Jump to content
    CarlHoliday
  • Author
  • 1,382 Words
  • 1,708 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Summer - Walk on the Wild Side Entry

Hold32 - 1. Hold 32

 

 

“We’re going to Hold 32,” Derrick said as he walked into the office. He was taller and thinner than his partner; and, at thirty-three, had already begun to find gray hairs if he looked hard enough. “A coolant valve seems to have closed or become blocked. The twenty series holds are becoming too warm.”

Jerry, who’d gone totally bald at twenty-five, looked up from a desk covered with repair chits from all over the ship. Five plumbers to take care of a ship the dimension of a good sized moon, yet at least it was a job and gave them something to do. There was always something going bad on the ship. After all it had been over a thousand centuries since the ship powered out of Earth’s orbit.

“Are they going to give us security support?” Jerry asked, knowing the answer.

“No, they’ll give us a couple stunners in case we run into anything dangerous,” Derrick said. “And, it’s just the two of us.”

“Figures, is the valve at least close to a portal?” Jerry asked, knowing the answer. The problems were never close to access ports. They’d be lucky if the portal was on the same floor as the valve, but there was another reason to be concerned.

Why it was decided to take along some of Earth’s ecosystems seemed lost in time. Hold 32 was where they put one of the big feline predators when the ship was being outfitted. It was known that the habitat barriers in all the thirty series holds broke down sometime in the last millennium, yet no one knew if the predator to prey mix had reached equilibrium. The ecosystems had pretty much been left to develop, or deteriorate, on their own. They were going to be the first humans to enter Hold 32 in a long, long time and all they were getting was a couple stunners.

“I suppose we have to leave now,” Jerry said, looking up at Derrick for just a bit of reassurance.

“And we’re going to miss Tricia and David’s recital,” Derrick said, laying one of the stunners on the desk in front of Jerry. “Aunt Louise has agreed to take them in until we return.”

“Good ol’ Aunt Louise, what would we do without her?” Jerry sighed.

“Be good parents like we usually are,” Derrick said. “Now, let’s get our kits together so we can catch the eastbound shuttle by six o’clock.”

*******

The stunner wasn’t the most powerful weapon on the ship, but it was the only one authorized to be used inside the ship. The others had been developed in case they ran into any unfriendly aliens, which no one actually expected since the odds were against it. That didn’t mean a stunner couldn’t kill. Set on high, a stunner interrupted breathing and heart beats, but the steps to get the thing to the high setting were so complicated no one had ever been killed. Stunned yes, dead no.

Being maintenance, the men received priority seating on all the transports down through the ship until they reached the engineering level above the first storage and haulage level, a journey that took them nearly a full day. They were the only passengers on the engineering shuttle that took them for the final leg, yet they had over three hundred kilometers to the portal to Hold 32. Unfortunately, there were no regular transports this far into the ship. They had elevators, ladders, stairways, and two-person jitneys to move them the final four hours to the door, which was sealed.

“It says we can’t go in this door,” Jerry said, looking up from the placard on the wall.

“The service order says we go in this way,” Derrick said. “The valve is only a couple hundred meters away. Set your stunner on eleven.”

“Why so high?” Jerry asked.

Derrick gave him the look and Jerry set his stunner to the highest available setting without releasing the safety lever. He hoped it would stop a big cat. Derrick took a door wrench from his kit bag and set it on the topmost nut. He pulled, but nothing happened.

“It’s sealed, Derrick,” Jerry said. “This is a secondary access point. There are opposing nuts on the other side and that nut was set-welded to the bolt; and, none of that matters because there is an electro seal on both sides. We have to go to the nearest primary.”

“But the service order stipulates this door,” Derrick said in his most officious voice. “The closest primary is five kilometers that way.”

“That will be at the junction-way between Holds 32 and 33,” Jerry said, making a sour face and swallowing his fear. “There was prey in Hold 33. We’ll have to go into the junction-way, first. How many shots do we get out of a stunner before the power pack fades?”

“Five.”

“Only five?”

“That’s what the specs say,” Derrick said. “I’ve never had to use one, but I’ve heard they handle five shots before you have to let it recharge. Come on, this isn’t going to be anything. We’ll just go in, walk back this way to the valve, do what we have to do, and leave. We’ll be back here in a few hours.”

“That’s what you say,” Jerry said as he turned and hurried to catch up to his husband.

*******

The tiger was selected to be the primary jungle predator mostly because the genetic pool for lions was deemed insufficient to sustain a pride through the length of time the ship had to journey to its unknown destination, that is, the first suitable planet to sustain human existence. Plus, tigers were solitary predators that could adapt to the relatively confined conditions of the holds. Appropriately the puma was selected for the pine and prairie habitats.

Derrick and Jerry would be entering a jungle habitat. They didn’t know that much about tigers, just what they’d learned back in zoology class in school as it was a required course because of all the animals on board. They did know they were going to have to be extra careful considering they were going to be a lot further away from the valve than they originally thought.

“Well, that looks like a primary access portal, if I’ve ever seen one,” Derrick said when they reach the wall of the junction-way. “What’s the placard say? It’d better say we can get in here or we’re going to have to go down to the inter-hold space and do a reroute on the plumbing. I’d much rather repair a valve than do a reroute. Well, what’s the news?”

“There are tigers in here and monkeys and deer,” Jerry said. “There are tigers, Derrick. We’ll have to ration our stunner shots so we don’t run out. Tigers are man-eaters.”

“Don’t get jelly-legged on me now,” Derrick said, derisively. He was nervous, too, but didn’t want Jerry to know. “Come on; let’s get started on the bolts. I’ll start at the top and you do the bottom ones.”

“Okay, but you’re going to have to go in first,” Jerry said, kneeling down to the floor. He worked at the same rate as his partner until they had the door ready to be unsealed. It was a small portal so only one of them would be able to go in at a time. Meaning one would be inside by himself until the other could get in. They’d have to shut the door to ensure none of the animals escaped.

“Well, are you going to unseal the door?” Derrick asked. “Or, do I have to do it.”

“I’ll do it,” Jerry said as he pulled the unsealer out of his kit. He pushed the narrow edge into the slot and pulled back. The familiar hiss of air passing through the gap made Jerry feel uneasy. The escaping air was very warm, a lot warmer than the ship’s normal ambient temperature.

“Pull the door open,” Derrick said.

Jerry did as he was told.

There were two macaques sitting next to a tiger, which reached over and pulled the door closed.

“Um, I think we’re not wanted,” Jerry said.

“Well, that was obvious,” Derrick said. “Oh, well, we haven’t done a reroute in months.”

End



Story Discussion

Thanks to Sharon for a wonderful job of editing.
Copyright © 2011 CarlHoliday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Summer - Walk on the Wild Side Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I really liked that although I didn't quite understand the end. Did the tiger close the door and, if so was he mutated?

 

I figure they are right, though. I would presume I'm not wanted too if faced by a tiger :)

 

Lovely story

Link to comment

:great:

 

Definitely different. Someone else wrote this about something else but I'm gonna steal it and use it here; I like how you didn't waste buckets of time on 'world building' In less than two thousand words you told the story AND gave me a feel for the 'brave new world' your characters live in. That is amazingly well done. :worship:

 

I gave you my last "+" of the day - I was saving it for something special and this was it. B)

 

Andy

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I want to know about the animals now! How did they know they were there? Did they hear them opening the door? Are they sentinels? Did the tigers evolve to become sentient? How sentient? Ahhh!!! Too many questions. I like the sort of... okay, looks like we aren't doing that! sarcasm but I wish there were more to this story. Even with the concrete ending it just feels like we don't get to see enough. I think a visual on the tiger at the very least would have helped with that, if it wasn't like what they learned about or had a definite genetic mutation based on being abandoned for millenia.

Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 05:29 AM, Cia said:
I want to know about the animals now! How did they know they were there? Did they hear them opening the door? Are they sentinels? Did the tigers evolve to become sentient? How sentient? Ahhh!!! Too many questions. I like the sort of... okay, looks like we aren't doing that! sarcasm but I wish there were more to this story. Even with the concrete ending it just feels like we don't get to see enough. I think a visual on the tiger at the very least would have helped with that, if it wasn't like what they learned about or had a definite genetic mutation based on being abandoned for millenia.
How did the animals know? Well, there were quite a lot of screws holding that door in place. I suppose taking them all out would've been noticed by the residents.

 

Did the tigers become sentient? I don't think so. I believe their evolution did make them friends with the monkeys.

 

Need more to the story? Unfortunately a lot of my short stories leave a lot of interpretation to the reader to fill in whatever blanks they perceive as they see fit. I guess that makes me in some sense a minimalist.

Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 04:58 AM, Lugh said:
Well, that was different.

 

I wonder what they are eating... the deer?

Well, it certainly wasn't the monkeys.
Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 02:56 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
:great:

 

Definitely different. Someone else wrote this about something else but I'm gonna steal it and use it here; I like how you didn't waste buckets of time on 'world building' In less than two thousand words you told the story AND gave me a feel for the 'brave new world' your characters live in. That is amazingly well done. :worship:

 

I gave you my last "+" of the day - I was saving it for something special and this was it. B)

 

Andy

Thanks, I need all the +'s I can get.
Link to comment
On 06/12/2011 10:50 PM, Nephylim said:
I really liked that although I didn't quite understand the end. Did the tiger close the door and, if so was he mutated?

 

I figure they are right, though. I would presume I'm not wanted too if faced by a tiger :)

 

Lovely story

I see the inside of the door having a bar of some sort for some unstated purpose (the locking mechanism, maybe). The tiger reaches out and using its claws pulls the door closed. Or, maybe one of the monkeys did it. I'll leave it to you to decide how you want the residents to respond to their door being opened.
Link to comment

I liked your two plumbers and their "all in a day's work" attitude. Seems they share that with the occupants of Hold 32.

Link to comment
On 06/13/2011 03:35 PM, Foster said:
I liked your two plumbers and their "all in a day's work" attitude. Seems they share that with the occupants of Hold 32.
Thanks for the review.
Link to comment

Well that different. I liked how your two plumbers spend all the at time getting there only to have the monkeys and tiger more or less tell them go away. What I find even funnier is the fact they simply turn around and attempt to find another way to solve the problem. Absolutely fascinating. I like how quickly you developed the world and let us enjoy it. Great story.

Link to comment

I agree with the rest, that was different. But different in a good way :D I like the ending, it leaves so much room for my imagination to go wild. I'll definitely be thinking of this story for days to come. Thank you :)

Link to comment
On 06/15/2011 01:44 PM, comicfan said:
Well that different. I liked how your two plumbers spend all the at time getting there only to have the monkeys and tiger more or less tell them go away. What I find even funnier is the fact they simply turn around and attempt to find another way to solve the problem. Absolutely fascinating. I like how quickly you developed the world and let us enjoy it. Great story.
Thank you for the review.
Link to comment
On 06/17/2011 12:32 AM, Kev de Cauchery said:
That was different, in a humorous way. I like that. I like the ending a lot. :2thumbs:
Thank you for your review.
Link to comment
On 06/16/2011 02:28 AM, jian_sierra said:
I agree with the rest, that was different. But different in a good way :D I like the ending, it leaves so much room for my imagination to go wild. I'll definitely be thinking of this story for days to come. Thank you :)
thank you for your review and, yes, I purposely left the ending so that my readers could figure out an ending that suited their personal needs.
Link to comment
On 06/15/2011 02:59 PM, Renee Stevens said:
I think my favorite part of this was the interaction between Derrick & Jerry. Thanks :)
Thank you for your review.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..