Jump to content
    dkstories
  • Author
  • 5,977 Words
  • 5,999 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>

Harry Potter and the Sword of Gryffindor - 18. Chapter 18

The days that followed what was now called the Battle of Hearly Manor were busy ones for Harry. Classes were cancelled until the following Monday and most of the students were given passes to Hogsmeade. Families had come pouring in, overflowing Hogwart's guest quarters and every free room in Hogsmeade, so tents were set up near the Quidditch pitch. The house elves were working so hard on keeping food and drink flowing that they were almost to the point of breaking down.

Both Draco and Harry had been summoned to several meetings at the Ministry in those days. Voldemort had gone to ground with all of the surviving Death Eaters. Guessing correctly that the Ministry would soon know their identities, they'd cashed their bank accounts, closed their homes, and disappeared into the countryside. To the shock of many people in the Ministry, it turned out that the number of Death Eaters at the manor on the day of the battle was less than a third of the total Death Eaters and Voldemort supporters throughout the countryside. On the second day after the battle while Dumbledore had remained at Hogwarts to deal with families of students, Harry handed a list of fifteen family names to Cornelius Fudge and declared that they were his personal agents within the ranks of the Death Eaters.

Fudge had reacted with surprise, but had signed a document Harry demanded that promised freedom from prosecution upon the payment of damages to the victims and their families. The list was locked in a safe in Fudge's office. Later that day, as he Percy Weasley returned from lunch, he was arrested for providing information to the Death Eaters. Harry didn't intervene this time and Percy pled guilty for a sentence of one year in Azkaban.

Later that night while Harry ate dinner in the Great Hall, the entire Weasley family was present and sitting at the Gryffindor table with miserable looks on their faces and were all unnaturally quiet. Harry sat next to Molly and put a comforting arm around her, then stuck out his tongue at Draco when the blond sneered in their direction.

Draco was teasing.

The funeral of Neville Longbottom was held outside the entrance of Hogwarts by the request of his Grandmother. Harry sat next to her (she was wearing the hat with a hawk on it that day), and Hermione sat on the other side. She held herself proudly and sat as straight as she could; the silent tears running down her face only gave more dignity to a woman who had lost so much. Hermione cried the entire time as well. Draco sat on her other side, at her request, while Ron sat next to Harry. The entire time during the funeral, Harry felt a quiet support coming from Ron, and was thankful for that even though they hadn't talked. At the request of Neville's grandmother, Harry gave a short speech. He spoke of how Neville had been when they first arrived at Hogwarts, how Neville had chased Bellatrix Lestrange into a house full of Death Eaters, throwing down everyone who got in his way, and how Neville had given his life for a fellow student.

Every student at Hogwarts, the entire staff of Professors, and all the families still there attended and ate up every word. As the funeral ended, and people were invited to pay their last respects, the entire Slytherin House stood as one and came forward, each placing a single rose, charmed into the Gryffindor colors, on the coffin until it was covered in a sea of red and yellow roses. That night, as the Gryffindor House held their own wake for Neville in their common room, Hermione and Seamus were told to invite the Slytherins to participate. The Gryffindor common room was packed with both Houses in full attendance, and Harry smiled as he realized that the rivalry between the two Houses was dead.

He shuddered though when he heard Fred and George talking about pranks they could play on the Hufflepuffs with Crabbe and Goyle. Ron still avoided him, but he sensed that his friend was nearing the point where he'd talk to Harry again, and they could renew their friendship. Harry was coming to miss that more and more, and was starting to grow impatient.

While at the Ministry, Draco had been able to get a private meeting with his father. He had come out of that meeting with a proud smile on his face, and a calmness that made Harry extremely happy. On the day after Neville's funeral and wake, Harry woke up early for another round of meetings at the Ministry. When they were done, the Malfoy car met them at the exit and took them to Malfoy Manor. It was under guard by Aurors, but the heroic couple was saluted as they entered the house unchallenged. While Harry met quietly with his future mother-in-law, Draco went into his father's study and returned with a book. After a few hours of talking, they left.

Although the conditions of Malfoy's sentencing required everyone entering or leaving the residence to be searched, Harry wasn't even challenged when he left with a book under his arm. The ride back to Hogsmeade was short, and the carriage they took to Hogwarts was empty except for them. The ride was far too short because they had to spend a few minutes getting decent before they exited the carriage, and they all but ran back to their quarters to finish what they'd started.

The next day passed a little more quietly. Harry spent most of the day immersed in the book, Olde Majic or Darke Majic? A Treatise on the Commone Misperseptions that Doth Exist. Although it was over a hundred years old, the book held a fascinating discussion on the debate that had taken place over whether certain magics were "dark" or were older magic rites which could be used for good or evil. The Blood Oath was the focus of an extremely long chapter and he badly wanted to debate about it with Hermione; unfortunately she had locked herself in her room and refused to come out for anyone, especially Ron or Harry. Still, he did argue it out with Draco and finally came to the conclusion that the Blood Oath, which was to take place that night, was something that could be good or dark, depending on the uses to which it was put.

In their situation, it would be good.

As the sun began to set, Harry disapparated from Hogsmeade and reappeared in the living room of the Black Manor. Draco appeared a moment later and the two looked around approvingly at the changes that had been made to the manor.

Since the end of Winter Holidays Arthur Weasley had been working diligently on having the entire manor refurnished. The threadbare carpeting was replaced with plush, new carpeting. Harry was pleased to see that his instructions that the Manor would be decorated in various renderings of Harry and Draco's house colors had been followed with style and elegance. The living room and entryway had been redone in a motif of Gryffindor colors, but more subdued than the normally garish reds and yellows. It was more crimson and gold, and the sitting room had been done in muted silvers and emerald greens. Dark mahogany furniture added even more sophistication to the manor.

Of course Arthur had been told to get the advice of Narcissa Malfoy. He'd even remodeled a bedroom upstairs in Ravenclaw colors specifically for her whenever she visited. The room where Buckbeak had stayed (he was now pardoned and living back at Hogwarts with Hagrid) was completely rebuilt and was the master bedroom for Harry and Draco. Muted crimson and forest green adorned the room, and the huge canopied bed featured green satin sheets and a duvet with crimson pillows. Harry and Draco resisted the strong urge to break in the new bed and followed Kreacher back downstairs. The excited house elf took them to the entryway and happily introduced them to the portrait of Madame Black.

Every time in the past that Harry had seen, or heard the portrait, it had been shrieking. The worn, tattered curtains that had once covered it had been replaced with dark green curtains and were drawn back. The woman in the portrait positively beamed at Harry and Draco and stunned Harry with repeated compliments on how the Manor had been returned to its former elegance. She even promised that if Harry would keep the curtains drawn back she'd refrain from insulting his visitors, unless they had red hair. He bargained her down to just Fred, George, and Ron, and then promised to have Kreacher close the curtains so she wouldn't have to be subjected to the sight of them.

The Slytherins taking part in the ritual began arriving soon after that, and Kreacher showed each of the students into the living room where Harry and Draco waited with tea and scones. Madame Black was positively ecstatic as she recognized the children of so many pureblood families and was heard blessing her son for finally showing some good sense and leaving the manor to Harold Potter.

Harry hated the formal name Harold, but Draco had begun pushing it on him more and more when dealing with Ministry officials and others. If he had his way, everyone but their friends would be calling him "Harold". He said it was more dignified. Harry knew that he was fighting a lost battle with his blond partner.

When everyone had arrived, they were lead upstairs to the library. The Slytherins had all gotten permission from the school to visit their families (at least their families that were out of prison), and had then portkeyed to the Black Manor. Narcissa Malfoy had made all of the unregistered portkeys since she was familiar with the homes the students would be traveling from and their destination. Dumbledore had removed the fidelis charm that protected the Manor when it was the Order Headquarters, and had instructed Harry to choose a secret keeper before the summer. The first week after graduation, a new fidelis spell would be cast, specifically for Harry and Draco. He'd argued for two days with Harry about his decision to not stay at the Dursley's for at least a week, but it was Harry who had won that argument.

Harry's initial reaction for choosing a secret keeper had been Hermione or Ron, but he knew that given the ceremony that was about to happen, that might be too risky. Painfully remembering the betrayal of Peter Pettigrew, he found it hard to trust anyone except Draco, and Draco would not be able to be the secret keeper since he would be living in the Manor. Harry's wandering thoughts were whipped back to the present when they reached the library.

The library's furniture had been removed by Kreacher and the other house elves for the ceremony. As the twelve Slytherin seventh and sixth years entered the room, they stood along the salt circle that had been laid down in preparation. In the middle of the circle stood a stone plinth upon which rested a silver goblet adorned with the Potter and Malfoy family crests. Inside the goblet, a milky white potion that had taken two months to brew waited for the final ingredients. A sharp, clean knife sat beside the goblet, next to a potion bottle that contained a third as much of the milky white potion as the goblet. When everyone was in place the door to the library was closed by Kreacher as the house elf left the room.

"We are gathered here tonight for an ancient ritual." Harry quoted the required words from memory. "Tonight we swear ourselves to a common cause, as we have agreed, and we bind ourselves to that cause with our blood. We bind ourselves so that treachery will be known, and so that we may be certain of each other. Let any not prepared to meet this binding depart now."

No one left, of course. If anyone had chosen to leave, they would have been hit with an obliviate before being allowed out of the manor. Two of the students that had been approached had refused, and their memories of that conversation were erased. When Harry finished speaking, Draco pulled out the scroll that had been prepared and signed by a drop of blood from everyone in the room.

"As we have agreed, so these are the terms of our Oath," Draco quoted the scroll in a firm voice. We, Draconis Potter-Malfoy, and Harold James Malfoy-Potter, do bind ourselves as Oath Lords to the cause of preserving the wizarding world from the dangers posed by non-magical human communities. We bind ourselves to using the powers of this Oath to ensure that the purity of pureblood families is maintained wherever possible. We bind ourselves to limiting the intrusion of the non-magical community and their artifacts into the wizarding world wherever possible. We bind ourselves to preserving the ability of the wizarding world to rule itself without any influence by the non-magical authorities. We bind ourselves to preserving and protecting those who bind themselves to us with our fortunes and our lives. So we have written, so we swear."

Yesterday on their visit to the Ministry, Draco and Harry had officially registered their new names. Normally it wasn't done until the couple was married, but for it had been necessary for the Oath. As Draco finished, he pulled his wand out, as did Harry, and held the scroll over the goblet. In unison, both of them cast a spell and the scroll disintegrated into the goblet. Harry dipped his wand into it, stirring the mixture of grey parchment dust and milky white fluid three times in a clockwise direction. Draco then dipped his wand and did the exact same thing. Picking up the knife, Harry sliced his finger and let three drops of blood drip into the mixture as did Draco. They both cast a minor charm on each other's fingers, sealing the cuts, and then stirred the potion three more times each with their wands.

"With this mixture of our blood and our oath, we do seal ourselves to this Oath." Harry said softly, leaning over the goblet so that his breath caused the mixture, now a pale red color, to ripple slightly. Draco then bent over the potion and spoke so that his breath also caused ripples to form. "Let none doubt our resolve."

As he finished, Draco stirred the potion three more times, and Harry followed suit. As Harry removed his wand from the solution, he put the wand down next to Draco's and picked up the goblet. He took three mouthfuls of the liquid, swallowing each with barely a grimace. As he handed the goblet to Draco, he felt a tingling sensation throughout his body, and his skin felt like it was being drawn tighter, a physical sensation of the bonding. Draco also took three mouthfuls of the potion, sighing softly as he felt its effects. Then Harry refilled the goblet from the bottle holding the remaining amount. At his nod, the first of the people in the circle stepped forward.

"I, Blaise Zabini," Blaise said, picking up the knife, slicing a finger and letting three drops of blood fall into the goblet before continuing, "do hereby accept the conditions of the Oath, and do hereby give my allegiance freely and without hesitation to Harold James Malfoy-Potter and Draconis Potter-Malfoy."

As the third drop fell into the potion, both Harry and Draco tapped the edge of the goblet with their wands three times, speaking the word 'bindus' on the third tap. Blaise picked up the goblet and took a single sip of the fluid. After stepping back into the circle, Michael Conners, the seventh year Slytherin stepped forward and stood before the goblet, repeating the words and actions of Blaise. The ceremony repeated exactly the same until Pansy stepped forward. Unlike Blaise and the others, she added in a phrase after her name, forswearing all previous allegiances. After she took a sip from the goblet, she gasped and pulled the robe of her sleeve up. The mark on her arm was glowing white, and the smell of burning flesh filled the room. After a minute, the mark was gone, replaced by a blackened circle that could never be removed.

Millicent Bulstrode also used the phrases that Pansy had used, and her mark was likewise obliterated, as were two others. Once the last person had made the oath and rejoined the circle, Draco removed everything but the silver goblet from the granite plinth on which it rested. Harry raised up the goblet and let the last three drops of the potion fall onto it. Then both he and Draco took up their wands and rested them in the drops of liquid on the plinth.

"Let this stone serve as marker of what we have sworn this night." Harry said, then cast an incantation in unison with Draco. There was a flash of white light, and when Harry could see again the plinth of stone had become milky white with twelve swirls of crimson flowing through it. A sudden wave of dizziness struck both him and Draco, and they leaned against each other for support, feeling drained.

"Let's head downstairs for refreshments." Draco said softly, and the circle disbanded.

Harry was the last to leave the room and looked back at the plinth, wondering where the path he was following would lead. Kreacher and two of the other house elves had shown up immediately after the last Slytherin left the room and had cleaned up the circle and covered the milky-white plinth with an exquisite mahogany box before setting a marble bust of Sirius Black on top of it. It stood in the middle of the room, a monument to Harry's fallen godfather. Harry wanted to call this the Sirius Library, and he hoped his godfather wouldn't be too upset at covering the symbol of the Oath.

Harry was pretty sure that Sirius would not have objected. Sirius had come from a pureblood, aristocratic family, and had still retained many of their values despite everything he went through in life. While he opposed the violence of Voldemort, his own actions at times had shown he still held many of his initial beliefs. It was a very real possibility that he'd been caught up in the 'all or nothing' attitude that Dumbledore's resistance to Voldemort had fostered. That thought comforted Harry as he closed the door and prepared to join his fellows downstairs in the great dining room. A light meal had been prepared and he sat at the head of the great mahogany table with Draco at the other end.

That was when he realized he would really be hating formal dinners. Draco had insisted that this dinner be formal, instead of the informal meal Harry had wanted. He'd argued that the formality of the dinner would work to further bolster the opinions of the newly bound Slytherins that Harry Potter was different than the unkempt Gryffindor they remembered from the last few years.

Conversations as people ate were relatively muted. The seventh years focused mostly on the N.E.W.T. exams and what they hoped to be doing once they graduated. Harry had already written recommendation letters for eight of them to various Ministry positions. They'd be starting in lower administration positions, but in the years to come, they'd slowly work their way upwards. The rest were looking at joining family business or working in the International Wizarding Markets, all positions that would give them access to information and financing that would be useful years to come. Across from him, Draco smiled, and Harry returned the smile. In his head he could feel an awareness of the people who had sworn the oath. He knew from his studies that he wouldn't be able to tell where they were, or what they were thinking, but this awareness did tell him that they were alive; and if they were in pain he would know it.

He didn't relish the idea of any of them dying since he knew he would feel that as well.

By midnight, the last of their guests had left except for Crabbe and Goyle, who were staying the night and returning with them in the morning. That night, they finally got a chance to break in their new bed. Harry slept very well, and woke up feeling extremely refreshed for the trip back to Hogwarts.

The train took them to Hogsmeade as usual and they shared the carriage ride back with Crabbe and Goyle, who were openly holding hands. It was the first sign of affection Harry ever remembered seeing between the two, and the smiles on their faces actually greatly reduced their ugliness.

The tents near the Quidditch field were long gone and he noticed that the Ravenclaw team was out practicing. He idly wondered who their new Seeker would be, but forced thoughts of Cho from his mind. McGonagall was waiting for them at the entrance and dragged Harry off to a meeting with Dumbledore. That meeting lasted throughout lunch and Harry got the distinct impression that Dumbledore was suspicious of him. There was no news of Voldemort or the fleeing Death Eaters, and it was widely speculated that they were hiding in continental Europe. Dumbledore spent a lot of the time talking about his planned speech that night and his plans for the immediate future of the school. By the time they were done, most of the afternoon was over with. Draco was in the Slytherin common room so Harry decided to go and see his fellow Gryffindors, remembering their anger at his not spending time with them.

He ended up playing exploding snap with Seamus, Ginny, and Hermione until it was dinner time. He felt uncomfortable the entire time he was there. The room was laden with grief, and he sorely felt the absence of Dean and Neville. The lecture from Hermione on how unusual it was for a year group to lose so many members during the course of their time at Hogwarts didn't help much either. She seemed to still not have accepted that Neville was not coming back, although she harbored no ill-will towards Harry or Draco.

Dinner was unusual. The hall would fluctuate between loud laughter and moments of uncomfortable silence. It reminded Harry of the ocean where waves would come in, then go back out. As dessert appeared on the table and he picked at the pudding half-heartedly, Dumbledore rose to give the expected speech.

"Students, Professors, Staff," Dumbledore began in his usual way, "Tomorrow we resume our classes after what has proven to be both a great victory and a great loss. Never before in the history of this school has Hogwarts been attacked. The fact that our preparations for such an attack were proven worthy and our defenses adequate are comforting, but it is still something to be saddened about. In the past few days we have seen the best that we can be, the worst that we can be, and we have seen that we are equal to any task set before us. Not one student was killed in the attack on this school, although one student did give his life in an engagement elsewhere. As we begin classes tomorrow, and as you seek your beds tonight, remember that you are safe here, and that you will be protected.

"Now, I know many of you wonder if the school will be relaxed now in our efforts to prepare you for the threat posed by enemy. Unfortunately he remains at large, and until he is captured, we cannot ignore him. I encourage everyone not to relax too much in your relief. I recommend that you continue your participation in the D.A. sessions. N.E.W.T.S will be pushed back for three days to allow seventh year students time to prepare. This means that seventh years students will have to forego a weekend off in order to take the exams, but I believe that it is an equitable trade. Why so many groans? Oh well. Madame Pomfrey has informed me that Ronald Weasley is sufficiently recovered to resume his Head Boy duties, and I have refused his offered resignation. He DOES have the time to fulfill those duties, and I have full confidence in him. Marjorie Alton from Ravenclaw will assume the duties of Head Girl from this day forward, and Seamus Finnegan will assume the place of Neville Longbottom in the Defenders. Seamus, you have some pretty big robes to fill, but I believe you will be able to perform admirably. Professor McGonagall will announce the new Prefect for Gryffindor House first thing in the morning to replace Mr. Finnegan. Now I have six more words for you - bebop, tobop, lewie, strewie. Good night."

While the rest of the Gryffindors cheered a blushing Seamus, Harry handed him a new badge for the Defenders. Neville's had been buried with him. Hermione gave the Irish boy a hug, causing him to blush some more. After dinner, he joined the other Gryffindors once more in their common room for a celebratory party. Ron showed up, looking pale but with a determined expression on his face and crossed the room to join Harry.

"Harry, can I speak to you?" He asked in a voice that was half-pleading.

"Sure thing, Ron." Harry smiled. "I've always got time to talk to my best friend."

That caused Ron to blush slightly and smile. They left the common room and went down to the Head Boy's room that Ron occupied. It was closer than Harry's quarters, and he had every intention of returning to the party upstairs. They sat in the common room Ron shared with the Head Girl after Ron explained that she was in the Ravenclaw common room celebrating.

"Harry," Ron began after a short silence where they just looked at each other. "I'm sorry. I haven't been a good friend to you lately. I saw you changing, becoming more like Malfoy every day and I just pushed you away. I thought you wouldn't want…you wouldn't want anything to do with me because I'm so poor."

"Ron," Harry began in a soft voice. "You're the first friend I've ever had in my life. You're the best friend anyone could ever hope to have. We're growing up here, and we're both changing, but that doesn't mean we have to lose that friendship. You will always be the first friend I ever had, and that means a lot. I know that your family doesn't have money like Draco's, Zabini's, or the others, but I don't really care about that. You have something they don't; a loving, caring, warm home and I admire that. All of you welcomed me with open arms and were there for me when no one else was. I'll never forget that and I'll always be grateful."

"Then why did you do things like get me those new robes and the chess set and everything?" Ron asked, his voice rising a little.

"Because I can." Harry said, showing some exasperation. "You guys shared your love and your family with me! I wanted to return the favor and share some of the good fortune I have with you. You guys may not have a lot of money to share, but what you do have you do share with me and with others. I haven't had a loving, caring family with me, and you guys gave me something that I didn't have. I want to return the favor and share something that I have, but that you don't. It's not charity, it's an equal trade because what you and your family give me is as valuable as gold to me! Truth be told, it's more valuable and I still owe the lot of you for everything you've ever done!"

"When the hell did you get so good with words?" Ron asked, a look of surprise on his face.

"Draco." Harry said with a smile.

"Oh, great, now I owe Malfoy a thank you." Ron muttered, a sly grin appearing on his face. "Maybe I'll walk around in the buff next time I'm over your place."

"Oh Merlin, Ron." Harry said with a groan. "That's not something I want to deal with."

"Okay, Harry." Ron said with a smile. "I can accept the…gifts as long as you just keep it to a minimum, birthdays and holidays and things. I won't be…offended anymore. Just one thing though?"

"Name it, Ron." Harry said with a smile.

"I really like having the best broom out there!" Ron said with a wicked smile.

"Keep dreaming bud." Harry said with a smile.

"Okay, how about a chess set with Malfoy as the king? That way I can see him crushed every time I win." Ron said with another smile, his voice getting excited.

"Ron!" Harry exclaimed in mock anger, then the two of them broke up in laughter. When the laughter ended, Ron got a sad look on his face.

"What is it, Ron?" Harry asked gently.

"Hermione." Ron said, and Harry understood a little.

"Oh." Harry said, unsure what else to say.

"She told me about Neville and her in the hospital right before you all came back. She picked Neville over me, and then he came back dead. She hasn't spoken to me since."

"I'm sorry Ron." Harry whispered, watching the hurt look in Ron's eyes. He really did wear his emotions on his sleeve. No wonder Snape hated him.

"I just wish we were friends again." Ron said slowly. "I miss her, and I missed you and it was just so lonely. I feel so lost. Hell, I don't even know what I want to do with my life after school!"

"You have a whole year to think about that Ron." Harry reminded him. "You got me back now, and Hermione will come around, at least as a friend, eventually. Just give her some time. As for your future in life…let me know if there's anything I can do."

"Dad says you're like a god over at the Ministry." Ron said softly. "They're even talking about how you'll probably be Minister of Magic someday. There's even talk about lowering the age requirement so you can take it when Fudge retires in a few years."

"Won't happen, Ron." Harry said with a smile. "I don't want the job. I'll just tell whoever gets it what to do."

"You know what's sad, Harry?" Ron said with a wan smile. Harry shook his head and Ron continued. "I'm not sure if you're serious or joking."

"Joking of course!" Harry lied easily. His friend chuckled, the wary look leaving his face. Soon they were talking of Quidditch, and decided to head back upstairs to the Gryffindor common room. Ron wanted to bet that they could beat Seamus and Creevey at exploding snap.

Harry made it back to his room just before midnight, smiling when he passed Filch. The man looked absolutely disgusted at seeing a student out of bed at this time of the night and not being able to do anything about it. Harry barely held his laughter in once he got into this room, but seeing Draco asleep in their bed helped him to stay quiet. He disrobed, not really caring if Draco got upset in the morning at seeing a two hundred galleon robe lying on the floor, and curled up in the bed against his lover. He went to sleep with a smile on his face.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ron had left the Gryffindor common room soon after Harry had. Unlike Harry though, he didn't fall asleep immediately. He lay in the bed, curtains open, and stared out the window at the night sky. After dinner, Dumbledore had summoned him to the Headmaster's office and they'd had a long conversation, most of it about Harry. As he lay there in his bed he thought about conversations he'd had that night, and realized that the things Dumbledore had said were right.

Something was different with Harry Potter, and he wasn't sure if those differences were for the better or for the worse.

The comment about the Minister of Magic position had rolled off Harry's tongue too quickly for him to not have thought about it before. The whole time they were talking, Harry had almost seemed like his old self until they started talking about the future. Then the new Harry had come back, and his face had reminded Ron more of Malfoy than of Harry Potter. Cool, aristocratic, and hiding far more than it revealed.

He let out a sigh and rolled over, switching his gaze to the stone walls of the keep instead of the window. Percy's betrayal had hurt his family greatly, and he could see the fear in his mother's eyes as she looked at him. Everyone but him had carved out a niche for themselves. Even Ginny had plans, but he could feel his parents worry for him. They thought he was on the same track as Percy had been, doomed to become bitter about his family's quirky reputation and to fall to evil. They couldn't see that he'd learned the lessons Percy had forgotten.

Dumbledore at least recognized that.

Ron loved Quidditch, even though he wasn't a great player. Dumbledore had helped him secure a summer internship with the Chudley Cannons, his favorite team. Once he graduated, he'd get a job with them and work his way up to a coaching position. Sure, it wasn't as good as playing on the team, but it was better than not being involved at all. He really should have told Harry instead of saying he wasn't sure about his future, but he wanted to here if Harry had made plans for him, or would try to manipulate him like a Slytherin would.

Still, he had agreed to keep an eye on Harry for Dumbledore. Essentially the Ministry had declared Harry a legal adult over the course of this term and Harry had already stated his intentions of not returning to the Dursley's for the summer. Dumbledore had been worried, but could no longer force Harry to go there. Instead, Ron would ask Harry if he could stay at Black Manor when he wasn't working with the Cannons. His mother had reluctantly agreed as well once Dumbledore made it official Order business. Harry would be pissed if he ever found out, but Ron would just have to make sure that never happened. Dumbledore had said Hermione would be there as well, and that hurt even more. He still loved her, and missed her friendship terribly. Maybe they could rebuild that.

He was surprised when his door opened. Only a few people knew the password. His surprise grew when he recognized Hermione in the dim light. Tears glistened on her cheeks as she stood there looking at him. He froze in surprise, and the room was silent until she spoke.

"Oh, Ron." Hermione's voice was ragged with her crying, but she rushed towards him, her arms held open wide and he took her into his arms, whispering comforting words to her as she cried into his shoulder.

Suddenly all was right with the world as he realized his friendship with Hermione had never ended. He noticed she had stopped crying and her breathing was slow and steady like it always was when she slept. Gently he laid her on the bed, taking her shoes off before pulling the covers over her. He grabbed a pillow and an extra sheet and slept on the couch, losing consciousness as soon as his head hit the pillow.

© 1997-2022 J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, Scholastic Press; All Rights Reserved; Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling, Everything else belongs to dkstories
  • Like 25
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Harry's become a very different character, it's a unique twist turning him into a snake. Thanks for the good work.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Harry is no longer a teenager, but an evolving young man.  He is now a synthesis of his commitments and traits as both a Gryffindor and Slytherin but now more equally balanced. I don't like that Dumbledore is manipulating Ron to spy on Harry.  Dumbledore seems a bit jealous of Harry's power and Harry's determination of using that power.  

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..