Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,040 Words
  • 3,383 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mine! - 46. Mine! Part Two Chapter Twelve

“What in the hell happened to you guys?” Ritch asked. He shut the car door and followed Christian over to where we were sitting near the tents.

 

“Did you guys pick up the ice like I asked?”

 

“Yeah.” Christian went back to the car and grabbed the bag out of the trunk. He opened the ice chest. “It couldn’t have melted that fast.”

 

“Nope.” I held up a strip of my shirt holding a handful of ice before putting it back over the split in my lip. “We needed it.”

 

“Seriously, what happened? Were you attacked?”

 

“Yes,” Beau said. The gator glared at me, holding another chunk of ice in another torn off piece of my shirt—it’d been damaged beyond repair anyway—against the back of his head. The only

one not holding ice was the bear. He had a solid layer of fat over his firm muscles and a thick pelt of curly hair too.

 

He was watching me warily though. I might have taken a flying leap and drove my shoulder into his belly, knocking the wind right out of him.

 

“Training exercise,” I said.

 

“Seriously?” Ritch raised his voice. “So, you beat up your own guys right before you have a potential conflict with some seriously dangerous werekin and who knows how many humans and doctors?” His tone, the way he crossed his arms, and the expression on his face all screamed just how stupid he thought I was.

 

But the throbbing in my lip had masked the ache of his absence, and I’d discovered a few weaknesses we needed to fix. I pointed to the bear. “He’s slow.” The horse’s speed and strike power didn’t help when he was hampered by too many people around him. “Beau’s got a blind spot behind him.”

 

Ritch snorted. “We all do. Only moms have eyes in the back of their heads.”

 

“Ha, ha,” I fake laughed. “It was rough, but we’re all nursing minor injuries. I could’ve been hurt a lot worse if everyone knew how their strengths and weaknesses meshed. Now we have a fighting shot—pun intended.”

 

He crossed his arms over his chest. “So having a busted lip and black eye is no big deal?”

 

“I’ll heal fast.”

 

Christian shook his head. “Why do you have to be such a dick?”

 

I snarled at him but didn’t get up. The bear might have gotten in a good punch on my ribs in return. Ritch gasped and stared wide-eyed at Christian.

 

“What?” Christian made a face. “You think he hasn’t done this before? He likes to sneak attack as a training tactic. If you’ve patrolled the border of our territory, you’d been on the receiving end of one of Park’s little games.”

 

“And you wouldn’t have been tricked when I took on everyone here, would you?” I asked.

 

He shrugged. “Maybe. You wanna hear about what I did learn while I was gone?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Christian and Ritch both grabbed seats. “There’s an old hunting camp, usually packed with guys this time of year, that’s empty. Confusing the hell out of the game wardens, except there’s been talk of some weird animal attacks high up in the mountain. Folks are nervous. Usually they’d just track it down and kill whatever’s mauling animals, but there’s a group of government guys studying the specimen. They’re not naming it, and that’s got conspiracy theorists—dime a dozen in a small down—whispering pretty loud.

 

“Nothing about werekin, though.”

 

“Do you think these are real government guys?” Landon asked.

 

“No.” Ritch shook his head. “I recognized one of the descriptions as a guy who was once at the doctor’s.”

 

“So that’s it.” I leaned back and winced. “Confirmation. You call Deke?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“And?”

 

“We’ve got to wait until tomorrow. Get the go ahead from the full council.”

 

I sighed. “Of course.”

 

“Time to heal.”

 

The gator hissed. “Time to waste.”

 

“No. We need to be prepared. Fighting a feral is nothing like fighting me. Ferals don’t quit. They don’t give up. They don’t care about borders or dominance. They want food. Or blood.” I

avoided looking at Ritch. “Sex.”

 

“So, what now?”

 

“When it’s dark, we leave, staggered timelines to avoid the cars standing out as we go through town. Move closer. Wait for the word to go.”

 

“I’m going to take a nap.” Beau lumbered over to his tent.

 

“Probably a good idea for everyone,” Landon said. The purple bruise on his cheekbone was already fading to green around the edges. The guy healed impressively fast. “I’ll take first watch,” he offered.

 

“Thanks.” I followed Ritch toward our tents. He was wearing a pair of jeans that draped nicely over his ass, and I felt my tiger rumble inside.

 

“Can we talk?” Ritch asked.

 

“Of course. Do we need to go for a walk?”

 

Ritch shook his head. “No. You can lie down.” With the doors open our tents, we were close enough and angled so I could see him if I kept my head toward the door.

I didn’t quite hide my groan as I crawled into the low tent.

 

“Serves you right, you know.” Ritch snorted. “Getting in a fight.”

 

“I needed to know how they all defended themselves and if they could work together,” I said again. “It wasn’t all just a single attack. We also went through some defense scenarios, attack options.”

 

“Oh.” Ritch fiddled with the zipper on his tent door. “And where do I come into play?”

 

“You and Christian stay with the cars, protect our retreat.”

 

Ritch’s shoulders slumped. “Okay.”

 

“These are bonded werekin, and human werekin who might be altered and feral. We’re going to try to capture as many as possible, but you’re going to have a gun to protect yourself and you shoot to kill, you hear me? They get to the cars, you kill if you have to, and get out if that’s not enough, even if it means leaving us behind.”

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

We knew Park would have his reasons for his attack. I'm glad it was just training and not something of a greater threat to the mission. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Things are getting serious now. The showdown is approaching. Are they ready? Are they strong enough? It must really suck for Ritch to wait behind, even if it makes sense strategically and logically. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, Lux Apollo said:

We knew Park would have his reasons for his attack. I'm glad it was just training and not something of a greater threat to the mission. 

Well, he is an ass, but not enough to compromise things. Christian's pretty wise to his methods, which is why he waited for him to be gone, lol.

 

31 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

Things are getting serious now. The showdown is approaching. Are they ready? Are they strong enough? It must really suck for Ritch to wait behind, even if it makes sense strategically and logically. 

Yes, things are definitely moving along. Ritch has a valuable role as a human werekin, but fighting definitely isn't his strength, and there's no chance it won't come down to a fight.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
JayT

Posted (edited)

Ritch desperately wants to be useful. And he finally showed us what he could possibly be like once he finds his voice: "Serves you right..." 

Edited by JayT
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Yeah, Jay's right. Ritch is showing some attitude with Park. There is less of a division between them now, and that means Ritch trusts him. I wonder if that newly forged connection will come into play during the battle. Will Ritch do as he's told if he sees Park in danger? I highly doubt it. Great chapter, Cia... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, JayT said:

Ritch desperately wants to be useful. And he finally showed us what he could possibly be like once he finds his voice: "Serves you right..." 

I *might* have no problems saying that to my husband when he does something stupid. That, and "Stupid hurts." LOL

 

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, Headstall said:

Yeah, Jay's right. Ritch is showing some attitude with Park. There is less of a division between them now, and that means Ritch trusts him. I wonder if that newly forged connection will come into play during the battle. Will Ritch do as he's told if he sees Park in danger? I highly doubt it. Great chapter, Cia... cheers... Gary....

I dunno... Ritch has had a lifetime of doing what he's told. That's not exactly easy to overcome.

 

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:07 AM, hohochan657 said:

Argh ... there'll most probably be violence and bloodshed in the next chapter ... argh !

:/

Violence? Bloodshed? In one of my stories? :o 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

dime a dozen in a small down  -  dime a dozen in a small town   

Whoa, Cia, same problem in two consecutive chapters, tch, tch. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..