Jump to content
    C James
  • Author
  • 1,198 Words
  • 8,364 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
In Memory of Ed Wooton

For the Love - 39. Epilogue

The better part of a year had passed since that bloody afternoon at the Blackbird mine. Life had continued for us all; funded by the settlement from Thaddeus, Steve and I had moved to Maui, pursuing our degrees; his in law, mine in medicine.

Dex sat at our computer, typing away furiously as I mussed with the string tie I wore with my tux. I couldn't resist, so I asked Dex again, "Why don't you tell us about your new job with the National Security Agency?'

Pausing, glancing up from his typing, Dex replied, "I can't talk about it, and you know it. I just wish Betty hadn't said anything. Speaking of Betty, maybe I should head on over to their hotel?"

With a laugh, I replied, "Dex, you know it's bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding! I'll bet you never thought you'd grow up to marry a lesbian, now did you?"

Dex laughed, "I'm just glad she was open to changing her mind and acting on her feelings. I would have never had the guts. So, how do you guys like living in Maui?"

I nodded, glancing out at our view of the blue Pacific;"We love it. I wouldn't have been happy on Oahu, it's too crowded, plus that's where Blackheart had his connections. He's dead, but his Hell's Angels flunkies aren't."

Looking up from the keyboard, Dex's eyes opened wide, "Didn't the FBI tell you? Blackheart survived, barely. He's seriously addled due to brain damage, and they couldn't prosecute once he was ruled mentally unfit to stand trial. He moved back to California, changed his handle, and now he writes some darn good stories which he posts on the internet, though that may be a result of the brain damage."

Shaking my head in disbelief, I replied, "Damn, the FBI should have told us that. I just hope we've seen the last of him."

Dex returned his attention to the computer as I took another look at our view, and then around our roomy one-bedroom apartment, much better than college students could usually afford. The settlement from Thaddeus, even after we'd been forced to pay for the damage to the cell tower, had left us, if not rich, at least comfortable. When the happy news from home had arrived, proclaiming two sets of wedding bells in the offing, our decision had been easy; plane tickets were sent, and later Steve and I would be standing up with Dex and Chad at the little chapel on Maui's east cost south of Hanna, near Lindbergh's final resting place.

Rob and Joe, after some grumbling, had apologized for having pictures of us from the porn site, and for what they had done at the pool party. They chalked up the latter to being drunk, and I could well believe it. We'd offered them tickets, but they hadn't been able to leave their business unattended, but they had sent some rather large wedding presents nonetheless.

Veronica never did find out what happened to the puzzle we burned in Hawaii; no point in tempting fate, after all.

Our case against Piedmont County was still winding its way through the courts, but the County Supervisors' decision to leave the sheriff in office after his indictment had voided their insurance, and the sheriff's actions at the Blackbird mine while still in office made the outcome of our case only a matter of time.

We'd all been careful of what we'd said to others about the events at the Blackbird Mine. Amongst other things, we shortened the distance from which Veronica fired at her attacker, and though I think Sheriff Buchanan suspected, no one ever raised a doubt as to it being a case of self-defense. Veronica, for her part, had recovered quickly, both physically and psychologically, from her ordeal; barely a week had passed when she began threatening to shave my head and dye it purple.

The state police had flown Veronica and Steve, along with most of the others, to Lonesome Valley. I'd driven my Jeep back, with Dex for company, dropping him off at Veronica's to rush into Betty's open arms, before heading for the hospital. Steve did have a concussion, so he and Veronica, by sheer irony, ended up as roommates for the night in the room once occupied by Officer Jacobs.

Jacobs had been unaware of the happenings at the mine, until Sheriff Buchanan, leading a group of heavily-armed state police, had stormed into his own office to find Jacobs trying out his desk. With the testimony of both us and the surviving gunman, along with his inexplicable possession of the fifty grand in cash found in his freezer, Jacobs ended up sharing a cell with Thaddeus in the State Penitentiary. Of Eric, we heard nothing.

Chad came in from the balcony of our apartment, where he'd been admiring the view of the Pacific, looking decidedly uncomfortable in his Tuxedo. "I wish my best man would hurry the hell up," he grumbled, nodding towards the bathroom door where Steve was taking a shower.

That had been another easy decision; I'd be Dex's best man, and Steve would be Chad's, at the combined ceremony. We'd even made a few changes to the standard ceremony, so I'd be walking Betty down the aisle, while Steve accompanied Veronica.

Flipping idly through the TV channels in search of a weather forecast, I was bombarded by the usual Sunday morning array of televangelists. One image froze in my mind, that of a familiar bumpy nose, and I flicked the channel back to that station. I got a glimpse of a familiar face, causing me to shout for Steve. He dashed to my side, dripping, with a towel sagging low around his waist, his eyes following my pointing hand to the TV.

On screen was a televangelist, busy fleecing the flock, extolling people to send in their money and be saved. While the bump on his nose was still the same, his cheeks had a different shape, no doubt at the hand of a skilled plastic surgeon, though that familiar upturn at the corner of his mouth had survived intact. His hair dyed grey at the temples, his hairline shaved back a little, his eyes peering out from behind horn-rimed glasses, he looked much older; his new image complimenting the slow southern drawl with which Eric now spoke. I was stunned, but Steve seemed calm and unsurprised. I looked up to him, puzzled, as he said, "I guess we should have expected this, all things considered. I'm glad he came out okay after saving us all. I've even got a hunch we'll meet up with him again. I wonder if he really has changed?"

Hugging me tight, in spite of, or perhaps because of, still being wet, – the upturn at the corner of his mouth convinced me it was in part the latter – Steve added, "I knew he'd land on his feet, and so did we."

Steve leaned in for a kiss, our lips meeting as my heart told me what I'd really known all along; it really was forever.

The End... ?

©Copyright 2007 C James; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 14
Please let me know what you think; good, bad, or indifferent.  The feedback thread for this story is in my Forum. Please stop by and say "Hi!"

Many thanks to Conner for editing, support, encouragement, beta reading, and suggestions on this chapter.
Many thanks also to my editor EMoe for editing and for his support, encouragement, beta reading, and suggestions (and for thinking up a title!).

Thanks also to Shadowgod, for beta reading and advice, and for putting up with me.
Any remaining errors are mine alone.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

wow this story is epic..so much intensity and action...its like you're watching a movie..come to think of it, hadn't the author received an offer for a movie on this well developed story...

 

i just wish its just a fiction story not a real one...but the plot and the terms used in laws, fbi, medical field and IT are very real making me realized this one could pass as one true story..

 

thanks for the wonderful story Mr. James...really enjoyed it so much...

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/11/2011 01:53 AM, xerge said:
wow this story is epic..so much intensity and action...its like you're watching a movie..come to think of it, hadn't the author received an offer for a movie on this well developed story...

 

i just wish its just a fiction story not a real one...but the plot and the terms used in laws, fbi, medical field and IT are very real making me realized this one could pass as one true story..

 

thanks for the wonderful story Mr. James...really enjoyed it so much...

 

Thanks!!!

 

This was my first novel, so it was sure a learning experience.

 

I tried to keep as many details accurate as I could, including the law.

 

The one huge liberty I took was with the two county seats; they are fictional. They are each modeled on a real one, but there weren't two real ones of that size close enough together for me to make the story work in the same way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow loved this story the details were great. I hope that the "?" after the end means that at some point in the near future there will be a sequel, to the story. looking forward to reading more of your stories.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great Story, Mr. James.  I am hoping some day I will see this on the big screen or even a mini-series.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This was my second time reading this story.  I read it about 4 years ago.

I thoroughly enjoyed it - again.

 

Thanks

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Steve: “I wonder if he really has changed?”

What Chris should have said: “Of course he’s changed. He’s dyed his hair and had plastic surgery...oh do you mean his morals? Are you kidding me? He’s a fraud of a televangelist ripping people off. He’s learned from uncle Thaddeus how to fake being a religious man and is using it to fill his pockets with cash. Seems like classic Eric to me. I hope we don’t meet him again.

 

Let’s get real even with plastic surgery while we don’t know his birthdate considering Eric was 15 at the start of this story, didn’t have a birthday, and this epilogue it says it’s been a better part of a year so Eric should be only 16 right? I know they can do a lot with plastic surgery but can they really make a 16 year old look old enough to have grey hair because his new look seems implausible to pull off even with plastic surgery. I wish they hadn’t let that jerk get away and despite his previous claims Steve must have had a soft spot for his brother considering he was so happy he landed on his feet. I get Eric saved them and I get being indebted to him for that yet if it wasn’t for him they wouldn’t have been in danger. If he wanted to help he could have contacted his father, the feds, etc... In the end Eric did it so he could get away with the money and is a self centered prick.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..