Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Confessions of a Diabetic Cat - 3. Chapter 3 - The Date

Prompt 736 – Creative
Tag – List of Words
Use the following words in a story – A laser, a police officer, a queen, a silver bell, and book.

The Date

Hunter slammed the door behind him as he entered the room, “I’ve got a date bitches!”

The orange cat, resting calmly on a pair of socks, quickly jumped up and darted from the room. Antonio watched as his mate’s belly swayed with each hasty step.

“Can you believe it?” Hunter said excitedly, bending over and petting the slim black cat rigorously. Obviously with too much relish because the black cat also scampered off to the kitchen.

Snuggles was in the corner carefully watching the entrance to the doorway when Antonio scooted through it.

Antonio sat down, arched his neck, and looked back to make sure the overly rambunctious human wasn’t following.

When Hunter didn’t appear, the orange cat lay down and closed his eyes, purring loudly.

Antonio watched him for a moment, then returned to see what would happen next.

Above their heads, upstairs, both cats could hear closet doors banging, a shower turn on, some bad singing. A poor rendition of ‘We will rock you!’ punched through the ceiling. Both cats looked up when the water sounds, and singing, stopped.

Antonio trotted up the stairs and slinked into the bathroom. He watched Hunter warily and he gave the man a wide berth, finally reaching his objective. The black cat hopped onto the side of the tub, saw the trickle of water still spilling from the spout, and jumped to the bottom. He licked at the cool running water as he listened to the man continue his bizarre rituals.

Hunter turned on the hair dryer, which he rarely did, and the angry squeal of the motor made Antonio pause from his drinking. It drove him from out of the bathroom and back down the stairs, in the process passing Snuggles, who was on the landing.

The orange cat was staring up the stairway with an ear cocked. He wasn’t scared of the horrible sound of the appliance for some reason. In fact, it was a bit soothing.

Antonio escaped down to the kitchen where the sound was the least annoying.

Hunter turned off the dryer and hurriedly dressed into his Queen concert t-shirt and black jeans with a silver bell embroidered on the back pocket. Snuggles watched and mewled at him. Maybe they could play with the laser pointer before he left.

The man bent over and rubbed the orange cat’s broad back. “I’m on my way. Be a good boy.”

Hunter skipped down the wooden steps and after grabbing his coat and jangling keys, he was out the door.

Both cats heard the lock click into place.

“Serapis,” the black cat called. “What the hell is he doing now?”

“He’s gone,” the orange cat responded. “Something about a hot date.”

“He was so excited,” Shai said coming in from the kitchen. “I don’t get why humans get so agitated about it.”

“Humans are big into their social events,” Serapis said casually in between licks of his bright orange fur. “Personally, I don’t get it.”

“This isn’t just an ordinary social event,” Shai said, sitting on his haunches and sniffing the air. “He’s got a date. That’s why he was so animated.”

“Why do they get so excited about copulating?” Serpis said, pausing and looking at the black cat quizzically.

“That’s right,” the black cat mused, stretching his long, slim back into a hump. “You’ve never had sex before, have you?”

“Naw,” the orange cat answered. “I was fixed as a kitten.”

“Sex is fun. It feels good, but not that good,” the black cat answered, sitting back down and twisting his neck to the side. “I did it a couple of times before I got snipped, but it wasn’t all that thrilling. Birds are much better to watch, I think.”

The orange cat seemed to consider the idea. He finally responded, “I prefer mice and flies myself, but I like watching birds and figuring out how to catch them is fun. Flies are pretty entertaining as well.”

“Not to mention tasty,” Shai said, hunching down on all four paws. “So, why do you suppose he was so excited?”

“Well, I’m not sure. A date can’t be nearly as exciting as when he watches those shows with all the cars racing and crashing. Or when he playing with the game with shooting and such. What’s it called? Police-something?”

The black cat considered the comment and question that followed. “It’s called Police Chase, but he seemed excited in a completely different way than when he watches movies and plays games.”

“He smelled different too,” Serapis said, twitching his nose. “He smelled kind of soapy and leathery.”

“Maybe the person he’s meeting likes leather things or being extra clean.” The black cat snorted. “Though why he had to use that awful hair dryer thing is beyond me.”

“He wanted to look nice,” the orange cat sighed. “I’m tired.”

“I am too,” Shai said, and the two cats plopped down on the rug.

The orange cat lay his head next to a book with a heart on the cover. It was something Hunter kept on his side table, but it was better on the floor. Snuggles made sure it got pushed off daily.

Both were dozing in seconds, in a way only cats can.

***

Hunter’s return wasn’t late, in fact it was only about an hour or so later. His face was drawn, and his affect was flat.

The big orange cat awoke immediately and sensed that something was not right. He got up, stretched, and trotted over to the man who was taking off his jacket and rubbing his eyes.

“Snuggles, did you miss me?” Hunter asked. He bent over and stroked the big, fat cat’s back, which caused the feline to meow with delight. A loud purr rumbled from deep within his chest. He rubbed against the man’s calves lovingly.

“Didn’t show,” Hunter said, falling back into the couch. “So rude.” He said looking at both Antonio and Snuggles.

The orange cat meowed again loudly and crouched down, showing the man he was ready to play.

Hunter chuckled in a low voice and reached over to the coffee table. He grasped the laser pointer and shook it at both cats. Antonio and Snuggles immediately got into position.

“Time to play dot,” Hunter exclaimed and the two of them chased the phantom spot of light, never catching it, but always trying.

After a couple of minutes, the two cats were done playing and watched as Hunter arched the light back and forth.

“If you’re done, I’m done,” he said, whipping his cheek again. “I’m going upstairs.” He sighed, and then got up.

The man walked quietly, and slowly up the stairway. The two cats watched in tandem until he disappeared from their sight. They heard a gasp, and then a couple of soft moans, and finally sobs.

“Is he crying?” Shai asked his fluffy orange friend.

“Yeah,” Serapis responded. “I better go up and comfort him.”

“So it was that bad, huh?” the black cat mused. “I just don’t get it.”

The orange cat stood up and started toward the stairs. “Maybe we’ll never understand, but we can still help.”

Shai nodded in agreement and watched as his friend walked carefully up the stairs to aid the hurting man.

 

I wonder what Haley's up to?
Copyright © 2019 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 7
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

You've totally nailed the cats' reactions and I love hearing their thoughts.  Pushing the book onto the floor daily is hysterical.  I don't know what it is with cats and laying on things.  Mine like to sleep on my remotes and phones.  lol  I feel  bad for Hunter.  Cats do seem to know when we need comforting.  Great chapter! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Fixed cats reminds me that I don’t have any neighborhood felines in heat the way I used to in my old apartment. The yowling used to wake me up occasionally and made me understand why the boots flew at cats in cartoons!

 

Feral cat are the reason why songbirds are becoming scarce. It’s too bad they can’t be trained to go after the overpopulated flocks of pigeons, seagulls, and geese. And if they have to attack songbirds, I nominate House Sparrows (aka ‘English Sparrows), an invasive species introduced to North America by homesick English immigrants.

Link to comment

Aw! I may have to go out and find a cat that will be able to stand me!

 

Great little chapter.  Sad for Hunter, but at least he has friends who will comfort him. :)

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The orange cat, resting calmly on a pair of socks... (Why are they doing this? It's too funny.)

Wow Cole, you used the prompt's word perfectly! Thanks for this, I had fun!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..