Jump to content
    CassieQ
  • Author
  • 6,654 Words
  • 3,211 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Seasons Of Love - 1. Chapter 1

Seasons of love

Blake gazed up at the dark ceiling, listening to the lullaby of a spring night at his grandparent’s farm. He could hear the howl of coyotes and incessant buzz of cicadas. It was always most noticeable the first night in the country. It took some time for his mind to transition from the regular noisy, nighttime background of traffic and the creak of footsteps from his upstairs neighbors.

Blake didn’t mind the unfamiliar sounds. He was warm in his bed, with his stomach full of pork chops, potatoes and Grandma Em’s warm blackberry pie. While most of his classmates spent their spring breaks skiing in Colorado or sunbathing in Mexico, he would be sweating it out on the farm, like he had every year since he was ten. And while Blake would always moan and complain to his parents in order to keep up appearances, he honestly liked the time he spent up on the farm; one week in the spring and up to three in the summer. He would return to school with a tan to rival those who spent their break on the beach and a few extra pounds packed on his slender frame.

Blake enjoyed the work, which usually involved helping Ben, Grandpa Joe’s farmhand, with various chores and tending the animals. He'd feed and water the chickens, goats and rabbits, collect eggs and clean out stalls and cages. Blake would also help his grandpa with repairs or any task that benefited from an extra set of hands. He'd fall into bed every night well fed, exhausted and strangely content. It was a nice break from the monotony of sitting behind a school desk, being force-fed information. His ADHD mind always worked better on the farm too, with the physical activity burning off all the extra energy so his mind felt clear and focused and sharp.

This week also promised to be especially interesting due to Luke, Ben’s son, who was helping out on the farm now as well. He was close to Blake’s age, with his father’s dark hair and easy smile. He was open and uncommonly friendly, introducing himself when Grandpa Joe had brought Blake home from the train station. He kept up a steady stream of words as they worked through the afternoon chores together until Ben picked him up to take him home.

Luke had left with a cheerful wave and a promise to take Blake swimming once they had some free time, something that was sparse at the farm. Blake didn’t dislike Luke, and the boy’s endless stream of words meant that Blake didn’t have to talk much, which suited him fine. Still he felt relieved that first night once Luke had left. He loved his grandparents and didn’t want competition for their attention during the short time he got to stay with them.

Blake discovered the next day that Luke turned out to be more a help than a hindrance. He showed up right after lunchtime, went through his own chores and helped Blake with some of his. Blake was finishing up one of his most hated chores, cleaning out the chicken's nesting boxes, when Luke appeared after hauling manure out of the stables. Blake filled the last bucket with chicken droppings and glanced over at Luke before picking it up. Luke followed Blake as he hauled the bucket away to be dumped. “Let’s go for a swim,” he suggested as Blake emptied the bucket over the fence.

“Now?” Blake asked, rubbing his forearm across his sweaty forehead.

“Yeah, why not?”

Blake turned back toward the cages. “It’s the middle of the afternoon. Chores still have to­­­­­­­­­­­­­--"

“Oh please, with you here to help the chores are nearly done. Take a dip with me and then we can go help Joe in the greenhouse.”

Blake still thought it was weird to hear "Joe" without adding the Grandpa in front. “I have to water and feed--"

“I’ve already watered the animals; they can wait for their feed." Luke winked. "Besides, you shouldn’t feed them until you get cleaned off anyway.”

Luke was right. Blake was sweaty and felt scummy, with the fine powder of chicken manure all over his shirt, skin, and hair. He had worn a handkerchief over his mouth and nose to try to avoid breathing it in, but could still feel the grit of it on the inside of his nose. So, after Luke helped him put down fresh hay for bedding, and let the chickens back in, Blake followed him down to the river.

It was a wide, slow moving ribbon of deep cold water, good for swimming. Luke stripped down and ran down the bank, jumping in with a shout. Blake grinned and followed suit, joining Luke in the water. The moment he hit the water it took his breath away. Nebraska had a mild winter and a warmer than normal spring, and working hard on the farm, building up a sweat, made it easy for him to forget that it was still early April and not the balmy months of May, June or July. He resurfaced, gasping and spitting out water.

“Holy shit.” He glared at Luke through chattering teeth. “Are you crazy? It’s freezing!”

“Only at first,” Luke said, backstroking lazily. “You’ll get used to it. Just make sure you don’t swim too long. More than an hour at a time and then you’ll get into trouble.”

“It’s too cold.” Blake decided, glancing towards the shore. Goose bumps covered his skin and he couldn't stop the shivers rippling through his body. “I’m getting out.”

Luke shrugged and slid back underneath the water with an eel-like grace. Blake was halfway back to the shore when he felt a hand around his ankle and jerked in a shallow breath before he was yanked under. It was too dark underneath the murky surface to see more than Luke’s vague outline, but Blake kicked at him, shaking his ankle free and resurfaced with a gasp.

“You’re crazy!” he declared again and glared at Luke, who allowed only the top of his head and eyes to surface.

Luke broke the surface and smirked at him, before spitting a stream of water at his face. Blake splashed him back and was soon engulfed in a watery brawl, so much so that he forgot about the cold.

After a few more minutes they left, scrambling back into their pants; Blake leaving his cruddy shirt off, tucking it into the back of his waistband. They returned to the farm and spent the remainder of the afternoon helping Grandpa Joe in the greenhouse.

Their short swims at the river became a daily ritual once their essential chores were squared away, which Blake found himself looking forward to, despite the cold. By the end of the week, the heavy toil was catching up with Blake. On Thursday, he relinquished his usual swim and lay down on the bank for a quick afternoon nap while Luke swam in the river. He pulled off his shirt, turning it inside out and used it for a pillow. It was very relaxing to lay on his stomach, with the sun a gentle kiss over his skin. That warmth along with the sounds of Luke splashing in the water and the drowsy hum of insects lulled Blake into the dreamy limbo between being awake and asleep.

His sleepy relaxed mind barely registered the change, the sudden absence of sound. Luke had stopped swimming. He could hear the pad of soft feet on the grass and wondered if Luke was going to nap as well.

Then a sensation, a touch, a damp hand on his sun warmed back. Blake remained still, wondering if it was real or if he was dreaming. The touch remained, a presence that traveled up his back and rested on his neck, and another touch, something light, on the back of his shoulder accompanied by a hot breath of air. Blake reached up, gripping the hand on the back of his neck and holding it tight as he turned and looked into Luke’s dark eyes.

The other boy was kneeling over him, still wet, staring at him. They held each other’s gaze, both wide eyed. Luke broke eye contact first.

“Sorry,” he mumbled.

“For what?” Blake asked. He let go of Luke’s hand and rolled over onto his back.

Luke gestured at him. “For that.”

“I didn’t mind.” In truth, Blake wasn’t sure what he felt, but he was too relaxed and warm to freak out. He already knew he liked Luke and wanted to keep his friendship.

Luke stared. “Can I? Again?”

“Don’t tell. Anyone.”

Luke shook his head. “I won’t.” Then he was leaned forward and paused right before his lips would have met Blake’s. He was close enough for Blake to feel the feathery touch of the other boy's breath on his face. Blake lifted his head to close the distance. Luke’s mouth tasted clean and sweet, like river water and fresh air. It was refreshing and Blake reached up and slid his fingertips over Luke's wet hair. He felt Luke’s hand come up and grip his biceps. It lasted a moment, trembling on the edge of forever, before Luke pulled away. He regarded Blake for a moment, long enough for Blake to start to worry.

“What?” Blake snapped out defensively.

Luke lay down next to him, on his back and turned his head to look at Blake. “Have you ever?”

“With a guy?" Blake bit his lip, nerves a tight ball in his stomach. "No.”

“Me neither,” Luke said. “What do you think?”

Blake shrugged. “Whatever. It’s okay.”

“Do you think that you might be ... you know...?”

Blake shook his head. “I never thought about it before.”

Luke stared back up at the sky. “Me neither.”

They didn’t talk about it anymore, just returned to the greenhouse like they usually did.

On Friday, they shared a few light shy kisses before getting out of the river. Luke and his father joined them that evening, when they all dressed up and went out to a restaurant in town as a going away gift for Blake, like they did every year. Luke and Ben stayed the night at the farm, for the next day was market day.

Luke was up and working with Blake outside before the sun rose to finish morning chores while the adults loaded up the truck for the market. Luke and Blake rode in the bed of the truck amongst the produce to keep everything in place. It was Blake’s favorite day, because once he helped unload the cart, his Grandpa let him roam the marketplace, checking out the different stalls where he would buy some small gifts for his parents and friends.

He and Luke bought a matching pair of bracelets, made of knotted hemp rope, exchanging them like friendship bracelets.

“So you’ll remember me,” Luke said, smiling.

“I’ll be back in the summer.”

“Thank God. You make my chores a lot easier,” Luke joked. “By then I’ll be out of school and can work more.”

“Me too.” Blake smiled. “And the river will finally be warm enough to swim in without freezing our balls off.”

“City boy,” Luke teased with a smirk. “Spoiled by your hot water and furnaces.” He was silent for a few minutes, scuffing the ground with his foot. “I’ll miss you,” he said softly.

“I’ll miss you too,” Blake said, giving the other boy a light nudge with his shoulder. “And I miss the farm. But I’ll be back in the summer for at least a month. And it’ll be fine.”

Luke smiled back at him. They returned home late that night, after the market had closed, with the truck not nearly as full as it had been that morning. Em had dinner waiting for them and afterwards the boys sprawled out on the yard, sleepy and staring at the stars while Ben and Joe debated over items to order from a catalogue. They were too tired to talk, but when Ben came to collect Luke, the dark haired boy let out a heavy sigh as he got to his feet. Blake followed suit.

“So you’ll be gone tomorrow,” Luke said.

Blake nodded. “Yeah, I’m leaving early in the morning.”

Luke sighed and moved forward, hugging Blake and pressing a fist into his back. “Can’t kiss you good-bye right now, but I would if my dad wasn’t right here,” he whispered.

Blake chuckled and hugged him in return. “Ditto.”

Luke released him and turned, walking away with his dad. Blake watched the red taillights of their truck fade away before going inside.

Em gave him a hug, and a papery kiss to his cheek. “Better get to bed, you’ll have to be up early in the morning,” she reminded him.

“Yeah,” Blake said.

“What did you think of Ben?” she asked, moving to the sink, where she loaded the last of the dishes into the washer.

Blake shrugged. “He’s okay.”

“It seems like you got along well with his son.”

“Yeah, Luke is cool.”

Grandma Em smiled. “I’m glad you were able to make a new friend. I know coming up here has to be awful boring without any one your age to spend time with.”

Blake laughed. “You and Grandpa Joe usually keep me too busy to worry about getting bored.”

She chuckled. “Well, we enjoy having you here and appreciate your helping out. Now off to bed. Long day tomorrow.”

Blake climbed into bed, thinking about Luke as he stared into the dark and let nature's nighttime lullaby sway him to sleep.

* * *

The modest curves of the Appalachian Mountains were nearly white washed out of existence by the early morning fog that rolled in during the night. Blake knew later on the summer heat would burn it away but by then he would already be deep into the Midwest with its rolling plains. Blake smiled as the train began to move, pulling out of the station, a tingle of anticipation sitting pleasantly in his stomach. He was heading out again, to Grandpa Joe’s farm.

And Luke.

Luke was at the station to pick him up in his truck, smiling with that slip of bright white teeth in stark contrast again his dark tanned face. There was a vague shadow of stubble on his jaw and his slender frame was now covered in corded muscle, giving him a lean, graceful appearance.

Blake felt the ever-present tingle of anxiety that he always felt initially, fear that the easy friendliness that Luke showed would stay firmly locked in place, revealing nothing more. But then Luke would tease him about keeping his distance, and request that Blake move closer. Once Blake had done so, moving over the cracked leather seats, Luke would grip his thigh or massage the back of his neck with his free hand while he drove. This time, Luke simply held Blake’s hand, chatting and catching up as he drove them back to the farm.

Work was grueling and hard as ever in the hot summer months. Blake knew he would have probably been better off coming earlier, as soon as the spring semester was over, but he wanted to squeeze in an extra credit for May in at the University before heading west. Besides, now he would be there for the July fourth celebrations.

The river was their solace, and they never broke their tradition of a late afternoon escape that they had started seven years before. In the summer it was the ultimate in cool blue refreshment. And exploration. Ever since that first springtime fling, the gentle hand on his back sparking that first kiss, Blake and Luke had carefully explored their growing attraction throughout the years. Their first afternoon at the river was highly anticipated by Blake as he sweated through his chores.

Years prior, they had touched and explored each other’s bodies, then as they grew and became bolder, their explorations became more intimate. Now, fully-grown and horny, they played in the cool water. Luke laughed as he leapt on Blake’s back, hooking a strong arm around his neck and pulling him under the surface. They tussled for a few moments, squirming in each other’s slippery grip before resurfacing and gasping in mouthfuls of air. Blake grinned and splashed Luke, playfully.

“Hey,” Luke said in a low voice, gliding closer. “I have something to show you.”

That tone of voice usually preceded a sexual suggestion and Blake grinned in return, feeling the first pulse of warmth in his groin. Luke swam across the river, resurfacing several meters out, gesturing for Blake to follow. Blake swam after him, hesitating slightly when Luke climbed out on the opposite bank.

“Come on,” Luke called. “No one is here.”

Blake followed suit, shaking back his wet hair and taking another moment to admire Luke’s sleek, tan body. There was an occasional mark or scar, shining white against the rest of his skin. Blake knew them well, having pressed gentle kisses to them during earlier explorations. Blake felt extraordinarily pale next to him. He wasn’t completely colorless, but he hadn’t spent as much time in the sun as his counterpart, spending the better part of the last few months pouring over his textbooks.

He was so busy, watching the lines of water and sweat rolling down Luke’s back that he didn’t pay any attention to where they were, until Luke stepped around a large grouping of trees and into a small, golden clearing. Blake looked around. It was beautiful, with long golden shafts of grass waving gently in the light breeze, surrounded by trees hemming close in on several sides, with others visible further off in the distance. It offered semi-privacy and shade.

“Wow,” Blake said, pushing back his damp hair as he surveyed the area. “How did you find this?”

Luke shrugged. “Exploring.”

He walked over to a shaded spot underneath a tree and collapsed on the ground. Upon drawing closer, Blake saw that Luke had a blanket, a cooler and a small bag already there. Blake opened up the cooler and found a couple beers wreathed with half melted ice. Blake got one out, opened it and passed it to Luke, then got the other for himself.

“Do you think it is still on Grandpa’s property?” Blake asked.

Luke shook his head. “Nah, not if it is across the river. I don’t know whose land it is, but I’ve been out here hundreds of times, and never came across another soul.”

“It’s nice,” Blake decided, taking another sip of beer. The sun had already dried his skin and it was cool enough in the dappled shade to be comfortable.

Luke turned onto his back and glanced up at Blake. “Check out the bag.”

Blake picked up the innocuous paper sack next to the cooler and peeked inside. There was a small bottle of lube and a few foil wrapped condoms. He glanced up at Luke. “You wanna try it?”

They had gone through every form of sexual exploration they could think of, from hand jobs to oral to frotting, but never had they gone this far. Blake pulled out one of the condoms, turning it over in his fingers.

“Why not?” Luke asked. “Do you?”

Blake considered it. He wasn’t a virgin; he had taken care of that after his senior prom. It would, however, be the first time with another man. And this time, this place ... it all seemed right. Full summer, full heat, and both of them were young, restless, and wanting each other more than he could ever remember wanting another person before.

So they made love for the first time. The sun, the shade and the quiet sounds of nature made it feel like they were in a different world that only held the two of them. Sweat slipped down their backs as they lay together, moved together. Blake pressed Luke down, blanketing him with his own body, breathing in his scent, the sex and the sweat and the river water. Blake moved over his lover, skin against skin, his chest and belly against Luke’s strong back, gripping his hands. The song of summer time insects buzzed in his ears, overrode by Luke’s gasps and moans as Blake slid into him. Blake could feel the way Luke's fingers gripped his and the way his body flexed underneath him, fueling his desire. Blood rushed in his ears and swelled in his cock as he felt the pull and shift of Luke's body, and buried himself deeper into the tight welcoming heat of him. The orgasm swept up his body, hot as the summer sun and he sank deep into Luke’s body, his hips pistoning uncontrollably, and his toes curling and cramping. He grimaced and buried his face in Luke’s neck, tasting the salt of his sweat and kissing the skin as the orgasm drained away. He pulled himself off of Luke and collapsed next to him.

“All right?” he asked. Luke rolled over on his back.

“Excellent,” Luke murmured with a tired smile.

They had little time to enjoy the afterglow, needing to return to the farm soon afterwards, but the small clearing became their new place. A secret meeting, where their bodies would come together, exploration and discovery blooming in the summer heat.

The highlight for Blake was the fourth of July. He and Luke rode down to the county fair, which was the typical small town affair. There were contests for animals and crops, displays of farming equipment, along with booths of artery clogging treats and rides for the kids and teens. He and Luke wandered around and checked in with Blake’s grandparents. Grandpa Joe was talking to some other local farmers he knew and Grandma Em went to see how her giant squash faired in the judging.

Blake and Luke rode a couple of nauseating rides and snacked on caramel apples, the sticky sweet concoction gumming up their lips and teeth. Luke saw some friends from high school and stopped to chat for a little bit, introducing Blake to the little circle. They watched the fireworks going off once it got dark, and rode back to the farm.

It was too dark to travel to their clearing in the woods, but they did hike out to the river, watching the fireflies' flashes of gold reflect off the still water and talking in low voices about their lives, and their future. Luke had been involved in farming for as long as he could remember, and had no plans to give it up. Blake had no idea what he wanted to do.

“I like to help people, you know?” Blake said, drawing random designs in the dirt with his stick. “Maybe medicine or a veterinarian. I like working with the animals on the farm.”

“Maybe you could come here after graduation,” Luke suggested, a hint of teasing in his voice. “Work with us on the farm.”

Blake laughed and rolled his eyes. “Yeah, me a farmer. I don’t think so.”

Luke just shrugged, Blake unable to see his embarrassed smile in the dark. “It was just a thought,” Luke said, scuffing his toe in the dirt.

Blake broke the stick he was using to draw in the dirt and tossed it aside. “I have another thought,” he said softly, turning to Luke.

“Oh yeah?” Luke responded with a grin as Blake moved in closer.

“Yeah.”

Luke let himself be pushed on his back and smiled as Blake settled over him, pressing his lips onto his. He could settle for this. For now.

* * *

Luke sighed and rolled off of Blake’s body with a groan of satisfaction. He sprawled across the bed, legs splayed and his cock lying soft against his stomach as he caught his breath. Blake remained on his stomach, relaxed and content, basking in the warmth of his recent orgasm.

Luke glanced over and rolled onto his side, giving Blake’s ass an affectionate swat. “Okay?”

“Well and thoroughly fucked,” Blake responded with a grin. He pushed himself up onto his elbows and watched Luke sit up on the edge of his bed, cricking his neck from side to side.

“Your neck again?” Blake asked, watching as Luke pulled his jeans up, covering the legs and butt that he was admiring.

“Yeah,” Luke admitted, rubbing his hand over his right upper trap and grimacing slightly. He had suffered from neck and shoulder pain on his right side ever since he had been rear ended the previous year and it constantly flared up, especially with the heavy lifting and pulling that Luke dealt with on the farm.

“Let me see,” Blake demanded, patting the bed. The bed they were currently using had been his grandparent’s old bed, and Blake always used it when he came to visit, although Luke bedded down in Blake’s old childhood room. Blake’s grandparents had both lived to an impressive age; Joe had succumbed to a heart attack at 79, and Em had followed after a bout of pneumonia at 81. Blake had inherited the farm and had “sold” it to Luke, who took care of the land and animals, just as Joe had, hiring out local kids from the 4-H to help out.

Luke sat on the edge of the bed and Blake rose up onto his knees. Blake liked the salt and pepper coloring of Luke’s dark hair, with hints of silver beginning to show at the nape and at the temples, but it was still thick and lush, with no signs of a receding hairline or baldness that most men in their 40s started to show. Luke’s body was still toned and trim from the long days in the field and the barn, the physical labor keeping him strong and fit. Blake started massaging the steel lines of Luke’s neck and the hard marble of his shoulders, pausing occasionally in his ministrations to drop an open mouthed kiss against the rough tanned skin.

“You need a vacation,” Blake decided.

“Farming is a 365,” Luke reminded him.

“What your neck needs is a week on a beach in Maui,” Blake said. “Black sand beaches and luaus with leis and hula dancers.”

“I can’t take off,” Luke said. “You know that.” His voice was warning Blake to lay off, but Blake plunged ahead recklessly.

“In the winter time, then, after-“

“And who is going to watch over the animals, huh?” Luke asked. “The pigs, the horses? Not to mention that I have the foalings in February--"

“Have your nephew come over; he helps your brother with his farm. Have him help like you did with Joe. And then have those 4-H kids help out too. That would be enough to cover it so you could take a break.”

“And would you be taking the break with me?” Luke asked.

“You know I can’t. I used up all my PTO to visit my parents up North and to come here for a few weeks.”

“I could take the vacation if I had someone here to help me out, give me a hand. I need full time help, but the kids have school, and my nephew is busy helping my brother out.” Luke shook his head. “You should stay here. Another set of hands full time would be more than enough.”

Blake sighed. He should have know it was coming up, the same argument. “You know I can’t.”

Luke made a sound of disgust and stood, pulling away from Blake’s hands. “I know you don’t want to.”

Blake stood up, and pulled his own pants on. He already felt self-conscious enough, making love to Luke’s hard body, while his own already displayed the signs of his encroaching middle age, the slight paunch of his belly, the love handles that drooped low over his hips. He felt better once he was clothed, and approached Luke, who stood at the window, arms crossed, staring out at the fields and outbuildings “Baby, don’t do this. I have a job; I can’t just up and leave.”

“You hate your job, you tell me all the time.”

“Do we have to have the same old fight every time I come down here?” Blake snapped. “Do you even know what you are asking me to do? Give up my job, my friends, my life, to come here? To give up my home?”

This is your home!” Luke said, turning to face him. “You always told me coming to the farm was like coming home. You always told me how much you loved the work, how it was so much better than sitting behind a desk--“

“That was when I was in school. It’s different now--“

“Blake, this is your grandparent’s farm. It should be you here taking care of it, not me!”

Blake felt stunned. “You never acted like you minded taking care of Grandpa Joe’s farm. You said you would love to.”

“Because I assumed you would be here taking care of it with me!”

Blake threw up his hands. “So what, do you want to get rid of the farm? Sell it?”

“Damn it, it’s not about the farm!” Luke shouted. He turned and slammed his hand against the wall angrily. “It’s about you!’ Luke sighed and dropped his head. Blake could see the anger draining away from Luke, despair taking place. He sat down on the windowsill, leaning back against the windowpane.

“What is it?” Blake asked, moving forward to straddle his legs and dropping his hands to his waist. “Tell me what’s wrong so I can fix it.”

Luke dropped his head forward onto Blake’s stomach. “I miss you baby.” His words were harsh and halted, like he was having trouble getting them out. “You belong here with me.”

“I visit whenever I can.”

“It’s not enough for me.” Luke looked up and his eyes were suspiciously moist. “I hate being in this big empty house alone. I love it whenever you come to see me, but when you leave, it’s hell. I feel like you take a piece of me when you go. I love the farm, but it’s not the same without you. I can’t take visits a couple times a year anymore. I want you. Here, with me. I want wake up next to you, every day. I want to take that trip to Maui with you. I want a life with you, but mine is already halfway over.”

Blake was nearly speechless. “I never knew you felt this way.”

Luke shrugged. “I thought that if I told you, you would get so freaked out that you would stop coming. I don’t think you miss me as much as I miss you.”

“That’s not true.”

“If you did miss me, as much as I miss you, then you would never leave,” Luke said. “It’s that simple.” He got to his feet and marched past Blake, out of the room. A few moments later, Blake heard the front door slam shut and saw Luke stalking across the yard to disappear into the barn.

Blake frowned, pulled on his sweater and went downstairs. He went into the kitchen and gathered ingredients for hot apple cider. While it was brewing, he looked out the window. He had never realized how beautiful it was in the fall. The trees were ablaze with fire, and the golden wheat fields were ripe for harvest, rippling in the breeze. Everything was fat and heavy, ready to be squirreled away for a long winter. Blake sighed.

Luke had a point. Why did he keep his distance? He had a job, and while he had enjoyed his job initially, the sheen had disappeared from it. His family lived closer to the farm than they did at his current home and he didn’t have any close friends that would miss him too terribly much. He had no wife or even a boyfriend; his love life had been reduced to a few flings, none of them serious. Maybe that was because his heart was here.

With Luke.

No, nothing kept him away except his own fear and cowardice. Blake knew that if he moved in with Luke, then that would be admitting the truth about himself. He never denied he was gay, but he never admitted it either. No one knew that his visits with Luke were anything more than just catching up with an old friend and checking up on his grandparent’s property. All of his trysts with other men had been short, private and with the firm understanding that he was looking for sex, not love. Yet, love was here waiting for him with open arms, and all he had to do was walk into it. Stop being afraid.

He turned and picked up the phone.

Twenty minutes later, he went outside, carrying two mugs of cider, with a cinnamon stick in each one. He found Luke sitting on the porch, untying a complicated hank of rope. There was a stack of pumpkins next to him, with a sheaf of newspaper, ready for carving that evening. He sat down next to Luke, his knees creaking and popping slightly as he did so.

Luke smiled a little as he took the mug and took a sip. “Hey,” he said. “Listen, I’m sorry I came unglued on you upstairs this afternoon. That was wrong and--“

“No,” Blake interrupted. “You were absolutely right and I’m actually glad you said it, because it was what I needed to open my eyes. I’ve been an idiot and a blind fool. And I’ve hurt you, which is something that I have never wanted to do.” He leaned forward and kissed Luke, rubbing his lips over his and savoring the flavor of apples and cloves on his mouth.

Luke eventually pulled away and looked at him uncertainly. “What are you telling me?”

“I’m telling you that I just gave my notice for work. And I called a travel agency to set up our trip to Maui. When I get back home, it will be to pack up and move down in here to this house with you. And then,” Blake leaned forward and kissed him again, “you will never have to miss me again.”

Luke’s smile made his world complete.

* * *

It was deep in the Midwest winter and snow blanketed the ground as Blake guided the Toyota 4Runner up the drive to the farmhouse. The cold drove its deep brittle fingers into his own bones and joints as he exited the vehicle, turning his aging body into slow moving collection of creaks and pops as he ambled up the stairs. Luke was in the kitchen, putting a kettle on the stove for tea and he already had a fire crackling, filling the space up with heat and the scent of burning wood. Blake dropped the sheaf of paper he was carrying on the table and approached Luke, giving him a gentle peck on the cheek, smiling broadly when Luke turned to look at him.

“Hey,” Luke said. “Did you get everything taken care of?”

“Yes.” Blake took a step back and stretched a little bit, then moving to the cupboard to get some mugs and honey. “The estate will be handed over to your nephew and his kids when we pass. It is already theirs in everything but name anyway.”

“Yeah,” Luke agreed. He would still get up early in the morning, before the sun was up to do some morning chores, such as feeding the animals and checking the estate for repairs, but most of the work was done by his nephew’s family, who lived right down the road. Luke’s nephew had a healthy brood of children, most old enough and willing to help their uncle Luke.

Blake watched Luke move around the kitchen, glad that he had made the decision to move out here all those years ago. He finally understood what Luke meant by waking up next to someone everyday, seeing their face and hearing their voice, how it could make you feel whole and complete again. Luke was showing the effects of age the same as Blake did, but had never lost his dark hair and the eyes that gazed out of his weathered face were still bright, sharp and shone with happiness whenever they saw Blake. It was one of the things, after living on the planet for close to 80 years, that still humbled him.

They sat down at the table near the fire with their tea, sipping at the hot liquid. Luke looked through the papers from the attorneys' office and Blake answered his questions. Then Blake carried their mugs to the sink and rinsed them out, staring out the window.

“Looks like more snow,” he commented, staring at the sky.

Luke leaned back in his chair, studying the papers. “Fine by me,” he decided. “We have plenty of fuel, and food for the animals.” He looked up at Blake, and then got up from his chair and crossed the room, pressing up behind him and linking his arms around Blake’s hips.

“What are you thinking about so hard over here?” he asked.

“About being stuck in the house for several more days with you,” Blake teased with a smile.

“Just for that, I’m going to make you get up at 4 A.M. tomorrow morning with me to go feed the animals."

“Not if I can come up with a convincing reason to keep you in the bed,” Blake responded and chuckled when Luke gave him an affectionate swat on the butt.

He and Luke had been lucky, he knew, able to live out their final days in the big rambling house that had always been filled with light and love, passed down through endless generations of his family. Neither one of them had any serious health issues, and despite Blake’s reservations, being together day in and day out for so many years hadn’t worn their bond thin. The love he had always had for Luke just blossomed again, every day and every year. He had never been happier than when he was with Luke and his only regret was that it had taken so long for him to see that. From the first springtime blush of their teenage love to the deepening twilight winter of their lives, he had always loved Luke, coloring his life with those endless seasons.

Seasons of love.

~End~

Copyright © 2013 CassieQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Yay! I do love a good happy story as you might have guessed by now. ^_^

 

I do have but one question about this one though: Why the jump right into their 40s, as opposed to stopping in their young adult years first? :huh: Reason I ask this is that one would think that Luke would have broached this issue before he and Blake had gone on the way they did for that long. (Silly Blake... :P) It also makes the jump seem that much more abrupt by going right from their initial teenage discoveries of each other, up to the "trouble in paradise" next, without much inbetween.

 

One other observation that I will make is that this story sort of has a feel of something that could have gone into an anthology, because of its self-contained, "complete" nature. It's also very...specific, such that it could fit right in under one of many potential themes.

 

All in all, a nice story. Feels like there could have been a bit more put in, but it's still a nice work. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Delightful. A superb uplifting story that warmed my heart. It has a certain kind of texture, like when your fingers wipe over suede. I was hooked by the colour of the journey of true love these two men held for each other. The story takes place on a farm and you could have written a million words with subplots and surprises. Instead, you focused on one emotion. Love. Oh i do like action, thrillers that kind of thing, but i also love stories that compel and engage no matter the genre. I'm a sucker for gay romance. With each paragraph you left me wondering if this romance will flourish or crash so you held me with that suspense. I loved the bits of detail you inserted about farm life. For me it was real. I was there with each character. The reveal was superb and well written. There was not one single word out of kilter here, oh, wait...that word smirked... Erm its just a pet peave of mine. This is a really beautiful story. Thank you.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

What a wonderful story. I loved seeing in one chapter their lives from beginning till end (or almost). In fact, though there was a lot of the details of their lives missing because of the shortness of the story it was still complete. I appreciate that it ended the way it did, and not with one or both of them dying.

 

As usual, Cassie, your stories are great.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Your story confirms that you are a hopeless romantic. I wish there were more of us in the world as it would be a kinder, gentler place!

Many thanks and kudos for a simple, yet touching story! :2thumbs:

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Cassie, what a beautiful story. =) It was so great to read a story where the love of two people lasted so many years.

 

And I agree with Terry; I hate reading stories where one or both of the main characters live out their life and then die; that's really heartbreaking. So ending the story where you did was perfect. :)

 

Awesome job Cassie! =)

  • Like 4
Link to comment

This is a lovely, sweet story. The time jumps threw me at first, (Only because I always imagine characters are older teenagers when I read this genre) but once I realized it, the story flowed well for me. It is hopelessly romantic and ultimately has a HEA that we could all wish for. It's a tale that's very easy to wrap yourself into.

 

This is one of those pieces that I could easily see expanded into several chapter as they pass through the stages of their lives. Even so, it's a nice piece. Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

This is a finely written story. I have a bias, because the first part makes me recall

similar experiences from my childhood at my grandparent's farm. Chickens, horses,

cows, the garden, ...No local boy however! Damn! Thanks for the lovely prose,

like Grandma's 'papery kiss'. It was a different world, -and here we are. Thanks for

the trip back though. It was nice.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 01/03/2013 03:55 PM, MJ85 said:
Yay! I do love a good happy story as you might have guessed by now. ^_^

 

I do have but one question about this one though: Why the jump right into their 40s, as opposed to stopping in their young adult years first? :huh: Reason I ask this is that one would think that Luke would have broached this issue before he and Blake had gone on the way they did for that long. (Silly Blake... :P) It also makes the jump seem that much more abrupt by going right from their initial teenage discoveries of each other, up to the "trouble in paradise" next, without much inbetween.

 

One other observation that I will make is that this story sort of has a feel of something that could have gone into an anthology, because of its self-contained, "complete" nature. It's also very...specific, such that it could fit right in under one of many potential themes.

 

All in all, a nice story. Feels like there could have been a bit more put in, but it's still a nice work. :)

Yes, I did notice you tend to like my lighter pieces. (My beta calls it fluff and happens to like them too). I can enjoy them too, as long as it not the only thing I write. :P

 

I did explore their young adult years a little bit. There is a little bit of debate as to what age that entrails, but I hit the summer time season right around their college years, which would be at least 20 or 21. And Luke did press the issue of their relationship (or lack thereof) sometime in the past, since Blake refers to it as "the same old fight". I think Luke might have been worried about pushing Blake too far, afraid that Blake would abandon him completely and it just got to the point where Luke wasn't willing to take it anymore. But it was definitely a sensitive issue for both of them and I'm glad Blake finally decided to stop being a moron and accepted a life with the man he loves. :)

 

And that is a very perceptive comment about the anthology. This piece was actually written for a special project meant to identify weakness in my writing and it has some of the same specifications that made it similar to an anthology, namely writing for a theme, having a word limit, and a deadline. (Thank God for deadlines)!

 

I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the review!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 01/03/2013 10:21 PM, LJH said:
Delightful. A superb uplifting story that warmed my heart. It has a certain kind of texture, like when your fingers wipe over suede. I was hooked by the colour of the journey of true love these two men held for each other. The story takes place on a farm and you could have written a million words with subplots and surprises. Instead, you focused on one emotion. Love. Oh i do like action, thrillers that kind of thing, but i also love stories that compel and engage no matter the genre. I'm a sucker for gay romance. With each paragraph you left me wondering if this romance will flourish or crash so you held me with that suspense. I loved the bits of detail you inserted about farm life. For me it was real. I was there with each character. The reveal was superb and well written. There was not one single word out of kilter here, oh, wait...that word smirked... Erm its just a pet peave of mine. This is a really beautiful story. Thank you.
Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed the story. This was a difficult story to write, but I fell in love with the characters and in the end, I was glad to be able to tell their story. And I'm very glad you liked the details of life on a farm (even though I have never set foot on one before).

 

Sorry about the word smirked. I guess we all have words that make us shudder on the inside. Maybe Luke can help you like that word again :D

 

Thank you again for the review. I'm so glad you liked this story.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/04/2013 03:05 AM, Terry P said:
What a wonderful story. I loved seeing in one chapter their lives from beginning till end (or almost). In fact, though there was a lot of the details of their lives missing because of the shortness of the story it was still complete. I appreciate that it ended the way it did, and not with one or both of them dying.

 

As usual, Cassie, your stories are great.

Thank you. It was interesting to write about their lives, even if there wasn't a lot of room for extra detail. I thought about having one of the characters die at the end, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I like them too much and really wanted to give them a happy ending :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/04/2013 04:17 AM, Daddydavek said:
Your story confirms that you are a hopeless romantic. I wish there were more of us in the world as it would be a kinder, gentler place!

Many thanks and kudos for a simple, yet touching story! :2thumbs:

Shhh, you'll ruin my rep! :P Nah, I like writing pure romance every once and a while. Blake and Luke were great characters and I enjoyed telling their story. Glad you enjoyed it as well. Thanks for reviewing :)
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 01/04/2013 05:21 AM, Lisa said:
Cassie, what a beautiful story. =) It was so great to read a story where the love of two people lasted so many years.

 

And I agree with Terry; I hate reading stories where one or both of the main characters live out their life and then die; that's really heartbreaking. So ending the story where you did was perfect. :)

 

Awesome job Cassie! =)

Thanks Lisa. I was thinking about having them die at the end, but I really didn't like that idea very much, so I'm glad I went with the ending I did. Everyone else seemed to like it too. Thank you so much for the feedback and I am glad you enjoyed it!
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/04/2013 05:54 AM, Mann Ramblings said:
This is a lovely, sweet story. The time jumps threw me at first, (Only because I always imagine characters are older teenagers when I read this genre) but once I realized it, the story flowed well for me. It is hopelessly romantic and ultimately has a HEA that we could all wish for. It's a tale that's very easy to wrap yourself into.

 

This is one of those pieces that I could easily see expanded into several chapter as they pass through the stages of their lives. Even so, it's a nice piece. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Mann, thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed the story, even if the time jumps through you off a little. I really liked exploring their love throughout the years, from young teens to older adults. I'm not much for HEAs, but I think Luke and Blake deserved one. Thanks for the review, I'm glad you liked the story.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/05/2013 08:03 AM, Stephen said:
This is a finely written story. I have a bias, because the first part makes me recall

similar experiences from my childhood at my grandparent's farm. Chickens, horses,

cows, the garden, ...No local boy however! Damn! Thanks for the lovely prose,

like Grandma's 'papery kiss'. It was a different world, -and here we are. Thanks for

the trip back though. It was nice.

LOL, Stephen, I loved your comment about the local boy. I have never stepped foot on a farm (even though my mom was raised on a chicken farm). I hope the details were accurate. The setting made me feel a little nostalgic, like it's a little part of the world you don't see that much of anymore. I'm glad you enjoyed the story and thank you so much for reviewing, I love seeing what you think. :)
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Beautiful! Luke and Blake weathering the storm of life and love and finally doing it together. Great writing!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 03/10/2013 04:16 AM, joann414 said:
Beautiful! Luke and Blake weathering the storm of life and love and finally doing it together. Great writing!
Thanks for the review Joann. I'm glad you liked it. :)
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Excellent job. I thought your character flow and the progression of their relationship was well done, especially for the limited amount of space. Thank you for writing this, as always it is a delight to read your work.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 03/11/2013 03:21 PM, DarkestFey said:
Excellent job. I thought your character flow and the progression of their relationship was well done, especially for the limited amount of space. Thank you for writing this, as always it is a delight to read your work.
Thank you for reviewing. I didn't think I would like writing shorter pieces, but they turn out to be rather fun. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, thanks for your kind words :)
  • Like 3
Link to comment

I loved this! ...even though it was fluffy. XD Your progression was amazing, characters on target. Wow. And I'm really, REALLY, glad you didn't end it with either of their deaths. Where you left off was perfect and made it so I wasn't reduced to tears. Great job!

Link to comment
On 07/12/2013 06:58 PM, said:
I loved this! ...even though it was fluffy. XD Your progression was amazing, characters on target. Wow. And I'm really, REALLY, glad you didn't end it with either of their deaths. Where you left off was perfect and made it so I wasn't reduced to tears. Great job!
Thank you. It was fluffy. :P But I'm glad you like the story and the characters. I'm glad I left it off where I did too, writing the deaths of these characters would have been too hard. :)
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/30/2015 at 5:18 PM, Timothy M. said:

Such a beautiful tale, in all it's simple and heart-warming affirmation of love.

OMG, I'm sorry it took me so long to respond to this. :(  

 

Thank you so much for commenting, I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I love these two guys and their story and I'm glad you do too.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..