Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

So Weeps the Willow - 2. Sobriety - Day 1

"Whether you have one day or one thousand days, you are an inspiration."

Sobriety - Day 1

 

Last night was a disaster. I thought this non-drinking would be a change, a challenge that I could meet without a problem. Boy, I was wrong, seriously, and plainly, screwed.

I couldn’t fucking sleep. (Yes, I know I’m swearing a lot. What with my vicious hangover and about two hours of sleep last night, my patience has worn thin, so FUCK YOU!!!). Sorry, but sometimes I get so pissed about things, and then I kind of ‘wake up’ a bit. Anyway, last night was a terrible.

Sorry. I guess.

First of all, the night dragged by so slowly. I had made plans with some friends to meet at a downtown bar for dancing and maybe, a nice, friendly hookup. Realizing that was a mistake, I canceled. They didn’t seem too concerned about my absence and that started the ball rolling.

My mind was racing, searching for a reason why Eddie, Steve, and Tim were so blasé about me not going. Was Tim still pissed I snatched that little twink out from under him? Did Steve still harbor annoyance at my beating his ass at pool two weeks ago? (I won two hundred dollars off the loser! So there, shithead). Were Eddie’s feelings for me still too raw after the breakup? Naw. We ended things quite a while ago. Nothing seemed to bother him these past few months. I guess I should get beyond that madness. Could it have been something with Steve? Or Evan, who they now got to go out with them?

I then started imagining other reasons they seemed to act like they didn’t care, or worse, didn’t want me along. Tim was always whining about how he couldn’t find a ‘date’ (they’re hookups, sweetheart. When you find them in a bar, bring them home and never get their name or number, they’re not dates). Perhaps someone can’t stand a little competition.

Eddie talked to other guys in front of me, but not all the time. He never seemed to do so if I was by myself. He was by my side whenever I wasn’t ‘on the hunt’. He never approached a hot dude when I was sitting at the table. It was when I was otherwise occupied that he pursued other men. I just realized, this was strange, wasn’t it? Was Eddie still caught up with me? He knew about the whole Steve thing, but I don’t know. What is up with my friends?

Tim and I competed. It’s what we did. Both of us would see a nice, innocent-looking, frat boy or even sometimes club kids and would go after the same one. I always got my man, er, male at least. Tim was a hot guy with a good job, much better than mine, and he had money. However, I think deep down, Tim’s priorities were screwed up. He was looking for something…more. I knew I wasn’t going to tie myself down with the kinds of trash we were picking up. When you’re trolling the gutter, you don’t find many diamond rings or silk purses. Mostly you find used condoms and pigs, if you get my drift.

Steve is, well, Steve, and that’s an entirely different kettle of fish.

Eddie. He’s special, but we weren’t good together. It ended a while ago and I hope he’s getting over it. Sometimes I know he watches me, kind of in a stalkerish way, but also, it’s sweet. Eddie is the guy I thought was maybe the one. Maybe not. Regardless, it doesn’t matter. These guys weren’t the problem.

I didn’t go out with them anyway, so I don’t know why I’m bitching about them. I stayed home, and I was good.

To make a long, boring night, shorter, I ended up watching a bunch of porn on my computer and drank diet ginger ale. I never did get to the movies I picked up at the video machine outside the grocery store. They were both dumb comedies about thirty-year-old losers, kind of like me, trying to find love and failing miserably, until the end.

I fell asleep on the couch for about twenty minutes. When I awoke, it was around midnight, still early for me, but I was sleepy, so I went to bed.

Bad mistake.

I hadn’t closed my eyes more than a minute when I started feeling jittery. My leg kept twitching like it needed to move. My heart raced a little. I felt sweaty and a little anxious. I don’t know about what; I just felt uneasy, like anticipation with a sense of dread looming in the distance.

I tossed and turned. It was a cool night, but I continued to sweat. I was thirsty, so I got up and drank a couple of glasses of water. That didn’t help. My mouth was still dry, so I drank another, which made my fucking stomach cramp. I began to worry a bit, so I plopped onto my couch. I turned my tablet on and started surfing. I was looking for my symptoms on WebMD when I came upon something that made my blood run cold and my sweating stop.

There on the screen was a diagnosis for my ailment. I had malaria. That was the only possibility outside, well, at least three dozen other ones. I tried to remember any bug bites I’d had recently, but outside of a bonfire party a month ago, I couldn’t think of any time I’d been in nature or even seen a bug, let alone a malarial mosquito.

As I perused the list, I checked off the possibilities. I didn’t have dengue fever. I wasn’t having hot flashes, though Nats would definitely accuse me of being ‘on the rag’ from time to time. (One thing about men, they weren’t as judgmental as women. Just saying…)

Okay, I’m obviously joking.

There were so many things it could be, and yet my eye kept going back to the same one. It was the same one I knew it couldn’t be, yet it must be.

The entry for alcohol withdrawal sounded suspiciously right. Since I wasn’t a menopausal woman, and I hadn’t been digging canals through any swamps, it had to be that. I quit drinking today, tonight, and now I was having the symptoms.

I spent the rest of the night searching for signs and problems of chemical dependency, withdrawal, the kinds of issues which occurred when a person quit drinking. The entire time, I got a dull, aching headache, acid reflux, and a growing sense this was not good. It was not good to read about how people died of the delirium tremens, which are not the shakes after a night of drinking. They are some serious shit. People died of these reactions. It made me sober up, which I didn’t need right now. I’d forgotten this stuff. I knew it, but not related to me, you know?

Recovery association, after-counseling sites, group therapy and self-help organizations; they all said the same thing. If you’re a heavy drinker and try to quit cold turkey, you could die. I read these things all night until my eyes drooped. I laid down and tried to sleep and sirens wailed and blue and red lights flashed waking me, from a goddamned dream.

I got back up. Like an idiot, I continued reading these symptoms and problems. I freaked as I read more about how this could kill me.

Finally, at about six in the morning, I fell into a fitful sleep on the couch. I woke up this morning exhausted, feeling leaden and drained, and about ready to take a drink just to get some sleep, when a thought occurred to me.

If I am this bad now, what if I keep drinking? It’s not going to get better. It will only be worse.

Those thoughts were bad. In the end, it took me quite some time to settle back into sleep. The words and photos of the website danced in my head, like some satanic Christmas story. I never did fall asleep completely, and so I got up. I went for a walk. I ate, blearily watched bad television, and finally my mind calmed.

I napped this afternoon, right before writing this and I feel a little better. I’m going to work now, a little red-eyed and foggy, but determined to make it through tonight sober.

Can you imagine if I can’t make it two days without booze? The thought scares me.

Next up, we meet Nats, his best friend and coworker.    Also, if you have comments or want to discuss the issues raised by the story, a forum thread can be found here.
 
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 57
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Alcoholics willingly endure astonishingly great discomfort and inconvenience to get drunk and delude themselves into thinking their problem isn’t a big deal. It doesn’t surprise me that the withdrawal symptoms are so serious. The legality of alcohol tricks people into thinking it’s not as addictive or dangerous as it truly is.

Link to comment
On 9/5/2017 at 8:00 PM, droughtquake said:

Alcoholics willingly endure astonishingly great discomfort and inconvenience to get drunk and delude themselves into thinking their problem isn’t a big deal. It doesn’t surprise me that the withdrawal symptoms are so serious. The legality of alcohol tricks people into thinking it’s not as addictive or dangerous as it truly is.

 

Very true!  Add to that the physiological changes to brain chemistry, and you have a very toxic mix.  Jake kind of realizes he's fallen down a rabbit hole, but he's only experiencing the 'waking up' part of it at this point.  Thanks for the insightful comments. :)

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/5/2017 at 9:12 PM, Headstall said:

Great chapter, Cole. To be honest, I found him, Jake, a little unpleasant, which I'm sure you intended. When he reads this back he'll be able to see how empty his life has been, and maybe even why he drank so much. But, as always, there is that age-old question. What came first... the chicken or the egg. Was he always so callous, or is it the drinking... or both. The scattered thoughts about his friends was a terrific way to show his withdrawal, and the effects, while giving us some insights into his friends and his past. I repeat. Great chapter, Cheers... Gary....

 

Thanks Gary!  I'm not sure Jake likes himself too much right now.  He's struggling and we can be a little ugly when getting our bearings.  Right now, Jake is flailing about for an anchor.  Let's see what he finds.  I love your anticipation of the next entry. :)

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/6/2017 at 2:21 PM, JeffreyL said:

This was a good second chapter. I was pleased with the way you gave us a lot of information about the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal but didn't let it get boring. It will be interesting to see what Jake's personality will be like as he gets more sober. I'm looking forward to meeting Nats in the next chapter.

 

Thanks Jeffrey!!!  I'm glad the explanations came across as natural.  Jake will change and you'll see more of him in the coming chapters.  Nats is a Character.  Note, the capital C!! Thanks for reading and commenting. :)  

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/7/2017 at 6:24 PM, Defiance19 said:

I had malaria..lol. The pitfalls of WebMD self diagnosing..

 Jake was starting to sound a little paranoid from his reasoning about his friends to what he was actually suffering from. I was relieved when he recognized the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. Thing is, to know if he keeps going it could be worse. Knowing that is good, and while it's highly unlikely that he will not have another drink, I hope for his sake he can stay sober long enough to 'see' himself.. 

 

Great chapter, Cole., 

 

 

That part is totally me.  I read explanations of diseases and can somehow identify with the symptoms, as crazy as it sounds.  I'm glad it worked for you.  As a former bartender, I watched people struggle and sometimes fail.  Jake does have a little experience with this issue.  I appreciate the kind words!  Thanks! :)

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/7/2017 at 10:47 PM, Lisa said:

'There on the screen was a diagnosis for my ailment.  I had malaria.' 

 

I was laughing so hard, I almost fell outta my chair! :lmao:  And that's why I will NEVER look up anything on ANY medical site!

 

I must say, though, I'm very proud of Jake. He didn't reach for the bottle like his body was begging him to do. That right there takes a lot of willpower. He does have every right to be scared; I have read in the past that a heavy drinker quitting cold turkey can result in fatal seizures.

 

This was another great chapter, Cole! :)

 

Thanks Lisa!!!  I'm glad the humor came through.  I was laughing as I wrote it.  We can be so delusional about ourselves at times.  Jake is realizing things and he's scared.  Your comments are spot on!!!  Yeah! :)

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

For someone who must've studied addiction and related issues, he's doing a good job of repressing his knowledge. Too scary? But he got there in the end. So he knows which monster he's staring down. My guess is his drinking is primarily situational, so not drinking the first night he stays in could be not as much of a challenge as it will be later on when his body suddenly realises it's not getting any alcohol. The surprising change of habit got him through this first rough day. It will get very much tougher from now on... 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Your description of day 1 is enlightening and a little scary. The mind will overload and overwork itself looking for hurts and sickness. We learn more, see more in this mirror held up to Jake's life. Great writing. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/9/2017 at 4:53 PM, Puppilull said:

For someone who must've studied addiction and related issues, he's doing a good job of repressing his knowledge. Too scary? But he got there in the end. So he knows which monster he's staring down. My guess is his drinking is primarily situational, so not drinking the first night he stays in could be not as much of a challenge as it will be later on when his body suddenly realises it's not getting any alcohol. The surprising change of habit got him through this first rough day. It will get very much tougher from now on... 

 

You have some fascinating ideas about this scenario. Could his drinking be situational? Or is it more? There is much more coming. He will deal with tougher issues going forward. Very enlightened perspective. Let's see what's next! 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/10/2017 at 7:41 AM, Parker Owens said:

Your description of day 1 is enlightening and a little scary. The mind will overload and overwork itself looking for hurts and sickness. We learn more, see more in this mirror held up to Jake's life. Great writing. 

Thanks Parker! There is much going on. As you say, the mirror to this mans life will need be held up. It's going to get more real. I appreciate your comments. :) Wink. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

@Cole Matthews So, very interesting and subtle setup. You have me most intrigued about Eddie. 

 

I laughed at the moment of self-diagnosis: malaria! Of course! But I seriously applaud his frame of mind to fight through the physical pain and stay focused on his goal. I bet this is exactly the day 99% of the attempts come to a halt. Who wants to be in pain, right? I can understand that. 

 

I'm liking this piece, Cole. You are taking us on a journey that I appreciate.   

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Oh .. how we want to avoid the truth.  At any cost.  Looking at your own failings and demons is not pleasant, but eventually it's an itch you have to scratch if you want to change. 

 

Two days is hard. 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/16/2017 at 8:16 PM, AC Benus said:

@Cole Matthews So, very interesting and subtle setup. You have me most intrigued about Eddie. 

 

I laughed at the moment of self-diagnosis: malaria! Of course! But I seriously applaud his frame of mind to fight through the physical pain and stay focused on his goal. I bet this is exactly the day 99% of the attempts come to a halt. Who wants to be in pain, right? I can understand that. 

 

I'm liking this piece, Cole. You are taking us on a journey that I appreciate.   

 

I'm glad you like Jake's humor.  I think he's a very personable guy and has lots going for him.  There are more steps in the journey to come.

 

Thanks for the awesome comments.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/28/2017 at 6:28 AM, Dahawk said:

So far very powerful and moving story. Keep up the great writing, I hope all works out for Jake.

 

Thanks for the encouragement.  There is a lot more to come. Jake has a plan and he's determined, but we'll see.  It's his first attempt at Sobriety.  

:)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/23/2017 at 6:28 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Oh .. how we want to avoid the truth.  At any cost.  Looking at your own failings and demons is not pleasant, but eventually it's an itch you have to scratch if you want to change. 

 

Two days is hard. 

 

 

 

Two days is hard, but it's even worse on day three and four.  Jake has to figure out how to stop hiding from himself, you are absolutely right.  That's precisely what he's doing, but he's a pretty smart cookie.

 

Thanks for the great insights!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Cole Matthews said:

 

Two days is hard, but it's even worse on day three and four.  Jake has to figure out how to stop hiding from himself, you are absolutely right.  That's precisely what he's doing, but he's a pretty smart cookie.

 

Thanks for the great insights!

I will be back to read, Cole ... one more chapter of mine to post and I'll be a little bit freer.. :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/5/2017 at 10:12 PM, Headstall said:

To be honest, I found him, Jake, a little unpleasant, which I'm sure you intended. When he reads this back he'll be able to see how empty his life has been, and maybe even why he drank so much.

He drank so much because he was an alcoholic, not because of how empty his life was or how abrasive he was.  And in my experience, if there's not a moment of complete surrender in an alcoholic's story, the likelihood of achieving permanent sobriety is almost nil.

Jake's abrasive personality is a consequence of his addiction.  Alcoholics are notably self-centered in the extreme.  It's possible to learn and change, fortunately.  It usually can't be done on one's own, however.  Being an active addict is pretty bleak, though fortunately it's not an entirely hopeless situation.  Many people can achieve permanent sobriety and/or abstinence, with help.

Cole, this is very well done.  If I don't stick with it, it won't be because of the writing, but because I don't really want to relive those days.  Nevertheless, thank you for taking on this story.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, BigBen said:

Cole, this is very well done.  If I don't stick with it, it won't be because of the writing, but because I don't really want to relive those days.  Nevertheless, thank you for taking on this story.

Knowing how this story proceeds, I think you should keep reading.
;–)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..