Jump to content
    dkstories
  • Author
  • 4,256 Words
  • 6,555 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>

Harry Potter and the Sword of Gryffindor - 8. Chapter 8

“I told you to empty yourself of emotion!” Snape’s voice was sharp.

“Yeah? Well, I’m finding that hard at the moment.” Harry snarled

“Then you will find yourself easy prey for the Dark Lord!” said Snape savagely. “Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily – weak people, in other words – they stand no chance against his powers! He will penetrate your mind with absurd ease, Potter!”

It had been a long time since Snape had uttered those words to him, but their truth as proven later, were no less true now. Harry Potter shuddered at the memory, and thought about his hatred of the Potions Professor. It was not based just on those lessons, but on the events in Dumbledore’s office after Sirius’ death. Still, Draco had often said the same to him over the last few months and they were both right. In Dumbledore's office, after Sirius had died, Harry had needed to hate someone, something, and Snape had been very convenient.

He’d been getting better at controlling himself, his emotions, and his dreams. Draco had shown him how to control them better than Snape ever could, and had also shown him how to let them free when they were in private. The Draco Malfoy he knew in the privacy of their room was a far different creature than anyone else ever saw. One night when they were sharing childhood memories, Draco had mentioned that no one had seen this private, emotional Draco since he’d reach the age of 10.

Those were Draco’s last words for an hour as Harry covered his lips with his own.

Now, they were riding in a muggle limousine. Or at least that’s what it appeared to be as they got inside outside King’s Cross Station. Inside it was as luxurious as anything Harry had ever seen. He sat next to Draco as the Mercedes moved out of London and towards the Malfoy estates. A bang similar to that of the Knight’s bus, but much more gentle on the occupants announced the magical nature of the vehicle and they were soon pulling up to Malfoy Manor. Draco had shown him pictures of his ancestral home, and Harry was glad that he knew what to expect. Across from Harry, Tonks and Professor Snape sat next to each other uncomfortably. Neither had liked the assignment as escorts for Harry and Draco, but Tonks liked it even less.

Harry just hoped that Snape’s reputation as a family friend was enough to not draw his loyalties under too much scrutiny.

As they exited the vehicle, Harry tugged at his fancy robes, wishing wistfully for the more comfortable casual clothes he usually wore over the holidays. His change in dressing habits had become a point of contention between he and Ron lately. At first he had thought Ron was just giving him a bad time, but lately Ron’s voice held more scorn than good natured ribbing.

Thoughts of his friend left his head as they entered the Malfoy home and were greeted by an elegantly dressed Narcissa. He changed his mind about wishing for more casual clothes as he saw the look of approval on her face as she glanced at him. Draco noticed it and stood a little straighter if that was even possible. Harry had been practicing mercilessly in adopting the manners Draco had grown up with, and he hoped it was enough for these types of situations, even if they did feel unnatural.

“Welcome home, son.” Narcissa said formally, extending her hand. Draco took it and bowed formally over it, giving it a soft kiss.

“Mother.” He said as he released her hand. “Let me introduce you to the one I intend to be my spouse. Mother, this is Harry Potter. Harry, this is my mother, Narcissa Malfoy.”

“A pleasure.” Harry said formally, taking her hand and kissing it as Draco had done. She smiled at him as he straightened.

“The pleasure is mine, young man.” She said formally, smiling more. “I must say you bear little resemblance to the young man I met at the Quidditch match years ago. It is good to make your acquaintance once more.”

“Mother, you also remember Professor Snape.” Draco continued in his formal tones. Snape stepped forward and bowed his head slightly while Narcissa acknowledged him.

“This is Nymphadora Tonks.” Draco introduced the Auror who just nodded at Narcissa with a cold gleam in her eyes. Narcissa just drew in a breath sharply and nodded at the Auror. Of course the two women knew each other, they were cousins after all. Still, with a muggle parent it was unlikely Tonks had ever really spent time with Narcissa before.

“All of you are quite welcome.” She said after a moment. A house elf came up behind her then and she waved it forward. “Goby here will show you to your rooms. Once you’ve settled yourselves and washed up, I’d like to invite you downstairs for some tea.”

“Of course, mother.” Draco said with a smile as he led Harry and the others after the house elf. The little elf squealed its delight at having Master Malfoy back and showed Tonks to a room with a glower. Snape’s was right across from her room. The next room down was Draco’s, and the house elf made it clear the Mistress expected they would wish to share. Draco shooed it away, politely, and Harry was unsurprised to see their trunks had already arrived. Having already been told by Draco they’d be expected to change, Harry began pulling off the clothes he’d traveled in, washed his face in the basin against a wall, then changed into the green jacket with golden lions that Draco had bought him. Both of them were silent, and wouldn’t talk much privately until Tonks had swept the room for magical listening devices.

Together they left the room, and found Snape waiting for them. The Professor was dressed in similar knee-length coat of pure black, except for silver lines that vaguely resembled cauldrons scrolling around his sleeves. Draco was wearing a similar coat of blue with silver dragons on his sleeve. Snape snorted, but nodded approvingly at them as they made their way downstairs. Harry walked on Draco’s right, while Snape walked two paces behind them. Narcissa was waiting for them in a drawing room that let in a good deal of sunlight. She stood as they came in, and the three men once again kissed her hand before she invited them to sit.

“Tonks sends her regrets, mother.” Draco said as they sat. He was sitting in a chair next to Harry while Snape sat on their left with his mother across from them. “She was quite tired from the journey.”

“Indeed,” Narcissa said, accepting the polite fiction for what it was. “I do hope she shall be rested before dinner. I have had the house elves working for days to get it ready!”

“I am sure she will be fine.” Snape said politely. Harry felt shocked the man was so being polite!

“Of course, so my son, how is your school year progressing so far?” Narcissa asked.

As Draco answered politely, Harry let his attention wander. He sipped tea and noticed the portraits were all whispering to each other and realized they were probably all discussing the newest possible addition to the family line. As Draco talked about an achievement or another in a class, Harry studied Narcissa’s elegant frame and wondered why he wasn’t killing her right then. The woman had been responsible for Sirius’ death and here he was just sipping tea while she talked with her son!

He felt another pair of eyes on him, and looked up to see Snape now staring at him. The Professor’s gaze reminded him of the meeting last year between the two of them and Sirius. Snape had told him at time of his private lessons being scheduled in Occlumensy. The two men had argued and fought, and the result had heightened Harry’s distrust of Snape, and contributed to his terrible failure at those lessons. A failure that had led to Sirius’ death.

Yes, this polite fiction of civility was necessary and he would participate. Even if Narcissa’s first words did hit him like a spike into the stomach.

“So, Mr. Potter,” Narcissa said in those cultured tones she loved. “Please accept my condolences on the loss of your godfather. I understand he was the last connection you have to your parents? It must be a hard time for you.”

“Thank you, ma’am.” Harry said in a refined tone, barely containing his anger. “And please, call me Harry. Sirius’ loss was indeed a hard blow. I was delighted to become acquainted with him over the last few years and he’ll be sorely missed. It was like losing the last of my family.”

“I was under the impression you had family in the muggle world?” Narcissa said in questioning tones and with a raised eyebrow.

“Relatives on my mother’s side, yes.” Harry said with a negligent wave of his hand. “Dumbledore insists on my staying with them during the summer despite my distaste for them. I’d much rather stay in the Wizarding world.”

“Interesting.” Narcissa said with a strange look at him. “You are nothing like I expected, Harry. It seems that Draco must be a good influence on you.”

“And he on me as well, Mother.” Draco said, taking Harry’s free hand in his.

“I must say that I never expected to be welcoming Harry Potter into our family, either!” A familiar voice said from behind them. Harry, Draco and Snape jumped to their feet, and Narcissa rose gracefully, gliding across the room to where her husband stood. It was all Harry could do not to grab his wand. Lucius Malfoy was dressed as exquisitely as ever, but his face was more haggard and drawn than Harry remembered.

“Father!” Draco cried out after a moment of shock. Harry glanced at him and saw surprise warring with fear in his lover’s face. Draco looked over at Harry as if asking for permission and Harry moved the edges of his mouth up in a slight smile. That was all Draco needed to cross the room and hug his father. Lucius looked surprised, but smiled at his son and then nodded to Snape, but it was Harry who is eyes fell upon.

“We meet once more, Mr. Potter.” Lucius Malfoy said in guarded tones. “I take it from the fact that your wand is not in your hands we will not be repeating the events of our last meeting?”

“Not today.” Harry said simply and was shocked when Lucius Malfoy laughed. Draco moved back across the room and stood by Harry’s side in an obvious statement of where his priorities lay.

“Thanks to my son it appears never again, at least by my doing.” Lucius said curtly. “Do you mind if I join you for tea?”

“Of course.” Harry said, waving with his hand toward the empty chair that had been next to Narcissa. When Harry picked up his cup of tea he was so proud that his hand was not shaking.

“I hadn’t heard that you were, available, to be here for the holidays.” Harry said politely. He felt a subtle thrill at being able to insult Lucius Malfoy without really doing it directly. It was different than his childhood taunting matches with Draco, but just as fun.

“A recent development, I assure you.” Lucius said with a smile. “I wasn’t going to miss this important event in my son’s life.”

“We are honored.” Harry said with a slight bow of his head. “Not an easy trip to make just to meet your future son-in-law. How long will you be able to stay?”

“Oh, I think this new Harry Potter is much more delightable!” Lucius Malfoy chuckled. “I so despaired of having that insufferable prat I met in your second year as part of the family. I think I can live with this new Harry Potter.”

“How kind.” Harry murmured, a flash of his anger showing in his eyes.

“You might be able to live with him, father,” Draco drawled smoothly. “But can your associates?”

“I think they will be in for an unpleasant surprise when they face him again.” Lucius said with a smile, and for a moment hope rose in Harry.

“I would assume that you would not hesitate to inform them of the qualities of your future son-in-law.” Snape said quietly into the silence that followed that comment.

“When he accepts the bonding with my son in the ancient traditions, he will be part of my family.” Lucius said with a grimace. “Above all else, I am a Malfoy, and my family will always come first. That loyalty is something every Malfoy, whether they be family by blood or by marriage, accepts.”

“I see.” Harry said in a small voice. Doubts rose up in him at that point. If this is what was expected when he became engaged to Draco, he wasn’t sure how it would conflict with his loyalty to the Order. Where would his loyalty lie if the Malfoy family came between him and his vengeance on Voldemort?

“Do not worry about your war with the Dark Lord.” Lucius said smoothly. Obviously something in Harry’s face had given away his train of thought. “I will not give up my loyalty to him because of your involvement with my son, but neither will I participate in any actions against either of you. When the day comes, and it will come, that you stand against him in combat, I will either not be there or will stand aside.”

“What does he have to say to that?” Harry asked in a disbelieving tone.

“He was not…happy.” Lucius said, shifting in his chair uncomfortably. “I am, fortunately, more valuable to him than the average person. He needs my support and has accepted these strictures for now. He is not as…inconsiderate of his followers as some would have you believe.”

“I’ve seen him for myself.” Harry reminded the older man.

“Yes, well enough about him.” Lucius said, changing the subject. “Severus, tell me how the boys are doing in your course.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The next few days passed eerily for Harry. Tonks had to be kept under tight reign when she found out about Lucius Malfoy. She was halfway down the hallway with her wand out and fire in her eyes by the time Harry caught up to her. Harry had promised a truce, and she had promised Harry. He agreed with her that as soon as they were gone she could rush to the Ministry and inform them of Lucius’ escape.

Of course he’d be back in hiding by then.

Voldemort, and the conflict earlier in the year at the Ministry were never mentioned again. Instead, pleasant and polite discussions were held on every topic but those that might lead to those dangerous topics. They’d discussed Harry’s studies and both elder Malfoys had shown polite interest. Quidditch was a popular topic and the focus of many discussions. Lucius expressed his disappointment in Draco’s continued failure to beat Harry, which provided Harry an opportunity to delightedly relate the recent match where Draco had beaten him.

That brought about the warmest smile Harry ever saw on Lucius’ face.

Christmas morning came, and Harry was surprised at the fact that gifts were waiting for him from the Malfoy family. Several sets of fine robes and other attire were given to him, as well as a beautiful Wizard’s chess set. The pieces would reassemble after each match was played and were made from emeralds and rubies. Quite expensive and quite nice.

He was ashamed for a moment of his own gift to Narcissa, who apparently didn’t get the reference to Sirius’ animagi form until Lucius bent over and whispered into her ear. To Harry’s great surprise, she positively beamed at the insult he had intended.

Draco whispered to him that she had always appreciated a sharp wit and the subtle insult. Her reaction had been appreciation that Harry possessed those qualities and was unabashed at using them on her. Draco opined that she appreciated that quality in a future family member.

Positively, absolutely disgusting.

Tonks threw a fit when she couldn’t find any curses, hexes, or jinxes in any of the gifts. No subtle spells, no traps, nothing other than what they appeared to be. Even Draco’s new broom (his Christmas present) was exactly what it seemed…a top of the line model. She was absolutely, completely disgusted that not one trick could be detected in violation of the truce. She promised them she’d have the Order look them over more closely before they returned to Hogwarts.

Christmas night, following a massive dinner and a night spent in the drawing room discussing various wizard holidays and their histories, Harry lay awake thinking about the ceremony that would happen soon. He was nervous, as any person might be, but he knew that this commitment he was about to make would impact more lives than his own.

As the alarm spell woke Draco an hour before dawn, Harry was still lost in thought. The endless circles in his mind had worn him down. Exhausted, he still couldn’t sleep. Draco took one look at his face and knew what was going on.

“You’re going to back out?” Draco asked in a small, scared voice. Harry looked into his eyes and saw fear there. There were no facades here in private, between them. This was the Draco that had claimed his heart and he felt it lurching in his chest at the thought of leaving.

“Draco, I…I just don’t know.” Harry said softly. “I love you with all my heart…but all this about the ‘Malfoy family’ has me worried. I don’t know that I want all that. All I know is I want you.

“But it’s not just the Malfoy family.” Draco pointed out. “It’s also the Potter family.”

“What do you mean?” Harry asked, his confusion showing in his voice.

“Well, you see the ceremony binds two families together.” Draco explained. “Back in the old days when the Pureblood families feuded, they often solved the fights with marriages, and the families would end the feuds with this type of pledge.”

“So, this is somehow supposed to end the feud between me and Voldemort?” Harry asked.

“No, Voldemort isn’t part of the family. That’s why father said he wouldn’t hurt you directly or even participate in a plan against you, and why Voldemort accepted that. It’s part of the tradition of the pureblood families. Voldemort couldn’t oppose that without going against the very thing he’s carrying this war on for…the old ways. No, this ends the feud between you, my father, and my mother.”

“So, I’m going to be forgiving them for killing Sirius?” Harry exclaimed in horror at the thought. He felt that would a betrayal of Sirius that he just couldn’t accept.

“No, forgiveness isn’t implied at all.” Draco said, looking at him with a smile, his eyes gleaming behind silver-blond locks. “All it symbolizes is an end to the feud itself, and an agreement to not seek retribution.”

“Voldemort isn’t involved at all?” Harry asked again.

“No.” Draco said, and Harry accepted his word completely. They bathed quickly, and got dressed in very formal sets of robes. They had taken their bracelets off before bed that night and now Harry carried the golden bracelet in a pocket. Silently they went to the garden outside the manor, followed by Snape and Tonks, who were both also dressed in formal attire. Lucius Malfoy and his wife were waiting for them, as was an old man Harry did not recognize. The sleeves of his formal robe were drawn up above his elbows, and Harry could see that he did not have the dark mark on his arm.

“Harry, this is Phineas Tollworthy.” Lucius said as they approached. “He is a…neutral wizard that has the authority to conduct this ceremony. Is that acceptable?

When Harry nodded, the old wizard lowered the sleeves of his robe. Draco stood on his left, with his parents behind him. Snape and Tonks stood behind Harry. Traditionally that was the position his parents would assume, and had at first objected to Snape being there. He’d fought with Draco about it, but Draco had convinced him when he mentioned how it must irk Snape to stand as a member of Harry’s family. Harry’s attention returned to the present as the old wizard began speaking.

“Friends, family, we are gathered here in the dawning of the new day to witness the dawning of a new relationship between the families of Malfoy and Potter. Lucius Malfoy, Narcissa Malfoy of the Malfoy family, do you consent to the joining of your family line with this scion of the Potter line?”

“We do.” The two senior Malfoys said in unison.

“Severus Snape, Nymphadora Tonks, standing for James and Lily Potter and chosen by Harry Potter for this purpose, do you consent to this joining of the Potter family with the Malfoy family?”

“We do.” Snape and Tonks said, slightly out of unison. Tonks practically bit the words out. Harry would rather have had Arthur and Molly Weasley there, but that was impossible. On cue, Harry handed the golden bracelet to Phineas as Draco handed him the silver.

“Draconis Malfoy, your family has consented to your intentions with Harry James Potter. Are you ready to pledge yourself to marriage following the completion of the engagement trial?”

“I am.” Draco said, a gleam in his silver eyes as he faced Harry. “I pledge my fidelity, my love, and my honor to Harry Potter. I shall stand by his side, and accept his family as mine. His friends shall be my friends, his family my family so long as our pledges hold true.”

“This band shall serve as symbol of your pledge.” Phineas said placing the bracelet around Draco’s left wrist, which was held out for that purpose. Draco kept his arm out as the bracelet lay there, the ends dangling as his arm shook slightly.

“Harry Potter,” the Wizard continued and Harry held out his own left arm so that his fingers lightly rested on Draco’s. “your family also has consented to this arrangement with Draconis Malfoy. Are you ready to pledge yourself to marriage following the completion of the engagement trial?”

“I am” Harry said, his voice shaking slightly with the emotion he was feeling. All thoughts of Draco’s parents, Voldemort, or anyone but Draco were nowhere near his mind at the moment. All he thought about was this silver haired, gray eyed man before him, whose fingers were sending droplets of fire up his arm as they touched. He shivered uncontrollably as the silver Malfoy bracelet was placed on his wrist and recited the same words he had spoken to Draco. The wizard took out his wand out and waived it over their heads three times before lowering it over their wrists.

Guardius Pledgus Fidelis” The wizard said in a firm voice as he touched the two bracelets. The ends of each bracelet snapped together and fused until the bracelets were a complete whole. They glowed for a moment then settled into their normal color. The magical glow was replaced with a natural glow as the first rays of the rising sun reflected off of them. Harry felt a slight tingling sweep through him for a few moments.

“For one year and a day, you are now betrothed.” The old wizard said with a smile. “So long as you keep the pledge you have made today, these bands shall stand as symbols of your fidelity. Should you break this pledge, the bands shall fall from you, never again to be placed on your wrist. One year and a day from now, you may stand for marriage should the bands remain. Go now, and learn what it shall mean to be married.”

With a bow to the elder Malfoys and a smile for the couple, the wizard waved his wand and apparated out. Draco’s parents came forward and placed their arms on his shoulders, smiling at Harry. Snape and Tonks did the same for Harry.

“Shall we enjoy a last meal together before you leave?” Lucius said in a friendly voice. He was still smiling.

The breakfast was hearty, and for the first time since his arrival, Harry felt some of the love he felt when he was with Ron’s family. It was nowhere near as open and bubbly, or as warm, but it was there like an ice cold river flowing tranquilly through the room. Tonks even seemed to be in a pretty good mood, smiling at Harry with an affectionate look on her face.

The same car that had picked them up at the train station was waiting for them outside. When they arrived at the Black manor, they got out. Before they could even go inside, Tonks excused herself, disapparating to the Ministry to get a team for searching the Malfoy residence. In all likelihood Lucius was long gone, but she had to try. To Harry’s surprise, Dumbledore was waiting for them when they entered the manor and the look on his face was not a pleasant one.

“We have trouble, Harry.” He said in his deep voice. “A lot of trouble.”

© 1997-2022 J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, Scholastic Press; All Rights Reserved; Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling, Everything else belongs to dkstories
  • Like 26
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I really enjoyed the subtle insults to Lucius from Harry.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I was concerned about Harry the night before the official engagement, however Draco was able to help Harry understand the their engagement did not involve Moldiwart of forgiveness of Draco's parents.  The conversations between Harry and Draco's parents went well and Harry did score some points with his wit and insults.  This was a fun chapter to read.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..