy from the other movie goers. After we sat down and got comfortable, we took a couple of sips of our drinks before we set them in the cup holders and prepared for the movie to start.

There were several previews first, and when the movie finally started Chance reached over and took ahold of my hand. His touch was lighter than that of a butterfly and sent shivers racing along my spine, and I caught him glancing in my direction to see how I was reacting. That’s when I leaned my head against his shoulder to let him know I had no problem with this. Once I was in this position, I was able to smell the lavender body wash that he’d used earlier and the aroma was absolutely wonderful.

We continued our physical connection throughout the movie, as he held my hand and I rested my head on his shoulder, and we only broke apart when the movie ended and we got up to leave. On the way out of the theater, he asked if I wanted to come back to his place for a little while. He said it was so I could get to know where he lived and how to get there, although I was hoping it would turn out to be more than just that.

“Sure, I’d love to see where you live.”

“It’s nothing special, just a place where I can basically do whatever I want, which includes inviting over whomever I please to visit. I knew I wouldn’t be able to do that if I still lived with my parents, because I could tell they weren’t exactly comfortable with the fact that I was gay. They didn’t overreact or try to convince me that I was mistaken about my sexual identity after I came out to them, but I could tell they weren’t exactly happy about it either. They also didn’t object when I eventually told them I was planning on moving out.”

“That’s great! I’m sure it took care of some of their concerns about how they were going to react if you brought someone to the house, and it gave you some freedom as well.”

“Yes, it worked out really well and took all of us off the hook. They even helped me furnish the apartment, which seemed to confirm how relieved they were that I was going to live on my own.”

“Yes, you’re probably right about that.”

I ended up spending the night there as well and got to know Chance even better. We merely cuddled and kissed at first, and I never felt any pressure from him to do more. In fact, when we did do something else it was at my suggestion, although it was only oral sex.

Over the following few weeks, we spent a lot more time together. In fact, we spent so much time together that I had to be careful that I didn’t fall behind in my studies. Chance was very understanding about this and told me I could bring my books and study there so my grades wouldn’t suffer. He also didn’t object when I told him I had to go to the library because the materials I needed were there. It still left time for us to cuddle and make out, which usually led to having sex afterward, so everything was going great.

A couple of nights later, we were in the middle of a very serious discussion about how we were going to handle the holidays when I suddenly began hearing a strange racket. I eventually decided it was some sort of music and thought it might be from an approaching ice cream truck or someone playing their music rather loudly nearby, but I couldn’t pinpoint where the sound was coming from. It continued to grower louder and was making it difficult for me to hear Chance’s comments, which were crucial that I understand since this matter was so important.

You see, we both knew that we needed to spend some time with our families over the holidays, but we also wanted to spend as much time as possible with each other. We were attempting to talk about this situation, but the noise was making it impossible for us to hear what was being said. On second thought, it seemed that only I was having difficulty hearing what Chance was saying, because the noise didn’t seem to be bothering him at all. I was becoming extremely irritated when it finally dawned on me what the noise was. It was my alarm going off and this had all been a dream.

I was heartbroken, but I knew I had to get up and get ready for class. As I was taking my shower, I started thinking about a song my grandma used to play when I went to stay with her and my grandpa when I was younger. It was called, All I Have to do is Dream, but I didn’t have time to think about this now, because I had to get to class. However, I would continue to follow this train of thought later.

After all of my classes had ended for the day, I looked the song up online and discovered it had been sung by the Everly Brothers. I quickly queued up the YouTube entry and listened to it, because I wanted to make sure I remembered the lyrics correctly from all those years ago. I did, and this is how they went:

Dream, dream, dream, dream
Dream, dream, dream, dream

When I want you in my arms
When I want you and all your charms
Whenever I want you
All I have to do is dream
Dream, dream, dream

When I feel blue in the night
And I need you to hold me tight
Whenever I want you
All I have to do is dream

I can make you mine
Taste your lips of wine
Any time night or day
Only trouble is
Gee whiz
I’m dreamin’ my life away

I need you so that I could die
I love you so and that is why
When ever I want you
All I have to do is dream
Dream, dream, dream, dream

The last two stanzas are then repeated, followed by the same ‘dream’ series that began the song, although slightly longer this time.

 

I know the ‘dream’ series at the beginning and end of the song don’t make much sense when you’re merely reading it, but if you listen to the song as I did, it makes perfect sense. However, I believe the writers had a specific individual in mind when they were writing the lyrics and it was meant to explain what they could do whenever they weren’t together. In my case, though, it described the only way I could reconnect with my imaginary lover, because the only way I could be with him was if it happened in a dream.

I was terribly depressed as I continued thinking about this and it only got worse as the evening wore on. I had mistakenly believed that I had found the perfect guy and we might be able to start making plans about how we would spend the rest of our lives together when I realized it wasn’t to be. I had merely conjured up a ‘dream lover’.

This phrase made me remember another song that my grandma used to play when I was staying there, because it was the title of the song, Dream Lover. I hurriedly grabbed my laptop and looked it up and discovered this song was sung by a guy named Bobby Darin. The lyrics go like this, although I made some changes in [brackets] so it would fit my situation.

Every night I hope and pray
A dream lover will come my way
A girl [guy] to hold in my arms
And know the magic of her [his] charms

Cause I want (yeah-yeah, yeah)
A girl [guy] (yeah-yeah, yeah)
To call (yeah-yeah, yeah)
My own (yeah-yeah, yeah)
I want a dream lover
So I don’t have to dream alone

Dream lover, where are you
With a love, oh, so true
And the hand that I can hold
To feel you near as I grow old

It then repeats the last two stanzas, but with the following bridge in between them.

Someday, I don’t know how
I hope she’ll [he’ll] hear my plea
Some way, I don’t know how
She’ll [he’ll] bring her [his] love to me

And then after repeating those stanzas again, it ends as follows:

Please don’t make me dream alone
I beg you don’t make me dream alone
No, I don’t wanna dream alone

 

As I was looking up the lyrics, I discovered that Mariah Carey had a song with the same title, although it was written as a single word and the lyrics were completely different. However, the lyrics of the older song seemed to sum up the frustration I was feeling, because I didn’t want to dream alone. In fact, I didn’t want to have to dream at all. I’d prefer to find someone I could actually hold, kiss, and cuddle, not merely dream about at night.

Even though I tried to put this out of my mind, I continued dwelling on it as I attempted to study, but since I was so preoccupied with my dream, I wasn’t accomplishing very much. I began to wonder how I was going to end this problem when I suddenly had a thought. What if this wasn’t a dream at all, but a premonition. Could a guy named Chance really be working at the local Best Buy? I was intrigued by the possibility and decided to drive there so I could find out. What could it possibly cost me, other than a little gasoline for my car and the time I was being unproductive with my studies?

Once I pulled into the parking lot, I got out of my car and headed for the main entrance. On my way there, I spotted another guy walking in the same direction and he looked incredibly like I had pictured Chance in my dream. There were a few minor differences, but there were enough similarities that I had to find out. I headed directly toward him and spoke, but what I didn’t know was that by taking this chance it would lead to a chase.

“Excuse me, but would your name happen to be Chance?”

“No, but you’re not far off. You’ve got the first three letters correct, but my name is Chase.”

‘I certainly wouldn’t mind chasing you,’ I thought, but I didn’t say it out loud.

“Have we met before?” he continued.

“Not in person, but it feels as if I know you.”

He looked at me momentarily and then grinned. “We could definitely work on both of those issues, if you’re interested.”

Apparently his gaydar had kicked in. “Yeah, I am. You work here, don’t you?”

“No, I’m just heading in to pick up an item that I need.”

“Ah, my mistake, and I’m heading in to pick up something as well.” I actually wasn’t, but I figured it would seem strange if he thought I had just driven here so I could run into him.

“I’m here to buy an external hard drive so I can backup my computer files,” he offered.

‘Of course you are,’ I thought, but I responded differently. “Isn’t that strange? It’s exactly what I came here to get as well, since I don’t want to risk losing something important.”

“Yes, that is odd, but if you don’t mind, we can go in together and find where they’re located.”

“No, I don’t mind at all and I’m pretty sure I already know where they’re located.”

“Then I’ll follow you.”

“Or you could just walk beside me.” He grinned at my suggestion and I was momentarily lost in his awesome smile.

As we walked to where the external hard drives were located, we exchanged some information about ourselves, primarily what we did and what types of files we were backing up. This time we didn’t have to pretend that we were only talking about the products, since he didn’t work here, but we seemed to do that as well. Since he already seemed to suspect that I was gay, I openly admitted it, and he shyly concurred that he was gay as well. As we continued chatting, it was amazing how much we had in common – well except for the fact that I was in college and he was employed.

When we arrived at the area where the external hard drives were displayed, I explained the same things that Chance had told me in my dream and then we independently chose the same model to purchase.

“It seems we think alike,” Chase commented when he saw which one I had in my hand.

“Yes, we both want the best.”

“It seems we do, and you’ve been a big help. How is it that you know so much about the different models?”

“A friend explained it all to me when he discovered I was coming here to buy one.”

“Well, thank you very much. It probably would have taken me two or three times longer to decide which one I wanted if you weren’t here.”

“Oh, I’m sure one of the employees would have been happy to help you and supplied the same information.”

“Yes, I suppose that’s true, but I wouldn’t have enjoyed dealing with them as much.”

He flashed me another huge grin after saying this, so as we were walking up to check out, I asked him another question.

“If you wouldn’t think I’m being too bold, would you like to go out to get something to eat?”

“Actually, I was just thinking about asking you the same question, so yes, I would love to do that?”

“Great! How does pizza sound to you?”

“That sounds fine, as long as I can get a salad to go with it.”

“Then once again we both seem to be thinking along the same lines.”

I let him pick out the location and followed him there in my car. During the meal, I found out more about Chase and his background, and it was amazingly similar to that of Chance. I don’t know how I’d dreamed up Chance or knew about what it had been like for him as he was growing up, but most of the same things were also true about Chase. In fact, I’d say that 80 to 90% of the things I’d dreamed up for Chance were identical to Chase’s actual situation.

Before we left, I asked him to go with me to see a movie the following evening and he readily agreed. Just like in my dream, he reached over to hold my hand after the movie started, and his touch was just as soft as I’d imagined with Chance. As in my dream, I leaned my head against his shoulder and could immediately smell the same lavender body wash, so my mind was spinning as I tried to focus on the screen.

Just like in my dream, when the movie ended he asked if I wanted to go back to his place and possibly spend the night, and I happily accepted his invitation. He was a perfect gentleman, but that didn’t stop us from having oral sex, so maybe I have found my perfect lover after all.

We’ve gotten together a few times since then and everything is going great. I just hope our relationship continues to follow the same course as what had developed between Chance and me in my dream.

 

THE END.

If you've enjoyed this story, don't be afraid to click the like button to let me know.
Copyright © 2021 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2021 - Spring - Potluck 2021 Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Mawgrim said:

A strange coincidence or was this really a case of dreams coming true?

I'll leave that interpretation up to you, the reader, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Danilo Syrtis said:

Yes that's why we do love stories 😉 : dreams can become true ❤️

excellent short story 👍

Yes, Danilo, dreams sometimes do come true.  Isn't that what the fairy tales we adored as children (Cinderella, Snow White, and Pinocchio) taught us.  Don't ever give up hope that your dreams may come true.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

So many possibilities to play with: Maybe it was only a dream. O r the dream increased the likelihood they would talk to each other. Or, it was some kind of foreboding. Or....

Very nice. I enjoyed the story. It made me dream....haha.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Aditus said:

So many possibilities to play with: Maybe it was only a dream. O r the dream increased the likelihood they would talk to each other. Or, it was some kind of foreboding. Or....

Very nice. I enjoyed the story. It made me dream....haha.

 

Thanks, Aditus.  I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it got you dreaming as well.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment

You know I love your writing.  This was a great way to start my day!  And I do believe in premonitions. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, pvtguy said:

You know I love your writing.  This was a great way to start my day!  And I do believe in premonitions. 

Thanks for the support, Tony, and I'm glad you enjoyed this. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

We all have those moments where it feels like de-ja-vu, is it a dream come true, a premonition or something else? Who cares I love the idea of the fairy tale ending just the same as others do but we never admit it. It's nice short story, or is it modern day fairy tale? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

We all have those moments where it feels like de-ja-vu, is it a dream come true, a premonition or something else? Who cares I love the idea of the fairy tale ending just the same as others do but we never admit it. It's nice short story, or is it modern day fairy tale? 

Yes, we all experience moments of deja vu during our lives, but how many turn out this well? 

Hmmm... since this story came out of my imagination, I guess it could be either a short story with a happy ending or a modern day fairy tale.  I'll let the readers decide which fills the bill for them.  Thanks for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed it. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..