Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,747 Words
  • 9,758 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Christmas Story - 1. Chapter 1

I watched the snow gently falling on the white carpet that was already covering the ground. The snow fell as if it was dancing, lightly twirling as the wind kissed each flake as it fell. I was mesmerized by the snow, and my thoughts began to drift as I thought of all the snowfalls I have experienced since I was a boy. I was lost in my thoughts, when I felt the arms of my husband, Troy, wrap them around my waist with his chin resting on my shoulder.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it? I always like the snow. It looks like a wonderland.”

“Yes, and with you, it’s my wonderland. I’m so glad that we got married this summer, and sharing this moment with you is great. I love you, Troy.”

“I love you also, Chad. Do you remember what Christmas was like when you were a little boy? I remember my Christmases.”

“I remember my brother and I always looked forward to Christmas morning. The first thing we’d do is empty our stockings. The night before Christmas, we’d beg our dad for one of his big work stockings to hang on the door. My dad would give us one of our baby stockings, and we’d laugh while he handed us one of his work stockings. I don’t think he ever really worn them. They were like the Christmas stocking you buy in the stores now, almost as big.”

“Being an only child, I had no problem getting a big stocking. My family spoiled me. It wasn’t until I started school when I realized how spoiled I was. I remember my stocking always had a small gift in it. When I was 14, my parents bought me a watch and placed it in my stocking along with a lot of chocolate and money, mostly nickels and dimes. I was so happy when I opened my stocking and found the watch. I never had one, and I proudly showed it to all of my friends.”

“Our stocking was filled each year with the same items, nuts, candy, an orange, and a peppermint stick. But we enjoyed emptying them just as much if they were filled with presents. My parents always got us one gift we had to share. One year they got us a gun and holster set. We had two guns and one holster, which we had to share. The big game that we played with our friends was cowboys and Indians. So rather than argue about whose turns it was to wear the holster, I let him have it. I was the Indian most of the time anyway. But Christmas dinner was always a feast with roast turkey and all of the trimmings. In a way, I miss those days. They were simpler.”

“This will be our first Christmas as a family. “

I noticed Troy had a tear in his eye as he said this. It was something to see this sensitive side of my husband, who generally was the one I always looked upon as being my strength. Our love for each other seems to grow stronger each day.

“Troy, what do you want to do for Christmas dinner? We could fly home or just stay here. Either have it catered or cook it ourselves, what do you think?”

After a few minutes, as we continued to look out the window at the snow, “I think I’d like to spend our first Christmas at home with you. We’ll cook our dinner. I love the smells of roasting turkey, and we must have homemade cranberry sauce, nothing from a can.”

I just smiled and gave him a big hug and a soft kiss on the lips. “That’s why I love you so much.”

The next morning, we outside intended to shovel out the driveway. However, Chad decided to build a snowman, which led to a snowball fight. Then he had to show me how to make a snow angel. By the time the driveway was cleared and the walk to the front door, it was early evening. We never stopped for lunch, but we had a lot of fun acting like kids again.

“I’d like to go to church tomorrow. What about you? Will you go with me?”

“Of course, I’d like nothing better.”

As we entered the church, the Christmas trimmings seem to brighten our morning. It was putting us in the Christmas mood, and my excitement began to grow. Christmas was only a few days away. I had some last-minute shopping to do, and Troy had a shopping list to fill. As we left the church, wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, the Pastor came up to us.

“Chad and Troy, I have a favor to ask of you.” He continued as we nodded our heads. “There’s a young boy and girl in our parish that live with their father. The father has cancer and isn’t expected to live through the holidays. Would you let these children share Christmas with you? You don’t have to buy them gifts, but if they could spend the day with you, I think it would be a relief to their father, and I know you boys will see that they have a good time.”

I looked at Troy, who was already getting ready to answer, and I knew what the answer would be. I had a few more things to add to my shopping list.

“Yes, Father, we’d be glad to share our Christmas with the children and even the father if he wanted to join us.”

“Chad, I knew you would say yes. Thank you, let’s meet tomorrow here, and I’ll take you to meet the family."

And so it was arranged. Chad decided he’d do the grocery shopping while I did our last minute Christmas shopping. I knew we’d have to make another trip as soon as we met the family.

The next morning Chad had a smile on his face that stretched from ear to ear. I knew it wasn’t the time we enjoyed before sleep last night, although that did put a smile on my face. “What’s up with you this morning?”

“I can’t wait to meet the family today. As much as I love the holidays, it always seems that a family makes it better like there’s more love in the air, and it reaches your soul.”

“You’re right, and there’s something I wanted to talk to you about. Let’s take our coffee into the living room, and I’ll tell you what’s on my mind.” As we sat down on the love seat, “I was wondering what you would think about adopting a child? It would be nice to have someone in our lives that we could love and be part of us. So many children need a home, and we have a nice home. We can afford to have one or two children, what do you think?”

“Troy, you must have been reading my mind. I think that’s a great idea, and having those children for Christmas will be like a test run for us. I can hardly wait. Let’s go and meet them.”

I couldn’t have stopped Chad if I tried. Within 5 minutes, he’s in the car, ready to go. “Hurry up.”

We drove to the church to pick up Father James to take us to meet the family. We went out of town along a dirt road that was a logging road a long time ago. The house was a small wooden place that badly needed a coat of paint. It was apparent that the family was living on welfare. When Father James knocked on the door, a young boy of about 12 years old answered.

“Hello, Andrew. How’s your dad today? I brought some friends with me. Can we come inside?”

“Hello Father, yes, please come in. Dad’s in the living room, and he’s feeling a little better.”

“Thank you, Andrew. This is Chad and Troy, and they want you and your sister to spend Christmas with them. How do you feel about that?”

“I appreciate the invitation, but we can’t leave Dad. But Susan can go, and I’ll stay with Dad.”

I took a look at Chad, and as if he read my mind, “Andrew, if your dad can travel, he can come with us as well. Do you think I could ask him to join Troy and me for Christmas?”

“Well, I’m not sure he can go, but if he can, then I thank you for the invitation.”

Father James led the way into the house as Andrew went and told his father they had company. When we entered the house, I noticed that it was spotless. The furniture looked old but showed loving care. Andrew’s father was a skeleton of a man. The disease had ravaged his body, and with one look, you knew he’d be meeting his maker soon.

After Father James introduced us, I spoke to him about coming to our home to spend Christmas. At first, it seemed he wanted to say no, but when he looked at his children, with tears in his eyes, he agreed. Andrew and Susan came over to us and thanked us for the invitation.

Then Troy said something. I thought he was mind reading. “Why don’t you get ready and there is no reason to wait till Christmas to join us, you all can come with us now. Would you like that?”

“Does that include my dad?”

“Yes, Andrew, it certainly does. Why don’t you go and pack some clothes for you, your sister and Dad? Then we can all go now.”

Troy looked at me, and I smiled and shook my head, yes. Father James gave Troy a hug, “God bless you, boys.”

“He already has, Father.”

Andrew came out of the bedroom with his and Susan’s clothes in a plastic bag. He went into another room and soon came out with a pair of pants and a heavy shirt. I looked at Chad, and he knew what I was thinking and nodded his head yes. Chad left and went to warm up the car.

Andrew and Susan took the clothes to the car while Father James and I helped their dad. The man couldn’t have weighed more than 80 pounds. The disease has taken a heavy toll on his body. We dropped Father James off at the church with the promise he’d come out to see us the next morning.

Arriving home, Chad pulled the car into the garage. I took Andrew and Susan into the house and asked them to wait while I helped Chad bring in their dad. We took their dad to the living room and got him settled into the Lazy Boy. I got a blanket to cover him as he appeared to be cold. I then took Andrew and Susan upstairs to the guest rooms. When I opened the door to one of the guest room, Andrew’s eyes got big. “Andrew, this is where you will sleep while you are here. Is this ok?” Andrew didn’t have to answer me. His eyes and gaping mouth said a lot. Susan, your room is right across the hall from Andrews.” Again when I opened the door to that room, I noticed tears in her eyes.

“Thank you. This room is very nice.”

“You’re welcome, sweetheart. When you and Andrew are ready, come downstairs, and we can have some hot chocolate.” I left the doors open and smiling, I left.

While I was upstairs with the children, Chad was busy talking to their father. It seems that he’s their only living relative and was quite concerned about what would happen to them after he left. As I entered the room, I heard the last of that statement, and then Chad surprised me, “I know that you love those children, and it worries you as to what will happen. Troy and I have been talking about adopting. I see that your children are well mannered and if it would put your mind at rest, I think we’d like to adopt them. We are already impressed with them, and I know that before this day is over, they will win our hearts. If you are amenable to that, we could start the process now while you’re here. You all can stay here well after Christmas. We can take Andrew back home and get whatever you need for a longer stay.”

I walked into the living room and placed my hand on Chad’s shoulder. Andrew’s dad looked at us, I’m not sure what he saw or thought, but soon there was a smile on his lips and a sigh of relief. He nodded his head, “I think it would be good for my children to have you in their life. I’ll give my consent for you two to adopt them.”

I had tears in my eyes as I gave Chad a big hug and a tearful thank you to Andrew’s dad. Chad went and called Father James while I fixed hot chocolate for the children. I asked Andrew’s dad if he wanted something to drink, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or water.

“I‘d like a cup of tea, and please call me Dave. I haven’t had a good cup of tea since my wife passed on, and I’d appreciate it now.”

I went to fix Dave’s tea when Andrew came into the kitchen. “My dad takes these pills three times a day, and may I have a glass of water so he can take one now.”

As I was getting the glass of water, “Are you and Susan ready for your hot chocolate?”

“Yes, please, may we drink it in the living room with my dad?”

“Yes, you can. Do you need help to carry the cups?”

He didn’t need to answer as Susan came and got the water while Andrew carried the hot chocolate. I brought the tea to Dave. I couldn’t help noticing how the children seemed to sit on the floor, ensuring they touched their dad. They knew what was going to happen, and I guess they wanted to spend as much time as possible with him.

Later that evening, Chad lit a fire in the fireplace while I began preparing dinner. Chad came into the kitchen and told me about the phone call to Father James. He will be arriving at about 10 am tomorrow with a lawyer to complete all the paperwork so we can be the children’s guardians after Dave passes on. I gave him a hug and a soft kiss, “I love you.”

Dinner wasn’t anything special, but we all enjoyed it. I set up some tables in the living room. Andrew helped his dad eat, although he didn’t eat much. Andrew told me later that was the most his dad had eaten in weeks. I gave him a hug, which I enjoyed, and knew that these children would get a lot of hugs from us.

After dinner, Dave asked if he could spend some time with the children alone. Of course, we agreed and went into our study while he talked to Andrew and Susan. We could hear them talking but not what they were saying. It wasn’t long before there was a knock at our door. Andrew came in with tears in his eyes. “What’s wrong, Andrew?”

“My dad told us that when he goes to meet my mother that you want us to stay here. I don’t want my dad to go and see my mother, but I know it’s going to happen. I was worried about what was going to happen to Susan and me after he left us. I promise we’ll be good and not get into any trouble. I hope you can love us as my mom and dad do.”

Chad didn’t hesitate one minute when he grabbed Andrew into a hug. “Andrew, we’re sorry that your father needs to go and live again with your mother, but you do not need to worry. Troy and I want you and Susan to live here with us. You, your sister and dad are not going home. This is your family’s new home, and we’re going to do everything possible to make you happy and feel loved.”

I went over to them and joined in the hug. Facing the door, I saw Susan standing there. I opened my arms for her, and in a second, she was in on the hug as well.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 20
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

13 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I believe Father James knew what he was doing when he asked Troy and Chad to have  Andrew and Susan over for Christmas.The way you described Andrew I bet they made up their mind to adopt as soon as they met.

Troy and Chad talked about adopting before they met Father James, was it coincidence that Father James asked them to include the children or was it a higher power giving. Father James a push in the right direction.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
12 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Wow what a chapter. Father James knew what he was doing when he asked Troy and to have Andrew and Susan for Christmas, he knew they would make great parents.

Yes, he knew the guys and knew that they had a big heart.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, mikedup said:

Wow talk about an instant family, sad and happy at the same time, a mixed emotions Christmas

For a lot of people Christmas is a time of mixed emotions, this year especially  as the pandemic takes it's toil.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, donna4953 said:

Another winning story in our future.

This is a short story. In fact the next few are short stories and then ????

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Love is all there is... It is just a shame that so many these days see past it to the bad things in life and forget the good. Father James seems a good guy as many would have looked at the two men  and shunned them, not even considering for one moment what great guardians they would make for the children. Loving it, you have a real talent of making your characters pull you into the story.... Thank you.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Kev said:

Love is all there is... It is just a shame that so many these days see past it to the bad things in life and forget the good. Father James seems a good guy as many would have looked at the two men  and shunned them, not even considering for one moment what great guardians they would make for the children. Loving it, you have a real talent of making your characters pull you into the story.... Thank you.

Thanks Kev, unfortunately you are right. I know several gay couples that would love to be in these men's shoes. Religious bigots would rather see a child die, or be placed in a loveless home than see them in a gay home where there is love. You touched on one of my pet peeves,

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..