Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 976 Words
  • 3,336 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mine! - 36. Part Two-Chapter Two

I smacked my head against the head rest once Ritch was inside. I shouldn’t have touched him, not even to pat his back. It only made the want and desire to touch him in other places that much worse. Ritch was such an odd mix of vulnerable and strong male that it was hard to remember why I needed to stay focused. The first time I’d met him was only a brief contact, with him as one of several werekin moving between clans.

I’d been out of my head with grief over the loss of my brother, and I’d been focused on removing threats. We were still under threat, but it was easier to let my human spirit guide me than my tiger soul. Ritch had the full attention of both the second he’d knocked on my door though.

He was tall, with a solid build. I was taller and stronger and had more advantages as a bonded werekin. I watched him around the humans who walked into the store, and he didn’t shy away from them, but he was still leery around other werekin. Maybe it would be better to help him set up a life outside of a streak or herd once this was all over.

My tiger soul was not happy with that thought. I caught my breath, rubbing my hand over my chest. I’d just have to get used to it; my job as protector of the streak extended to him when Deke accepted him. My focus needed to be on finding the people who’d hurt my brother, transforming him into a bonded werekin with two animal souls—something that no one had ever seen before—and preventing an attack that could destroy our way of life, or worse, alert the humans to our culture in the worst way possible.

I sighed. Deke and I had talked about this a few times. The world was so technologically advanced now, making things both easier and harder for werekin. A bonded werekin couldn’t just go into town. The bone structure of our faces was subtly different, creating a muzzle with sharp cheekbones and jutting jaws. Our animal souls marked our bodies with distinctive patterns that were impossible for many to hide. For a long time, human werekin had been the face of the clans, interacting with the human world while most of the streak lived simple lives.

But now there were online schools and businesses. More bonded werekin could receive an education and have a career without revealing our kind, if they were careful. Deke did it. But how long before someone out playing with a drone caught video of one of us? Or a traffic camera? Deke and I were convinced that we’d have to reveal our existence to the humans in our lifetime. We’d discussed preparations for that—but then all hell had broken loose when Kraig was taken and Deke’s dad died. He had to grow up fast to lead the streak, and I’d taken over protecting it.

A sharp rap on my window startled me. I rolled it down. “Why’d we stop here?” Christian kept his hood up and his hands inside his pockets. His back was to the camera, and he blocked any view into my window.

“Ritch needed some things. Once we’re done here, we’ll meet the others at the edge of our territory.”

“They won’t be happy if we’re late.”

I shrugged. “They’ll get over it. We got an early start this morning because I knew we needed to stop. I don’t think he’ll be very long.”

“Okay.” Christian headed back to his car. Not even fifteen minutes later, Ritch came outside with several bags. He opened the passenger door and slid inside, pulling a backpack off his shoulder.

“I thought I’d need something to put it all in.”

“Good thinking. I didn’t even consider that.” He had the ability to think ahead and focus on details I lacked.

“You sure it’s okay? You didn’t tell me to buy it.” I knew Ritch was unused to anyone being nice to him, other than the cousin he’d lost. Every time I tried to do something for him, he looked at me like horns were growing out of my head.

“Of course it’s okay. Otherwise you’d have to carry your things around in plastic bags. That wouldn’t work very well.” I pulled out of the parking lot, checking to make sure Christian was behind me. “We’re meeting everyone at the border, and then we’ll head to the hotel where Christian found—” I broke off, working my jaw. I didn’t really know what to call him.

“Where Christian stopped searching,” Ritch said quietly.

I took a deep breath. “Yes.”

As I drove, Ritch packed the backpack he’d purchased. “Did you get the phone?”

“Yes.” He pulled out a box.

“Good, you can plug that in. They don’t usually come fully charged.” I dug my phone out of my pocket. I pulled up my contacts, and hit the button to add a contact. “Here. Type in your name and phone number.” As soon as he handed it back, I set him up as the second contact.

“So how long until we reach the meeting place?” Ritch fiddled with the strap of his backpack.

“About twenty minutes.”

“Will some of them ride with us?” His nervous fidgeting betrayed his anxiety.

I wanted to reach out and touch his hand, still the compulsive rubbing of the seam in the strap, but I’d felt his muscles tense when I touched his leg the day before at the meeting. Touch still seemed to inspire more anxiety than it relieved.

“No. That’s why Christian is driving the SUV. He can take several with him, and then Durant’s man will take the others. We’ll make sure the clans are split equitably to avoid… conflict.”

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Arghhhh. Way too short :) . Park has it bad. Does he realize Ritch could be his mate? I couldn't be sure. And Ritch's aversion to his touch... couldn't that be the mate emotions Park causes in him? Anyway, rock and roll... things are moving along.......... slowly.....hehe. I'll say again I like having Park's POV, and it's definitely time human werekin were put on equal footing with bonded werekin. They are, after all, the faces of the packs... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/19/2017 02:46 AM, Headstall said:

Arghhhh. Way too short :) . Park has it bad. Does he realize Ritch could be his mate? I couldn't be sure. And Ritch's aversion to his touch... couldn't that be the mate emotions Park causes in him? Anyway, rock and roll... things are moving along.......... slowly.....hehe. I'll say again I like having Park's POV, and it's definitely time human werekin were put on equal footing with bonded werekin. They are, after all, the faces of the packs... cheers... Gary....

That 1k is a real bear, isn't it? The dynamic between Park and Ritch is very different from Deke and Kraig, even though both Ritch and Kraig have been victimized, but things can easily change when they're facing the wider world. And don't worry, the action won't be missing in this second half of the story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I agree with Gary, this chapter was frustratingly short. But it feels like next chapter could be trouble with the addition of members of the other clans into the picture. There are ways in which Ritch is still a puzzle, but less so now that we've got more information. One has to wonder exactly how bad it was, and whether his former captor has something to do with all this in some roundabout way.

Link to comment

Oh, Park has to rein in his feelings and tread so very carefully. Like approaching a wild animal. No sudden movements... And no guarantee Ritch will ever return his affection. A true test of character.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
12 hours ago, Cachondeo said:

Who is Christian? Are Christian and Cameron the same person? I’m a bit confused...🤔

Huh... No one else noticed that, least of all me! I renamed a character mid-story! OMG 😲 Yes, Cameron was his name and it apparently became Christian. I can't believe I did that, other than the fact this is a Briefers story so I wrote it just one 1k chapter per week, which takes forever and really spaces out the writing process. Things tend to be hard to keep track of. But a character's name?! 😵

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Cia said:

Huh... No one else noticed that, least of all me! I renamed a character mid-story! OMG 😲 Yes, Cameron was his name and it apparently became Christian. I can't believe I did that, other than the fact this is a Briefers story so I wrote it just one 1k chapter per week, which takes forever and really spaces out the writing process. Things tend to be hard to keep track of. But a character's name?! 😵

Well that’s ok, be it Christian or Cameron he seems to be on top of things and keeps Park’s somewhat impetuos nature in check! 😉

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..