Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Void In My Heart - 1. BIRTHDAY

Weather was getting worse in the small town of Bree. Rustling of leaves and creaking sounds made it evident that a storm was brewing. People rushed to the safety of their homes and shops got closed before the normal time. Soon, streets were lashed with heavy downpour and thunderstorms struck several places. Far to the southern side of the town, the Merryls were celebrating the 19th birthday of their younger son, Joey.

“Even the rain Gods want to click a picture of yours brother”, remarked Adam, Joey’s elder brother.

This birthday was no unusual sight than birthdays celebrated elsewhere, other than there were only four people present for the birthday-Joey, Adam, their parents Mr.Griffith Merryl and Mrs.Clara Merryl. Joey had an innocent smile on his face as he cut the birthday cake and offered it to his family.

“Time to open your birthday presents Joey”, Clara ruffled the boy’s hair.

Joey received a pair of new clothes from his parents and a new video game from his brother. Clara could clearly see that Griffith was concerned about something. “Why don’t you two enjoy the new video game”, she asked her sons to try out the game brought for Joey. Adam , being an understanding son and a good brother, took Joey to his room and they started playing the video game.

“What is the matter Griffith? You don’t seem to be happy on this special occasion”, she placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Happiness is there Clara, but at the same time, we cannot overlook the reality. Joey had a tough time in his senior year with no social life, no friends. He likes to remain in the confines of his comfort level. He is 19 and about to enter into a new world of college life. You think, he can handle the new environment there?”, Griffith asked his wife.

With a deep sigh, Clara said “We need to give him time. Things will get better with time”.

“Or worse! You very well know that he is not comfortable in meeting people and never makes friends. When I see college boys of his age, I am brought back to the reality that our son might never be like them. We are living in a town at present but what will happen when we send him to city. You are fully aware that not all people would understand him. He might end up getting hurt and going deeper into the shell of loneliness”, Griffith’s voice got choked as he was overwhelmed with emotions.

Clara, too couldn’t hide tears in her eyes as she said “I feel bad that despite the best of our efforts, we haven’t been able to give him a normal life. Wish he had some friends. I don’t think that we would be sending him for college studies this year.”

“Yes, even I was thinking about the same thing. The only concern I have, is how much time will it take for him to be normal again”, the old man sighed as he looked through the window frame of his house.

Copyright © 2015 CreativeRomantic; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..