Jump to content
    dkstories
  • Author
  • 2,551 Words
  • 8,815 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>

Harry Potter and the Sword of Gryffindor - 2. Chapter 2

“Order!” The voice of Madame Umbridge rang out through the courtroom. Harry had groaned when he saw that the woman was in charge of the Wizengamot. She had not gotten any nicer since her escape from Hogwarts in disgrace and not even the amount of sucking up Malfoy had done while she was there was likely to help him. The pinched look on her face promised that this was not going to be a fun event for the accused.

The courtroom was packed with people. Harry had claimed a seat from an older wizard sitting behind Malfoy’s table with a glance. The man took one look at his face…and the scar on his forehead and rose with a clumsy bow before finding a seat further back in the room. The table around Umbridge was filled with wizards and witches, all looking quite nasty. Dumbledore sat with Malfoy directly in front of Harry and had barely glanced at him when he entered.

That was a good thing, really. Harry was still right pissed with the old coot.

“There will be no outbursts today!” Umbridge nearly screeched from her seat at the high table. “This proceeding of the Wizengamot will proceed in full accordance of the law! Now, since the accused is present, as well as his…defender…we shall proceed. Draconis Malfoy, you stand accused of violating the Ministry’s regulations regarding the use of magical apparatus in view of muggles, improper underage use of magic, and of serving the Dark Lord by attacking Harry James Potter. If you are ready to plead guilty we can get this over with!”

“Young Mister Malfoy is not ready to plead guilty to being a servant of Voldemort because he is not.” Dumbledore said in his kind voice with a touch of humor.

“But he pleads guilty to the other charges?” Umbridge pointed out, leaning forward like a hawk stooping on its prey.

“We will address that later,” Dumbledore rumbled on. “First we would like to clear up this issue of his…allegiances.”

“It is well known at Hogwarts that Mr. Malfoy was all but promised to the Dark Lord. His father is in Azkaban right now after joining You Know Who in an attack on the Ministry itself!” Umbridge spat back at her hated rival.

“Promised by his parents, maybe.” Dumbledore allowed softly. “But neither the promises of the parents nor their actions are proof of the guilt of Mr. Malfoy. He has refused the Dark Mark and foresworn all allegiance to Voldemort.”

“But he attacked Harry Potter!” One of the other Wizards at the high table exclaimed, earning a dirty, but approving look from Umbridge.

“Mr. Potter and Mr. Malfoy have been…rivals ever since their arrival at Hogwarts.” Dumbledore said in a slightly amused tone. “Indeed, their rivalry is something that will be whispered to first years for generations to come. I cannot even begin to list the number of points they have lost for their houses, the number of detentions they have served over the years, or the number of trips they have given each other to the infirmary.”

“Your inability to run a proper school is well known, Headmaster.” Umbridge said with a sneer. “That does not excuse the attack by Mr. Malfoy!”

“No, it does not.” Dumbledore said in a very serious tone. “Mr. Malfoy made a very bad error in judgment when he traveled to Mr. Potters home and hexed him. Neither boy was even hurt to the point they had to see a healer though and if it had occurred at school, they would both be serving detention. Azkaban is not warranted. Mr. Malfoy was acting out of grief caused by the actions of his father and the hospitalization of his mother. He has rejected service to Voldemort, and such a rejection from one who has been raised to serve the Dark Lord must be nurtured. Give him to the custody of Hogwarts and we will work with him to ensure that such an event does not occur again.”

“He has broken the law!” Umbridge screeched, but Harry could see that many of the wizards and witches around her were wavering. Malfoy was sitting tall and proud, and while Harry could not see his face he had an idea that it was cool and emotionless. Pure Malfoy.

“Your honor,” Harry said rising from his chair.

“You have no right to address this court, Mr. Potter!” Umbridge screeched.

“I was the one who was attacked!” Harry said angrily. “I do believe that gives me some right of speech!”

“You will speak when we call you!” Umbridge shouted back.

“Malfoy’s already admitted his guilt to everything but serving Voldemort.” Harry said, pleased at how everyone but Dumbledore flinched at that name. “I’ve fought Voldemort and his Death Eaters for the past five years! I’ve watched helplessly while they killed people, and I’ve survived their attempts on my own life! A few months ago I watched my Godfather die in this very building! I know when people are trying to kill me and I know when people are Death Eaters. Malfoy is neither.”

“ORDER!” Umbridge shouted as the room erupted in pandemonium. Somewhere a camera flashed and Harry just stood there, staring at Umbridge. His attention faltered a bit when Dumbledore turned towards him with a smile and a twinkle in his eyes, but he was far to angry to acknowledge that glance. The room didn’t quiet down until Umbridge ordered the Aurors to clear the room. When the Auror tried to get Harry to leave, it only took a glare to change his mind. Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived, was not going to be bullied anymore.

“Good, now that we have order, again, where were we?” Umbridge stated a little huffily as the room stood empty and quiet.

“I believe Mr. Potter was about to tell us how he thinks Mr. Malfoy should be punished.” Dumbledore said, that blasted twinkle back in his eyes.

“Um, yes, go on Mr. Potter. This isn’t a classroom and we don’t have all day to waste.” Umbridge said sourly.

“Yes, well.” Harry started, before pausing and taking a deep breath. He hadn’t really thought this far ahead. Typical Gryffindor leaping without looking…

“Well, we’re waiting.” Umbridge sneered.

“I agree, Professor Umbridge, that Hogwarts would be far too lenient a punishment, but I also agree that sending him to Azkaban would only guarantee him death.” Harry said, thinking out loud. He had to take a page from Malfoy’s book and suck up to her. “Last year at Hogwarts you taught me that punishment that doesn’t hurt isn’t really a punishment. My hand remembers that very well.”

“It didn’t seem to have an effect at the time.” Umbridge said with a snort.

“I’m a Gryffindor,” Harry said with a shrug and grin. “It takes a while for things to sink in at times.”

He knew he had their attention when everyone started to laugh at his joke. He looked around the room and took the moment of their laughter to think a little harder. What could Malfoy’s punishment be that would be harsh enough to make them happy without sending him to Azkaban…and why the hell did he care? Ah hell…

“Mr. Malfoy was raised by an old, proud, pure-blood family.” Harry continued as the laughter died down. He was still thinking out loud. “He was raised to hate muggles and muggle-born. For six years he and I have been rivals. We don’t get along and he’s always been a superior ass to me.”

That got another round of laughter.

“He’s also been taught to despise poorer families like the Weasely family. They are good people, I consider them my second family. But he hates them just because they aren’t as wealthy as he is.”

“So what are you saying here?” The wizard to Umbridge’s left asked.

“Make him live with those that he hates. Make him see the lies he was raised with.” Harry said softly. Malfoy sat up in his chair and looked at Harry with an expression of utter horror, something that was not missed by most of the people on the Wizengamot.

“So, you want us to release him to your custody?” Umbridge said, her voice sarcastic. “You aren’t even an adult yet! You’ve been before a tribunal yourself last year and you should have been before a tribunal for your actions a few months ago! Why should you be any kind of a role model for him?”

“Because Harry has been a leader in the fight against Voldemort.” Dumbledore said, taking up the narration. “Yes, yes, I think he’s on to something here. Mr. Potter was to stay with his Aunt’s family for another 3 weeks. Then he was to spend the rest of the summer with Arthur Weasely and his family. A fine Ministry employee, Mr. Weasely is. Yes, yes, think about this. Three weeks among muggles, of course we’ll put Mr. Malfoy under the guardianship of Mr. Potter’s Aunt while he stays there, but it will be Mr. Potter who will be spending most of his time with the boy. Then he will spend the rest of the holiday with the Weasely family. I do believe that will provide an opportunity for Mr. Malfoy to see the error of his ways. Then he’ll return to Hogwarts where he will be closely monitored. Far more closely than he has been in the past.”

“He attacked Mr. Potter and now you want us to put him with Mr. Potter where he can do it again?” One of the Wizards who had so far remained silent shouted.

“I…I won’t.” Malfoy mumbled.

“What was that Mr. Malfoy?” Umbridge said sharply.

“I won’t attack him.” Malfoy replied in a firmer voice. “I’ll obey whatever rules you place on me, just, please don’t send me to Azkaban!”

“Here, here.” Dumbledore rumbled, rocking back and forth a bit. “Mr. Malfoy is still a juvenile. Azkaban is far to harsh, although I dare say for someone with Mr. Malfoy’s history being surrounded by muggles and the Weasely clan will seem even worse.”

“Mr. Potter, you will stay with Mr. Malfoy at all times?” Umbridge asked, a weird smile on her face.

“Yes, ma’am.” Harry replied.

“And do you expect that you won’t have any problems with this?” Another of the Wizards behind her asked.

“It won’t be easy.” Harry said. “But it might be worth it.”

“All those in favor of the proposed punishment?” Umbridge asked. Harry was surprised when every hand in the room was raised. Umbridge smiled again. “Very well then. Understand that the homes in question will be under Auror surveillance at all times. Any incidents of violence or magic use by either Mr. Malfoy OR Mr. Potter will result in Mr. Malfoy being sent to Azkaban without delay or further trial. It is so ordered.”

The wizards and witches stood, all leaving with parting glances at the two young men and their Headmaster. Dumbledore stared at Harry for the longest time before patting Harry on the shoulder and departing. Two Aurors came in then, and began releasing the spells that held Malfoy’s hands together. Malfoy stood and allowed them to guide him towards Potter. They stopped there, while the two stared at each other for the longest time.

“Hi.” Harry said at last, extending his hand forward. “I’m Harry Potter. Want to be friends?”

*~*~*~*~*~*

“I swear if I have to read one more note from Ron and Hermione saying I’ve gone crazy I’m going to strangle them!” Harry said in a very frustrated voice. He was sitting in Dudley’s second room, at the desk, reading another parchment from his two friends. Behind him, on the bed, Malfoy was reading a potions text. The door had been locked behind them by a very unhappy Uncle Vernon.

“It’s been a week, Potter.” Malfoy said with sneer in his voice. “The…I mean Granger still sending you book-length diatribes on how evil you are for sticking by me?”

“It’s down to two pages and just the last year of incidents.” Harry said with a chuckle. “I never realized just how many times you two ran across each other.”

“Believe me,” Malfoy said with a sigh, “I wish it was far less. Every year when I came back Father always compared my grades to hers. Every time she outscored me I got punished.”

“How long?” Harry asked, already having learned that Lucius Malfoy believed the Cruciatus was far more effective than any belt.

“One minute per point higher.” Malfoy sighed. “He was nice and didn’t make me do more than one minute at a time. He’d spread them out over a couple of days. What got him really mad was whenever you beat me at Quidditch. That got me two minutes.”

“Ouch.” Harry said, his own memories of that curse telling him just how bad that was.

“You know, I think I might give a minute under that curse just to get out of this room! Do they always lock you in here?” Malfoy asked, staring at the door with a look of anger and longing.

“Yes.” Harry sighed."Well, this last summer they didn't because several...friends threatened them. But, well, they talked to an Auror after you were brought here who suggested that you be kept locked up as much as possible. Since I'm not going to leave you alone up here, I get locked up too."

“And this is supposed to make me appreciate Muggles how?” Malfoy asked in a tone much more like his old self.

“I already told you, I was flying by the seat of my pants in that hearing.” Harry responded with a rueful chuckle.

“Typical Gryffindor, jump first and don’t even look if there’s water.” Malfoy said with a chuckle.

“Don’t get too comfortable on that bed.” Harry reminded his ‘guest’.

“Oh, c’mon Potter!” Malfoy whined. He was good at that. “It’s big enough for both of us! Don’t make me sleep on the floor again! My back is already killing me!”

“Oh, all right!” Harry finally gave in. Besides, Malfoy hadn’t said “mudblood” or “weasel” in three days. He’d come close, but not actually said those words. “But if you hit me in your sleep I’m going to make you regret it in the morning!”

“Deal, Potter!” Malfoy said, shaking his head to clear the bangs out of his eyes and giving Harry a bright smile. So different from any smile he’d ever seen before from Malfoy. The smile that was the only reason he’d said ‘no’ every other night since Draco had started staying with him. Oh well, he had more than enough control until they went to stay with the Weasely family.

“BEDTIME” Uncle Vernon yelled as he banged on the door. Harry pulled off his t-shirt and pants then turned out the lights as Malfoy finished pulling off his expensive dress slacks. The bed wasn’t that big, but it was big enough that they could both lie flat on their backs without touching. Still, Harry could feel the heat from Draco’s arm as they laid side by side. He willed his body not to react to the heat of another human body so close to him, but as sleep overtook him he wondered how successful that was.

© 1997-2022 J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, Scholastic Press; All Rights Reserved; Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling, Everything else belongs to dkstories
  • Like 24
  • Love 6
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Okay, I'm just blown away...it reads just a little lighter than Ms Rowling. With the exception of making Petunia almost nice this is top shelf Potter.

Thanks for posting this where we mudbloods can read it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

So far I'm liking it.

There were snippets in JK's books about Petunia's 'nicer' side, but I'm not sure how I feel about it being so overt. I also like the slow build up of Harry and Draco's friendship.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I definitely like HP stories where HP stands up for himself and leverages his Slytherin side.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Lovely twist and so in character, Harry standing up for what's right versus his own personal agenda. Draco is even somewhat more redeeming, which is a fun twist. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This is the second HP fan story I am reading, as I told the other author reading these story's has been a real eye opener for me. After reading the originals I felt that nothing could transport me in to the HP world with the same intense love of the story's.

But I am really glad to say that I have now found two story's that transport me to that same enjoyment as the originals of JK Rowling.

This may only be chapter 2 but I am hooked.

Thanks.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I like that Harry uses his power as the "Boy who lived" to stand up to the system, especially since it is represented by Umbridge.  I also liked that he offered his friendship to Draco after the trial.  Draco is as abused by his father as much as Harry has been by Vernon.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..