Jump to content
    Brayon
  • Author
  • 792 Words
  • 914 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Shorts - 2018 - 2. Wanderer

Posted in the RAW, Unedited, and not Beta-read.

He strolled into town at the edge of the ancient forest with the gait of a warrior, with the sun setting behind the trees behind him. The man had the lean-toned build of a human, but the height of an elf, marking him as one of the exceptionally rare half-elves in the world. Beside him walked his companion, a large female Strider Cat, with a coat of crimson colored fur, and four black socks for coloration on her paws. Strider Cats were large predatory animals, akin to a panther, but had sharp bone-like spurs that sprouted out on their forelegs to cut through brush and prey equally. It was an impressive sight to behold and spoke of the power of will the half-elf had to be able to tame one.

The half-elven man, walked down the center of the road, one hand on an ornately carved quarterstaff, the other would occasionally reach over, and stroke the head of the cat between the ears. He was dressed in pure white and brown linen travelers clothing that were clad in the dust from the road, and a large backpack decked out with adventuring equipment. Around his waist was strapped a thick leather belt, with several holstered throwing daggers, and two thick pouches. His black hair was long and unkempt from the travel, and his dark violet colored eyes took in the details of his surroundings.

He paused when he reached the first building along the road from the forest. He noted there was no wall around the town. “Either they are too stupid, to realize the danger of the forest. Or way too trusting,” the half-elf thought to himself. The buildings were your typical mix of homes, shops, and the local authority, and built from wood and stone with thatch roofing or slate shingles. Most were worked wood slats, but the more affluent were in the mixed wooden and stone buildings. Only the town’s Bank, Constable, and the minor lord’s Manor House were fully stonework. The smell of the home-fires cooking dinner filled the air.

“Hey, stranger,” a man on the porch of the building the half-elf stopped in front of yelled.

“Yes?” The half-elf replied and looked over at him.

“Are you lost? Need directions?”

“I can use the help,” the half-elf said and moved over the stand a few feet from the porch. His animal companion sat down on her hind-legs with its tail thumping against the ground. “Can you tell me where to get a room for the night, and a bath?”

“Yeah… there’s an Inn in town. Called the Sterling Buck. They have decent food and don’t water the ale that much. Four houses down, turn on the road headed south, and it’s the second building.”

“Much obliged,” the half-elf responded. He reached into his belt pouch at his side and produced a silver coin. He showed it to the man, and reached up and set it on the porch railing for him. Both he and his animal companion turned and headed for the Inn.

~@~@~@~

The half-elven man sat in the hot bath water and soaked his road-weary muscles. He cat laid by the tub and snoozed while he bathed. It had cost him double, but he was able, to get the room, two meals, and a bath at a reasonable three gold coins. The bathroom was in a place built outside, behind the Inn, and was adorned only with the wooden decorations from here in town. Thick tapestries adorned the wall, and stag’s head was over the tub. Brass fixtures ran the running water of the inn. He was amazed that they Innkeeper would spring for Archanics, or Magitech as it was sometimes known as, but he couldn’t blame him.

He scrubbed the dirt and his grime from his body, with the lye soap, and looked down at the sleeping cat. “Lazy. You’re only pretending to sleep, so I don’t wash you.” The only response was a soft purr.

He heard the footsteps, long before the knock on the bathroom door came. Both he and his cat were paying attention to the door. “Yes?”

“Sir… there is a man, asking to speak with you at the front counter in the lobby. He asked for you by name,” said the Innkeeper’s son, as he opened the door, and stuck his head in to deliver the message. “Should I tell him to leave?”

“No. Tell him, I’ll be there soon,” he nodded to the kid, and watched him leave. His companion sat up and looked at him with knowing eyes. “I know, he’s early, but I’m getting a good night’s rest before we head off.” The cat stretched and lay back down with a grunt.

End Part 1…

Prompt: Wherever I May Roam – Metallica

Copyright © 2018 BHopper2; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

Nicely done A.. :) 

Thank you, Agent D. I'm glad you liked it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, mogwhy said:

sounds like the start of a grand adventure, A! 

Thanks, Moggie. Yes, it's a start to a much larger project, but all based on prompts.

Link to comment

I know I'm about to date myself or you may have no idea what I'm referring to, but Strider Cat made me think of the feline buddy in the 80's He-Man Master of the Universe cartoon show. :gikkle:  I like this short too!!!  Who's at the front desk? And will the half elf get a name? So, which story are you going to continue first? This one or Dragon?  Or can you write both at the same time? I love sci-fi and fantasy stories and this has really peaked my interest. :wub:

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, LadyDe said:

I know I'm about to date myself or you may have no idea what I'm referring to, but Strider Cat made me think of the feline buddy in the 80's He-Man Master of the Universe cartoon show. :gikkle:  I like this short too!!!  Who's at the front desk? And will the half elf get a name? So, which story are you going to continue first? This one or Dragon?  Or can you write both at the same time? I love sci-fi and fantasy stories and this has really peaked my interest. :wub:

Thank you for reading and for your comment, LadyDe. Yes, I remember He-Man, Skeletor, and Battlecat. :hug:

To answer a couple of your questions. Yes, both the Half-Elf and the Strider Cat both will have names, which we will see in the next installment.

Dragon and Wanderer are tied together. :) So, they will be continuations of the same story, from different P.O.V.s.

 

Again, thank you for reading.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

Thank you for reading and for your comment, LadyDe. Yes, I remember He-Man, Skeletor, and Battlecat. :hug:

To answer a couple of your questions. Yes, both the Half-Elf and the Strider Cat both will have names, which we will see in the next installment.

Dragon and Wanderer are tied together. :) So, they will be continuations of the same story, from different P.O.V.s.

 

Again, thank you for reading.

Oh Wow!  that's excellent news.  Can't wait to see where this is going!!  Battlecat!!!!! That was his name.  My daughter loved He-Man and of course as a good mom, I watched it and all cartoons with (and without) her. LOL. So....how fast can you write?? :gikkle:

  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, LadyDe said:

Oh Wow!  that's excellent news.  Can't wait to see where this is going!!  Battlecat!!!!! That was his name.  My daughter loved He-Man and of course as a good mom, I watched it and all cartoons with (and without) her. LOL. So....how fast can you write?? :gikkle:

LOL. That is a great mom. Mine used to do it as well.

Um... Hopefully soon, I'll post the next installment, which will get all the players, already mentioned, together soon.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, LadyDe said:

I know I'm about to date myself or you may have no idea what I'm referring to, but Strider Cat made me think of the feline buddy in the 80's He-Man Master of the Universe cartoon show. :gikkle:  I like this short too!!!  Who's at the front desk? And will the half elf get a name? So, which story are you going to continue first? This one or Dragon?  Or can you write both at the same time? I love sci-fi and fantasy stories and this has really peaked my interest. :wub:

Hilarious! I thought the same. Good times!

Edited by BlindAmbition
  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, deville said:

Interesting introduction , innovative take on the Metallica lyrics . 

Thanks for reading! Yeah. I love the song, and I've been on a fantasy kick because of my Dungeons & Dragons gaming I've been doing. Today this song came on, and I could see this Half-Elf walking down a forest path, with a Panther for an Animal Companion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

Good story A. 

Thanks, jp. More practice pieces, that I'm going to try and weave into a full story over the year.

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Interesting.. and fun. I'm liking it! 

Thanks, tim. It's fun writing about characters I know a lot about from my gaming world. I'm glad you're liking the prompt stories so far.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

Nice to meet the companion/partner in crime. Sidekick won't do, I guess... ;) I want a huge cat too! 

Thanks! yes, a companion is spot on for Rune. He's a powerhouse in his own right, but you really wouldn't tell just from his humble exterior.

I want a Strider Cat too.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..