Jump to content
    dkstories
  • Author
  • 7,879 Words
  • 6,281 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>

Harry Potter and the Sword of Gryffindor - 11. Chapter 11

Breakfast was quite a noisy affair that next morning. People were shouting about everything from the swords Harry and Draco had worn the night before, to what the new classes would be. Shacklebolt Kingsley sat at the high table and was the subject of much conversation himself. Neither Harry nor Draco showed until quite late into the meal. Draco had not liked the way their expensive designer robes had bunched up with the sword belts, so he had spent an hour with tailoring spells until he figured out that they could belt the swords on under their robes and then have a slit in the robes through which the hilts would stick out.

Harry was still trying to get use to sitting down and even moving without tripping over the damn thing. Draco just looked elegant with his, and it made him jealous. Of course that nice big dark spot on Draco's otherwise pale neck made him smile. He'd given it to him just this morning after a particularly nasty comment about Harry's clumsiness.

Hermione and Ron were all questions, having recovered from last night's snogging a little better. They even pulled the "we've been through everything together card" but Harry refused to budge on why he was wearing a sword, where his Head Boy badge was, and what the new badge meant. Ron was positively furious and Harry looked forward to the pole-axed expression on his face when Dumbledore made the announcement. Of course he should have known he was bound to be disappointed.

Dumbledore stood before most of the people were done and encouraged them to continue eating while he spoke, something Ron didn't have to be told twice. Naturally Hermione stopped eating and faced Dumbledore immediately. Harry wanted to keep eating but saw Draco glaring at him and mouthing "manners". Damn him and his "manners".

"Students, staff, Professors," Dumbledore began. "It is so good to see you all well-rested and cheerful, except for Mr. Potter for some reason. Mayhap he came in too late and someone wants him to mind his manners and not eat while someone else is talking. Don't worry, Mr. Potter, go ahead and eat up."

DAMN than man! Harry was fuming as everyone laughed, including Draco. Glaring back at the blond git, he stabbed a sausage off of his plate and bit into it viciously. Of course some grease had to spit out, hitting Hermione on the cheek and earning him another smack and a glare. The hall erupted in laughter again and Harry scarfed down the remainder of the sausage before Dumbledore began again.

"Oh, well. It looks like he's been hopelessly corrupted by Mr. Malfoy and will now have to live with manners. Five points to Slytherin for taming the untameable." Dumbledore again got laughter, while Draco got slaps on the back and a cheer from Slytherin. Gryffindors glared at the old man like he was crazy. "Yes, yes, enough about Mr. Potter and his manners. Oh darn, I do still need to speak about him. Sorry old boy. Now let's see here, where did I put it? Oh yes, here it is. As most of you have been discussing all morning, Mr. Potter last night returned his Head Boy badge. I regret that I must agree with that he will be far too busy with his other duties to fill that post adequately. Now, before anyone reacts, I urge you to use patience. I'm sure once we're done this morning you will agree with me that Mr. Potter has many other things to do. Therefore I have chosen Mr. Ronald Weasley to replace him!"

The halls erupted in cheers, and Ron who had been paying more attention to stuffing his face with a sausage and biscuit than what Dumbledore was saying joined in the cheering his mouth half-full. Fortunately for him, Hermione hit his arm and told him to go up to Dumbledore. Confused, he took a swig of juice to wash down the food before he went up to Dumbledore. He took the badge the man offered and started to return to this seat when he realized what it was.

"Wait a minute!" He barked out in a heavy accent. "This 'ere's the Head Boy badge. I'm Head Boy?!"

The hall erupted into laughter as he wandered back to his seat and Hermione began furiously rubbing the bits of bread off of the front of his robe. They sat down with her whispering furiously at him and he tried to apologize to Harry who shrugged him off with a smile, grabbing another sausage before Dumbledore spoke again.

Draco gave him another glare. It was starting to feel like old times and he smiled back. The glare turned into a scowl. Yep, like old times.

"Now I know all of you are anxiously awaiting to see the new course we will offer for the term, but that will have to wait until I inform you of some staffing changes." Dumbledore continued as the hubbub died down a bit. "First of all, the D.A. sessions that have offered will now be doubled. One session for second through fourth year students will be offered from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. each evening. A second session for fifth through seventh year students will be offered from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. They will be offered six nights a week and I encourage every student to attend at least once every other week. Sign up sheets will be posted each morning. Since a Professor will be monitoring each session, group size will be increased to fifty each session.

"Now, as you know, due to circumstances beyond our control, last year's Defense Against the Dark Arts was not quite adequate to prepare students for the times we face. In order to correct that, all second, third and fourth year classes are to be changed to double classes. Because of this, Professor Lupin will no longer be able to teach the first year students. Professor Kingsley is likewise occupied and unable to spare the time. With the recent opening of training schools all over the nation, the Ministry is seriously short staffed and unable to find a suitable instructor as well. Therefore we have decided to take a most unusual measure."

"Blimey, bet you Snape finally gets his wish." Ron whispered, and Harry quickly accepted, betting him a galleon. He knew Ron didn't have it, but he never planned to collect. That galleon would be hanging over Ron's head for the rest of his life.

"Accordingly, the Ministry has issued a special directive to help us fix the problem." Dumbledore said, and every student except the first years groaned, remembering the directives from last year. "Yes, yes, hmm, I seem to have left it in my office so I will just have to summarize. The Ministry has recognized the need of Hogwarts for a basic instructor in first-year Defense Against the Dark Arts, and based on a solid, proven history of excellent work in this field…"

"Blimey, don't tell me Lockhart got his memory back!" Ron squealed to Harry.

"…the Ministry is proud to grant a temporary, one-time, teaching certificate for First Year Defense Against the Dark classes only, to Harry James Potter."

As Dumbledore finished, the Hall became so quiet that the loudest sound was a feather finally dropping to the floor from the morning mail deliveries. Hermione stared at Harry with wide eyes, and Ron's mouth was hanging open. Then the cheers started with the first year Gryffindors, soon followed by the others, except for Ron who leaned in to whisper "Bloody hell, Harry! You nuts? That position's cursed, you here me? Cursed!"

Harry stood and waved, then sat back down. Hermione just hugged him and told him she knew he'd do great what with all the studying he was finally doing. Ron finally congratulated him as well, but still muttered about the position being cursed and started listing all the faults of the teachers they'd had from Voldemort in disguise to a nice werewolf to that "Umbridge thingy".

"Now, I want to stress a couple of things. Mr. Potter is still a student at this school. His only authority from this position will exist while he is in the classroom. While he is that classroom, I expect students to give him the same respect they would any other teacher. He is to be called 'sir' or 'teacher' or 'Mr. Potter'. He will be able to give detention and take house points, within reason, for misbehaviour, as well as to give house points for excellent work. Professor Lupin will monitor his work.

"Now, let's see, where did I put them. Oh yes. Many of you might have seen a new badge being worn by Mr. Potter, see I have to mention him again. Must be careful or his head will swell and then he won't be able to fit through the doors! Oh yes, where was I? Yes, the badges Mr. Potter and Mr. Malfoy are wearing. Quite pretty they are indeed. I charmed them myself. These badges are a sign of the difficult times we live in. They are a sign of a new organization I am creating within Hogwarts. This will be called the 'Defenders of Hogwarts'. While I hope such a thing may never happen, we must admit that someday the enemy will seek to attack our school. We must be prepared for that if it does happen. While our staff is most capable, and in the event of an attack I have every faith in their ability to repel hundreds of Death Eaters, I must also be concerned for the safety of you, our students.

"Since having to guard students and repel any such attack would be a heavy burden for the Professors alone, and since the Ministry cannot spare a platoon of Aurors, we have decided to form the Defenders who will be charged with protecting the students while the Professors deal with any threat. Mr. Potter, with Mr. Malfoy as his second, will lead this group. Professor Kingsley shall instruct them in advanced defense techniques. Now let me make this clear, I am choosing the best, strongest students in Defense Against the Dark Arts. They are not prefects. They cannot give out detentions, but if there is an emergency at the school, you must obey them. To do otherwise would be most tragic for everyone."

A silence descended over the hall as those words sank in. Harry looked at Ron who was staring at him like he was insane. Hermione had a look of sympathy on her face for some reason. Both reactions made him uneasy.

"You may have also noticed the swords being worn by Mr. Potter and Mr. Malfoy." Dumbledore continued before the silence grew unbearable. "Last night they were inducted into the ancient Order of the Knights of Merlin. As members of this ancient Order, they are allowed to wear the symbols of their membership, these swords. Others among the Defenders may one day be selected to join the Order and if they do, they too will be allowed to wear a sword as a symbol of that office. No one else is to assume that they are given permission to roam the school armed other than with their wand. Punishment will be dire for any who do so. As both Mr. Potter and Mr. Malfoy are aware, even drawing their weapon without due cause is reason for expulsion from Hogwarts and the destruction of their wands. Such an honor is not given lightly. Now after consultation with both of them, I have selected the remaining members of the Defenders of Hogwarts. I ask each of you to come forward and accept your badge. Mr. Potter will hold a meeting in his quarters immediately following lunch. All will be required to be there. If you feel you cannot perform your new duties following that meeting, please inform either Mr. Potter or Mr. Malfoy and they will make all due arrangements. Mr. Potter, will you please come up here and read the names from this scroll?"

Harry stood up, aware of all eyes on him. Ron's eyes were filled with hope that he would be selected, but Harry had a pretty good idea his name wasn't on the list. As he took the list and scrolled down it quickly he saw he was right, and wondered how upset Ron would really be. Standing a little bit straighter, he cleared his throat softly before beginning.

"Justin Fitch-Fletchey, Hufflepuff!"
"Mikaela Rosmartins, Ravenclaw"
"Fred Weasley, Gryffindor"
"Blaise Zabini, Slytherin"
"Tomais Delleray, Hufflepuff"
"Juliana del Merrin, Ravenclaw"
"Neville Longbottom, Gryffindor"
"Gregory Goyle, Slytherin"

The gasps at that name caused him to look up from the list as a stunned Goyle stood up. As he joined the others who were lining up beside Harry and accepted the badge from Dumbledore, Harry whispered just loud enough for him to hear, "The charade ends now". Goyle just nodded, a sad look on his face. Harry looked back down at the list and continued.

"Jolina Farflyer, Hufflepuff"
"Arianna Marshouse, Ravenclaw"
"George Weasley, Gryffindor"
"Vincent Crabbe, Slytherin"

Harry thought it was clever of the old man to separate George and Fred like that, make the twins think they'd be separated by something at last. He had a cruel streak in him after all. As Crabbe got his badge and passed Harry, the large young man scowled, then shrugged slightly. They both realized the dumb routine was out the window from this day forward, although their full allegiances would still remain secret. Having Voldemort think they might help lower defenses in any attack would be a plus for them.

"Defenders." Harry called out firmly, having read the note that followed the names. "It is our job to protect our fellow students. Nothing more, nothing less. I expect the best from each and every one of you at all times. Meet in my quarters following lunch for details of your duties. Dismissed."

They all moved back to their places to the applause of their fellow students. As Harry neared his seat, he noticed that Hermione was now entrenched next to Ron, obviously consoling him as he she fingered his Head Boy badge. When Harry sat down, he glared at him and whispered, "I'm just not good enough, huh?"

"No," Harry replied fiercely. "We needed someone to be head boy and both Dumbledore and I didn't feel like splitting up the twins. Besides, neither of them are fit for Head Boy, but YOU are."

"Oh," Ron said weakly, then shrugged. "I can live with that."

Hermione harrumphed in frustration, Harry just shook his head and felt slimy. He'd lied to Ron, to his face and Ron didn't even notice. He'd never been good at lying, but now they rolled off his tongue like honey. Speaking of honey, he looked and met the proudly beaming eyes of a certain blond Slytherin. Thoughts of lying to Ron disappeared from his head, thoughts of anything disappeared until Draco looked towards the high table as Dumbledore spoke again.

"Now, on to the last piece of business for the day. I am sure you are all eagerly awaiting to hear what new courses are being offered." Dumbledore clapped his hands and three great charts appeared above the Professors, the writing on them big enough for all to see. "Here is a list of the classes, and the material they will cover from battlefield healing magic and potions to Advanced Defense Against the Dark Arts. Those courses requiring specific O.W.L. scores to qualify are listed. All text books and school supplies for these courses will be supplied free of charge for this term only. Next term you will buy your supplies when you receive your letters. Professors teaching these courses will remain in the great hall throughout the morning to answer your questions, and after lunch as well. Once you have decided what courses, if any you would like to change, you will write your name, your old course and the new course on a parchment and deliver it to your Head of House here in the hall. If a course is filled before you choose to take it, you will have to wait until next year. All courses will be taught multi-house. You will be in these courses with people from every house, so you will be expected to maintain good behaviour. Have fun!"

With those last words, Dumbledore turned and left as the hall erupted in pandemonium with students rushing the high table to besiege the Professors. Ron and Hermione leaped up to join the throng, and Harry soon found himself alone at the table, except for Fred and George who slid down and proceeded to chew him out. For some reason they though he'd picked them to keep them from causing mischief. When he idly pointed out they knew the castle's hidden tunnels and secret rooms better than anyone and wouldn't those be great places to hide students and protect, both young men started planning not only which would be best to use, but how their different gags could be used to aid in the defense. Harry was just shaking his head when Snape's voice behind him surprised him.

"Mr. Potter," Snape still used a vicious tone when addressing him. "A word with you in my office please."

Harry got up, turned around and raised an eyebrow when he saw Draco behind the Professor. Each followed Snape out of the great hall, looking like knights with their swords guarding a great lord whose black cloak billowed out impressively. It really was sad that the great exit was only observed by Professor McGonagall who frowned at it with a worried look.

The trip down to Snape's office was quiet at least. Draco and he shared confused looks, so obviously neither knew what this was about. Had Snape somehow figured out their 'bending' of the rules last night? Was he going to ream them out about that? They finally got into Snape's office and he motioned them into two chairs They sat warily, after figuring out how to configure their swords for these chairs. Snape just frowned even more at those swords.

"I don't even want to hear a rumor of either of you sticking someone with those blades." Was the first thing he said when they were seated. Both nodded silently. "Well, we better get this over with. While the rest of the children stress their minds over the possibility of changing their courses, you two will actually be learning. Mr. Potter, we will begin with reviewing Legilimancy. When you have mastered the ability with me, I will begin instructing Mr. Malfoy on Occlumensy. When he is sufficiently prepared, the two of you will practice. We wish to take no risks that either he or his father can use him the way you were used. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Professor." Harry replied, his mouth dry. "Professor, is there any way I can speak to you alone for a few minutes. I'm sorry, Draco, but this is something I can't decide to share with you."

"I believe I know what you wish to speak about, Potter." Snape snapped, his face clouded with anger. "Don't you think we should let the matter lie where it is?

"No, sir." Harry said softly. "I owe you an apology and an explanation."

"Then describe for your fiancé what happened and why you want to say what you want to say." Snape said a little more calmly. "He deserves to know you better."

"Yes, sir." Harry said, hanging his head a little. "Last year, Professor Dumbledore asked Professor Snape to teach me Occlumensy in order to prevent him from using me through my scar."

"You already told me about that, Harry." Draco said softly, a look of concern on his face.

"I know." Harry said, pausing to gather a breath. "What I didn't tell you is that I violated the trust of Professor Snape by glancing into his pensieve. There I saw a memory of a vile joke played by my godfather on Professor Snape when they were both students. My father's reaction was even more embarrassing. It was not pretty and it made me think a lot of bad things about my father, Sirius, and about Professor Snape. Professor Snape, I'm sorry I looked into your memories without your permission. They are your memories and I had no right to do that. I was angry, confused, and I lashed out at you based on groundless suspicions. I'm sorry. I…I also wanted to thank you for trying to prevent me from seeing a less than ideal image of my dad. I appreciate that. I was also angry for a long time because I thought your fight with Sirius in the kitchen that day, the way you taunted him, made him run off to rescue me. I was wrong about that as well."

Snape looked floored. He stared at Harry for the longest time, and his eyes felt like they were boring into his very soul. Finally, Snape nodded slowly, and his face softened.

"10 points to Gryffindor." Snape said softly, and Harry jumped in surprise as Snape continued. "I thought all those honors and special privileges you just got in the hall would have swelled your head and that you would become an insufferable git like you were before Draco here started to tame you. I'm glad to see that you've proven yourself worthy of my having stood for you at your engagement. I accept your apologies, and I also wish to extend my own apologies. I forgot last year that I was dealing with a fifteen year old boy who has not had the easiest life. I gave you no reason to trust me, and every reason to hate me. When you looked into my memories, I was angry that you had seen the most embarrassing moment of my life, and that I had somehow lessened your own opinion of your father. No son should have that happen, especially when they never knew their father."

"Thank you, sir." Harry said just as softly, and felt himself feel something other than hate for this man. It felt good to end the anger between them.

"My family, my friends, in private like here, call me Severus. I would be honored if you would do so."

"Please," Harry said, smiling a little. Draco just nodded.

"Now, I believe we have a lesson to conduct?" Severus Snape said with a wicked smile. For some reason Harry just smiled.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The rest of the day passed far too quickly for Harry. Lunch was a blur through the headache he had. The meeting with the newly appointed Defenders proved to take far longer, and a lot more diplomacy than he could have imagined. Thankfully it was Draco who handled the personality conflicts with a style and ease that Harry admired. It was settled then that Draco'd be handling a lot of those type of problems for them.

By the time night came around, Harry was exhausted. Of course the new Defender's patrols didn't help. He'd scheduled George with one of the Ravenclaws and Draco had insisted that he get up at 3:00 a.m. and go say hi to them. They'd been surprised to see him at 3:00 a.m., but Draco made a comment that they were more likely to stay alert if they never knew when Harry might be lurking around a corner in his invisibility cloak.

Only a Slytherin would think that way.

The first potions class of the new term was pure hell. Snape had them starting with a disapparation blocking potion that took two weeks to brew and was extremely sensitive to the slightest mistake. Harry blew theirs up on the first day, making them start over all again. What followed Potions was even worse for Harry. It was his first DADA class as a teacher.

He walked into the room, with Draco following him, haranguing him about messing up their potion. Both stopped dead when they looked at the students sitting at their desks, and Harry suddenly felt very, very old. Every single one of the young Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw kids were quiet as a stone as he looked at them, and they stared back. From behind him, he heard Draco mumble something about being too young to feel so old and next thing he knew, he was standing there alone. He took a deep breath, realizing that it was up to him now. He was the teacher. Was this how Remus had felt the first time he'd stood in front of a class? He was only five years older than these kids, why did he suddenly feel so damn old?

"Okay." He said, breaking the silence. Everyone jumped, and then some nervous laughter filled the room. Harry joined in. "I don't know who's more scared here, the lot of you or me."

"You're Harry Potter, you don't get scared." One of the kids near the back of the room said in hoarse whisper. She looked horrified when every eye focused on her. "Oops."

"Right now, I am not ashamed to say that I was less terrified the last time I met Voldemort than I am right now." Harry told her honesty.

"Why are you terrified?" One of the Ravenclaw students asked in an analytical tone.

"Because I've never taught a class before." Harry said with a laugh. "But, well I learned a long time ago that when I was scared my best bet was to just jump in, so let's get started."

"Typical Gryffindor." Came a snort from the doorway.

"10 points from Slytherin for disrespecting the teacher." Harry announced.

"Hey!" Draco exclaimed. "You can't do that. There's no Slytherin students in this class."

"You're here Draco, and either get down here and get ready to help or leave me to teach."

"Oh, alright, you win." Draco said, coming and sitting down on the stool Harry pointed towards.

"The first rule of beating a dark wizard is to never, ever, let him think he has the upper hand." Harry said to the class, getting a laugh as he circled around Draco, who pouted. The expression on Draco's face changed as Harry's back turned towards him. In a flash, his wand was out, and his "Expelliarmus" sent Harry's wand flying across the room.

"The first rule of losing to a dark wizard is to turn your back on him." Draco said, as he summoned Harry's wand before giving it back to him with a flourish. Harry smiled, stepped back, then hit Draco with a Stupify! As Draco slumped to the floor, Harry turned back to the students who were staring at him wide-eyed.

"The second rule of beating a wizard is never, ever give you enemy his weapon back once you've got it." Harry said, and shuddered when he saw the entire Ravenclaw section writing down his every word. He unfroze Draco and immediately started calling students down work on their disarming charm.

Poor Draco was the target for most of them.

At the end of the class, just before dismissing them, he offered fifty points to the first student who successfully knocked his wand out of his hand. He was pleased that five of them tried it on their way out, not waiting for the next class session. Then a few minutes later, Gryffindor first years sauntered in and their Slytherin counterparts slithered in. He groaned inwardly when he noticed two Slytherin first-years whispering then sniggering as he got ready to start the class. He wasn't close enough to hear, but Draco was.

"50 points from Slytherin for insulting a teacher!" He roared, his face going red in anger. Harry rushed over to try to calm him down, but Draco just glared at the two boys until they hung their heads.

"I think the class is ready to listen to you now, Mr. Potter." Draco said formally after taking a few deep breaths. He moved to the stool and set down in the absolutely silent classroom.

"Right, well let's get started." Harry said. "Who would like to volunteer to demonstrate the Expelliarmus charm?"

"Isn't that just a basic charm? What use is it, really?" A Gryffindor Harry vaguely recognized asked.

"Expelliarmus!" Draco shouted and Harry's wand went flying. His summons brought Harry's wand back to his hand and he pointed both at the Gryffindor.

"Just how dangerous is a wizard without his wand?" Draco asked the shocked student. Harry just smiled as Draco got up and handed his wand back to him.

"Right, so who wants to demonstrate their skill?" Harry asked, picking one from each house to practice against both Draco and he.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Honestly, Harry had not meant to send Professor Severus Snape running from his office, screaming in terror. It was the man's fault really. He wasn't to blame that a group of Slytherin third years were passing and saw the man run screaming at the top of lungs about Potter's sick, perverted mind. It wasn't his fault that the school was rife with rumors about Draco and Harry wanting a three-way with the greasy haired Potions Professor and Head of Slytherin House.

It just took him a week to figure out how to put the rumor to rest as being nothing more than a practical joke.

Not that anyone really believed the rumor for more than a moment of sheer horror. It was just too good of an opportunity to unhinge the most irritatingly serious Professor in the school. Even Dumbledore joined in with a speech at dinner one day about the importance of the number three in many magical arts. It finally ended when, during a potions class Snape announced from across the room that if he and Draco were suffering problems in their relationship he knew of many ways to fix them. The bright blushing from both Harry and Draco ended the round of jokes at the expense of the Potions Professor.

Then it was Ron and Hermione's turn when they were caught snogging in the Prefect's bathroom by one of the Hufflepuff Prefects, who just happened to mention it to Lavender Brown in Transfigurations. That bit of gossip was the talk of the school for another week. Then it was a blooming romance between a fifth year Slytherin and sixth year Ravenclaw.

Dumbledore explained to Harry why he didn't stamp down on such gossip, and even encouraged it (he'd been the one to send a first year Gryffindor into the back section of the library where she saw the Slytherin/Ravenclaw snogging away. The tension at the school needed a relief mechanism, and there was nothing like juicy gossip to relieve tensions. That's why, when he and Draco had gotten into a small argument who was doing better in sword fighting, he didn't try to squash the rumors of trouble in paradise, and of course his and Draco's attempts to keep the rumor going by staging even more fights didn't help matters any.

So that was why they were here, now, on the Quidditch pitch with wooden swords hacking away at each other while half the school cheered one or the other. Draco really was beautiful. He moved with a grace that was almost catlike, and always came within a hair of distracting Harry. As Draco had shown him very clearly many times, his penchant for being distracted easily was his biggest problem. Harry thought he'd mastered it, but then Draco would just have to make a lunge with perfect, natural grace and mess it up again. That's why he tripped and managed to twist his ankle and end up in the infirmary with a clucking Madame Pomfrey getting a potion ready.

"Honestly, Harry." She was saying in her usual mothering tones, "Can't we go at least one term without me seeing you here as a patient?"

"I try, Madame Pomfrey," Harry said with his most ravishing smile, "but you drive me so crazy I find it all but impossible to stay away."

"Oh my," She blushed, "You have been hanging around with that Malfoy far too much. I don't ever remember you being this…flirtatious."

"Stay away from my man." Draco said in a cool voice, and then chuckled lightly. He'd been more open himself lately, at least around Professors and certain friends of Harry's.

"Come to see your handiwork?" Harry sneered in a mock angry tone.

"Of course, Potter." Draco sneered back, loving every moment of it. "Always have to make sure I've messed you up with my Malfoy wiles."

"You boys." Pomfrey clucked as she held a potion for Harry to drink. "I always wondered how long it would take you two to hook up and admit you cared for each other."

"Right." Draco said, nodding his head in a patronizing manner.

"Accio Journal." Pomfrey said with a smile, pulling her wand out and summoning a large journal. She flipped about halfway through the book before pointing out an entry she had written. Both Harry and Draco read it, and then shook their heads in disgust. Sure enough, she'd written during their first year that wondered how long it would be before they realized they were meant to be a couple.

"Shouldn't you be teaching Divination?" Harry muttered in disgust.

"No magic, dear." She said with a laugh. "Just careful observation. McGonagall was betting that it would have happened last year, but then she didn't expect Umbridge."

"Was there anyone who wasn't betting on us?" Draco shouted in disgust.

"Just Ron Weasley." Pomfrey chuckled as he checked Harry's ankle again. "Okay, up you go Mr. Potter. I'd say good luck tomorrow, but I don't know which of you I'll be rooting for."

"Thanks, Madame Pomfrey." Harry said with a smile as Draco started clucking over him like a hen with one chick. It was going to be a long night.

Sure enough, it was a long enough. Harry laid there in bed, on his back, his shoulder touching Draco's and their hands entwined. Harry knew Draco was awake as well, but neither really felt like talking. Finally he drifted off to sleep, still feeling like something major was coming to an end.

The last class of the day was over, and as Harry changed into his scarlet Quidditch robes, he could hear the thrum of excitement as students, professors, and guests filled the stands. Ron was in his prime as Captain of the Team, getting everyone hyped up. Everyone except Harry and when he noticed this, he immediately went to Harry's side.

"Harry, what's wrong?" Ron said with concern in his voice.

"Nothing, wrong. Just a little sad." Harry murmured.

"You're not going to…" Ron said, not even voiced his darkest fears about a match between Harry and Draco.

"Not even if hell froze over would I ever throw a match…even for Draco." Harry nearly snarled. The brief bout of anger felt good, but it was soon replaced with sadness that the bags under his eyes only accented.

"Then what could it possibly be…" Ron wondered aloud, then his eyes grew round as he noticed the bags under his friend's eyes and remembered all of his comments to Hermione about being tired. "No, Harry, you can't quit."

"Should have known you'd figure it out." Harry sighed, speaking softly. "Draco and I are going to announce it after the game. We're both quitting our teams to concentrate on…other things."

"Harry, no!" Ron whispered fiercely. "You love flying, you love Quidditch. It's the only fun thing I see you doing anymore. Everything else is class, everything else is defense this or defense that. You have to let yourself have fun sometimes!"

"Sorry, Ron." Harry said simply. "We decided."

"We decided?" Ron sneered. "That's all you do lately. Talk about what you and Draco decide. What about your friends, Harry, do we get to help you decide anything anymore?"

"Ron, now's not the time." Harry said as a roar went up from the crowd outside. It was time for the Gryffindor team to take the field.

"We will discuss this later." Ron hissed, his face full of anger as he stormed towards the pitch, followed by Harry and the rest of the team.

An hour later, Gryffindor was leading Slytherin by forty points, and the snitch hadn't been spotted once. Whether that was because it wasn't around, or that both seekers were paying more attention to each other than to looking for the snitch, no one was sure. Then again, both teams had stopped twice to watch the wild acrobatics that were going on between the two seekers.

Hermione nearly fainted when both of them stood up on their brooms, then jumped across to ride the other person's broom. Once they'd switched back, and Harry had feinted into a dive as if he'd spotted the snitch, Ron flew up next to him and chewed him out about playing footsies with the opposing team.

Naturally that was when the snitch did show, and Draco spotted it first. Fortunately for Harry, he saw it just a second later, and was closer as he went into looping dive meant to place him at the snitch just to the right and above Draco. Of course the snitch had other ideas and took off at a horrendously fast pace.

The chase was on, and the two boys were caught up in the chase. Bludgers came out of nowhere, nearly knocking both off their brooms twice, but in the end, it came down a neck to neck race. Draco kicked at Harry's broom, Harry shoved an elbow into Draco's side. They were both cursing at each other so loudly everyone could hear them.

Harry felt alive at that moment and totally forgot all the other things that had been weighing his heart down.

Some sixth sense hit him then, and he swerved a little to the right, just as the snitch moved in that direction, and it all but fell into his hands. He landed quickly and was soon surrounded by his teammates, all hugging him and cheering. Then a flash of green wormed its way between the players and he was wrapped into a big hug by Draco, the blond boy's eyes shining with pride.

They left the field together surrounded by most of both teams. For once the Slytherin/Gryffindor rivalry didn't erupt into blows, but congratulations on a well flown chase. Neither noticed that the Gryffindor Captain stayed behind, staring at them while the wind ruffled his red hair. Nor did they notice the dark form of a young woman wearing a Ravenclaw badge slip up beside him and strike up a conversation.

The party at dinner was loud. The Gryffindor table was rowdy, boisterous, and all but out of control. Even when Dumbledore stood, they took a while to calm down. When they did however, what he had to say totally killed most of their good cheer.

"A most well-played game of Quidditch." Dumbledore said in a light tone. "I doubt I ever remember seeing two seekers show such skill on their brooms, or even fight so hard for the snitch without breaking a single rule! Alas, that it will be the last such display for the year. I am sorrowed to announce that I have been informed by Professors Snape and McGonagall that Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy have submitted their resignations from their House teams."

The Gryffindor table was horrified. Shouts of "NO!", "It's not true!", and "You can't do that!" filled the room. The Slytherins just looked at Draco like he had betrayed them. There were even protests from the Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw tables.

"Now, now." Dumbledore said sternly. "Both young men felt that they were no longer able to give their full attention to their teams. They have both missed many practices because of their other duties and felt their teams deserved Seekers who could more fully be a part of the team. Tryouts will be held next Tuesday for the Gryffindor position, and next Wednesday for the Slytherin position. Good night, students."

Before Harry could stand, Ron and Seamus had grabbed both his arms and were moving for the doors, dragging him with them. The entire Gryffindor House surrounded them and when Draco came near, one of the seventh years shouted "Sod off Malfoy! This is Gryffindor business."

Harry became enraged when he heard that and pulled his arms free. Before he could do anything else though, Hermione stepped in front of him and informed him in no uncertain terms that he would go with them. Sullenly, and with his temper burning inside him, he followed them up the staircases to the Gryffindor common room.

The warm, comfortable room with its worn furniture and worn rugs had seemed like home once, but he felt distinctly uncomfortable as he stood in the middle of it with every Gryffindor taking all the chairs, couches, and every place there was to sit. Silence filled the room until Ron stood up.

"Harry," he began in a firm tone, his eyes flashing at his hold friend in suppressed anger. "We didn't want to have to do this, but we all felt it was necessary. You can't quit the team. We need you and you need us."

"Ron, you don't know what you're talking about." Harry snapped back with impatience. "There's just so much going on that I can't make even make most of the practices! It's not fair to the rest of the team when their Seeker isn't there half the time."

"Harry, you're still the best." Hermione said calmly. "Even if you can't make all the practices, you're still on the team and you still win the games! We hardly ever see you anymore unless it's in class or a training session. The few times we see you is on the Quidditch pitch. It feels like we're losing you!"

"You're not losing me." Harry snarled back. "I've just got more important things to work on. Hell I have a stack of first year essays waiting for me to correct them right now! We all know that when we graduate from here we lose some of the closeness that we had when we lived here together. Well, it's just happening a little earlier. Don't blame me for that. I didn't create this whole mess we're in!"

"Of course you didn't Harry," Neville said softly. He'd lost most of his pudginess over the last year, and was a lot more self-confident. Even his voice was more confident. "But you are responsible for how you meet this situation. We hardly ever see you anymore. When was the last time you were in this room except for when it was business?"

"I don't live here anymore." Harry snapped. "I don't have the time to…"

"But you have time for the Slytherins?" Lavender Brown snapped, her face showing anger as well. "I hear things, Harry. You've been to their common room three times in the last week alone!"

"They're closer…" Harry temporized, shocked.

"Excuses, Harry." Hermione said. "What's wrong with us that you don't want to spend time with your own House?"

"It's not that, Hermioine." Harry said, his voice soft as his mind raced.

"Then what is it you bloody git?" Ron snapped, and Harry's anger reignited. "You're shagging a damn Slytherin so much now that you can't stand your own House anymore?"

"How dare you!" Harry exclaimed, anger choking his throat as he resisted the urge to disembowel Ron right there. "That has nothing to do with this!"

"Then what is it Harry?" Hermione asked softly. "So far all you've done is tell us what has nothing to do with why you aren't here. Why don't you tell us what does have to do with why you don't treat us like your friends anymore?"

"It bloody hurts!" Harry shouted. "Every time I come up here, every time I see you guys it reminds me of last year, and the years before that and all the crap I went through and I bloody hell can't stand it anymore! I have to be strong, I can't afford weakness and it makes me feel weak!"

"Bollocks!" Ron snarled. "You saunter around the halls with your fancy clothes, wearing your fancy sword and flashing that fancy bracelet around while your pretty boy hangs on your arms. You just don't want to bothered with low life scum like us!"

"Where the hell did you get that idea from, Ron?" Harry said, startled. He'd just revealed the reason why, and here Ron was just ignoring it.

"I've seen the way you look at my robes!" Ron snarled. "You actually sniffed at them when I came down to play chess with you last week. You even refused to let me bring my set. You insisted on using that fancy board you got from that Death Eater Lucius Malfoy!"

"Ron?" Harry said startled. "That's not right! I sniffed because you still smelled like that dungbomb that George set off on you earlier! As for that chess set, yours is getting old and the charms don't work as well as they use to! I thought you'd enjoy playing on a newer set! I can't believe that you would resent playing on something just because it's nice or where it came from!"

"Just get out of here, Harry." Ron snarled, not really listening.

"No." Hermione said firmly. "We're not done here yet. Now, about what you were saying, Harry. I don't see how you can think feeling grief and sorrow would make you feel weak. It's part of being…"

"It's obvious why he feels that!" Ron snarled. "It's that bloody Malfoy git filling his head with nonsense!"

"You bastard!" Harry snarled, crossing the distance between them and slamming his fist into Ron's face. The force of the blow knocked his best friend to the ground, a look of surprise on his face. Before he could get up, or Harry could move to kick him, George and Fred leaped up from their chairs and held Ron back while Seamus and Neville grabbed Harry's arms.

"Get him out of here!" Hermione yelled, pointing at Harry and her voice angry.

The two Gryffindors bustled an unresisting Harry outside the common room. He ignored the Fat Lady's questions about what was wrong, waived off the apologies of Neville and Seamus, and stormed down the staircases until he reached his rooms. He entered only to find that Draco was gone. A note on the table said Draco was in the Slytherin common room. Furious at Ron, and at himself, he shrugged and decided what the hell. He was still wearing an angry expression as he entered the Slytherin common room. He sat down beside Draco, who was studying potions with Crabbe and let out a sigh.

For some reason he felt more relaxed sitting there in the darker, more refined Slytherin room than he had in the warm and cheery Gryffindor room. He took off his shoes and relaxed his feet on the soft, plush floor rug and joined in the argument Draco was having over whether the thickness of grated Porash root made a difference for this particular potion.

© 1997-2022 J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, Scholastic Press; All Rights Reserved; Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling, Everything else belongs to dkstories
  • Like 18
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

While I'm happy that you added more depth to Harry and Snape's reconciliation I'm worried about the Ron foreshadowing. Hopefully you don't have Ron do something entirely out of character. It would put me off from the rest of the story. If there is a lot of OOC in this story you should have a warning in the description.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I liked Ron's description of Umbridge as the "Umbridge thingy". Poor Ron and his temper...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..