Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

So Weeps the Willow - 6. Sobriety Day 5

Counter - 6

Jake has a problem, and his ex-boyfriend, Eddie, helps out.

Day 5

This blog is turning into a recording of my sobriety experiment, and nothing else. I think you’ve become my sounding board, my anchor to reality, my trail of breadcrumbs through the forest. I know nobody is reading this. The counter hasn’t moved since last night. So, I can be perfectly honest. Yet, I feel so numb now.

Today was the worst day of my life. Without a doubt. I woke up and felt a little nauseated. I made coffee, drank some juice, and then it began. It started with my heart pounding, my breath became labored, and my skin was crawling off my body. I felt like the whole world was spinning out of control, away from me. I couldn’t keep my balance. I staggered to my cell phone and called Eddie. It was a reflective action. I could have called my mom, my dad, even Nats, but I called my ex. He came over and took me to the emergency room.

When he was holding my hand, I felt a little better. At the hospital, we sat and waited for me to get called. It felt like a forever until they announced I was next. Eddie assured me it had only been sixteen minutes. I was sweating. My hands were clammy and sticky. A nurse beckoned to me, drawing me to the exam area. I stood and felt my legs and skin quiver as I walked toward her.

I looked back as they showed me the way to the back. Eddie was watching me, a sad smile on his face. His handsome, olive-complexion shining in the bright lights, his black, curly hair glowing. His eyes were following me. I felt like I could see his love for me. It’s not love like we had. This is love as a friend, a brother, not a lover. His real love, as a boyfriend, was gone. I’d killed that long ago, stomped it out, and ground the embers of our affection into dust. Regardless, there was care and concern in his face. I felt the ground firmly beneath my feet, at last, and I could breathe easier. Eddie saved me in that moment.

I’ll try to replicate the scene as best I can. A nurse, a rather rotund woman, somewhat ageless, dressed in brown scrubs with a red beaded necklace, took my vitals. She barely talked to me except for the curt instructions and the fake smile as she took my temperature. I could imagine how a car felt when getting serviced at an oil change place. She just stuck things in, weighed me, measured me, and grunted a few times at the numbers. I was glad when she left and the door opened admitting another person. Her badge said, Dr. Hampstead.

The doctor was a tired looking middle-aged woman, probably in her late forties, early fifties, with a long black skirt, a gray blouse under a white lab coat. She had a few instruments poking out of her pockets, gadgets I couldn’t identify. I hoped she didn’t need to use them on me.

“Mr. Ogden, you are experiencing some heart issues and feeling under the weather?” she asked, thumbing a tablet computer. “Has this happened before?”

“No.” I swallowed hard, steeling myself for the worst. “I think I’m having the DT’s. I quit drinking cold turkey four, no five days ago and I think it’s catching up on me.”

The doctor pursed her generously full lips and squinted at the tablet. She looked up, confused. “DT’s?”

“Yeah, delirium tremens,” I answered quickly, surprised the doctor didn’t know about such things. She was a doctor in an emergency room at a hospital. Surely, she’d seen serious cases of detoxication from drugs or alcohol before. How did I end up with the only doctor anywhere who had never heard of the DT’s?”

“What makes you think you’re experiencing serious chemical withdrawal symptoms?” she asked, an eyebrow arching.

I sighed, exasperated. “I told you. I quit drinking this past weekend and now I’m having a heart attack and maybe even an episode of shock.” It was then I realized how foolish I appeared. I was calmly sitting in the exam room talking rationally about a near death experience, which was probably not really happening at all. The sense of complete humiliation had started about then. I felt ashamed, but then the doctor made it a little better

She reacted in a way that helped. Dr. Hampstead simply smiled at me nicely, sincerely, and I felt a little better. She began.

“First of all, you’re not having a heart attack or even serious issues. Your vitals are elevated, but within normal parameters. Your intake form mentions some dizziness and shortness of breath. I think you had a panic attack, and this may be the residual effects. I’m not seeing any signs of withdrawal. Have you had any vomiting, anxiety, or seizures before today?”

“No, well, maybe some anxiety and this feeling that something’s wrong. Actually, I haven’t felt anything physically for a couple of days except a little headache. There are severe muscle aches in my back and legs.”

The doctor seemed to thumb to something else on the tablet. “I’m going to draw some blood and do a few tests to make sure nothing going on. However, your blood pressure is relatively normal, maybe a little elevated. Your heart rate is within the average range for your age. You seem to be breathing fine now. Since you’ve stopped drinking, your symptoms sound like they’re rather mild. You’re lucky. But, we’ll make sure there’s nothing else going on.”

She gave me a reassuring smile, a real one, that came deep from within. That’s when I felt like an idiot. I’d called Eddie, freaking out, acting like the last gay drama queen from a Logo TV show, about practically nothing. Now I had to face him. Sure, it was good I wasn’t experiencing severe withdrawal and having heart issues, but what if my ex thought this was something else entirely?

What if Eddie thought I was trying to gain his sympathy? What if he saw this as a ruse on my part to get him to take care of me? I was mortified at the thought, and my breathing became labored again. I took a couple of deep ones, calming myself, closing my eyes, breathing out slowly.

I wouldn’t panic, not again.

After they took blood and told me the preliminary findings were normal, they discharged me and I emerged into the waiting room. Eddie was curled on the chair, a copy of Men’s Fitness magazine draped over his crossed leg. He was dozing, but awoke as I neared.

“Everything okay?” he asked, uncrossing his leg and with it the magazine flopped onto the tile floor.

“False alarm. I’m fine. I had a little panic attack, freaked myself out, and imagined something worse than it was. Sorry about that.”

Eddie rubbed his eyes and said, “No worries. I’m glad you’re okay. We’ve been concerned a little. You’ve been kind of out of control. Not to make you feel bad, but what’s up? You seem so lost.”

“Really?” I answered. Yet, I knew he was right. Something was out of control. But, I was starting to find my way. It was beginning to feel like I wasn’t spinning wildly toward a brick wall or a concrete pillar. There was a gap in the walls I’d erected around me. My drinking had hemmed me in. Stopping had given me an opening to find my way towards something. I hoped that something was happiness.

Eddie was very kind to me, and I really didn’t deserve it. Not after what I’d done to him.

What do you think of Jake's ex? He's a pretty good guy, though I'm sure there's more to their breakup than Jake's admitting.
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 43
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I experienced a panic attack (a few of them) not that long ago. It's devastating. I understand why he called Eddie. And Eddie showing up like he did lets us see a little more of Jake. He is cared for. Maybe he's been messed up, but he can still count on an ex who worries about him. Not so bad. I loved the glimmer of positivity at the end... I was ready for it. Great entry, Cole... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Quote

We’ve been concerned a little.  You’ve been kind of out of control.

I thought the ‘we’ was significant. Who are the ‘we’? Are there other friends of Jake who are concerned about him that we haven’t met yet? I think his support network is larger than he seems to think. After all, there are 9 of us who liked or loved this chapter so far!  ;-)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
51 minutes ago, JeffreyL said:

Panic attacks can be scary. Sometimes it becomes cyclical: panic attack = elevated blood pressure/stress = more panic=more symptoms.

I dated a guy who used to get panic attacks (heights and bridges were triggers). When he would have an attack, he’d want to go to a hospital emergency room. They wouldn’t be able to do anything for him since he was already on medication, but just being there did calm him down somewhat. All I could do was just be there with him.

 

He’s the only person that I know of who checked himself into a mental health facility. I went to see him while he was there, but he was in a session at the time. The staff must have seen how out of my league I was, so they patiently gave me a tour of the public area and his (shared) room. He and I had the biggest age gap of any of the men I ever dated and he had too little life experience and too much immaturity – the mental health issues didn’t help. We didn’t last very long.

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment

Well it looks like Jake has more people who care for him than he might have thought. The fact the Eddie said ‘they’ve’ been worried seems to indicate maybe the level of his drinking took a toll on the relationship and his friendships. Jake might not have realised it then, but he is seeing the light outside of his drinking. Eddie probably doesn’t love the person Jake was/is drinking, but he showed up for him so there’s that! (Maybe there’s more? Lol) 

 

I like that Jake looks at the blog counter, but doesn’t yet feel the need to be validated by it in order to continue, even when he thinks no one is reading. They probably are, and there’s maybe going to be that that one thing  to connect a reader and then boom.  

 

Nice chapter Cole.. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I thought the ‘we’ was significant. Who are the ‘we’? Are there other friends of Jake who are concerned about him that we haven’t met yet? I think his support network is larger than he seems to think. After all, there are 9 of us who liked or loved this chapter so far!  ;-)

I like the way you think drought... maybe because I was thinking along the same lines😏

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/3/2017 at 8:30 PM, Headstall said:

I experienced a panic attack (a few of them) not that long ago. It's devastating. I understand why he called Eddie. And Eddie showing up like he did lets us see a little more of Jake. He is cared for. Maybe he's been messed up, but he can still count on an ex who worries about him. Not so bad. I loved the glimmer of positivity at the end... I was ready for it. Great entry, Cole... cheers... Gary....

 

 

Thanks Gary!  Yeah, panic attacks are debilitating and it's good to have some support during a time like that.  Eddie still cares for Jake and vice versa.  You'll get to know him better.  Thanks for the insightful comments.  I appreciate it.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/3/2017 at 8:47 PM, droughtquake said:

I thought the ‘we’ was significant. Who are the ‘we’? Are there other friends of Jake who are concerned about him that we haven’t met yet? I think his support network is larger than he seems to think. After all, there are 9 of us who liked or loved this chapter so far!  ;-)

 

Jake has a circle of friends.  Many times after a breakup, the friends gravitate towards one of the couple, especially when one of them is a bit of a mess.  Jake has a support system, however, he hasn't been using it lately.  That will become even more apparent.  Thanks for some thoughtful remarks and insights.  :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/4/2017 at 1:46 AM, JeffreyL said:

Panic attacks can be scary. Sometimes it becomes cyclical: panic attack = elevated blood pressure/stress = more panic=more symptoms. Jake is lucky his ex is caring and concerned. I was also curious to know who is/are the "we" Eddie spoke of.

 

You are right on all accounts.  Panic attacks can build and they can even become a health issue.  In Jake's case, he's worried about his sobriety and a little about his sanity.  Yeah, there are friends and they will come into play along with more family.  Thanks for the awesome comments.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/4/2017 at 2:38 AM, droughtquake said:

I dated a guy who used to get panic attacks (heights and bridges were triggers). When he would have an attack, he’d want to go to a hospital emergency room. They wouldn’t be able to do anything for him since he was already on medication, but just being there did calm him down somewhat. All I could do was just be there with him.

 

 We didn’t last very long.

 

Health issues, mental and physical, are the second biggest reason couples part.  The first biggest reason is money.  So, the fact Eddie was Jake's go-to guy is telling.  

Thanks for your story.  These memories really inform understandings of events.

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/4/2017 at 4:51 PM, Defiance19 said:

Well it looks like Jake has more people who care for him than he might have thought. The fact the Eddie said ‘they’ve’ been worried seems to indicate maybe the level of his drinking took a toll on the relationship and his friendships. Jake might not have realised it then, but he is seeing the light outside of his drinking. Eddie probably doesn’t love the person Jake was/is drinking, but he showed up for him so there’s that! (Maybe there’s more? Lol) 

 

I like that Jake looks at the blog counter, but doesn’t yet feel the need to be validated by it in order to continue, even when he thinks no one is reading. They probably are, and there’s maybe going to be that that one thing  to connect a reader and then boom.  

 

Nice chapter Cole.. 

 

When people are having issues, they often feel alone.  In fact, Jake's drinking was so bad, his world had shrank and now it's beginning to open up again.  Your observations are spot-on.  Thanks for the wonderful comments.  

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Eddie sees beyond the drunk, like my Husband sees beyond my depression.  He can see me.   Eddie sees his friend? ex-lover?   The drunk only sees his next drink, he's lucky if others see him.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..