Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

So Weeps the Willow - 3. Sobriety - Day 2

The sway of alcohol over mankind is unquestionably due to its power to stimulate the mystical faculties of human nature, usually crushed to earth by the cold facts and dry criticisms of the sober hour.
-William James-

Sobriety - Day 2

 

I’m feeling a little better. Things don’t seem as dire right now. I can breathe again. I read my writing from earlier, and it seems a bit, well, dramatic, but now I’m better. I think. I was over-reacting. I hope.

Yesterday, I was exhausted when I went to work, still, the evening seemed to fly by. My friend Nats was working with me, and she kept me in stitches the whole night. Most of my tables were relatively low maintenance except one old queen who kept sending back his fish as ‘too dry and bland’. I thought maybe some spit would season it up and moisten it for him. (Just kidding! We only do that to people who don’t tip! Not really. :))

I was pretty tired by break time, and Nats really helped me find my second wind. Maybe I should tell you about her. She’s a hoot, but even more, she’s my partner in crime. I think she’s pretty special.

Natalie, Nats, started the same month as I did at Fisherman’s Wake. She’s rather tall, 5’10”, about my height, and thin as a rail. She’s a free spirit, an artist at heart, with jet black hair that features bright pink streaks. Nats has a few piercings, one nostril, her lip, her tongue, and several earrings. Her eyes are a bright, glistening gold, and her smile is rather sardonic. Like I said, she’s a spitfire.

Nats is a potter, you know, like with clay, making bowls and shit. She works part time out of a studio near the local university. Her work has been shown in several places and instead of it being that weird, modernistic, blobby stuff, her pots are rather delicate and intricate. Her taste isn’t fussy and prissy though, and there is real care and detail in her work. Trust me, it shows.

When we have time off, she’s not like me. Nats goes to her studio and drinks pots of espresso and works for hours. I know because I’ve visited her from time to time. I try to get her to loosen up.

Not that she isn’t a wild child. After work, she can tip back as often and steady as I can. The girl can drink. I know she likes a little weed and isn’t against a few party favors either. Nats isn’t the kind of person who has baggage. She’s real.

The other thing is, she doesn’t have hang-ups about sex like most people. If there’s a person she likes, male, female, or well, it doesn’t matter, she’ll latch onto them and consume them, heart and soul. Nats has sex as easily, and prolifically, as she drinks on our benders.

Here’s what intrigues me about her. Even if it’s a casual pickup, it means something to her. She’s not shallow like me. They aren’t just bodies to enjoy and get off to. She devours their stories.

I see it, because I don’t feel it, not like I think she does. For me, sex isn’t a big deal. Sex is a release, a way to feel good. For her, it is something more meaningful, I think. For Nats, it seems to affect her, which is bizarre to me. Nats gets something more out of it.

Let me explain this one event. It stands out, and kinda explain her ‘vibe’.

Nats picked up this really hot chick, a sorority type in a tight sweater and form-fitting jeans. This was the ultimate Barbie girl, fake blonde hair, lip gloss with glitter, eye makeup for days. This girl was a horny straight guy’s dream. Nats and I were at the bar, doing a couple of Southern Comfort shots – it was winter – and she noticed this girl. What was her name? It was Gabby or Gibby or…her name was Ginny. That’s right. I was surprised when Nats pointed her out to me. I thought that chick is frat bait. It was obvious she was an empty vessel.

But that’s not what Nats saw. Somehow that girl can see inside a person and read their story, or at least she could read the prologue or the jacket cover or inside sleeve. Nats knew Ginny had something interesting about her.

Nats wandered over and stood next to the blonde girl. She was gabbing with her clone friends, until suddenly she stopped. Ginny paused and lifted a finger as if telling her friend to stop for a moment. The other girls just laughed and kept drinking and pointing at some guys down the bar who seemed to enjoy the attention. The frat bait started talking with Nats, like, out of the blue. It was crazy.

Watching Nats talk with the stranger was a revelation. Watching from afar was a trip. The girl seemed to respond without effort to Nats questions and even asked a few of her own. After a few moments, Nats dragged the other girl out onto the dance floor. It was a happening night club, so no one could really tell who was dancing with whom, but it was obvious to me: Ginny only had eyes for Nats. The more attention my friend returned, the more blondie lit up and seemed to glow beneath the flashing, colored lights of the pit.

After a short time, I was cruising a tasty piece of dirty blond of my own, a guy I’d seen before with grease coloring his fingernails and oil lining the swirls of his fingerprints. It was really hot, bagging a blue collared boy like that. He looked hungry and his eyes would seek out mine and then dart away when I smiled. I sent him a Miller Lite, and he lifted it to salute me when I felt a hand touch my arm.

I nodded and turned around to see Nats and blondie standing there. Nats introduced Ginny to me, and Ginny had it bad. She was grinning like a kid at her seventh birthday party finding out her present was a new bike, with rainbow streamers and a bell. Frat bait was enamored with my friend.

Nats was looking happy, truly happy, like when she finished one of her pieces of pottery. That was when she was truly serene, when she was done with a piece of art. It was only for a day, but her face seemed to ease into radiant contentment. The next day, her somewhat sour look, laced with cynicism would return. But, her look of accomplishment, that’s what it was, and it was so attractive.

When Nats looked pleased with herself, there was a sexuality about her at that moment, so poignant, even I felt it. I’m as gay as a goose who escaped a Christmas beheading, but I could feel her magnetism. Nats was exuding it then, and Ginny was clutching her arm, beaming, and bouncing to the beat. Whatever it was Nats had seen in her, it was something special because nothing ordinary made Nats this happy.

Nats whispered a good bye to me. My mechanic friend had disappeared for the evening, no doubt hightailing away in a rusty, beat-up Dakota pickup with dented bumpers and a rusty trailer hitch. I found it didn’t really matter much. I had a few more, well, quite a few more, and finally headed home after last call. I fell asleep (passed out) thinking how Nats could really reel them in.

 

There’s more to Nats story about Ginny, but I need to get to the gym. No rest for the wicked and I’m hoping if I wear myself out, sleep will be a little sounder tonight. Perhaps it will quell the harsh dreams.

Blog Counter - 5
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 51
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well that was an interesting scene. What a contrast between not only the two blonds (Barbie and the mechanic), but also the outcomes of the interactions. Kind of a yin and yang…  ;-)

Link to comment

Character with a capital C was an apt description for Hats! Was it better Jake didn't hook up with his blue collar fella? Maybe less chance  of excess booze.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

It's intriguing that he can see it(the depth a sexual connection can have) but doesn't feel it. I don't know enough about Jake yet, but I've learned more through his account of Nat. He appears to be enamored of what she can do... interesting that he went to sleep thinking of how Nat could *really* reel them in. It says something important, I think, and maybe plays a part in the explanation for his indulgence/dance with alcohol. He cared more about booze and Nat's hookup than he did about that blue collar guy. Did I feel a hint of wistfulness for what he doesn't feel?  I'm enjoying this, Cole. Well done... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hey @Cole Matthews! I’m really hoping the ‘three parts’ in the subtitle doesn’t refer to these three chapters because this story feels very incomplete!  ;-)

 

I hate the stereotypical French films where the writer was too lazy to write the final scene, the director never got around to filming the ending, or the projectionist forgot to show the penultimate reel! I do not need a Hollywood ending, I just need a conclusion of some sort! If I wanted to write the movie ending, I would have saved myself the cash and just stayed at home to fantasize on my own!  ;-)

Link to comment

Jake comes across in awe of Nats' ability. Quite a bit jealous too. Watching someone connect while he can't. He doesn't miss it, but he is definitely curious about actually seeing the one you're with. Not just getting off on them. Still waiting for him to crash though...  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Hey @Cole Matthews! I’m really hoping the ‘three parts’ in the subtitle doesn’t refer to these three chapters because this story feels very incomplete!  ;-)

 

I hate the stereotypical French films where the writer was too lazy to write the final scene, the director never got around to filming the ending, or the projectionist forgot to show the penultimate reel! I do not need a Hollywood ending, I just need a conclusion of some sort! If I wanted to write the movie ending, I would have saved myself the cash and just stayed at home to fantasize on my own!  ;-)

 

I'm not fond of French films like that either.  We are still at the beginning of the first part.  Lots more to come.  

 

On 9/12/2017 at 10:56 PM, droughtquake said:

Well that was an interesting scene. What a contrast between not only the two blonds (Barbie and the mechanic), but also the outcomes of the interactions. Kind of a yin and yang…  ;-)

 

I like that you saw that.  I wanted to give the impression without being too obvious.  Thanks for the lovely comments!!!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/12/2017 at 11:46 PM, JeffreyL said:

Character with a capital C was an apt description for Hats! Was it better Jake didn't hook up with his blue collar fella? Maybe less chance  of excess booze.

 

Lots more of Nats to come.  Jake probably would have been better off with a date than another drink, but he's trying to do that now, so we'll see.  

I appreciate the comments!! :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/13/2017 at 1:32 AM, Headstall said:

It's intriguing that he can see it(the depth a sexual connection can have) but doesn't feel it. I don't know enough about Jake yet, but I've learned more through his account of Nat. He appears to be enamored of what she can do... interesting that he went to sleep thinking of how Nat could *really* reel them in. It says something important, I think, and maybe plays a part in the explanation for his indulgence/dance with alcohol. He cared more about booze and Nat's hookup than he did about that blue collar guy. Did I feel a hint of wistfulness for what he doesn't feel?  I'm enjoying this, Cole. Well done... cheers... Gary....

 

I think in a way, Jake is 'in love' with Nats, in a completely fraternal way, but with a hint of attraction as well.  I am a gay man who still finds some women quite attractive, yet I know it's only physical and nothing more could come of it.  I believe Jake feels quite strongly.  I'm glad that's coming through.  Thanks for the insightful comments!! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/13/2017 at 9:40 AM, Parker Owens said:

How engaging this is. I am immersed in Jake's life, in his descriptions. Let's hope he stays on the wagon. Thank you for the thorough description of the scene, and a deep look into Nats. But the description - "she consumes them heart and soul" is more than a bit scary, at least for the people she fancies. It makes me wonder what happened to Ginny. On the other hand, I have little interest in Jake's partners. Yet I still wonder if just one of them ever attached more meaning to their sex than Jake did. 

 

It's interesting you find Jake's description of her a little scary.  Nats has charisma, that's for sure.  You'll find out more about her coming up.  I'm glad you're engaged and enjoying it.  Thanks for the wonderful comments. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

Jake comes across in awe of Nats' ability. Quite a bit jealous too. Watching someone connect while he can't. He doesn't miss it, but he is definitely curious about actually seeing the one you're with. Not just getting off on them. Still waiting for him to crash though...  

 

Not connecting is certainly one of Jake's issues.  If you know my writing, you'll know something will obviously have to give. ;)  I'm a bit of a stinker like that.  I like my characters to work hard for their money!!!  Thanks for the intriguing comments.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

You can write, my friend, really write. 

 

How brilliantly you show us a growing awareness that there is more to sex than just sex (to paraphrase someone else). You have Jake witness and relay something he really did not understand at the time it happened, and this situation has happened to me many times in my life - looking back on it at a critical moment, another's actions fall into place and 'teaches' me the lesson inherent but dormant the whole time. That's what I get from Jake talking about Nats as he does here. 

 

The best installment so far. Great depth is building in your tale. Well done. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Is Nats the guy Jake always wanted to be?  He seems both jealous and in awe of her connection within her world, to herself, yet he looks at himself superficially.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 9/16/2017 at 8:36 PM, AC Benus said:

You can write, my friend, really write. 

 

How brilliantly you show us a growing awareness that there is more to sex than just sex (to paraphrase someone else). You have Jake witness and relay something he really did not understand at the time it happened, and this situation has happened to me many times in my life - looking back on it at a critical moment, another's actions fall into place and 'teaches' me the lesson inherent but dormant the whole time. That's what I get from Jake talking about Nats as he does here. 

 

The best installment so far. Great depth is building in your tale. Well done. 

 

Thanks Al for the wonderful praise.  This is the first section.  We are getting to know the main character through his own words and insights.  There are other things happening as well.  I'm glad you're enjoying it.  I'm having lots of fun with it.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/23/2017 at 6:40 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Is Nats the guy Jake always wanted to be?  He seems both jealous and in awe of her connection within her world, to herself, yet he looks at himself superficially.  

 

Your take on Jake's relationship with Nats is interesting.  Someday, I'll talk more about it, but your mention is quite enlightening to me.  Jake is about as gay as can be, but does he have feelings for Nats that aren't exactly platonic?  Perhaps, there might be.  Too early to tell.

 

Great comments.  Thanks!!!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I like the description of of Nat's pottery, I'm so sick of heavy shapeless crap. and admire your slightly sardonic humour that lightens the story without making it lightweight.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..