Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Void In My Heart - 11. INITIATION

Joey felt a lot better after his interaction with Meg. He got dressed up in his sports outfit. Though the yearlong melancholic period had drained him emotionally, but he still had a good physique. He was one of the star soccer players of his school and a number of girls swooned over his athletic build and handsome facial features. He proceeded downstairs and walked over to the field.

Over the course of past four months, he had started interacting with some of the guys but none could fit in the shoes of any of his estranged friends. He, too, just talked with them either while they were playing soccer or having meals. Meg was his only good friend with whom he could share his innermost thoughts.

While he was practicing, his eyes constantly gazed around Felix's office. He wished he could see the doctor again, but no luck. He figured out that Felix might be engrossed in his work. Drenched in sweat, he started walking back to the dorm.

Just as he was about to enter the corridor, a deep voice called him. He turned around and saw Felix standing there. Once again his smile made Joey's knees buckle. "Oh, hey Felix. Didn't see you after morning", Joey said, his voice carrying an air of uneasiness.

"Well, yeah I got called for an emergency. You know how tough it can get to manage all things at the same time. Seems like you had a great practice out there, you are all soaked", the doctor smiled as Joey got even more cautious about his appearance. Seeing Joey fixing his hair, Felix knew his comment had made the boy feel uneasy.

"It's okay buddy. You don't need to fix your hair. Anyways, I wanted to ask if you would like to go out for dinner tonight", the doctor tried to make him comfortable.

Joey got surprised and happy but then he remembered the café incident, which made him upset once again. "Is everything okay bud?” the doctor asked.

At first, Joey thought of making an excuse but then he cleared his throat and said, "Don't you think I am in much better condition than when I came here? I don't need any more therapeutic sessions", Joey's answer caught Felix off guard.

"Therapy session! What are you talking about Joey?” he asked the boy. Joey tried to maintain calm as he asked "isn't this dinner, a part of your general therapy, like the café invitation?"

Felix chuckled "oh no not at all. I am sorry I didn't tell you about the therapy back then but it's a norm here. Though let me tell you, I would like you to have dinner at my place which is not far away from the center. I will drive you back to the center after dinner. Would you like to accept my invite now?"

For some moments, Joey couldn't believe what he heard. His heart was filled with inexplicable joy. "Ah, never mind. I just felt like asking you to accompany me. Have a good day Joey", Felix smiled and turned back to leave. Realizing that his silence had been misinterpreted by the doctor, Joey called his name.

The boy walked over to him and said, "I am so sorry. I know I sounded capricious, but I would definitely like to come for dinner. I hope I am not late in accepting the invite". Felix smiled to himself, and then looked at Joey. "Well, never say never. I will see you at 8 o' clock then. Don't be late", Felix tussled boy's hair and left.

Joey stood there for a while, still trying to let the feeling sink in. He looked at the sky, closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He was feeling so good. Suddenly, weather turned cloudy and Joey ran to the dorm, elated with immense joy. He hollered and jumped in his room, singing his favorite song.

The joy which had eluded his face for the last one year, was once again adorning his face. He immediately called up Meg and eagerly waited for her to pick up the call. Even before she could say hello, he spoke with excitement, "guess what happened today?"

"Boy, you sound like a happy soul. Tell me what is it?” Meg was evenly excited to hear about the news Joey had to give to her. "Felix invited me for dinner at his place tonight. Best part is it's not a part of any therapy", Joey brimmed with excitement.

"Wow! That's great news. Maybe, he likes you too", Meg poked him. "Ah! No, I don't think so. I am his best friend's younger brother. So, he might have come up with this plan. Having said that, I am glad I will be spending quality time with him", Joey blushed as he clarified.

"Whatever be the case, I am glad to hear your cheerful voice. Have a great time kiddo" Meg said in a playful manner. Joey was still in a trance and he was hoping that this invite could be an indication of better things coming in future.

He took a long shower and decided to take an afternoon nap as he had played soccer for nearly 2 hours and he didn't want to be dizzy in front of Felix. He put an alarm and as he remembered the meeting with Felix, he dozed off. After a good 3 hour long sleep, he woke up to the alarm.

Even though he knew he had not snoozed the alarm, yet he checked the time repeatedly, rubbing his eyes as he woke up. Relieved that he was on time, he took a quick shower and put on a pair of crew neck T shirt and denims which accentuated his build.

Even though there were still three hours to go before the clock struck eight, he was growing restless. As time passed by, with each second seeming like minutes and minute seeming like hours, Joey started walking back and forth in his room. He would sit for some time, stand up, start walking to and fro, check his hair in the mirror, and again start walking.

Just 5 minutes prior to eight, he got a call from the doctor. "Hey buddy, I am waiting for you in the parking zone. I hope you are ready to leave", the doctor said in his husky voice. Joey replied, "I am coming there."

He was too excited and once again had a good look at himself in the mirror before locking the doors of his room. He saw a tall figure in the parking zone and his heartbeat increased as he knew it was Felix. The doctor smiled at him and said "shall we leave?" Joey was once again mesmerized by his smile as he simply nodded.

They both sat in the car and left the premises of the center. The doctor put on the song "Call me maybe" as Joey was delighted. "This song is amazing. I have some beautiful memories associated with this song. I love it", he said in a joyous tone.

"Wow! It's my favorite too. It helps me beat stress and always cheers me up ", Felix said, smiling at the boy who was enjoying his company.

They both enacted and lip synced the song. They both had a good laugh after the song ended. "We are almost home", the doctor said as he took a right turn and stopped the car near an aesthetically designed bungalow. It had small light bulbs adorning the four corners. There were wind chimes, flower pots, and a small garden. "You have got a beautiful place", Joey complimented as Felix escorted him to the door. "My Mom is a nature lover and most of the flowers you see here, were planted by her", the doctor smiled.

Seeing the doctor going nostalgic, Joey said "I would love to take a tour of your house before we sit for the dinner."

"Sure thing", the doctor smiled as he opened the doors to the main hall. It was as elegant as the rest of the house. One could tell that people who had built this house were not only concerned about the architecture but also the aesthetic soul of the house. Joey was enjoying the view of different rooms but more than that he liked the way the doctor was explaining him each and everything.

"I hope now your stomach is rumbling", Felix said to the boy who had seen every room by then. "Yeah, time to satisfy our palates", Joey chuckled. Felix had cooked a really nice meal, Joey could tell it by the aroma of the food served.

At first, none of them spoke. Then, Felix broke the ice as he asked "how are you feeling these days? I hope that now you are not afraid of socializing and making some new friends." Joey thought for a while and replied, "There's never a day when I don't think about Max, Suzan and Fed. Though, you and Meg are helping me recover from those tragic memories, especially you."

The doctor gave a modest response to the boy's compliment, "it's my job. I have to see that all teens that come to the center leave it as happy souls."

Joey smiled and said, "I agree it is part of your job but I have never seen other doctors taking so many efforts to bring the change in teens. You have not only made me come out of the loneliness but it is because of you that I was able to make friends like Meg and you. Thank you for always being there for me."

Felix blushed as he smiled and said, "Wow! I never knew my friend's little brother has grown so mature. I am amazed to see the progress you have made. I think it's only a matter of one month and then you can go back home." Joey got elated when he heard these words, but at the same time reality dawned upon him that going away from the center would mean going away from the person whom he had grown fond of.

"Did you like the food?” the doctor asked. Joey, with a lump in his throat, replied "yes, indeed. Thank you for such a great dinner."

Felix said "Mom would be so proud of me", as both of them chuckled. "Would you like to take a walk outside? I have this habit of going for walks after dinner", the doctor said.

"Yes, I would love to, but let me keep the dishes in kitchen first", Joey got up and picked up both plates. Felix held his wrist and said "you are my guest and I should be the one keeping the dishes", as Joey protested "I am your friend and you know how stubborn I am."

"Okay, I give up. I am waiting outside", Felix got up and walked out of the house. Joey came out after few seconds and they both started taking stroll. "Don't you get bored living here alone?” the boy asked.

Felix smiled and said, "I used to, but time teaches us to adapt. That's why I like spending more time at the center. I have some friends who come over for the weekend, so now I am quite used to the routine."

"You got any girlfriend?” Joey asked though he was apprehensive asking this question.

The doctor was taken off guard by Joey’s question as he asked him back “why do you ask?” This made the boy even more nervous as he murmured “Never mind. It was just an inappropriate question”. He further chuckled “Out of the blue”. He was looking here and there as Felix put an arm around his shoulder. “Relax! Your question was not inappropriate. You just surprised me asking that question, since you are the first guy who has asked me this question”, the doctor tried to make Joey comfortable. Though, unknowingly, he made him even more self-conscious.

“I think ..uh… I think it’s time to return to the center. Thank you for an amazing evening Felix”, Joey smiled. “Hey, are you still feeling awkward after I questioned you back? If you are, then let me tell you that I am happily single. My Mom, the center and my friends are enough to keep me busy”, the doctor smiled. Joey felt a sense of relief after hearing that there was nobody in the love life of Felix, but he felt that he shouldn't spoil the newly developed friendship due to any haste on his part.

“So, you want to get back to the center?” the doctor asked. Even though Joey didn't want to leave the company of Felix, but in order to pretend that his earlier statement did not come because of the doctor’s question, he said “yeah. I am feeling a bit sleepy.”

“Okay bud. Let me collect the car keys”, the doctor gave a hug to Joey who enjoyed the embrace, even if it was for mere seconds.

Copyright © 2015 CreativeRomantic; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..