Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,007 Words
  • 1,112 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Inspired by - 4. Prompt 37 - Lou's Compromise

Okay so Lugh set another challenge. Have something that used the four words given which were mechanic, bathtub, speghetti, and stool in a story that ended in a compromise. Here is hoping I hit the mark. For your reading pleasure I present Christina and Lou.

Christina was pissed off. There was no other way to put it as she stormed out of the kitchen. If Lou didn’t get his act together she was going to kill her husband for his sheer stupidity.

“Why, in God’s name, did that idiot move my stool out of the kitchen?” she screamed at no one in particular as she clomped through the hallway to her home office. “Stupid idiot keeps saying I don’t need to worry about the top shelves because he is here. Stupid ass isn’t here all the time.”

She found her step stool tucked into the corner of the office. It was where Lou liked to place the things he felt cluttered up their apartment. Shaking her head she dragged it back to the kitchen, opened the cabinet, and climbed up to get down the can of spaghetti she planned to make for dinner tonight. While she was up there she noticed he had moved all the foods he felt were too high in sodium up there out of her sight. She could feel her blood pressure going up and knew she had to calm down.

I’m going to strangle him, right after I shove a bottle of salt right up his ass. All the doctor had to tell him was my blood pressure was a little high and he has gone off the deep end.

She glanced up at the clock and seen it was only going on four thirty. Deciding dinner could wait, she headed down to their bedroom. She grabbed her large fluffy robe and her slippers while she made her way to the bathroom. Before her stood the one reason Christina really loved the apartment, the huge old fashioned clawed bathtub. It was twice the size of any modern bathtub and she loved to soak for hours in it. Christina slowly filled it with hot water, and then added her bath soaps and salts. Soon the tub was filled with little bubbles that floated on the steamy water and in the air. She gingerly lowered herself into the warm bath water and felt the anger slide away. Leaning back in the tub, Christina relaxed and fell asleep.

At a quarter after five Lou walked in the front door and noticed the silence. Figuring that his wife might be sleeping he slid off his greasy work boots and shrugged out his mechanic’s overalls. He kept a pair of shorts in the closet by the door, changed into them and then walked his dirty work clothes over to the wash machine. Once the load was up he went looking for Christina and finally found her asleep in the tub. Reaching his hand in he found the water had turned cold.

“Christina. Honey, wake up.”

“Um,” was the murmured answer from the tub.

“Come on babe, get out of the water. You are all pruney.”

“Don’t wanna. Besides, you can make the can of spaghetti for us.” She yawned and stretched a bit coming awake as Lou looked down at her.

“I can make us fresh spaghetti if you want it. I don’t think we need to eat that canned stuff.”

“Lou, before you I kill you, listen to me.”

Lou stopped and looked at his wife as she lay in the tub of cool water. Her long brown hair surrounded her shoulders looking like a shaggy creature that was trying to attack her. The thought of her being in any kind of trouble tightened his chest, making it hard to breathe.

“What … what is wrong Hun?”

“You. You are what is wrong with me right now. You are driving me nuts. Look I know I had a minor heart attack and the doctor wants me to eat healthier. I know that it scared you to death.”

Christina paused and looked at Lou. He sat there like a frozen statue looking down at her, he seemed ready to cry.I’ve got to make him understand.

“Christina,” began Lou.

“No, stop and listen. I know you love me. I can’t have you trying to wrap me in bubble wrap and keep me from living my life. I’m human and I’m going to make mistakes. Face it, I know salt is no good and the doctor told me what to avoid and what I should be doing. I’m following his directions, right?”

“Yes, so far you are, Christina.”

“Then do me a favor, let me live again. You hide the food you think is bad, you don’t let me go shopping, and the idea I head back to work next week is driving you crazy.”

“But you know I am making enough at the car …”

“Stop! I need my life too, Lou. I won’t tell you how to run your shop, or what you can and can’t do. That isn’t me, and that isn’t who you fell in love with.”

“No, that isn’t you.”

“Good. Then, please, don’t do that to me. I’ve told you before but you don’t let me finish before you start talking over my complaints. You need to let us be partners again. This is my life too and I need to live it.”

Lou sat and really looked at his wife. With tears in his eyes he shook his head yes and reached out to hug her.

“Lover, you need a bath yourself. Hand me my towel and you can take yours.”

Lou got up off the edge of the tub and handed her a towel from under the sink.

Christina wrapped the towel around herself and stood on her tippy toes to give Lou a kiss.

“When you finish your bath, I’ll have dinner ready. Nothing canned, I promise,” Christina stated as she sauntered out of the bathroom. Lou smiled to himself and began to drain the old bath water so he could take his

So tell me what you thought. If you liked it let me know. If you didn't, well let me know. Comments, as you should realize by now, are always welcome.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a nice wee portrait of domesticity.

 

I kinda wondered if you were sending her to a long bath to remove some of the salt by osmosis ... and then you had her put salts IN the bloody bath. Honestly, the poor woman can't do right for the author making her do wrong :D:P

 

I have no idea if you got all the words in, or if you made the word count instruction. And I couldn't care less. This wee story was just such an everyday vignete of a life, it was fabby. Thank you.

Link to comment
On 07/21/2011 09:48 AM, Dannsar said:
What a nice wee portrait of domesticity.

 

I kinda wondered if you were sending her to a long bath to remove some of the salt by osmosis ... and then you had her put salts IN the bloody bath. Honestly, the poor woman can't do right for the author making her do wrong :D:P

 

I have no idea if you got all the words in, or if you made the word count instruction. And I couldn't care less. This wee story was just such an everyday vignete of a life, it was fabby. Thank you.

Well it was a case of using the four words and having the story end in a compromise. i think some things are easily worked out in daily life. It is just how you look at the puzzle pieces and decide how to use them. Thanks for the review Dannsar.
Link to comment

Very sweet little story that shows a snippit of real life. Affection in an romantic realistic reality. :D

Link to comment
On 07/21/2011 01:03 PM, K.C. said:
Very sweet little story that shows a snippit of real life. Affection in an romantic realistic reality. :D
Well I am a romantic at heart. Just worked within the confines that Lugh set out. Glad you enjoyed it KC. Glad someone is reading it too. :)
Link to comment

Cool. I was thinking of Christina as BFH and Lou was... but then things got clear in the end. You made Christy's feelings clear. I don't see any minus in this one:)

Link to comment
On 08/17/2011 04:00 AM, Michael9344 said:
Cool. I was thinking of Christina as BFH and Lou was... but then things got clear in the end. You made Christy's feelings clear. I don't see any minus in this one:)
Glad you enjoyed it then. Always hoped the fight and things would make it all clear to the reader.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Loved this in the forums and here again. I could see myself as Christina totally beating up on a hubby that thinks being physically ill means I somehow lost the ability to make decisions for myself. Been there actually :P

Link to comment
On 08/18/2011 02:43 AM, Cia said:
Loved this in the forums and here again. I could see myself as Christina totally beating up on a hubby that thinks being physically ill means I somehow lost the ability to make decisions for myself. Been there actually :P
I like relationships that you can toy with. I think men and women get that way when the person they love is sick. They just want to take over. But the thing to remember is while they might be sick they are still the same person you have always loved and they still need to live their lives.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..