Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shuffle off to Buffalo - 1. Prompt 1 - The Scarab's Eye

Prompt for a picture of a tree, a clock, a fish, a bridge, a tepee, a beetle, and a lock and start with "Once upon a time..."

The Scarab’s Eye

Once upon a time in a town named Arborville, there was a young man who was bored with life. He wanted to DO something, and didn’t know what that may be. Most everyone he knew was happy with the ordinary things in life, punching a time clock at a job they didn’t care about. Dating strangers over an app that only introduced, but didn’t connect them to one another. Stefan wanted so much more.

He wanted an adventure.

His best friend, Alphonse, felt the same way. Alphonse was a high school buddy, and he too wanted more out of life. Both boys had talked finding their place in the world, and this became something of an obsession with them.

Alphonse once said to Stefan, “I’m sick of being a big fish in this mudhole,” and then he sighed, “I’d rather be an extraordinary little fish in the ocean.”

Stefan wasn’t sure about that. However, he knew that across the river, over the bridge, there lie an entire world that would change his life.

So, he agreed with Alphonse that they needed an adventure. What could this adventure be? Then one day he was reading an article about a local legend and it gave him an idea.

Stefan went to the local library and looked for stories about northwestern Florida historical tale. He researched and found an old newspaper article about it. Then, he read another story which had uncovered another interesting bit of detail about this local lore.

The two men packed up a few things, including hiking gear, tents, and left Arborville in Stefan’s beat-up old truck off to a park on the other side of Florida, near Pensacola. It was called Charlottestown National Preserve with many lakes and swamps, and something quite remarkable.

This park had a legend and a mystery. According to the old wives’ tales, there was a rock outcropping called, Scarab’s Eye, and this was supposed to lead to a treasure. Pirates or privateers had hidden some Spanish plunder in the area and the ‘hole in the rock’ that was the Scarab’s Eye was supposed to hold the key.

Alphonse, who thought they were just going hiking, became visibly more animated as they pulled into the camping area. He jumped out of the jeep, hurriedly pulled out the cooler and the small charcoal grill, and began pulling out a big canvas bag. As they erected the old tepee-style tent, he said to Stefan, “I think this is going to be something.”

Stefan smiled at his friend, brushed back his long brown hair behind his ears and nodded. “I think you’re right.”

After finishing up the tent and collecting some wood for a fire later, the two young men pulled on their hiking boots, shouldered backpacks with bottled water and protein bars, and headed onto a path. The sign pointed north and promised it was the route to the glorious Scarab’s Eye rock formation. It promised a ‘spectacular view of the sunset’.

The trail was soggy in places, and sometimes they had to trudge through muck, leaving behind boot marks that filled with stank water. The swamp reeked of sulfur, the fetid stench of rotting eggs and methane gases. The day was hot and sticky. Mosquitoes nipped and fed on their blood as sweat streamed down their faces and onto their shoulders.

Alphonse motioned for his friend to pause before a puddle that lay across the path. Both men drank deeply of their bottles of tepid water. Stefan grabbed a handkerchief from his backpack and tied it around his head, holding back his long brown hair. Alphonse brushed his short, sandy blond hair with a palm that came back damp with his own sweat.

“How much farther?” Alphonse questioned, wrinkling his nose at the sound of squawking birds overhead.

“I think we’re almost there,” Stefan said, checking the GPS on his phone. “It shows only about half a mile yet.

“I’m going to sit,” Alphonse grumbled, pointing to a rotting log alongside the trail. “Maybe we should plan what we’re going to do when we get there.”

“Gotcha,” Stefan said and nodded toward the log. “I picked this particular place for a reason.”

The two young men sat down and began to talk.

***

We are jump starting the engines of creativity with prompts this week. Hope you enjoy!
Copyright © 2019 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting beginning, Cole. You have once again piqued my interest. I hope you are enjoying your 'writing' vacation. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

That hike would be a nightmare for me. Just the fact of a hike is bad enough. But the heat, humidity, and the mosquitoes only intensify the horror!

Heat, humidity, and mosquitoes are annual events. Hurricanes are a common disaster – even if you aren’t directly under the storm, there is that torrent of rain and wind. Earthquakes are uncommon, occurring once every several decades (at most and on different faultlines). Wildfires are more dangerous in certain areas. My choices are logical and rational.
;–)

Link to comment
13 hours ago, Headstall said:

Interesting beginning, Cole. You have once again piqued my interest. I hope you are enjoying your 'writing' vacation. Cheers... Gary....

I haven't written anything for a while.  I'm stretching my wings and awakening my muse, hopefully.  As I delved into these characters, I found the situation become more interesting.  This is definitely the beginnings of something.  We'll see what.

Thanks so much Gary!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Geron Kees said:

Hmm. Where is this going?  I have to see!

This is the beginning of a new story, I think.  I'll be doing other prompts this week which don't follow this thread.  

Thanks for the encouragement!  I'm having a lot of fun.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, aditus said:

You have me.*taps foot impatiently*

Hi Addy!!!  Hope you're doing well.  We are having a lot of fun.  Today is day two of the prompts.  It will be something different, but I think I'm getting my mojo back.  

Thanks for the encouragement.  It's much appreciated!!

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, droughtquake said:

That hike would be a nightmare for me. Just the fact of a hike is bad enough. But the heat, humidity, and the mosquitoes only intensify the horror!

Heat, humidity, and mosquitoes are annual events. Hurricanes are a common disaster – even if you aren’t directly under the storm, there is that torrent of rain and wind. Earthquakes are uncommon, occurring once every several decades (at most and on different faultlines). Wildfires are more dangerous in certain areas. My choices are logical and rational.
;–)

It would be a nightmare for me as well.  I'm not terribly adventurous in places like swamps and woods, however, I did follow a guy I liked into the bug-infested wilderness once, for the obvious benefits.  There are lots of reasons to engage in uncomfortable forays. :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Cole Matthews said:

There are lots of reasons to engage in uncomfortable forays. :)

Not if you’re Risk Averse like me!
;–)

Link to comment
11 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Not if you’re Risk Averse like me!
;–)

I think you're being too coy! We all have our little indulgences.  :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, dughlas said:

More, more ... uhm, please.

There will be.  Thanks for commenting and encouraging!  We are having a great time and I think this will become part of something bigger.

:)

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Cole Matthews said:

I think you're being too coy! We all have our little indulgences.  :)

Yes, but none of mine are risky!
;–)

Link to comment
9 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Yes, but none of mine are risky!
;–)

Come on, getting out of bed in morning is risky 😃

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Come on, getting out of bed in morning is risky 😃

You think I get out of bed in the morning? Have you looked at when I post most of my Comments? My depression keeps me awake very late and I sleep in even later!
;–)

Link to comment

I sure hope you won't leave us hanging like that! I want to know what they'll find at the Scarab's eye.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Puppilull said:

I sure hope you won't leave us hanging like that! I want to know what they'll find at the Scarab's eye.

Yes, but for this week, we're just exercising our creative urges a bit.  Thanks for the encouragement!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

This is a great beginning and I'm definitely hooked, like my alien fish.  :P  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

This is a great beginning and I'm definitely hooked, like my alien fish.  :P  

I'm hooked on your fish as well!  Hahaha!!!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..