Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aglanthol 4 - Tyrnae (Journey to the Otherworld) - 13. Chapter 13

Aaron and Neldor moved at a steady pace. Suddenly, however, the wizard stopped and shielded his eyes with his hand. Aaron stopped also and looked ahead. They saw a house in the distance. The walls were pearly-white and reflected the light. The house looked like a trinket in the sun.

"It is an almost palace," Aaron said in astonishment. "Look at the filigreed towers, Master Neldor. They look like the towers that are described in some fairy tales."

Neldor did not reply. He took in the sight. He focused on his sixth sense and cautiously scanned the area.

"The house is large. It’s neat. The lawn is trimmed. I don’t think it is deserted. Where are the people? We have not yet seen anybody," Aaron mused.

Neldor nodded absent-mindedly. He scanned the house, yet he did not get a response. It was very odd. Neldor found no energy trace of the house. It seemed as if the house was not there. It seemed as if it did not exist. Neldor looked more closely with his carnal eyes. He saw the house clearly. What was wrong with it? What was going on here? Neldor stood motionless and pondered. This was confusing him. He had not perceived any energy patterns. Where was Lyaris? Was he really somewhere around in this place?

Aaron watched Neldor worriedly. He guessed from Neldor’s behaviour that something was wrong. Aaron looked at the house again and then he startled. For the split of a second he had thought that the sight of the house had changed. The house had looked as if it was hovering in the air. Aaron narrowed his eyes and looked more intently. The house looked solid again.

"Something’s going on here," Aaron said.

He turned his head to Neldor. The wizard looked back and nodded thoughtfully.

"I cannot perceive any energy patterns. At least not the usual patterns that material objects emit. The house is not real," Neldor said.

"I saw it hovering. Just for the split of a second," Aaron said slowly.

Neldor looked at the young man. He gave him a nod.

"I think it is just an image, a three-dimensional image, a hologram," he said.

"An image?" Aaron asked. He was thinking. "You mean it is some kind of mirage?"

"In a sense," Neldor said pensively. "After all, we are in a magical world."

"But where is Lyaris? Did we take the wrong way?" Aaron asked. He was feeling alarmed.

Neldor rubbed his chin.

"I think the hologram is a ward. If Lyaris is inside of the hologram, then I cannot perceive him," he said.

"The image was hovering. It is not persistent. You could try once more when the image dissolves again," Aaron suggested.

"Let’s move a bit closer," Neldor said. "I have enforced our ward."

They moved closer to the house. The walls were made of white stone that looked like tuff. The house looked light and yet it seemed solid. The large entrance was made of white wood. Many windows let the light in and the sun reflected in the window panes. Ornate balconies and small towers made the house look like a fairy palace. The walls were embellished by climbing roses. There were flower beds in front of the house and also a neat and trimmed lawn.

"It looks very elaborate. Almost too perfect," Neldor said. "I think someone spent a very long time on developing and perfecting the image."

Aaron turned his head.

"You mean someone created the image?" he asked.

"Is creating it," Neldor replied. "Someone channels energy into this perfect hologram constantly."

"Why can’t you trace him?" Aaron asked. "You sensed Mimir’s energy and even the energy of the dwarves."

Neldor nodded.

"Like I said, Aaron, the hologram is a ward. We must wait until the image is hovering once more. This happens, I think, when the creator is off guard. So we must be cautious, Aaron. We must not warn him," he said.

"Can’t we distract him?" Aaron asked.

"We must not draw his attention to us. The image is his hiding place, his shelter. We are a danger, a threat. He would enforce his ward instantly, if he perceived us, I suspect," Neldor replied.

"So we must make him feel safe instead," Aaron mused. "He then might come out of his hiding place. He might take Lyaris with him."

"Provided Lyaris is inside the hologram," Neldor said slowly.

"I am sure he is," Aaron said. "Tyrnae invited us, Master Neldor. We’re called to free Lyaris and take him back home. I don’t think they make it overly complicated," Aaron said in a totally determined voice.

Neldor smiled.

"I forgot, Aaron," he said. "I forgot your magic. What I can’t do, you certainly can. I can’t perceive any energy patterns. My magic is useless. So why ponder on this any longer. Yes, we turn to your magic instead," Neldor said. He sounded convinced and excited.

Aaron looked at the old man, and then he smiled.

"Well, yes, Mimir said that I am supposed to free Lyaris. Don’t ask me why. And don’t ask me what my magic is all about. It doesn’t really make sense to me," he said.

"This is the land of magic. Things are different here," Neldor replied in a sober voice.

"We can’t get into the house without drawing attention to us. An alternative approach then?" Aaron asked vividly. He had found new heart.

Neldor nodded and pointed at the hologram.

"So tell me, Aaron, when will this hologram start to float?" he asked.

"When the creator does not focus on the outside world," Aaron said.

"He most likely spent a long time developing the hologram. It is a hiding place and a ward. Why should he suddenly pay less attention to it?" Neldor asked.

"Because he is otherwise distracted," Aaron replied promptly.

"He is occupied with what?" Neldor asked.

"Lyaris," Aaron said.

He crossed his arms in front of his chest and looked at the house.

"He tempted Lyaris to follow him. The magical flowers enchanted Lyaris. But apparently the tempter is enchanted, too. He is off guard. He can only be enchanted by Lyaris," Aaron said.

He narrowed his eyes and looked ahead grimly.

"I do not like this at all, Master Neldor," he said.

Neldor looked at the young with a mixture of amusement and worry. He gave Aaron a reassuring nod.

"Provided your magic works, Lyaris is inside the hologram," Neldor said. "You placed him there together with the creator of the image."

Aaron gaped at Neldor.

"Do you want to blame me for it now, Master Neldor?" he asked defiantly.

"No, no," Neldor said, shaking his head. "I am just stating facts, although the word ‘facts’ is a bit out of place here. Anyway, don’t act on your first impulse, Aaron. This is what I told you."

Aaron raised an eyebrow. He gave Neldor a questioning look. Neldor pointed at the house.

"We want to see the image dissolve. This will only happen if the creator of the image feels enchanted by Lyaris. I’m just following your line of thoughts," Neldor said with an apologetic look.

Aaron swallowed. He shuffled his feet. He did not like his line of thoughts. But finally he straightened and nodded.

"Yes, you are right, Master Neldor," he said.

Aaron shrugged. He looked at the image.

"Back in our world, I made the first move. I approached Lyaris, yet he did not respond. If he had made a move by himself, then this would have impressed me greatly. But he left me feeling like a fool. He ran from me. He ran to Zhoron. He closed himself up. I want him to open up to me. I want to feel his embrace. I want to show to the world that I love him. And I want him to come out of his lonely hiding place," Aaron said without looking at Neldor.

His heart beat faster at his confession. He felt dizzy and his hands had started to sweat. Aaron looked ahead for a while. His cheeks turned red and he felt a lump in his throat. But then he swallowed and turned his head to Neldor. His look was determined and it was sincere.

Neldor gave Aaron a faint nod.

"You have spoken the truth. Your magic works. So be it," the wizard said gravely.

He looked ahead and pointed at the fairy palace. The image was hovering in the air.

~~**~~

Lyaris awoke from his dreamlike state. He saw Erendil’s beautiful face. This was not a dream. This was all real. Lyaris felt love and he felt overwhelmed by the feeling. Love was in his heart. He had never felt such a beautiful feeling. Lyaris reached out and wrapped his arms around Erendil. He pulled him closer and held him tightly. His lips sought the elf’s lips and then touched them softly. Erendil’s lips tasted so sweet. Lyaris longed for this taste and the warmth that spread in his body. He kissed Erendil softly. And then he deepened the kiss. Erendil felt touched. The elf moaned softly and then gave in to Lyaris’ kiss. Erendil had longed so long for a moment like this. Erendil had lived in a world of his own. He had never shared his precious place with someone. For the first time in aeons, Erendil did not feel alone. He did not feel the need to hide any longer. He felt safe in Lyaris’ arms. Erendil let totally go.

The hologram hovered in the air. The solid house suddenly looked transparent. And then the image dissolved and vanished in the air.

Erendil and Lyaris were lying in a bed of flowers. They were lying in a tight embrace. The sun was shining down on them. The rays of the sun were tickling their skin. Lyaris and Erendil were lying among the flowers, showing their love to everyone.

~~**~~

Aaron and Neldor stood and watched the hovering image. They slowly turned to each other when the image disappeared.

"Are we supposed to move on or are we supposed to go?" Aaron asked in a low voice, fearing to see the truth that probably lay ahead of them.

"How do you feel about it?" Neldor asked softly.

He saw the fear in Aaron’s eyes. Neldor knew that this was Aaron’s quest and mission. He would not press the young man to make a decision.

Aaron was hesitating, but then he stepped forward slowly. Neldor remained standing in his place. He watched the young man move ahead. Aaron felt a mixture of emotions. Was it right to intrude into whatever was going on between Lyaris and the unknown creator of the image. Then again, it was his mission to find Lyaris and take him back home. Mimir, the gatekeeper, had said so at least. Aaron had crossed the borderline between his world and the magical world of Tyrnae in order to find Lyaris. No, he would not stop now and turn back. Aaron was determined to face whatever it was that he had to face. He would try to convince Lyaris to go back where he belonged. Aaron knew that he would never forgive himself if he turned away now. He was determined to face the pain if that was what he had to face. He moved on slowly.

~~**~~

 

2012 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..