Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Void In My Heart - 2. GOOD OLD DAYS

Joey was not like this in his early teens. He used to be a jolly guy for whom laughter was the most important part of his daily routine. He loved to make people laugh and enjoy his life to the best. Max, Susan and Fedrick were his closest friends with whom he shared his every secret. The bunch of four was known to be a mischievous one and they pranked people on a regular basis. He used to go for campings and outings on his birthday. Company of some great friends and a loving family, he couldn’t have asked for more in his happy life.

Life is unpredictable and sometimes it can be too cruel to one. A year ago, it was like any other day. Joey got up and started packing his bags for an upcoming road trip with his best buddies. “Don’t play pranks on strangers little buddy”, Adam advised his younger brother. “You expect me to change? It can never happen and who knows better than you brother”, the young lad replied with an evil grin. “When are they coming to pick you up?” asked Clara.

“They will be here anytime Mom”, Joey put on his brand new shoes.

Soon, they all heard honking of horn outside the gate of their house, and Joey rushed to the gate along with a backpack. “Be careful boy”, Adam hollered as the youngster got inside the car and waved back at his Mom and brother.

That was the last day when the family saw Joey laughing in the company of his friends.

Teens hollered loud as Max put on some loud music. “This road trip would be a memorable one”, Susan hugged Joey. “Someone’s getting cozy”, Fedrick exclaimed as all of them chuckled. They drove amidst lush green surroundings and sang their favorite road trip song-“There’s ain’t no trash in my trailer”. They clicked some crazy pictures on the way as they reached the camping site. “Finally, we are here. I bought some drinks for us”, Max grinned.

“The last thing I would expect you to do is get drunk and jump off the cliff”, Susan remarked.

“At least, you would shed some tears for someone other than your boyfriend”, Max laughed out hard.

“Stop you two, and let’s celebrate 5 years of our friendship”, Joey raised his hands high in the air and others followed the suit.

They lit a bonfire and talked about how they met 5 years ago, what all they had accomplished and what were their future plans. It was a peaceful night. The next day, all of them rose early and started packing their bags. Before leaving, they embarked their names on a rock. “Long lives our friendship”, Fedrick exclaimed as they hugged one another. They sat in the car and started driving back to their hometown. All was going well, until Susan shrieked as she saw a big truck coming their way. It was being driven recklessly. “Easy girl, it won’t kill you”, Max chuckled.

The truck almost hit the car, but Max evaded the collision. “Woof! That was a close one”, Fedrick heaved a sigh of relief. Susan was almost in shock as Joey calmed her down. They stopped for breakfast at one of the midway restaurants. “Pay the bill, we are waiting for you in car”, Max said to Joey and grinned at Fedrick and Susan. “Anything for you all”, Joey smiled as he took out his wallet.

Rest of them rushed to the car and Max started the car. “This is not a good idea”, Susan murmured. “Oh come on! It’s just a mischief with our good boy”, Fedrick asked Max to carry on with their planned prank. Joey turned back as he saw them smiling and waving at him. He started running towards the car as Max picked up speed. He smiled to himself as he knew this would stop after sometime.

After making Joey run few metres, Max stopped the car and all three of them made gesture at Joey to come up. The teen smiled to himself as he started walking towards the car. To his utmost horror, the same truck came at a lightning speed and hit the car. Before Max could take control of the car, the car drifted to a cliff and fell off. Within fraction of seconds, the world of Joey was turned upside down. For few moments he couldn’t realize what all happened.

The smiles and chuckles of his three best friends echoed in his ears. He ran with full speed towards the cliff but all he could find was the car reduced to ashes. He fell down on the ground and his mind became numb. He couldn’t think of anything. The shock was too big for him to handle. The memories, the smiling faces, the previous night, all seemed to get blurred as he fell unconscious.

The restaurant owner called the police and boy was taken to a nearby hospital by the cops. When Joey regained his consciousness, he saw worried faces of his family. “Mom, I saw a bad dream. Max, Susan and Fedrick were killed in an accident. Where are they? I got to meet them now”, Joey spoke aloud. Adam’s eyes were watery as he tried to console his younger brother who was still not ready to accept the reality. How could he, given the fact that he was with his estranged buddies, moments before the tragedy struck.

“Why is no one answering me? Where are my friends? I want to meet them right now”, Joey was growing restless as his mom couldn’t control her tears and came out of the room. Griffith too came out to console his wife. “How can God be so cruel to these innocent kids!”, Clara exclaimed as she was overwhelmed with emotions. Adam was trying his best to calm Joey, but he fell unconscious again. Doctors were called and they asked the family to be patient as the teen had suffered a mental trauma. It was a day long wait until the family got to meet Joey again. His face was devoid of any expressions and he was sitting like a statue. Adam told his parents that the doctors had disclosed the reality to Joey. The family sat beside the lad who was facing the harsh reality of the loss of his friends.

Copyright © 2015 CreativeRomantic; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..