Jump to content
    Caz Pedroso
  • Author
  • 647 Words
  • 1,578 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompts 2017 - 6. Who listens to the listener?

WARNING - This is not my usual happy ever after.

Who listens to the listener?

 

Sniffling I hit the speed dial.

“Hey, dahling, it’s a really bad time to talk right now. I’m just heading out for a date with that dreamboat I told you about. Thanks for listening last week and helping me decide. Gotta go, ciao.”

A long tone told me Larry had hung up and I just stood there staring at my phone.

I grabbed some tissues and hit the next number.

“This is Carter,” came the distracted answer. I could hear tapping in the background and figured he was on his laptop finishing his latest paper.

“Carter, I need—”

“Ah, I was going to ring you tomorrow. Thank you so much for being my sounding board the other day. The block disappeared this morning and I’ve been writing steadily ever since. I can’t talk now, but I promise I’ll call you tomorrow and we’ll arrange to go out and celebrate.”

Again, I heard the tone that told me he’d hung up.

I rummaged around in the bag at my feet. Ah, there it was. I pulled out the bottle of wine, opened it and took a large gulp before I picked my phone back up.

The next number was Tasha.

“Hi, this is Tasha, sorry I can’t come to the phone but leave me a message and I promise I’ll get back to you soon.”

I hung up before the beep ended.

Kirsty next.

As soon as she picked I started to speak, “Kirsty, I need you to—”

“Sorry, sweetie. I really can’t talk. Stevie isn’t well. He’s been chucking up all night and I need to get him to the doctors. We’ll have to catch up soon though, that advice you gave me really worked and I want to tell you all the juicy deats.”

Yet again there was that tone.

I gulped down more of the wine and dug in my bag for the candies I’d bought too. So much for my plans. Only hours before I was getting ready to celebrate. How could the world change so much in so short a time?

I scrolled through my contacts. Jessie? No, he was on the vacation I persuaded him he needed. Lester? No, he was studying for the exams that I’d assured him he would pass. Vanessa? No, she and Peter were on a second honeymoon, after I’d talked them through a rocky patch.

In a fit of rage I threw my phone and watched as it shattered against the far wall.

A knock on the door heralded the entrance of a tall woman wearing a sympathetic smile. “Hi, I’m Sally. I’m the hospital’s grief counselor and I heard about your loss.”

That was the last straw. I collapsed across the hospital bed and sobbed. I grasped the cold hand laying there and willed it to become warm. Will it to close over my hand as it had done so many times. I gripped so tight the wedding band on a cold finger dug into mine and would probably leave a bruise—I didn’t care. Nothing mattered anymore without him. We were supposed to be celebrating tonight. We’d just got the news that we’d been accepted to the adoption program. He’d been so happy. I’d only gone out to get drinks and snacks. I was only gone for twenty minutes. The flashing lights in the street hadn’t even registered until I realized they were outside our house. I’d responded on autopilot when the paramedics had taken him. The police were there too. Apparently, a neighbor had called them when he heard a crash. The police gave me a ride to the hospital. But, it was too late. A heart attack. At thirty years old.

A hand on my shoulder made me look up into Sally’s concerned gaze. “Sir, is there anyone I can call for you?”

Copyright © 2018 Caz Pedroso; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh, that was so sad. And to be all alone simply because people don't expect him to need them. I hope at least Sall can get through to some of his friends.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sad... This also made me angry. I understand giving friends everything... Always! The moment you need someone... It's a desert!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I hope his friends feel like S**T when they find out.  He NEEDED them and they blew him off without even taking 1 minute to listen to him.  I'm glad they aren't real because I'd track them down and do bodily harm. :fight: Less then 700 words and you stirred up all this emotion. :angry::worship:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 1 July 2017 at 2:06 AM, LadyDe said:

I hope his friends feel like S**T when they find out.  He NEEDED them and they blew him off without even taking 1 minute to listen to him.  I'm glad they aren't real because I'd track them down and do bodily harm. :fight: Less then 700 words and you stirred up all this emotion. :angry::worship:

 

It's actually based on a true experience, i just made it a bit more melodramtic to make a point. I'm glad i could infuse those few words with emotion, it is a wonderful complement for an author to get. 

 

On 29 June 2017 at 7:20 PM, BlindAmbition said:

Sad... This also made me angry. I understand giving friends everything... Always! The moment you need someone... It's a desert!

 

Yep, been there done that. It wasn't a death i needed their help with, but it was important and everyone was too busy. 

 

On 28 June 2017 at 10:25 PM, Puppilull said:

Oh, that was so sad. And to be all alone simply because people don't expect him to need them. I hope at least Sall can get through to some of his friends.

 

I'm sure one of his friends will suddenly wonder why he's gone off grid and call to find out. Then he'll be inundated with well meaning people trying to help. 

 

Thanks for commenting everyone 

 

:hug: 's to all of you. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..