Jump to content
    D.K. Daniels
  • Author
  • 1,046 Words
  • 3,942 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
p style="text-align:center;"> You can grab a copy of HILN via Amazon and Google, links via my website if you'd like to support me.

I have written many adventure, drama and romance books with LGBTQI+ characters. Visit my website to browse my full bibliography. You can also sign up for my mailing list to ensure you don't miss any fun future updates. 

View Website

How I Live Now - 2. Day 2.

I made it… The people at the border patrol stopped me for a few minutes in St. Clement. They kept asking me if I was in any way, distressed or needed help. I'm not sure what that was supposed to imply, but if I seemed suspicious, it was too damn close. Possibly they were curious as I was a bit anxious, but who isn't? The presence is menacing. Whenever I traveled before today, I hated it. I remember when I was younger, I got so worked up about not getting stopped at a checkpoint for something as a stupid water bottle I'd forget to remove from my backpack. The TSA scare me, but I reckon that is their job title, and if it keeps people safe, who I am to complain?
After I touched down, made my way through customs, I really did have to use the bathroom. I pee when I get nervous. I don't really have a plan as such. I figured I'd hang around St. Clement and see a few of the sights before trying to find work. Plus, I don't feel like going business to business canvassing for work just now. Sure, I got some sleep on the plane, but it's not nearly enough to help me keep my eyes open all day. I just ate, and I needed it. It's not much, just some deli sandwich from an airport kiosk. It was brown bread - lots of butter, some egg, cheese, and mayo. It's not five-star standards, but food is food when you are hungry.

I'm sitting on a bench watching all the taxis and busses leaving for central St. Clement. I'll check the prices online in a few minutes, but my android could do with a charge. It's a little colder than I thought it was going to be, but it's like 8 AM, so it's still early in the day. I'm going to stop by the tourist information booth here at the airport before I leave, and maybe I could do with buying a hat. Oh, and finding a place to stay, I don't want to be lugging around my carry-on bag all day; my backpack is enough. You know, I almost feel like Kevin McCallister from Home Alone 2, just minus a huge suitcase and some weird recorder device. The only thing we have in common is about $700 in our wallets.

My eye is hurting me a little bit; it's almost like I can still feel the punch Dad gave me, but maybe it's all inside my imagination. I'm still not sure if this is the best idea in the world. Running away. But I'd rather be on my own than take that shit every day. Mom messaged me on WhatsApp, but I haven't replied to her yet. I also just remembered that I forgot my toothbrush. Yeah… I have a dog's breath. I'll have to stop by a pharmacy. The weather forecast says it is supposed to be dry for the entire afternoon, so that's something. I'm going to get motoring now and see what I can do about getting settled for the night.

***

Right so I got the bus to a place called Lincoln Park; it's quite big, and it reminds me of Central Park, but it's less crowded. The fare for the journey was only $7.50, but I am not worried; it didn't cost that much. I still have plenty of money. I found this hotel not far from the park; there is no view. From my bedroom window, I am rewarded with some glorious scenery. Well, if air ducts, drainpipes, and skylights are your thing. Or, if you are a Peeping Tom, stay at the Browne Hotel on Hurst Avenue. I brushed my teeth, and it feels so much better. I don't know why, but I still have the overwhelming urge to sleep too.

Just, I don't want to do it at 11 AM. I took a few broachers from the information booth at the airport. I steered clear of the ones that were breweries or distilleries. I picked up one for some railroad Museum. It's called St. Clement Locomotive steam Museum, and it's free. So I thought I'd kill some time, not that trains are my thing, but what's even better: it's a free attraction. Not to myself... I still need to find a hat. I'm going to jump in the shower before I go out, but I'm starting to feel a little homesick already.

***

I can't stop yawning, and my eyes are almost shutting without me having to tell them it's time to go to sleep. Maybe it was that big pizza I got on the way home… I mean to the hotel. Somehow my appetite was a lot bigger than I surmised, and I ate the entire thing. Now I feel bloated and heavy, like one of those pregnant frogs on the Discovery Channel. I know it's still early. Jeez... 8 'o clock. But maybe it would do me a world of good if I got some good shut-eye. I wasn't afforded the best night's snooze on the plane, and I couldn't relax with all the thoughts running through my head or with the turbulence. So, I might turn in for the night.

Oh, before I forget, I spent a lot longer in the rail museum than I anticipated. It looks small from the outside, but the building goes back a good bit, and I got talking to this kid about my age. Perhaps he was a bit younger. He was in a wheelchair, a nice guy, kinda cute, and he was telling me a little bit about the history and how his Dad loved to bring him there, or at least when he was younger. I think the guy's name was Izaiah, Ivar or… Isaac. I think it was Isaac. Either way, it was nice having a little company. He was the only person I spoke with all day other than the girl who took my pizza order. Anyway, I'm going to set the alarm on my phone for 8 AM and go looking for other stuff to see tomorrow, I don't know, yet. I'm going to go before I pass out.

Talk soon,
Kyle

Copyright © 2021 D.K. Daniels; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 9
p style="text-align:center;"> Thanks for reading, comments are welcome, and I reply to all. 

Merry Christmas to everyone, I hope you all have a lovely holiday. Sign up to my mailing list, a free short story will be coming out soon for Xmas.

 

Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Loving the descriptions of Kyle's journey.

I have a few neat plans; I can't wait to share them and see what people think. I wanted to add some adventure to my writing so; lets hope people like the progression. Thanks for the comment. :)

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Kyle seems to be quite comfortable for a 17 year old being on his own.  I think I would be terrified! However leaving an abusive father is real motivation!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, KayDeeMac said:

Kyle seems to be quite comfortable for a 17 year old being on his own.  I think I would be terrified! However leaving an abusive father is real motivation!

Good observation; I have touched on this a little bit later in the story. It's like when you get something new; there's a mystical aura to it, then reality sets in. I hope did it justice. Enjoy the story :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..