Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Void In My Heart - 3. THE BIG CHANGE

Having spent a week at the hospital, Joey was brought back home. A lot of things had changed in the past week. Even the bright sunlight could not give positive energy to the young teen who had enclosed himself in a shell. He hadn't said a single word since the reality dawned upon him. He just went to his room and locked the door. Clara got worried.
 
"Let him be alone for today. It is not easy for him. We have to give him some time", Griffith asked his wife to be patient. "I would go for the funeral ceremony of Joey's friends", Adam said with a heavy heart. He was about to leave when door of Joey's room creaked open. Joey was standing with an old bag. "I would accompany you brother", his words came as a welcome relief for the family. "Yeah, you should", Adam wiped his tears and smiled at his brother.
 
"We can also accompany you two then", their father said. Joey didn't speak any other word as they all arrived at the funeral ceremony. Family members, friends and relatives of the ill-fated teens had assembled.
 
All eyes were wet and faces had expressions of despair, shock, and deep sadness. Joey came and silently sat beside graves of his best buddies. He opened his bag and took out an old picture of the four friends. The young lad turned towards the priest and said "God has not only taken away my friends, but he has taken my soul too. This bag consists of the old memories we four shared. They are not the ill-fated ones, for they went to heaven together. I am the one who didn't have luck to undertake the last ride with them. For the world, they are dead but they would forever reside in my heart. No one can take their place in my life. No one can..." he burst in tears as people couldn't hold back their tears seeing the bond of friendship the four teens shared.
 
Joey stood silent as people prayed for the departed souls. After the ceremony got over, Joey met parents of Max,Susan and Fedrick for the last time. "Wish I was not standing in front of you, but lying there with them", Joey said as they all hugged him. "Your friendship will be known for years to come son", mother of Max said to Joey.
 
Joey bid final adieu to his estranged friends and came home with his family. He did not meet any of his friends who paid a visit to him. Nor he met any of the relatives who came home to inquire about his health. "We must consider a psychiatrist", Griffith discussed with Clara and Adam. "That would be a wrong decision Dad", Adam was not happy with the idea. "We all know what Joey is going through and I don't know how will he react if we made him see a psychiatrist", he further added.
 
"I agree, but how long will he alienate himself from others. It is difficult to lead a lonely life", Griffith explained the reason behind his decision.
 
"I will be his friend. He won't be alone Dad. I will give him more time than I used to, but I request you not to seek any medical assistance for him at this point of time", Adam convinced his father. "Alright son", Griffith sighed.
 
The family had mixed feelings. On one hand, they were elated that Joey was alive and on the other hand, they were sad at the prospect of their son becoming an anthropophobic. Joey's normal routine was drastically changed. He used to look at all the tangible memories of his friends all day long and came out of his room only for meals. Sports which were an integral part of his life, lost their importance in his daily life.
 
"We are losing him. He has snapped contacts with all of his friends", Clara expressed her concern to her husband and elder son.
 
"We must take some steps in order to bring the old Joey back", Griffith sighed.
Copyright © 2015 CreativeRomantic; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..