Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,438 Words
  • 788 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Inspired by - 14. T's Dream Band

This is taken from the prompt about creating a proposal taking place at an amusement park. Meet T and his band. They are about to undertake part in a new venture as the first band from Tariff Free Records. The only thing is their first song is also going to be promoting the Amusement park. How did such an arrangement come to be? Why is Bobby, the band's manager so upset? Welcome to T's Dream Band.

Bobby was running late. He knew that the news vans were there already. His dark jacket helped to hide the shirt that was presently stuck to his back. This is why he hated it when T had control of an idea. T always liked to make things bigger and more outrageous than last.

"So why the hell did we have to be here at nine in the morning? Hell the park only opens up at ten am during the week," groused Lucy. Her dyed jet black hair was swept up into two pigtails that were held in place by purple skulls. The black nail polish and powdered skin only helped make her look like she needed a few pints of blood. or a few hours out in the sun. Bobby kept hoping she would outgrow this latest phase. Last month it was the country outfits, boots, and calling everyone, 'darlin'.

"Why do you think? Because T decided this would be perfect as the setting for your announcement," snapped Mark. He was their muscle. He moved around the band's equipment, helped set up their stage show, and was generally the one they all turned to when they needed something. The man seemed to be able to find their oddest requests no matter where they were. Hell he managed to find deep fried chocolate covered pretzels for Anthony one night after the drummer had heard about them on the radio.What had Mark pissed off so early in the morning was the fact that T had only deemed it necessary to tell them all about this announcement on the bus last night around 2 am. That hadn't given him much time to drive them all there, never mind get the stage set up. He was physically exhausted.

"Aye, Bob, where the hell is T anyway?" Anthony leaned against the wall sucking down a cup of coffee.

I wish to heaven I knew. He really has to realize I am your manager but half the time I find out what he has planned a moment before the rest of the band. How the hell does he expect me to earn my salary if he never lets me do anything?

Bobby waved off Anthony's question as he watched Rita come staggering into the area. She never was able to function well without eight hours of sleep and a giant cup of coffee. One look and Bobby could tell she hadn't realized what she slid on to wear. Rita was always dressed impeccably so to see her in a red top with a blue strip down the side and a flowered pair of pants in shades of neon orange and yellow clued Bobby in that she wasn't even slightly awake yet. She had on big black sun glasses and carried what looked like a giant vat of coffee. Bobby wondered where she had found a cup that large.

The whole group's attention was captured by the sound of the roller-coaster coming in for a stop and the one loud yell coming from inside it. As the group looked T climbed out of the car and waved them all down.

"Hey all. Glad you are all here."

"T you didn't exactly give us much choice," stated Lucy. She stood picking at the black nail polish and trying hard not too look at T.

"Yeah," started Anthony. "You haven't told us what is going on and now I see the damn bloody news programs are setting up. What the hell is going on mate?"

"We got signed to a record deal."

Bobby was stunned. He didn't know anything about this. He had been in conference with three record companies already and each one T had refused to sign with. Where had this come from?

"Really?" It was the first signs of life from Rita.

"Yeah, it really didn't take much to get us exactly what we wanted either."

"That is surprising," commented Mark. He turned his gaze from T to Bobby. "So why didn't you just tell us instead of keeping us in the dark?"

"Because I didn't allow Bobby in on it. I signed with Tariff Free Records. They own part of this amusement park and with our song, Ride the Roller-Coaster, they are going to make our first video here. In fact, Eddie Bauer is coming to make the announcement to the news group and introduce us at ten."

Bobby was worried. Every negotiation that they had been through he had read the fine print and used his own skills as lawyer to find the tricky language that would have kept the band from outright owning their own music and tied them into making a certain amount of records for nearly no money, while forcing them to pay for the tours to promote the albums. Now T had signed for the band and Bobby hadn't even seen the contract. The band looked really happy but Bobby was angry.

"Everyone go get dressed quick. We will barely have time for a quick sound check before we have to go on for the news shows," T said with a smile.

Bobby watched the band race back toward their van and Mark headed off to do a quick check on their equipment.

"Terry, for fuck's sake couldn't you have at least let me look it over."

"Bobby, you know I trust you. Hell you are my brother. We don't let anyone know that, do we? Well the reason I didn't bother to tell you about this is, well, I'm Tariff Free Records/"

"What? How can you be a record company?"

"I kept watching how you found all the things in each of those contracts. If we signed with them we would be slaves to them and our songs wouldn't be ours any longer. Finally I figured the band wouldn't be able to take another downward spin. So I've made a little proposal."

"Terry, you didn't do what I think you did. did you? You took your inheritance and bought a record company didn't you?"

"Yup, I took all the money that was left to me and invested it in me and the band. The proposal is that as of now you are the president of Tariff and will guide everyone we sign. I want you to know how much I trust you so I put it into your name. I also signed up those three other groups you kept saying were so good. So you really are running a record company now. You share the profits more evenly and you have a publishing company that the bands use for their music."

"Jesus, Terry. You know you can share with me and the band. We are your family and friends. You know I hate learning about things at the last minute. I can't believe you created a record company. So who the hell is Bauer anyway?"

"Well, he owns the park and well, I part a share of it so he is going to play the face of the park introducing the new band that will be performing here and introducing all sorts of new bands as they sign up with Tariff. Consider him the face while you stay behind the scenes and are the power."

"Now I know why you wanted to drag us here to an amusement park."

"Yup. So that I could get us national attention. The park is going to be auditioning talent all summer long and the winners will be invited back to perform in September for a chance to be signed to Tariff. Forget something like being an idol. These people will be judged by the audience so they will have to win over the people not a judge. Besides I didn't think you could turn me down seconds before the announcement."

"Seems you have it all planned out," Bobby said with a smile. "Let's hope it goes as smoothly as you think it will baby brother. Do you need to change for your show?"

Terry looked down at his black jeans, black boots, and green shirt that read 'Fun For All' and smiled.

"Nope. Think I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Let's go introduce the rest of the world to the band."

Bobby shook his head following T toward the stage and the news conference. Dreams better be a big hit as a band, because you have set all your dreams on it bro.

So that was the prompt and my take on it. I hope you enjoyed this look into T's world. If you liked it or if you hated it leave me a message. Always like to know how you felt. If you did like it please feel free to leave a happy point too.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..