Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shuffle off to Buffalo - 3. Prompt 3 - . . . In the Night

Story Slam
You are feeling very pleased with yourself
A one-armed woman
Grrrr

Prompt 3 – . . . In The Night

 

The dog growled menacingly, with a murderous, grrr! It was followed by a sharp bark of warning, as I opened the locked door with a pick. The jangle from the burglar tools threatened to betray me, but I silenced them with the soft, pliable leather pouch. Encasing them and fisting the metal implements tightly, I gradually slid the latch open, and pushed the door open slowly. A single creak filled the night air, which only preceded another threatening growl, this one louder.

I flipped open the bladder-skin bag which I’d conveniently left untied. The rich, bloody smell of goat meat filled the night air, and I heard the dog’s growl turn to a whimper. It was just as sharp and just as dangerous as the grrr in the night or the piercing bark, but it ended as I tossed the meat just behind the door.

The sounds of excited snorts, chomping, and clattering nails on the stone cobbles calmed me. I finally breathed deeply when I heard the animal thump on the floor. The dog wheezed softly. The tar of poppies had done its work. I waited a moment more, and stepped in through the door.

A low glow emanated from the hearth, dimly illuminating a bundle of brown and white fur slumped on the floor, ribs rising and falling slowly. A gentle burp was followed by steady breathing. Leaning in, I could smell the fading odors of cabbage, pork offal, and sage. I couldn’t see much past the low light of the coals still silently smoking up through a hole in the roof.

Stepping onto the stones, my soft, calfskin shoes clung to the stone while making no noise. The wisp of my cloak could only be noticed by me. I was as quiet as a moonbeam and as stealthy settling dust. I was confident my presence wouldn’t be noticed.

As I passed the dog, it sniffed once, and then calmed again. The shadows at the back of the hovel were frozen. I only needed to reach the bench barely visible and lift the box from its secreted spot.

My eyes remained to the back, waiting for a flicker of light and blackness to change. Nothing moved. I could hear the box calling to me, its contents waiting for liberation. Sniffing the air, I could sense no exertions or even permutations in the air in the hovel.

I crouched down, found the worn, smooth, glossy wood of the box containing the object I desired, no needed, and still trained my eyes on the back of the room.

There were no movements. No alarm was noted. No shadow twitched.

I crept back to the front door and it opened to my touch without a sound. Pressing it closed, I turned and slinked back through the garden with lush bunches of rosemary and lavender, tender lovage, and even jumping over a row of mandrake.

Into the woods I leapt.

I’d done it. I’d taken back what was mine and what was my family’s legacy. I breathed deeply for the first time as I passed the second row of willows, ‘round the pond, and beyond the gurgling spring.

Then I heard a cry, no, a shriek.

It wasn’t just a shriek of dismay or anger. It was a blood-curdling howl of fury. It was high and fever-pitched. I knew who it was and I ran faster, now in terror more than haste.

It was the witch of Siddow. She was sounding the alarm. With her one remaining arm, the woman started clanging her bell and calling for aid. In the distance, I heard the cacophony of a horde that made my blood curdle and my legs weaken.

I turned off from the path away from the village and toward the cliffs, and my only hope.

Make sure you check out Naptime Tragedy over at Valkyrie's Promptings from Valhalla. Again, we use the same prompts and generate seriously different vignettes this time.
Copyright © 2019 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Makes you wonder who owned the content in the box first. Who appropriated it from its original owner? How many hands has it passed through? Who does it really belong to?
;–)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
15 hours ago, dughlas said:

You keep leaving me wanting more ... I suppose that's a good thing on your part.

I agree with dugh. This was filled with tension, and just when I thought it was lessening, you ramped it up again. This would make a great story too, if you decided to continue. Well done, Cole! Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 8/13/2019 at 9:15 PM, droughtquake said:

Makes you wonder who owned the content of the box first. Who appropriated it from its original owner? How many hands has it passed through? Who does it really belong to?
;–)

Good questions.  Also, why did the burglar believe it was owed to him?  I love the myriad of ideas a vignette like this contains.  There is so much to consider.

Thanks for the insightful questions and the support.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 8/14/2019 at 6:38 AM, dughlas said:

You keep leaving me wanting more ... I suppose that's a good thing on your part.

Thanks so much. I wasn't sure where to go with these prompts. I wanted to try something very descriptive that would engage my inner mind's eye.  I saw a thief in the night so clearly and so I covered his path in and out of the hut.  I also saw the fury and anger at the witch discovering the theft.  

Thanks for the support and the kind words!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Headstall said:

I agree with dugh. This was filled with tension, and just when I thought it was lessening, you ramped it up again. This would make a great story too, if you decided to continue. Well done, Cole! Cheers... Gary....

Thank you so much!  As I said to Dugh, I wanted to build a scene with intricate steps and description and create a tense scene.  I like it and we'll see what happens with it.  

I so appreciate your support and comments!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well, you've got me rioting for him to reach the cliffs! That witch sounds terrifying and I'd rather not think too much about that horde... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What is in that box? And how fast can the narrator run? I'm hearing stark atonal music shrieking in my head as I read this...

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Puppilull said:

Well, you've got me rioting for him to reach the cliffs! That witch sounds terrifying and I'd rather not think too much about that horde... 

Yes, let's hope he makes it because I don't think the horde is one of pussycats or lapping puppies.  I think the witch means to do him some serious harm.  Thanks for the comment and for supporting this exercise.  

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

What is in that box? And how fast can the narrator run? I'm hearing stark atonal music shrieking in my head as I read this...

I think something the witch wants back like an appendage of hers.  I heard the same music play as I wrote it.  It sounded like Wagner and very scary!

Thanks for the comment!  I appreciate it.  

Link to comment
On 8/18/2019 at 11:43 AM, aditus said:

I hope he has a broom at the ready... Now I can start breathing again. Whew!

 

Thanks Addy!  I'm glad it made you hold your breath.  I wanted to write something that made your pulse race.  

Awesome!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Cole Matthews said:

I wanted to write something that made your pulse race.  

Mission accomplished.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..