Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 636 Words
  • 1,001 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Inspired by - 6. Prompt 48 - My bond with Lee

Friendships are strange things. Some people come into your life and before you know it they have forged an unbreakable bond with you. Those friendships are the ones you remember and rely on, even after the person involved has passed away. Welcome to the bond of friendship I forged with Lee.

It was the first day of class. I already felt out of place, having arrived early and getting coffee in the cafeteria. I had been surrounded by eighteen and nineteen-year-olds who all looked so young that at twenty seven I was already feeling like an ancient. Thank God, the college was a fairly small one and it was easy to get around.

The first class I had was one the Dean had suggested I take. There were going to be a group of core classes that approximately twenty students from different disciplines were going to take. The first one met Monday morning at seven am for Earth Science. There were six tables and a black board in the front of the room. I was early and the professor had just opened the door so he could get set up. I moved to the front table and sat down.

“I see I am not the only one who likes to be early,” came a gentle voice from across the table.

I looked up to find a woman who wasn’t a kid sitting down and opening up a tote bag to pull out her notebook and a pen. Her dark hair was shoulder length and framed her face. Her glasses helped to hide her smiling eye but she was already showing signs of being someone I wanted to get to know. Here was a woman who was willing to talk and joke and she had just met me.

“Nope, habit with me. I hate to do things last minute. Name is Wayne,” I stated as I held out my hand.

“Lee. Nice to meet you. I was afraid I was going to be the only one.” She shook my hand and then went in to grab a pen out of her book bag.

“Only one, what?” I asked confused. It was early and I hadn't managed to drink more than a few sips of my coffee yet.

“Only older student.”

Looking at her you didn’t immediately think older. She was sort of ageless, happy, and soon would be recognized as the Earth Mother to the whole group.

“Nope. But I don’t think you are all that much older.”

“Thirty one and ready to bet no one else comes close,” she laughed. It made her nose wrinkle up. I found it refreshing to find someone who talked so openly and we were just getting to know one another.

“Well, I am twenty seven if it makes you feel any better.”

“A little, anyway. I was afraid I would be the lone soul in a group of kids just starting out.”

“Not really. I decided after helping the umpteenth kid at work fill out their college application I could as well. Guess you can say I am just starting out again.”

“I'm in the process of starting over myself. Divorce will do that, and I figured an education will help me get what I want.”

As she picked up her coffee we watched the others arrive. It seemed all of a sudden as thought the flood gates opened as in groups of twos and threes the rest of the class seemed to arrive. All in all there were twenty of us and of that group three of us were considered older students. Besides Lee and myself there was also Donna who beat Lee by two years and also had a son.

From that first moment we had bonded. It was a friendship over something so simple as age and liking to be early. We stayed close friends for six years till her terribly short battle with cancer took her from this world. It is a bond I remember and still treasure.

This is the story as close to what I can remember. I wish I could check with Lee to see if it is all correct but she lives on in my memory only now.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Bet Lee approves of what you drudged up from your memories! :P

sheeesh!

 

It's a wonderful first meeting. :) no wonder it was easy to be friends with her, she sounds like a really awesome person. ^_^

Link to comment
On 08/15/2011 03:41 PM, Frostina said:
Bet Lee approves of what you drudged up from your memories! :P

sheeesh!

 

It's a wonderful first meeting. :) no wonder it was easy to be friends with her, she sounds like a really awesome person. ^_^

Lee is one of those people that once you met her you simply wanted her in your life.
Link to comment

Hmmm. She sounds nice. And she obviously meant much to you. I'd say you did her memory justice. Thanks for sharing.

Link to comment
On 08/17/2011 04:15 AM, Michael9344 said:
Hmmm. She sounds nice. And she obviously meant much to you. I'd say you did her memory justice. Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad you got a sense of what an incredible woman Lee was. If that much was accomplished I did my job.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..