Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,836 Words
  • 867 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Inspired by - 17. The Key

Lugh wrote this prompt asking you to use the first line as the intro to your story. Took me a while to figure it out but I like what it became.

He tried to remember who had given him the key. So many people at that damn get together had told him stories and handed him things. It was just that he knew the key was important. Given time he knew he would remember its significance.

“Seth, why are you so focused on the key?”

Seth turned and looked at his apprentice. Pat was of the Binora race, which made this arrangement something new as it was.

“Because I have a feeling it might be the most important gift that was given to me at that party.”

“Wait a minute. You got a new wand, a few cloaks, a dagger, and I think that last one was a dragon’s egg. Compared to all that stuff you think a key might be the most important? What am I missing?”

Seth didn’t have to look to know he was dealing with Pat’s female half. She was always the practical one. Also, Pat’s female half was the one who always wanted all the answers.

“Okay Pat, why don’t you see if you can eliminate the other gifts before you focus on the key? What reason would I have to say any of those gifts were less valuable for me?”

Pat stared at Seth. Her long red hair fell pin straight and she absent-mindedly tucked it behind her ear as she focused on the Master’s question.

“Hmm. Well the wand is a perfect gift to give an enchanter however it has to be one that fits into their work. Unless the purchaser knew you intimately the wand might not work as well or at all for you. That is why all enchanters prefer to buy their own wands.”

“Good. Go on.”

“The cloaks are everyday items. However, you don’t know if they are cursed, enchanted, or even weather proof. I guess that was sort of a lousy gift.” Her voice sort of lilted and captured Seth’s attention.

Seth laughed at that one. Pat was now honestly stopping to consider the gifts and what might be good or bad. It was nice to know Pat could take the time to figure things out methodically.

“Now the dagger,” came a much deeper and richer voice from alongside of Seth. Seth was surprised and turned to quickly look at Pat. Now Pat had altered some. The eyes looked the same but the face had filled out. The long hair had grown coarser and there was a light beard covering his face. His brow was scrunched up in concentration. The oversized robe now made full sense to Seth. This was the first time he had seen the near immediate change from one aspect to the other in Pat. “I really didn’t look to see if it was silver or steel. I just liked the rich design on the handle. Sorry, guess I sort of lost track of why an enchanter might need it outside of his lab.”

“Those sorts of weapons aren’t something I need much in my profession. Besides, if I do need a weapon I have many other alternatives to choose from that would work much better in my hand.”

Pat seemed upset by the answer.

“Was there something more you needed, Pat?”

“Yes. So why accept such crappy gifts if you know most of them you simply won’t be able to use? What do you do with this stuff anyway?”

“One never insults a gift. Whether I can use or not, it is just plain good manners to smile and accept what they offer. Some offer gifts out of fear, others in good will, for some it all they can afford, and yet for others it is the ability to brag they were able to gift something to an enchanter.”

“But what do you do with them all?”

“It all depends. The wand I will have to test to determine what sort of wand it is. If I find I can use it, so much the better. However if I cannot then I will trade it at Rookswood when the Fair Folk come to hold their grand festival.”

“Well that makes sense,” stated the soft lilting voice of Pat’s female persona. The robe that had barely fit a moment ago was back to swimming on her.

“The robes will also be looked at. If they aren’t cursed or enchanted I will pass them along to some of the poor people near my home. Why should they suffer and be wet when I have more regular robes than I could ever use?”

Pat paused to look at Seth. “You know that most enchanters don’t act that way.”

"Well, who said I was like most enchanters?”

Pat nodded as they continued to ride in the small wagon back toward Seth’s home. They rode along in silence but Seth kept glancing and seeing how Pat was still working things out. He could almost see the wheels of Pat’s mind turning things over in her very complex mind.

Now if I could just remember what was going on when that key was handed to me? I remember that large gentleman in blue, hmm; Rinaxa gave me that awful striped pink, black, and orange robe. He kept telling me how beautiful the beastly thing was and how he hoped I would like it.

“Seth,” Pat’s voice broke his concentration. “What do you plan to do with the small dagger?”

Seth smiled. He knew some part of Pat was drawn to the dagger. He had seen the ornate handle that had both a male and female on it. He would have to check to make sure it hadn’t been cursed and then if Pat wanted it he would give it to her. But, first he was determined to see if his apprentice would finally admit that she wanted something besides just knowledge.

“I’ll probably have it melted down for scrap.”

“Oh, no.”

“No? Why? Would you like it Pat?”

Pat blushed. Her male half had promised that if Seth took them on and treated them respectfully they would never ask for anything. Pat had easily been able to keep that promise but there was something about the dagger that called to both halves of her.

“I … well …yes, please,” she squeaked as she finally lifted her head to look at Seth.

Seth smiled and nodded. “Then I will check to make sure it will not do you harm and then you may have it.”

Pat blushed. Seth leaned back and jiggled the reins to the horse, urging it to move a bit faster. He figured they would arrive home within a half hour.

“I know Lady Triana was happy to give you the dragon egg.”

“Actually she didn’t know what she had and it is very, very dangerous.”

Pat stopped and carefully handled the box in which the egg sat. The cart jerked as the horses dragged the cart through the rut in the roadway.

“Careful with that, Pat,” warned Seth.

“Well,” came the deep voice again. “What is this egg anyway?”

“A mundane egg.” Seth looked over to see how Pat would handle the truth.

“A world egg,” he said as he very carefully set the box back down. Pat’s hands shook ever so slightly as he rubbed them against his knees. The color had drained from his face and eventually he looked up at Seth to make sure this was no joke.

“Yes. It really is a mundane egg.”

“How the hell did Lady Triana end up with one of those?”

“Who knows? However I do plan to exchange it at the fair.”

“Gor, I won’t feel happy till that thing is gone.”

Pat sat shaking his head and considering everything that had happened. He could remember most of the guests made a gift of either a coin or a small cake. A good portion of those had either found their way into Seth’s small sack or were dropped off at the orphanage they had passed on the way out of town. So, that just left the small ornate silver key that Seth’s attention kept wandering to.

“So, um, who gave you the key, Seth?”

And just like that Seth remembered. There was the small boy with the bruise on his face. He had slipped up to Seth as he had tried to hide himself from Mistress Bridey. She seemed to be under the false impression that all enchanters could make woman forever young. Seth knew if he ever found the storyteller who started that rumor he would personally castrate them. The child had slipped up to him then and handed him the key.

“Enchanter Seth for the aid you will offer to my people I give you this key. It opens people. Remember when the time comes.”

Seth had barely heard the boy and as he went to ask a question Mistress Bridey made the presumptious move of grabbing his ass through his robe. He stood quickly in pain and when he glanced back the boy had vanished.

Pat turned about to ask Seth another question when noticed his master had turned pale.

“Master Seth,” began Pat rather worriedly. “Master Seth, are you alright?”

“I know what the key is.”

“What is it, Seth?”

Seth turned to Pat and a tear fell. “It is the key that has been lost for a long time, Pat. One you should recognize.”

“I should recognize? Why on earth would I recognize a key? I mean …”

Seth watched as Pat once more rapidly changed forms. That might be normal for them but it still has to hurt.

“By the Goddesses, you mean that is it? The Key of Opening?”

“I think so, Pat. This is the key that will allow a person to be opened to the Gods again. To free their mind from the narrow world in which we live and instead allow anyone to reach their full potential.”

“Master Seth you do receive some really unusual gifts.”

“I do indeed, Pat. I do indeed.” They finally rolled to a stop beside the barn.

“Water the horse and check to make sure that what little livestock we have is taken care of. I shall start the fire and get the water on, Pat.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Tonight we have lots to research. I’ll see you inside.”

Pat watched Seth head toward the house. He reached up and patted the horse before smiling. “Maybe it wasn’t such a bad idea to decide to learn from Seth. The man does seem to have an interesting life,” Pat slowly walked the horse into a stall so she could brush the dapple mare.

So now you have met Seth and Pat. What did you think of them? Comments are always welcome. If you enjoyed it, well a happy point won't hurt either.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is great. Original, imaginative and so much going on, lots to pick up on. Loads of well-written details. Is there more? I like the character Pat, particularly. :) Hope you post more of this.

Link to comment
On 08/30/2011 07:19 PM, carringtonrj said:
This is great. Original, imaginative and so much going on, lots to pick up on. Loads of well-written details. Is there more? I like the character Pat, particularly. :) Hope you post more of this.
The writing prompts give me space to play with all sorts of ideas. Some of these I might come back to. Glad you liked it.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..