Jump to content
    dkstories
  • Author
  • 6,897 Words
  • 6,119 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>

Harry Potter and the Sword of Gryffindor - 22. Chapter 22

Harry Potter was done crying. Now he was sipping tea and listening to Draco tell about what happened from his point of view. Harry's anger was close to boiling over when he'd realized that Draco was bleeding. A quick check revealed the bullet had passed through Draco's arm and was not lodged inside. A few healing spells and a potion had sealed the wound and taken away the pain. As Draco finished, Harry set his tea down and stared into his lover's eyes. His emotions were running wild and it was all he could do to contain them at the moment.

"What are you feeling, Harry?" Draco asked quietly.

"I'm not sure. I'm angry, that's for sure, I'm sad as well. But I'm also happy and I'm ready to start crying again, but I really don't feel the need to do that anymore. I'm going to miss Dumbledore, and the fact that muggles killed him makes me very angry, but I'm also glad that he's gone as well."

"You're glad that he's gone?" Draco's voice was soft and full of surprise, even his eyes were widened.

"Kind of." Harry said guiltily. "I mean I'm not glad he's dead, but I am glad that he won't be interfering in my life anymore. He's always been there since the day my parents were killed. He placed me with my Aunt and Uncle. Granted he thought he was saving my life, and maybe he was, but he was the one who put me there and didn't make sure that I had a happy childhood. Then there's the way he's manipulated me ever since I did go to Hogwarts, only giving me bits and pieces of information and all that. This last year I saw the way he looked at me several times, like he was wondering if I was going to turn into another Voldemort. I'm not going to miss any of that, but at the same time he was like…a…grandfather to me and I'm going to miss him for that. Does this make any sense?"

"You're forgetting who my father is." Draco said with a chuckle. "Of course it makes sense."

"Okay. But I still want revenge for those who caused his death. I have to wonder if Fudge had anything to do with it, and I know that Sir Fitzgerald did, and I want them to pay for what they did."

"You want to…hurt them?" Draco asked cautiously.

"Not physically." Harry said firmly. "No matter what Dumbledore thought I'm not going to turn into another Voldemort. I want to hurt Sir Fitzgerald's position with his government and if Fudge had anything to do with those troops I want him removed from office and sent to Azkaban."

"Who would replace him as Minister of Magic?" Draco asked, leaning back in his chair and smiling. That smile made Harry feel better.

"Orrin Millieu." Harry said without hesitation. "He's not in the Order of The Phoenix, but he's well respected by many of them. He's been on the war committee and always thinks before giving his support or opposition on anything and he's always shown both of us a lot of respect. I'm pretty sure he'll continue to listen to us once he's Minister of Magic and he's always been reticent to support Dumbledore's pro-muggle policies without being anti-muggle. Just the right mix."

"And how do we get him appointed?" Draco asked.

"We get the Order to support his candidacy and get our other resources to also back him." Harry answered.

"See, we'll make a politician out of you yet." Draco said with a smile, just as Kreacher entered and politely informed him they had guests. Draco told the elf to escort the guests to the living room while Harry and Draco changed and washed up. Less than ten minutes later, they were ready and standing in the sitting room while Kreacher showed Cornelius Fudge, Maggie Lawton, and Minerva McGonagall into the room. Minerva still had soot marks on her cheeks from the battle, and tear stains streaked her face. Draco whispered to Kreacher who soon brought her a warm, wet towel along with tea for everyone.

"Harry, it is good to see that you are alright." McGonagall said as Kreacher approached her with the towel.

"It's good to see you are alright as well, Professor." Harry said with genuine warmth in his voice. "What can we do for you?"

"We need to hold a press conference immediately." Fudge answered. "The press is going crazy waiting for official word."

"How bad was it, Minerva?" Harry asked his now fresher Professor. She stared at him for a moment, but took the hint he'd given by using her first name.

"Nowhere near as bad as it could have been." She said after a moment, grief still evident in her voice. "We lost eight students total. Another eighty are in St. Mungo's right now, but only three are in really poor condition. Six parents didn't survive either, and Professor Grubby-Plank is in serious condition as well. You of course are aware of Albus."

"Why did you whisk his body away?" Fudge broke in, staring at McGonagall sharply. "I didn't even get to see him before you left."

"The wards of Hogwarts." Minerva sniffed sharply. "If a headmaster dies the wards must be transferred immediately. That takes priority. We'll have him prepared for lying in state at the school before he is buried in accordance with his will. Until the Board chooses a new Headmaster, I have to assume the wards as Deputy Headmistress."

"Oh." Fudge said, and Harry took this opportunity to ask Maggie Lawton how many Death Eaters were captured.

"Well, we have forty six of them dead," She said. "All from those muggle weapons and another hundred captured. Kingsley Shacklebolt estimates that another hundred got away. Most of the ones we captured are from overseas, not even British."

"What about the muggles?" Draco asked.

"Hmm, eighteen of them are dead from killing curses." Maggie answered after a moment. "The other forty were awakened after being taken back through the barrier. They should be okay soon enough although a few had minor injuries."

"The muggle government is quite upset." Fudge announced. "A few of the soldiers claimed they were attacked by students but I told Sir Fitzgerald they must be mistaken because no student would assault lawful authorities."

"Of course not, Minister." Harry said, keeping his real comments inside as McGonagall shot him a warning glance. "Minister, if you wouldn't mind, how did those soldiers come to be there?"

"Not a problem, Harry." Fudge said with a proud smile. "When your Professor Trelawney appeared at the ministry warning of an attack on Kings Cross we sent every Auror we had there, and I immediately called Sir Fitzgerald. He ordered the troops to assist in the fight and I met them at the barrier, showing them how to get through. Then I waited for more Aurors to arrive to escort them through, but alas the battle was all but over by the time they arrived."

"Well, thanks for being there anyway." Harry said in a sweet voice while his insides boiled. "Would you do me a favor? I don't feel up to meeting with the press right now. Why don't you go meet with them so they can get their stories going? You can tell them that I'll be traveling back to Hogwarts tonight to pay my private respects to Professor Dumbledore. He was like a grandfather to me after all, and that I'll answer any questions they have at the Great Entrance then."

"Oh, I can be there tonight as well." Fudge cut in.

"That won't be necessary, Minister." Harry assured him. "I'll only answer one or two questions before shooing them out. I feel so drained right now I don't think I'll have the strength for more than that and I wouldn't want you to make such a journey for just five minutes."

"I'll be sure to tell them it will be very short." Fudge said grudgingly, looking suspiciously at Harry. Harry chose that moment to fake some dizziness and ask the group if they wouldn't mind leaving him so he could rest. Draco asked McGonagall to stay for a moment to talk to him, so it was just the two Ministry officials that Kreacher showed out. Fudge's suspicious look had disappeared when Harry feigned his dizziness. He kept the act up until Kreacher returned to tell them the other visitors were gone.

"I want him gone." Harry told McGonagall after Kreacher left, all pretense of weakness gone. "I want Fudge out as Minister. He's responsible for the muggle soldiers and for Albus' death."

"I couldn't agree more." She said, her posture stiff and proud. "The question is how can we manage to do that?"

"I will get things started tonight at Hogwarts."

"You plan on answering a more than just a few questions then?"

"Yes." Harry answered. "I plan on announcing Fudge as the reason Dumbledore is no longer with us. I'll call publicly for his resignation."

"That will probably work if we have the members of the Order in the Ministry take it from there." Minerva said after a moment of thought. "The question is who should replace him."

"I was thinking of someone from the Order." Harry said smoothly, "But if it ever comes out they are members of the Order it will look like we were seizing power and that wouldn't be good."

"No it wouldn't." McGonagall agreed again.

"Well, there are a couple of people like Maggie Lawton and Orrin Millieu who would do good jobs." Harry supplied while Draco nodded in agreement. "Maybe we could discuss it at an Order meeting."

"Yes, we will need to meet soon to have Fawkes choose a new leader." Minerva said, rising to her feet. "I need to return to Hogwarts to make some preparations. Shall I expect you shortly after dinner?"

"Yes, that would be good." Harry agreed, also rising to his feet and giving her a hug. She seemed to sink into the hug, soaking up his support for a moment, before standing back and smiling at him.

"Albus would be proud of you." She said softly. "I know I am, Harry. Use this portkey tonight. It will take you directly to the great hall."

"Thank you." Harry said, accepting the small thimble she handed him. She told him how to activate it and then dissapparated. Harry leaned onto Draco for support as the blond Slytherin wrapped Harry in his arms. They stood like that for a while until Kreacher announced that Ron and Hermione arrived. It was time once more to play the gallant heroes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"I still can't believe he's gone." Hermione said a half-hour later as they sat sipping tea in front of the fireplace.

"Neither can I." Ron added, his face solemn. The rest of the Weasley clan had arrived shortly after Ron and Hermione and were now all sitting around Harry and Draco in the larger living room.

"It's something that we have all dreaded for years." Mr. Weasley said sadly.

"I wonder what will happen now." Molly Weasley said softly.

"We'll go on." Harry said firmly. "We've lost people before and we'll probably lose people again. We'll grieve for a while, but the fight goes on. He might be able to recover some of his power with the Dark Arts, but not all of it, not as much as what the Sword took from him."

"Quite right." Bill Weasley said with a nod of his head, his long, untied, red hair swaying a bit. "We can't let even the loss of Albus Dumbledore get us down. After all, you got You-Know-Who pretty good didn't you Harry?"

"Yes, I did." Harry said with a self-satisfied grin. "The Sword leeched a lot of his power before he escaped. He'll be a long time recovering for sure."

"Still, there's so much to do here and now." Mr. Weasley said. "Who knows what trouble Fudge will get up to now that Albus isn't around to keep him in check."

"I wouldn't worry too much about the Minister." Harry said, shifting slightly in Draco's arms. "He's responsible for the muggle troops that killed Albus and I don't plan on letting him get away with that."

"He's responsible?" Arthur Weasley squeaked, shock showing clearly on his face.

"Yes." Harry said firmly. "He admitted to showing the troops how to get through the barrier when he stopped by a while ago. I plan on calling for his resignation later tonight. I hope, Arthur, that you can speak to your friends in the ministry about this."

"He won't survive the week." Arthur Weasley said angrily. "You just tell me what you need done."

"Wait till the article comes out in the morning." Harry told him. "You can tell your friends at the ministry then that you heard about it here and that you're just as angry and think something should be done. After I make my announcement tonight I will step out of it and let the rest of you handle things."

"Harry," Hermione said in a worried voice, "are you sure this is the right way to do this?"

"Of course it is, Hermione." Draco answered for him. "With any luck he'll be replaced by someone who is going to carry on the effort against Voldemort without all the power grabbing moves that Fudge made."

"Who do you think should be Headmaster now, Harry?" Molly asked. Since her and Arthur were now sitting on the Board of Governors as proxies for Harry and Draco, the question made a lot of sense.

"I'm not sure." Harry admitted. "Isn't there supposed to be some sort of application process?"

"Probably." Arthur agreed. "Professor McGonagall can keep a hand on things over the summer so we have some time before we must make a decision. Whoever does take it is going to have a pretty big robes to fill."

After that, they began to tell stories about Albus Dumbledore. Funny stories, stories about his kindness and his humor, and his fascination with candies of all types. That lasted until dinner had come and gone. It was time for Harry to travel with Draco to Hogwarts. Ron and Hermione were staying at the Manor, but the rest of the Weasley family was heading to the Burrow for the night.

Before heading off to the school, Harry and Draco took quick showers and changed into formal robes. Harry's black robes were offset by a trim of red and gold wire running through them with his Gryffindor and Defender badges prominent. Draco's were similar, but had green and silver trim offsetting the black of the robe. Both wore purple armbands on their left arms in honor of Albus Dumbledore. The thimble portkey was activated and they found themselves in the nearly empty Great Hall of Hogwarts.

"You made it." Minerva McGonagall said with a sad smile. Only the professors table still present in the hall. The charmed ceiling overhead was gray, overcast and gloomy.

"Yes." Harry said simply, feeling sadness creep up inside of him.

"Well, preparations are still being made, but we'll be ready by morning." McGonagall said softly. "By tradition a bier is set up for two days to allow those who wish to pay their respects to attend, then a private funeral is held on the third day. Albus' great-great grandson will be here tomorrow. Albus sent him to America for safekeeping during the last war after the rest of the family was killed, and the boy married an American witch. The funeral itself will be very private, only the Professors, family and few students including the both of you."

"Can…may we see him?" Harry asked, stuttering slightly. McGonagall's face softened a little more and she gave a wan smile before replying.

"Of course you can." She led them out of the hall and into the main passageway of the keep. A dozen house elves were running around performing various tasks. All of them were weeping openly, lamenting the demise of the Headmaster. Several were setting up golden posts connected by purple rope that would guide visitors in the morning. Others were putting up paintings of past Headmasters along the path visitors would take. All the portraits appeared to be grieving, but they bowed and curtsied as McGonagall passed them.

She led them to the foot of the great staircases where a marble bier had been set up. Albus Dumbledore's body laid on top of it, garbed in a purple robe that somehow managed to look regal. His flowing beard ran down his chest, covering clasped hands. All signs of the muggle bullets that had taken his life were gone.

Harry walked up to the bier, passing the golden posts that would keep visitors away. The purple rope raised itself as he approached, and lowered immediately behind him. Draco and McGonagall stopped at the posts and watched as Harry ascended the steps to the marble bier and stared down at the crooked nose of the man who had shaped Harry's life so much.

"I'm sorry." Harry said so softly that the two people watching him couldn't hear. "I'm sorry that you had to die like you did. I may not have agreed with everything you did, I may have been angry with you many times, but no one deserves to die like that. I know that you may not approve of everything I am doing, or will do, but you should know I will never become another Voldemort. I will just do what must be done."

"Harry." A familiar voice said softly, and he looked up to see Nearly Headless Nick floating on the other side of the bier. "I thought I'd save you the trouble of trying to find me."

"There is no need this time, Nick." Harry said softly with a smile. "Albus Dumbledore was always curious as to what lay on the other side of death. He'd go willingly to wherever it is the dead go instead of staying behind."

"Oh, yes, of course." Nick said with a sheepish grin. "We will all miss him greatly."

"Yes, we will." Harry said with a soft smile. "Where are the other ghosts?"

"Comforting Peeves." Nick said, shocking Harry. Nick chuckled softly at the look of surprise on Harry's face. "Peeves loved the old man. Dumbledore always laughed at his jokes and tolerated things no other Headmaster would. He's sworn ever-lasting revenge on anyone who disrupts or trivializes the ceremonies for Dumbledore and is currently shrieking at the top of his lungs in the north tower. The bloody baron is trying to calm him down, but even he isn't having much of an effect at the moment."

"Tell him I said 'thanks' would you?" Harry asked. Nick nodded and faded off down the hallway. With a last look at Albus Dumbledore, Harry turned and made his way back to the two who were waiting for him. Draco touched him arm, but relaxed as Harry smiled at him.

"Professor, is the press waiting?" Harry asked quietly.

"Yes, they are." She answered with a curt nod and a smile of anticipation. With her on his left, and Draco at his right, Harry led the way to the Great Entrance, ready to perform an act of revenge much worse than simply killing or torturing Cornelius Fudge. This is what Voldemort would never understand. Dark curses and death hurt people, but what Harry was about to do would ruin a man's life forever, and he didn't even have to cast a spell to do the deed.

Harry was about to prove just how much of an amateur Voldemort really was.

There were about twenty reporters waiting for him at the Great Enterance, with a few Aurors watching them warily. As they noticed him, they all turned to face him. Instead of racing forward and shouting out questions, they moved closer in silence. It seemed like they were eager to hear what he had to say, but unsure of what to ask first. Harry also felt more presences behind him and realized that McGonagall had summoned every Professor at Hogwarts and they were assembling behind him. The silence stretched out until Harry was certain all of them were there. It was an unexpected gesture, but one that he realized would help his plan. Finally he cleared his throat and faced the waiting reporters.

"Witches and wizards, thank you for being here." Harry said firmly. "This has been a most tragic day, one that the wizarding world will never forget. In his insanity, Voldemort sought to attack the students of Hogwarts as they returned home. Instead of weak children waiting to be slaughtered he found that Albus Dumbledore had prepared us to meet his challenge.

"He probably expected terrified children who would fall to his Death Eaters like cattle. What he found instead were wizards and witches of all ages ready to stand against him. With the aid of the Professors of Hogwarts, who received my warning and joined the battle without hesitation, and the Ministry Aurors who responded to the alarm, Voldemort and his Death Eaters were being brought to bay.

"Yet, I must admit that I made a dreadful mistake. I had left the Sword of Gryffindor in my baggage and so it was that Albus Dumbledore faced Voldemort while I sought to retrieve the weapon. As soon as I recovered the weapon, I took care of the few dementors who had joined in the attack and was preparing to assist Albus in defeating Voldemort once and for all when a third group joined the conflict.

"Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge made a horrendous mistake today as well. As soon as he sent the Aurors to help at Kings Cross, he surrendered the right of the wizarding world to handle our own affairs and contacted the Muggle government. He then compounded this betrayal of the wizarding world by showing Muggle troops how to access platform nine and three quarters. These troops stormed the platform and began shooting at anything that moved.

"Thanks to the warning of my friend Hermione Granger, most of the students were warned to drop to the ground and only a few were wounded. I have been informed that three students who are in most critical condition at St. Mungo's were wounded by these Muggle soldiers. While it is true that they killed many Death Eaters, their actions have also had the most disastrous impact on the wizarding world in many years."

Harry stopped then, letting his words sink in on the reporters. They stared at him with wide eyes, his unspoken implications dawning on them. Several looked sick, and it was a few moments before one raised his hand. He nodded toward the man, who he recognized as Mundus Farseeker, a reporter for Wizarding Wireless News. He held a magical recorder in his hands that Harry knew was recording everything that was said.

"Mr. Potter," Mundus said in a weak voice. "Are you implying that the Muggle soldiers killed Headmaster Dumbledore?"

"Yes." Harry answered simply.

"But…" Barflee Maldus, the reporter from Wizard's Weekly stuttered. "The Minister said it was Voldemort who killed Albus Dumbledore!"

"He lied." Harry said succinctly, throwing down the gauntlet at the absent Minister. "He probably said that so he wouldn't be blamed for the death of the only wizard feared by Voldemort. He wasn't on the platform. After showing the muggle soldiers how to pass the barrier, he cowered in safety of the muggle side until more Aurors showed up and the battle was all but over. Unlike him, I was there, looking right at Albus when the bullets destroyed his life. I saw him fall, struck down by the very people that he had sought to protect all of his life. I heard Voldemort's laughter."

"What happened to…You-Know-Who?" A witch Harry didn't recognize asked.

"He got his chance to face me one-on-one." Harry said with a deadly grin. "He found out that I'm not the same child that he's faced in the past. Thanks to the training Albus and the Professors gave me, I was ready for him and I defeated him. The Sword of Gryffindor was buried in his chest before he escaped using a portkey. He's weakened now. The Sword drained him of a lot of magic, and wounds inflicted by the Sword do not heal easily. It will be a long time before he has the strength to attack again, and in that time he will be hiding because we will be looking for him to be able to finish the job once and for all."

"So Voldemort's not dead?" the same witch asked.

"Why would you think he's dead?" Harry asked honestly perplexed.

"The Minister said you had killed him." She answered.

"I have no idea why he would lie like that." Harry answered with a sigh. "I swear sometimes I don't understand the man. He spent so much time and energy denying Voldemort's return two years ago. He tried to make Albus and I look like fools so no one would believe us, he had Barty Crouch Jr. given the dementor's kiss instead of letting him be questioned, although the man would have proven the return of Voldemort two years ago, he let Dolores Umbridge nearly ruin Hogwarts and let her nearly destroy any hope the students had of defending themselves against Death Eaters, and now he set in motion the events that killed Albus Dumbledore. I hope that it was incompetence that led to these things happening instead of him doing them purposefully."

"Are…are you saying Minister Fudge is in league with the Dark Lord?" Mundus asked.

"I didn't think that he was, but I'm beginning to wonder now." Harry admitted sadly, looking down at the ground.

"Mr. Potter, these are pretty hefty accusations you are making." The Daily Prophet reporter asked suspiciously. "Do you have any proof of these charges?"

"I saw the muggles kill Headmaster Dumbledore." McGonagall said in a firm voice. "I was also there when Fudge had the Crouch boy kissed by dementors and he ignored me when I told him that the boy could prove Voldemort's return. Most of the staff here has witnessed many of the things Mr. Potter mentioned and we stand ready to vouch for his words. We have known him for six years now, and while he might occasionally break rules, argue with his fellow students, and have been a slightly abnormal young wizard growing up, we have never, ever known him to lie. In fact he would often get himself into more trouble by refusing to lie and only speaking the truth even when it caused him pain and punishment. Mr. Potter's word is as good as gold."

"Here, here!" Most of the Professors said behind him. Harry looked back at the reporters solemnly.

"Are you calling for Minister Fudge to be arrested?" The Daily Prophet reporter asked.

"That is not for me or the Professors of Hogwarts to decide." Harry said firmly. "That is something for the Ministry of Magic and the Wizengamot to decide and act upon. I cannot remain silent any longer however. I have also decided that I can no longer participate in Ministry efforts as long as Cornelius Fudge is in charge. I am hereby tendering my resignation from all Ministry organizations that I am participating in. I will consider any offers to rejoin only on the condition that Cornelius Fudge is no longer a part of the Ministry."

"What do you have to say about this, Mr. Malfoy?" Wizards Wireless News asked.

"My father always talked about how a few galleons and a few words would make Mr. Fudge do whatever he wanted." Draco said scornfully. "When he was still deluded by the promises and powers of Voldemort, my father knew that the Ministry would do whatever he wanted as long as Fudge was in charge and there were enough galleons changing hands. The Minister accepted many bribes over the years, a fact my father is now willing to attest. If it wasn't for Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore, Minister Fudge would likely have handed over the reigns of power to Voldemort long ago and we would all be kneeling to him today. Now Dumbledore is dead because of the Minister's actions and I can't help but wonder if he'll manage to betray my Harry as well. I know that losing Harry would be awful for me, he is the love of my life after all, but I can't even imagine how it would affect the wizarding world to lose the only other wizard that Voldemort has cause to fear."

"I'm sorry, but I'm still tired from the rigors of the day." Harry said, swaying a little for effect as he spoke. "Thank you for being here tonight."

He turned and reentered the castle with Draco at his side and followed by the assembled staff. McGonagall directed the couple to the Headmaster's office, from which they flooed home to Black Manor. It was a very tired Harry Potter who cuddled up next to Draco that night. Harry's last thought before succumbing to sleep was "So much for a normal end to the school year…".

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry's chest felt like it was burning. The pain was intense, so intense that little else mattered. The dark, swarthy man standing by his bedside was speaking, but his accent was so thick that Harry had trouble picking out the words. The man brought a potion to his lips that reduced the pain a bit, but it was still there, still throbbing. This time when the man spoke his words were a little clearer.

"Milord," The man stammered. "None of us have the skill to remove the metal. We have set out to take the best medi-wizard in Slovakia. He should be here soon to treat your wounds."

"Fool" Harry's voice was sharp and weak. "What makes you think he will heal me?"

"We will take his family. If he fails to heal you we will torture and then kill them."

"He better be…" Harry's voice trailed off and he realized what he was seeing. It had been a long time since he'd connected with Voldemort like this.

'Like what you are seeing, Potter?" Voldemort's thoughts hit him like a hammer.

'Why, Tom, how could you doubt that I would be enjoying this?' Harry thought back. 'Albus and I always told you there are worse things than death.'

'Really?' Voldemort responded with a mental sneer. 'I guess he'll really be able to know that now. Funny how it was muggles that killed him despite all of the things he's done to protect them. Just goes to show what happens when you try to tame rabid dogs.'

'You know Tom,' Harry's thoughts were sharp, like daggers. 'I've been wondering how it feels to have to recruit from the dregs of society because your followers in your own homeland reject you for the half-blood crazy idiot you are.'

Voldemort's reaction was to slam Harry out of his mind. It hurt, but not quite as much as he expected. His chuckles became vocal as he reentered his own body. Luckily they were soft enough that they didn't wake Draco up. Harry was in a really good mood now, and he began to run his hand's down the pale skin of his fiancé. When they reached Draco's hips, he slid them around to see if some careful manipulation might wake his lover up a bit. Still chuckling, he set about his task, a strange but wonderful giddiness filling him.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Albus Dumbledore Falls!

In a day that will live forever in the memories of the wizarding world, Albus Dumbledore, most famous as the Headmaster of Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, passed away during a battle at Kings Cross Station. As first reported by Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge, the Dark Lord attacked Hogwarts students returning to London for the summer holidays. Accompanied by hundreds of Death Eaters, mostly from Eastern Europe, he attacked the students as they were being reunited with their parents after a particularly difficult year at school. (see Daily Prophet Article: VICTORY?)

As is customary, the students were under the supervision of their Prefects, Head Boy and Girl, and of course the Defenders of Hogwarts led by Harry Potter himself. The attackers somehow apparrated onto the station and immediately began their attack. However, they did not find students unprepared for such an event. Instead the students met the attack and managed to hold off the crowd of Death Eaters until the arrival of their Professors (who had been warned by Mr. Potter) and Aurors from the Ministry.

Albus Dumbledore himself appeared and began to battle the Dark Lord while Mr. Potter retrieved a necessary weapon for the encounter he has been preparing all year for. Reports of what happened next are conflicting. Minister Fudge informed us that the Muggle Government had offered troops to assist in the battle and that they were allowed past the magical barrier protecting platform 9 and ¾ in order to aid the Hogwarts students and staff. According to the Minister, Albus Dumbledore fell to the Dark Lord before the troops arrived.

However, Mr. Potter himself has presented another view of these events. According to Mr. Potter, he had retrieved the legendary Sword of Gryffindor to use against the Dark Lord when muggle troops stormed the platform, shooting at anything that moved. This included several students, a parent, several dozen Death Eaters, and Albus Dumbledore himself.

According to Mr. Potter, it was muggle weapons, not He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, that killed the wizarding world's greatest protector, Albus Dumbledore.

In seeking to confirm which of these stories is true, we have spoken to several ministry officials, students, professors, parents, and a few aurors. To our concern, every single one of these witnesses has confirmed the words of Mr. Potter in direct contradiction to Minister Fudge's statements.

During a special press conference on the steps of Hogwarts itself, Mr. Potter made several dire accusations against the Minister of Magic. These accusations were apparently referred to the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, Maggie Lawton. Mrs. Lawton immediately convened a meeting of the Ministry of Magic Department Heads to discuss the matter. Upon testimony from Minerva McGonagall, acting Headmistress of Hogwarts, Arthur Weasley, Head of the Department of Misuse of Muggle Artifacts, and several other extremely reputable witnesses, a warrant was issued for the arrest of Cornelius Fudge on the charge of Treason against the wizarding world. Unfortunately his whereabouts are currently unknown - Mr. Fudge's residence was searched but his family claims no knowledge of his location.

The position of Minister of Magic has been declared vacant and will be filled as soon as possible by appointment from the Department Heads. The Ministry will be accepting applications for the position for the next three weeks before a decision is made. Until the position is filled, Maggie Lawton has been appointed acting Minister of Magic, although she has stated that she has no intent of applying for the position.

Hogwarts acting Headmistress McGonagall has informed the press that preparations have been made for the funeral of Albus Dumbledore. The public will be allowed to pay their final respects at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for the next two day. Lines are already long as many want to pay final respects to the man accounted to be the greatest Headmaster in the School's history.

Mr. Potter has been reported to be in seclusion with his fiancé Draco Malfoy and close personal friends Ronald Weasley, Hermione Granger, Blaise Zabini, Pansy Parkinson, Vincent Crabbe, and Gregory Goyle at an undisclosed location. According to Professor McGonagall, he was allowed a private viewing of Albus Dumbledore last night and will remain in seclusion until the private funeral in three days.

The good news from the battle is that Harry Potter severely wounded the Dark Lord before the villain escaped with a hidden, illegal portkey. Wounded by a thrust of the Sword of Gryffindor to his chest, and with severely weakened magic from the encounter, Mr. Potter believes that it will be some time before the Dark Lord is able to endanger our world again. In a special exclusive, the Daily Prophet has acquired several pictures taken of the ending of this epic battle. Turn to page 2 of this edition to see for yourselves why we believe that we still have hope despite the loss of Albus Dumbledore.

Harry turned to the second page of the paper and shuddered at the pictures he saw there. Draco had told him that Colin Creevey had taken some pictures, but seeing him there, driving the Sword of Gryffindor into Voldemort was shocking. The paper was filled with articles about Dumbledore's life, and about all those who had died yesterday. Still, that picture seemed to capture his attention and he couldn't tear his eyes away. He remembered what he felt when he'd struck that blow, he remembered the hatred and anger, and he remembered the quiet relief when the Sword had been deflected by the shielding spell and missed Voldemort's heart. He was surprised, but the truth was that he had not been ready yet to kill another human being.

Maybe he would be next time.

The next couple of days passed quietly in Black Manor. Their Slytherin friends did their best to get along with Harry's friends, and their efforts were returned earnestly. Surprisingly Hermione wasn't in the library much. She spent most of her time downstairs with Ron.

The party planned by Narcissa was cancelled. It wouldn't have been seemly to hold a party while everyone mourned for Dumbledore. Instead, she had set about preparing a birthday bash for Harry with Molly Weasley's help. The two of them were furiously planning to make up for all the birthdays Harry had not had parties for, and he was getting nervous just thinking about what they might be planning.

Tonks showed up on the second day, with Severus Snape not far behind. The two of them began nattering at Harry about his wedding, still six months away, until he shooed them out of the house. McGonagall sent an owl stating that there would be an Order meeting the day after the funeral and that he should be present along with Draco. Everyone seemed to be holding their breath until the funeral was over with.

On the evening before the funeral, McGonagall had arrived for dinner with two guests. It was Devin Dumbledore and his wife, Alicia. Devin had Albus' nose and was easily recognizable. They talked quietly and Devin seemed to soak up the stories everyone told about his great-great grandfather.

The day of the funeral dawned bright, clear, and warm. Harry and Draco were joined by their fellow students in flooing to Hogsmeade and joining the funeral party. In all, fifty people followed the coffin from the center of Hogsmeade village (where it had been transported earlier) to the Hogwarts gardens. There, Minerva McGonagall gave a short speech about honoring the life of the deceased and the need to continue on with their own lives.

When she was finished, all of the Professors surrounded the coffin and pointed their wands at it, casting an obscure spell. The coffin and the remains inside were consumed by a blue-white fire that turned into miniature whirlwind. The whirlwind lifted into the air and moved until it hung over the castle and dispersed, the ashes contained inside floating down onto the spires and battlements of the old keep.

Somehow, Draco and Harry had ended walking back to Hogsmeade in the company of Professor Trelawney. Most of the funeral guests had stayed for the wake but Harry had not felt any inclination to remain. Trelawney had joined them, saying that she needed to buy some more incense in the village. She chattered the entire way about how she had foreseen the entire disaster, but Harry paid her no mind. It was when they reached the edge of the village that she stopped suddenly and her voice changed.

"Beware!" She said loudly in that strange, dark voice. "Beware the danger of Darkness being replaced with Darkness, forget not our beginnings, lest the world be plunged forever into evil!"

She collapsed at that point, and Harry stood in shock while Draco carefully revived the poor woman, first carefully obliterating any memory she might have of her prophecy. Her words ran again and again through Harry's mind as Draco got her to her feet and remarked that the heat must have gotten to her. She nodded and walked off into the village. Draco stood looking at him for a few moments before taking his hand. Together they disapparated back home, leaving the village of Hogsmeade behind for the summer.

That was why neither of them saw the air behind where they had stood shimmer and a shock of red hair appears on top of the head of a young man. The young man just shook his head looking at the spot where Trelawney had uttered her prophesy.

"Oh, Harry, what have you gotten yourself into?" He said before taking off the invisibility cloak and heading back to the wake currently underway at the castle.

© 1997-2022 J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, Scholastic Press; All Rights Reserved; Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling, Everything else belongs to dkstories
  • Like 26
  • Love 3
  • Wow 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

is it just me or is Ron a bit creepy stalker here?

good wrap up to a great story :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well to say that this is good would be a huge understatement, it is awesome reading and doesn't just rush to the point, cannot wait 'til the next chapter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I like the way you ended this it sorta wrapped everything up. nd I agree with Myr Ron does seem to be a bit of a stalker. Considering he us suppose to be Harry best friend he does seem to be a bit short on trust. If the next book continues from this point it should be just as attention grabbing as this one was.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Ron sneakiness is almost as disquieting as Draco's personal transformation. Only in Draco's case it is a welcome development versus a heart breaking one. Good chapter wrapping up the main lines but leaving us enough to want more, thanks.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Never been a fan of this universe even though I have watched the films. I actually skipped pass this series of books while lookingredients for books to real but decided to give it a shot anyway and I pretty surprised that I've enjoyed this. Read this whole book in 1 day. On to the second!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I don't believe it was Ron watching. I believe it was Bill or Charlie. What a great story and powerfully ending with Harry finally using all his magisterial influence and power for good. My feeling is that Harry will never go dark Lord he might come close but he will turn away from it. That is when he will become truly great and finally find his destiny.

Draco Andy he others because of their closeness to him will always be there to keep him from getting power crazed. Plus his heritage will mitigate against that happening in some degree.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Since her and Arthur --  Since she and Arthur Nominative case of pronoun.
make Albus and i look like  make Albus and me look like

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..