Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,003 Words
  • 4,079 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mine! - 35. Part Two - Chapter One

Just a quick note before you enjoy the chapter. The story continues right where it left off, but we're going to follow the action by switching over to Park as the first person point of view character as he and Ritch begin their journey to track down the traitors threatening the clans. That's why this is Part Two - Chapter One.

I shoved another shirt in the spare bag. We really needed to stop at a store somewhere so Ritch could run in and grab some clothes. He couldn’t wear mine forever, though I liked seeing him in my clothes. I hadn’t been even remotely subtle about my interest and need to protect Ritch. That was probably why Deke had accepted him, even while he was on edge after just mating Kraig.

With everything going on, though, it wasn’t the time to say anything to Ritch. He’d been abused, used in the worst way by people who should’ve protected him, and he’d lost the only family who mattered to him. But I would show him how a human werekin should be treated.

“Hey, Ritch?”

Ritch came out of the bathroom but he stopped in the doorway before his toes could touch the bedroom carpet. “Yes?”

“Since we haven’t had a chance to take you shopping, I packed some of my clothes for you. Would you mind going down to the kitchen and grabbing some snacks and drinks? There’s a cooler in the garage and there should be a soft-sided tote on one of the shelves.”

“I can do that. Is there anything you want in particular?” Ritch rubbed his hands on his thighs.

“How about more of those sandwiches you made yesterday? They were really good.”

Ritch beamed. “The roast beef with the stone ground mustard?”

“Oh yeah.” My mouth was already watering. “A lot of them. I’m starving, and yours always taste better than mine.”

“I put mustard on both slices of bread. How long until we need to leave?” Ritch asked.

“As soon as we’re done packing. We’re going to stop at the store on our way out of town and at least get you the basics.” I

“You don’t have to do that,” Ritch protested. “I don’t want you to spend your money on me.”

“Of course, I don’t.” I stepped into the closet and pushed the clothes to one side so I could get to the safe built into the wall. “But I’m sure you’d like to have some underwear of your own, and you can pick out your own type of deodorant and shampoo so you don’t have to keep using mine if you like something else better. It’s no big deal.”

“I’ll pay you back.” Ritch said that like it was a promise.

“Not necessary. Besides, you’re helping us. The streak pays me a wage, and you will get one too. Christian’s markings can be passed off as tattoos, but mine can’t. I’m going to need your help to talk to any humans.”

Ritch’s eyes were huge. “Really?”

“Yep.” I got the safe open finally and began to pull out my guns. For most clan business, I used my strength and weapons as a bonded werekin. But in the human world, I’d need human weapons. I also found a knife in a sheath that could slid over a belt. “Here.” I stepped out and tossed the knife to Ritch. “You can never be too careful. Just make sure it’s covered when you’re among the humans.”

“A knife?” I’d only thought Ritch’s eyes were huge. Now I could nearly see the whites all around his irises.

“You don’t have claws to protect yourself.”

Ritch flinched. “Oh.” He looked down. “Right. I’ll go make those sandwiches,” he said quietly.

What just happened? He’d gone from surprised and what I thought was happy to monotone with a carefully blank face. I didn’t like it. I replayed what I said in my head, and winced. That had come out wrong, and I needed to apologize. We had to go though.

We could talk in the car.

I pulled out another knife and threaded it on my belt. Maybe that would help.

 

The windows of my SUV were as dark as legally possible, but I still made sure to pull into a shadowed spot instead of under a light. I reached into my pocket for my wallet. “Here.” I pulled out a card. “Make sure you pick up a wallet too.”

“What’s this?”

“I had an extra card for my account. This is yours so you can buy what you need. If we got separated, you’d need money.” I held on to the card when Ritch grabbed it. “About what I said earlier. I didn’t mean it like how it sounded. I carry a knife when I leave the compound too. It’s not bad that you don’t have claws, but it does make me want to make sure you have a way to defend yourself. That’s all.”

Ritch’s shoulders relaxed. “I’m sorry. I know you’re not like the guys I grew up with. Being a human werekin isn’t a bad thing to you.”

“It really isn’t, but I’ll try not to say insensitive things if it bothers you.” I let go of the card.

“Thank you.”

“I said I’ll try. Deke isn’t the only one who has trouble saying the wrong thing.”

Ritch smiled. “I’ll try not to take offense.”

“Appreciate it.” My phone beeped with a text alert. “Oh, make sure you pick up one of those loadable phones too. You’ll need a way to communicate.”

“That’s too expensive,” Ritch protested.

“No, it’s just smart. Everyone needs to be able to stay in contact. We’re looking for traitors who are hurting human werekin. You saw what they did to Kraig, to my dad. You’re a human werekin. I want you to be able to call for help if anything happens. Otherwise I’m going to worry about you.”

“Okay, okay, I get it.”

“I expect you to have enough clothes for at least a week, along with anything else you need. And a sturdy pair of boots. Those sneakers you have aren’t adequate. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve set up their sick experiments in a remote location.”

“Do you want anything?”

“Slim Jims. I’m craving some salty meat.”

Ritch choked, and I pounded on his back. “You okay?”

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh man, that ending! :-D

 

The switch in perspective is interesting, even if it was unexpected. I like the difference in Park's voice compared to Deke, and definitely looking forward to more!

Link to comment

Salty meat... *snicker snicker* Park needs a crash course in innuendo and how to detect it! It'll be interesting to follow these two on their search.

Link to comment

I concur..." salty meat"... hehe. I am so happy that we are getting Park's POV. This really opens the story up, and I already like the dynamic between him and Ritch. Road trip! I'm excited :) ... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment

The last three lines nearly made me cry from laughing so much. Thanks for that!
While I'm here, Cia, great story, cool characters and keep it coming, please.
Cheers,
B.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/13/2017 05:23 AM, BrianM said:

The last three lines nearly made me cry from laughing so much. Thanks for that!

While I'm here, Cia, great story, cool characters and keep it coming, please.

Cheers,

B.

I aim to please! I couldn't resist that moment. Thanks for the review.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/12/2017 03:40 AM, Headstall said:

I concur..." salty meat"... hehe. I am so happy that we are getting Park's POV. This really opens the story up, and I already like the dynamic between him and Ritch. Road trip! I'm excited :) ... cheers... Gary....

I thought we really needed to move beyond the character POV we already have, and I always wanted to see more from Park. I hope you'll like this half of the story too.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/11/2017 10:32 PM, Puppilull said:

Salty meat... *snicker snicker* Park needs a crash course in innuendo and how to detect it! It'll be interesting to follow these two on their search.

I think Park is a tad... direct. Then again, maybe he was just trying to put Ritch at ease. Hmmm....

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/11/2017 08:17 PM, JayT said:

"I'm craving some salty meat." OMFG I fracking love that line and the reaction to it ;)

Well, I think I might 'choke' a bit too at that line. LOL

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/11/2017 08:17 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Oh man, that ending! :-D

 

The switch in perspective is interesting, even if it was unexpected. I like the difference in Park's voice compared to Deke, and definitely looking forward to more!

I felt we needed to follow the action, and since I am nothing if not creative, I decided a switch in POV would be good. I could've started a new story, but I felt it best to just keep going in this one, since the only real change is who the main characters are. I hope you'll continue to enjoy the new angle the story goes in!

Link to comment
dughlas

Posted (edited)

Okay, I 'm long overdue in leaving a review. I like the premise you've established. This is not just another were story. There are funky little twists that make it your own world. I want to know so much more about it. In my younger years I indulged in fantasy role play and these characters intrigue me. I actually played a character who had lynx markings tatooed on his face and upper body. So imagining the markings on Deke, Park and particularly Kraig has my mind churning.

While I understand the short chapters occasionally they've irked me. Just when it seems to get going it stops. Some things I'd like to know a bit more in depth get lost. Same thing happened with the first part of Mann's I&C story. Just a fault in the nature of the beast. Not sure you could do anything about it without causing things to bog down.

In case you couldn't tell I'm enjoying this.

Edited by dughlas
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, dughlas said:

Okay, I 'm long overdue in leaving a review. I like the premise you've established. This is not just another were story. There are funky little twists that make it your own world. I want to know so much more about it. In my younger years I indulged in fantasy role play and these characters intrigue me. I actually played a character who had lynx markings tatooed on his face and upper body. So imagining the markings on Deke, Park and particularly Kraig has my mind churning.

While I understand the short chapters occasionally they've irked me. Just when it seems to get going it stops. Some things I'd like to know a bit more in depth get lost. Same thing happened with the first part of Mann's I&C story. Just a fault in the nature of the beast. Not sure you could do anything about it without causing things to bog down.

In case you couldn't tell I'm enjoying this.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. :) The length is a challenge, definitely, especially spaced out over a week, then over a year. It can make the chapters somewhat disassociated, no matter how hard I try to follow a master plot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..