Jump to content
    dkstories
  • Author
  • 4,607 Words
  • 6,200 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Mercedes Lackey, Tor Publishing and their inheritors. <br>

Tests of Blood - 21. Chapter 21

It was small wonder that mages had gone through so much trouble over the years in trying to create a Permanent Gate. When Dalen finished the trip to k’Chona Vale, a journey many times further than he’d ever tried before, he felt no more drained than he would have from any minor spell-casting. Altogether they were in Burnham for only a handful of minutes while he examined the Gate.

“Not too bad.” Dalen said after he’d finished his examination.

“So this thing is safe?” Blake asked with a shake of his head. “It’s kind of hard to believe we were so far away a few moments ago.”

“It’s safe.” Dalen said with a sigh and a shake of his head. A few months ago, this invention would have revolutionized the world, but now he wondered if it would become just another thing that gets lost amidst the vagaries of war. “One thing though, that took a lot of power from the node.”

"So we have to wait for it to recharge?” Blake asked and then frowned. “That is the right word, right? Herald-Mage Loishia was trying to give me the basics of magic, but I don’t think I got it all right.”

“You got that part right at least.” Dalen smiled at him. “This place has always been a little odd and it is just now that I understand why. There are three nodes here. The primary node is a bigger one, with two smaller feeder nodes. I didn’t notice before how the two smaller can feed into the bigger, but that’s what they were intended to do, acting as a backup for when the Permanent Gate sucked out too much energy from the primary node.”

“It sounds complicated.” Blake said as he scrunched up his nose and Dalen almost laughed.

“It is complicated, but then so are most things in life.” Dalen said with a sigh. “Well, at least with the feeder nodes it is not likely that we will need to wait long before using the gate again. In fact, we can use it now if we’re just traveling back to the valley camp.”

“You mean Prince’s Retreat?” Blake asked with an impish grin.

You know you are not all that much older than him, just a few months. Jadev said in Dalen’s mind, reminding him of how much things had changed. Oh, and if you think you’re going to fool me into going back to the Retreat while you secretly go to Haven, well you have a lot of things to learn about being a Herald.

I’m going to be living with you in the back of my head all the time, aren’t I? Dalen asked with a purely mental sigh.

Yes. His Companion responded. You’ve got a lot of nasty habits I’m going to break.

Whatever. Dalen replied and reached out with mental hands to massage the Permanent Gate. It practically hummed as it powered up. Dalen wondered how he would work the alarms at the Retreat’s cave entrance, but didn’t have to worry for long. Using the Permanent Gate was not that different from building his own. This time when he went through the Gate, it was with Jadev behind him instead of in front, and he had a definite impression from his Companion that Jadev was making sure he didn’t change his destination.

Living with someone else in his mind was going to take some getting used to, but Dalen already knew he wouldn’t trade Jadev for all the gold in the world.

“It is about damn time!” Captain Helgenberger said as she stood waiting for Dalen to come through the Gate.

“What happened to you?” Healer Elsa exclaimed, rushing over to Dalen before he could say anything. He could feel her Gift washing over him, checking for anything wrong.

“Nothing bad, Healer.” Dalen said firmly as the Healer finished her scan of him and pulled back to look at him with a worried expression.

“I can’t find anything wrong with you, but your hair! Your eyes!” Elsa complained. “Not to mention your skin! You’re as pale as a ghost!”

“Considering the company I’ve been keeping, that’s an accurate description.” Dalen said with a grin.

I think that Tayledras mage you were with has corrupted you. Jadev proclaimed in Dalen’s head. You are being far too mysterious.

So what? Dalen replied, enjoying the sputtering reaction of his Companion. The beast better not decide to ruin his fun for him. Herald Nevin showed up at that moment, along with both Herald-Mages Mavren and Loishia. All three stared at him.

“You look like you’ve been spending the last six weeks dunked into a node.” Loishia said with a shake of her head. “I saw this really old Tayledras Adept once and his hair was almost like yours is now.”

“Actually, saying I’ve been living in a node isn’t that far from the truth.” Dalen said with a shake of his head. “I am sorry for my unexpected absence, but it couldn’t be helped.”

“Perhaps we should adjourn to the command tent and discuss this all at once.” Captain Helgenberger advised. “I was just up here checking on Lieutenant Falworth.”

“Conn’s injured?” Dalen asked with concern.

“He took a ball round to the shoulder, but will recover fully.” Healer Elsa said gently. “I agree with the Captain. I for one would like to hear the full of this story.”

“Yeah, um, Blake, will you…” Dalen started to ask Blake to take care of Jadev, but the Trainee had already disappeared with both Companions.

He’s a smart kid and doesn’t need you telling him what to do. Jadev’s voice was just as strong in Dalen’s head as if he was standing there.

I thought we had to be together at first to get the bond between us strong? Dalen retorted to the Companion.

We do, so you’ll be sleeping out here with me instead of whoever you were going to invite to your bed tonight. Jadev shot back.

I do not just invite people to my bed. Dalen groused.

“You can talk to your Companion later, Dalen.” Nevin’s voice held a tinge of amusement as he spoke.

“Oh, um, yeah, uh, why don’t we head to the command tent?” Dalen suggested. “It’s a rather complicated story and I hope to not have to retell it too many times.”

“Someone find that damn Bard that came in with the patrol last night!” Captain Helgenberger growled and Dalen’s hopes rose that he would see Carl here.

When they finally entered the command tent that sat in the middle of the rather large encampment, Dalen’s head was spinning. Part of him knew it had only been six weeks here since he’d left, but the place was crowded. The valley was full from North to South, East to West. Herald Nevin briefly explained that two Master-level Herald-Mages were now based out of here and had been expanding the caverns, including created four full bathing facilities.

The excess stone that had been excavated was being used to create stone buildings in the valley itself. The first two would be long barracks for the winter quartering of the troops. They could survive in tents since there wasn’t nearly as much snow this far south in winter, but the ‘Council of Captains’ as it was being called wanted as many troops in stone quarters with fireplaces as soon as possible. Water was being piped out of the cave system now and would be attached to the barracks buildings before too long, along with proper sewage piping that was being laid to points outside the valley.

Supposedly the Herald-Mages had found the spring he had initially used was actually connected to an underground reservoir that could supply all their water needs. Dalen had learned a few things about such matters from Windfire, and vowed to eventually have a look into them, but for now he had other business to attend. Those thoughts were matters for the more distant future.

“We have nearly four full companies stationed out of here right now, and about two hundred refugees from the surrounding areas.” Captain Helgenberger explained as they entered the large command tent. There were rows of chairs set up, and one wall of the tent displayed an enlarged map of the area. A large table was set up in the middle of the room that was obviously used for planning.

“Captain Helgenberger has been selected to command the Royalist companies and coordinate the Council of Captains.” Herald Nevin informed him. “I have been the Senior Herald and acting as her advisor in your absence.”

“What is this whole Royalist and Loyalist business?” Dalen asked as they stood around the center table, which had a large map spread out showing all of Valdemar.

“The Regent has announced that the Heralds are to blame for the bomb that killed King Rothar.” Herald Nevin said with a grimace. “She says that Herald Dellinar was probably opposing them when he was injured and she’s waiting for him to wake up and resume his duties as Heir.”

“So wouldn’t that make her a Royalist?” Dalen asked.

“No, she’s decided that Valdemar has to be served by a new Council, and has announced a new Charter that basically transfers away most of the authority of the Monarch to a Council elected directly by the people of Valdemar.” Herald Nevin explained and Dalen frowned. “It also incidentally removes the requirement that a Monarch also be a Herald. The Heralds, as an organization are officially disbanded as well.”

“That’s not good.” Dalen frowned. “The Heralds are the bastion of incorruptible guardians preserving our laws and system of justice.”

“Flowery language right out of the text book.” Captain Helgenberger laughed softly.

“It doesn’t make it any less true.” Dalen said flatly.

You got that right. Jadev’s voice distracted him. This was going to take a great deal of practice.

“The biggest problem with these so-called elections is that who will be running must be approved by the new priesthood.” Captain Helgenberger was definitely frowning now.

“What priesthood?” Dalen demanded angrily. “Valdemar has no official religion. That is one of our oldest laws!”

“All things change, or so your mother says.” Nevin said flatly. “At least we have an explanation for why the Black Kings invaded the Alliance. It all ties together into this.”

“Explain.” Dalen demanded angrily. How could his mother do this?

“The Haighlei were greatly impacted by the Mage Storms ninety years go.” Herald Loishia said gently. “It was the same with the first mage storms as well. It seems resentment has been building in their kingdoms about how the mage storms affected them, and ‘outlander’ magic as they say. Two years ago was their Eclipse ceremony where their King announces the changes for the next twenty year cycle.”

“Damn stubborn people.” Nevin interjected. “Can you imagine a society so structured they only allow changes every twenty years? It is amazing they advance at all.”

“If you listen to their priests, it is a wonder we aren’t destroyed by all of our own changes.” Helgenberger countered.

“So, what was announced at this Eclipse Ceremony?” Dalen asked Loishia who nodded at him.

“Their Emperor announced that from that day forward all mages must answer to the Priesthood, which would guarantee that nothing like the mage storms ever happened again.” Loishia said and the implications were quite clear.

“They’ve been building up for two years to take over our mages?” Dalen asked with a look of disbelief. “Why did they start with an invasion of the Dhorisha Plains? There are no mages among the Shin’a’in, and there are no magical artifacts in the Plains anymore.”

“They invaded it because it was a symbol of the Mage Storms, and it would draw the attention of the Alliance.” Nevin answered. “It enabled them to severely weaken our own mages while their agents behind our lines sowed discontent and created problems for the rulers. The Alliance has fractured with Rethwellen and Karse pulling back into their borders. Hardorn is caught between a rock and a hard place with the Eastern Empire eyeing them again. And Valdemar has Black King Priests running around snapping up the mage-born.”

“What about the Heralds still in Haven?” Dalen asked.

“They haven’t done anything but keep us under house arrest in the Collegium.” Nevin reported with a sigh. Dalen had been so focused on the conversation that he just now realized that the tent was nearly full.

“The Heralds and their Companions can’t be corrupted by the school these Priests have established in the old Mage’s Collegium.” A gray-haired man in the uniform of a Valdemar Guard Captain said solemnly. “One of my agents reported that they tried with two of the young trainees, but it didn’t work. Every other mage that goes in there comes out brainwashed in a matter of a few weeks.”

“That doesn’t seem right.” Dalen frowned.

“It’s not right.” The man countered.

“That’s not what I meant.” Dalen said. “It should take more than a few weeks to completely brainwash someone, unless…”

"Unless what?” Nevin asked.

“Unless blood-magic or something similar was being used.” Loishia said with a groan. “I should have recognized that!”

“What’s happening down here, with the Menmillith situation?” Dalen asked.

“The Black Kings have gotten a black eye from the start.” Helgenberger’s laugh was full of irony, and sympathy for the folk affected. “Our scouts caught them surging, but we couldn’t deploy with hopes of beating them at the time, and we didn’t want to lose the only forces that were committed to retaining the established order in Valdemar.”

“That’s where Royalist comes from.” Nevin explained. “We are loyal to Valdemar being led by a Royal Family that is Chosen by Companions.”

“I see.” Dalen frowned and then looked at Helgenberger. “You did evacuate though?”

“Yes, my lord.” She nodded. “We ran delaying operations against their advance, slowing them down while we got wagons in to the farms and took out people as well as crops and livestock. The operation was done with their full consent, and we got most of the crops in the field as well as all the livestock and all the people.”

“They’re actually looking at land around here to start farming when Spring comes back around.” Nevin said with a shake of his head. “Tough folk these Holderkin. Pick them up, make them give up everything they own, and they land on their feet and look to continue where their lives left off.”

“They’re Valdemaran.” Dalen said with a smile and a shake of his head. “We learned a long time ago that Valdemar isn’t the land as much as it is our people. In the beginning we fled a tyrant in the east, and we can pack and leave again while still being Valdemar.”

“Yes.” Nevin agreed and most of the people in the room nodded their heads in agreement with Dalen’s words. One last figure came into the room, a short, plump woman with iron-gray hair dressed in Bardic Scarlets. She took a seat in the first row that had obviously been saved for her, and Dalen looked around the room. Nearly fifty junior officers and some senior enlisted Valdemaran Guards were in the tent. There were four senior Captains around the table, and scattered around the room were nearly twenty Heralds, including seven that he sensed with Mage Gifts of varying strength. Three Healers, including Elsa were also in the tent, and everyone was quietly listening to Dalen and the senior officers discuss things.

“Right, it looks like we’re all here, my lord.” Captain Helgenberger said with a slight bow of her head towards Dalen. “We can make the introductions later, but right now we’re all anxious to find out what happened to you six weeks ago.”

“Something very weird, Captain.” Dalen said as he smiled and stood a little straighter. The explanation took a while, longer than he expected, and he was occasionally interrupted by questions. To his surprise, every time someone had a question they raised their hands instead of just blurting out what they wanted to ask. Then again, he still felt like he’d just spent six years locked up with the spirit of a dead mage, and he was finding it odd dealing with so many other people.

“This Permanent Gate, can you move it?” Captain Helgenberger asked with a frown on her face. “Could you move it here?”

“I could, but it is powered by a node, which we don’t have here yet.” Dalen said.

“You said before you couldn’t make one here.” She pointed out to him.

“That was then.” Dalen shrugged. “This is now. Still, though, I have to say I am very uncomfortable with how things are right now.”

“Why is that, my lord?” She asked him.

“I don’t want a civil war in Valdemar.” Dalen said firmly.

“With all due respect, your highness, we may have no choice.” Herald Nevin said flatly.

“I know that, but I’d like to see if I can put a stop to it before it gets out of hand.” Dalen said with a sigh. “I know my mother. She may have some skewed perceptions, but she’s only doing what she thinks is best for Valdemar. By the way, where is my father?”

“He is commanding the joint Haighlei and Valdemaran troops that were deployed to stop the Menmillith before they hit populated farms.” Captain Helgenberger replied. “We provide hit and run support and intelligence to them on a hush-hush basis. The Haighlei troops probably know what we’re doing, and if they catch any of our scouts, they take them prisoner, but they don’t actively hunt us down. It’s like the old saying about the enemy of my enemy is my friend.”

“That is something I approve of doing.” Dalen said with a nod of his head and the smug look on Helgenberger’s face as she looked at one of the other Captains hinted that had been an argument in his absence. “What I don’t approve of is Valdemaran killing Valdemaran unless it is in the defense of one’s own life or the lives of others.”

“You said much the same before you disappeared, my lord.” Nevin said flatly. “That is why we have yet to organize a rescue mission for the Heralds trapped in Haven.”

“All of our planning had to include some bloodshed, and we knew you would not countenance that.” Helgenberger added.

“I need to go to Haven and have a little talk with my mother.” Dalen said evenly as he looked at the map of Valdemar. He understood most of the symbols now, showing what cities and towns had proclaimed Loyalist or Royalist allegiance, where Guard commanders could be trusted by either side, and what areas were trying to sit things out. Then there were the little symbols he took to be ‘holding’ camps for prisoners of one type or another based on the map symbols.

“What are all these camps?” Dalen asked quietly.

“Education camps for those that express unsatisfactory political views.” Nevin stated and there was a hint of anger in his voice.

“Does my mother know about these?” Dalen asked sharply.

“We have no idea.” Helgenberger answered.

“I guess the question now is where do we go from here?” Dalen said aloud, and was surprised at the restless rustling in the room as the people gathered there shifted around at his question.

“That’s kind of what we’ve been asking ourselves, my lord.” Captain Helgenberger said gruffly with a frown. “It was only the fact that the Heralds were so certain that you’d be coming back, well let’s just say it gave us a goal to work towards.”

“I had an instructor once who was of the opinion that having goals is what kept us alive.” Dalen said with a smile at the memory of the argument with Windfire that had led to that particular statement. Dalen had wanted to give up, but Windfire had argued him around, using the concept of having goals to work towards. “Good goals are achievable, and the best goals have some level of difficulty to them.”

“It sounds like a decent principle.” One of the other Captains who had not spoken before said aloud. He looked particularly tough, with a scar down one cheek and short brown hair that was heading towards iron gray. “Your father might have said something like that once or twice.”

“I would not be surprised.” Dalen said. “He is a sensible man.”

“What are our goals?” Captain Helgenberger asked and the tent grew silent as they waited for Dalen’s answer.

“Our ultimate goal, the one thing we must always keep in mind is to defend the people of Valdemar from those who would do them harm.” Dalen said and there was a rumble of agreement from the assembled officers. “The threat from Menmillith is something that we can do something about right away, and what you have been doing up to this point has been right, and should continue. I would like to see the Captains continue to aid Valdemar forces, of whatever allegiance, so long as they are properly defending our people. Let no Valdemaran spill Valdemaran blood if it can be helped.”

“Aye, my lord, that we can and will do gladly.” Captain Helgenberger agreed and the rest of the Captains nodded their agreement.

“You know I have been Chosen by Companion Jadev.” Dalen said with a sigh.

“That is what we’ve heard, your highness.” Captain Helgenberger was smiling at his statement. “Most people I would tell them congratulations, but for you I will extend my condolences.”

"Thanks.” Dalen said miserably while most of the people in the tent looked on in confusion. Maybe it really wasn’t a widely known ‘secret’ that Dalen had never wanted to be Chosen.

“The Prince has stated in the past, and more than once, that he had no desire to be Chosen.” Herald Nevin answered the unspoken question in the gazes of the other Captains and many of the junior officers.

“That’s odd.” The brown-haired and scarred officer stated with a frown at Dalen.

“I believe he didn’t want to face a heroic death after a lifetime of heroic deeds.” Nevin said with good humor.

“More than a few of my forebears died far too young thanks to their heroic destinies.” Dalen said miserably. “Unfortunately for me and all of us here, we were all born into trying times. There’s no use running from a heroic death. It will find us regardless of what we do, so we might as well face it and greet it in style.”

“That is a sentiment I can understand.” The same Captain said with a feral grin and several of the junior officers laughed aloud.

“Death better have his dancing shoes on when he comes for me.” Dalen smiled at the man in what he hoped was a similar feral expression. “I plan to make him dance for my soul when my body’s done.”

“Now that’s the spirit.” One of the older Captains said with a tight smile on his face.

“May that day be far away.” Nevin said. “It is my hope that you will be old and gray when that day comes at last.”

“I’m already gray, but I’ll take the old part.” Dalen smiled. “Thank you for helping to lighten the mood. We face dark times, but it is important to remember that before us, and after us, lay the good times. In order for us to reach a true resolution of the problems we face, it is necessary for me to go into Haven and have a little discussion with my mother. While I am there I will need to conduct my own investigation into what happened when King Rothar and the Council were killed. When I am done with the investigation, then we can confer and make more decisions on where we go next.”

“That will be dangerous.” Herald Nevin said. “You have been Chosen, and all Heralds are being placed under arrest in the Collegium. There is also the fact that you are a mage, and all mages are required to go through the education program set forward by the Haighlei priests, or have their Gifts burned out.”

“I will assemble an honor guard for you, strong enough to protect you.” Helgenberger stated flatly.

“It will be dangerous, and I will be going alone.” Dalen said flatly. “Not even Jadev will be going with me.”

What? Jadev’s mind voice was filled with outrage, but Dalen did his best to ignore his continued protests, and his cursing.

Quiet, and listen. Dalen said in his mind while holding his hand up to quell the protests of the senior officers.

“Why?” Herald Nevin asked in a stricken voice. “Do you really believe they will just let you waltz in, do what you want and then walk away?”

“They won’t, but my mother will.” Dalen smiled at Nevin. “She will have no choice but to let me walk around, and out if I want. If she does otherwise – if she lets the Haighlei attempt to imprison me or she orders Valdemaran soldiers against me, she will show that she is the puppet of the Black Kings. That in and of itself will be a victory for us.”

“But what happens when they capture you and confine you or do whatever it is they do there?” Helgenberger asked.

“They won’t take me.” Dalen said with a firm look at her. “Once I am there, I will be able to access the Haven Heartstone, and protect myself in ways they cannot even imagine since they have never worked with Tayledras mages and heartstones before. I also have the advantage of having access to a Permanent Gate. Now, it’s not like a Permanent Gate that is tied to a mage. I can’t have it take me anywhere with just a thought, but then I only have to use enough power to reach the Gate’s location in order to access it and make full use of its abilities. Believe me, there is no way short of taking me in my sleep that they will be able to overcome me before I can get to safety, and they won’t take me in my sleep.”

“Like before, you will call us in if you need help?” She asked and Dalen smiled at her grimly.

“Captain, before I leave I want you to provision two full squads of mounted troops, and two squads of infantry.” Dalen told her. “We can fit that many into the Burnham Vale and if they bring provisions with them for two weeks, they will be able to hold that place, and the Permanent Gate. My path of retreat, and my reinforcements will be moments away from me at all times.”

“I’ll have a few Heralds, and two Herald-Mages there as well, waiting to assist.” Nevin said with a nod of approval.

I will be there as well. Jadev was determined.

Naturally you’ll be there. Dalen teased him. I don’t know what I’d do if I came out of that Permanent Gate and you weren’t there waiting for me.

Argh! Dalen didn’t know a Companion could make that sound, even if it was only mentally, and had to bite back laughter as the Captains and Heralds kept on working out the details of his ‘rescue’ and ‘support’ team that would occupy Burnham Vale. It was obvious they were going to follow his plans, but on their own terms.

Oh well, such was the nature of command, or at least that was what he assumed.

© 1987 - 2022 Mercedes Lackey, Tor Publishing; All Rights Reserved; Valedmar and its world belong to Mercedes Lackey. Everything else belongs to dkstories. Copyright ©2013; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Mercedes Lackey, Tor Publishing and their inheritors. <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

How cool was that! I read Chapter 20 over a few times! Our impetuous, fickle boy has grown up! I guess, faced with the option of being absorbed into energy oblivion, he was forced into maturity. Hehehe! But what a fantastic opportunity for him ... the time to actually learn for learning's sake ... not because he felt he had to for pragmatic and immediate purposes. I mean, sure he had the goal of getting out of there, but the fact that he finally understood that big achievements are built on firm foundations served him well in his development as a well-balanced young man. It was touching when Windfire proclaimed Dalen his greatest legacy. I think that was an important lesson for Dalen and eased his journey into Heraldom ... you can set out the path you want in life, but the mark you leave in the world is a result of how you react to life around you. So, when it came time to be chosen, Dalen seemed to embrace fate to assume his destiny.

As for Jadev, I get the feeling that maybe the Companions didn't choose Dalen because they knew he'd be a handful! LOL! So it takes a companion and his twin to assume the task. Interesting that there is a psychic link between the twin companions and Dalen & Blake. What does the future hold in store for Blake & Dalen??? And, of course, we all want to know what happened to Carl??? We saw in Chapter 19 that he had a mission for the Bard ... was he still on that mission? Did he not make it??? And I also note that Paet wasn't there to greet him.

Now here we have Selenay in charge and we find out what's been going on in Haven ... what happened to Tomas (the King's Own Herald)? Did he die in the explosion, too? I was fascinated in Chapter 6 the explanation of how the companion for the Monarch's Own was born full grown in the forest of the Companions Field. So if Tomas is dead, then that means that Levin has gone on, as well. So will we get to see the birth of a new Monarch's Own Companion? Hehehe! Just a random thought. ;-)

If I were Dalen, I would use some of my healing arts to enter into Selenay's mind and snoop around her cerebrum, snipping the synapses that deal with Haven's affairs of State. I hope the Haven heartstone is still accessible to him. Of course, if everything works according to plan, we'd never get to see Dalen stretch his limits. Hehehe! Thanks Dan!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Alright! An action plan. Obviously things won't go perfectly for Dalen but I agree that his control over the Heartstone will give him the power needed. I'm still under the impression that Dalen's mother (I still don't know her name) is a puppet in all of this. I'm also really happy that Dalen is committed to avoid as much bloodshed as possible.

 

We've also finally found out why the Black Kings invaded. The fact that there is blood magic in play is terrible and needs to be addressed. I hope we get to see Dalen kick ass and take names later.

 

Great chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

very anxious to know what happens next when Dalen enters Haven. Maybe just maybe his mother is under a spell i hope for her sake, this is all so frustrating this wait. So Dalen is going in alone hope he is able to escape safely.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/31/2013 03:13 PM, Rosicky said:
How cool was that! I read Chapter 20 over a few times! Our impetuous, fickle boy has grown up! I guess, faced with the option of being absorbed into energy oblivion, he was forced into maturity. Hehehe! But what a fantastic opportunity for him ... the time to actually learn for learning's sake ... not because he felt he had to for pragmatic and immediate purposes. I mean, sure he had the goal of getting out of there, but the fact that he finally understood that big achievements are built on firm foundations served him well in his development as a well-balanced young man. It was touching when Windfire proclaimed Dalen his greatest legacy. I think that was an important lesson for Dalen and eased his journey into Heraldom ... you can set out the path you want in life, but the mark you leave in the world is a result of how you react to life around you. So, when it came time to be chosen, Dalen seemed to embrace fate to assume his destiny.

As for Jadev, I get the feeling that maybe the Companions didn't choose Dalen because they knew he'd be a handful! LOL! So it takes a companion and his twin to assume the task. Interesting that there is a psychic link between the twin companions and Dalen & Blake. What does the future hold in store for Blake & Dalen??? And, of course, we all want to know what happened to Carl??? We saw in Chapter 19 that he had a mission for the Bard ... was he still on that mission? Did he not make it??? And I also note that Paet wasn't there to greet him.

Now here we have Selenay in charge and we find out what's been going on in Haven ... what happened to Tomas (the King's Own Herald)? Did he die in the explosion, too? I was fascinated in Chapter 6 the explanation of how the companion for the Monarch's Own was born full grown in the forest of the Companions Field. So if Tomas is dead, then that means that Levin has gone on, as well. So will we get to see the birth of a new Monarch's Own Companion? Hehehe! Just a random thought. ;-)

If I were Dalen, I would use some of my healing arts to enter into Selenay's mind and snoop around her cerebrum, snipping the synapses that deal with Haven's affairs of State. I hope the Haven heartstone is still accessible to him. Of course, if everything works according to plan, we'd never get to see Dalen stretch his limits. Hehehe! Thanks Dan!

I'm going to not respond to most of the review because I want you to discover the answers for yourself. Still, there are a few things I can say:

 

On re-reading this for the fourth or fifth time I have to agree that Windfire's statement about Dalen being his greatest legacy was powerful.

 

Valdemar lore has it that there are five Companions for the Monarch's Own. These same five take turns rotating through 'life' and are equivalent to what we might think of as an 'archangel' in christian lore. They are all very old, very wise, and kind of like being saddled with a grandfather who has seen and done it all before. Some might think that would fit Dalen perfectly, but I think the smartass companion with a handy Shin'a'in saying for every occasion is better for Dalen in the long run...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/31/2013 03:54 PM, Rebelghost85 said:
Alright! An action plan. Obviously things won't go perfectly for Dalen but I agree that his control over the Heartstone will give him the power needed. I'm still under the impression that Dalen's mother (I still don't know her name) is a puppet in all of this. I'm also really happy that Dalen is committed to avoid as much bloodshed as possible.

 

We've also finally found out why the Black Kings invaded. The fact that there is blood magic in play is terrible and needs to be addressed. I hope we get to see Dalen kick ass and take names later.

 

Great chapter.

Aat least he's bothering to actually plan now instead of 'let's go over that hill and see what's there!'.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

i won't comment on the plot as i will just sit back and enjoy the ride. I do want to say how impressed i am that you can mature your characters and maintain their essence. I also was not familiar with the books on which this story is based but appreciate that i can enjoy the richness of this world without feeling i am missing half of the context. Thanks. Can't wait for future instalments

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/31/2013 11:25 PM, Rndmrunner said:
i won't comment on the plot as i will just sit back and enjoy the ride. I do want to say how impressed i am that you can mature your characters and maintain their essence. I also was not familiar with the books on which this story is based but appreciate that i can enjoy the richness of this world without feeling i am missing half of the context. Thanks. Can't wait for future instalments
Thank you for the compliment regarding the maturity of the characters.

 

One of the most difficult aspects of writing this story was bringing in people new to the world without having to bore those who know the works by the original author. In some parts (like the Tayladras vale), I didn't put enough description in for the new reader, but it sounds like for the most part I got a fair enough balance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I cannot believe that Delan did not ask nor make an attempt to seek out Paet or Carl. I noticed a passing hint that Delan was hoping that the Bard that was to come to the tent would be Carl but when it wasn't Dalen made no attempt to ask any questions regarding his whereabouts. His lack of inquiring I could look past in regards to Carl but not Paet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/04/2013 01:40 PM, CW Prince said:
I cannot believe that Delan did not ask nor make an attempt to seek out Paet or Carl. I noticed a passing hint that Delan was hoping that the Bard that was to come to the tent would be Carl but when it wasn't Dalen made no attempt to ask any questions regarding his whereabouts. His lack of inquiring I could look past in regards to Carl but not Paet.
The last we heard of Paet was that he was on circuit in the North. Right now the North is probably the safest part of Valdemar as a whole - so not asking after Paet might reflect Dalen's thoughts that at least one friend is safe.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am enjoying the fast pace and the parallels this story has with current events even though this story was posted over a year ago...Some stories are universal I guess.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

the story starts to go away from Valdemar’s regular rules 🤔 but the story is good, otherwise i won’t keep reading 😬

Edited by Danilo Syrtis
Link to comment

Dalen is going into the breach, let's hope he can fix the issues.  Whenever they start talking about changing all the basic structures that make up what a country is; you know they are up to no good.  

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..