Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aglanthol 4 - Tyrnae (Journey to the Otherworld) - 7. Chapter 7

Lyaris was bored. The days were long. He was still in the hunter’s lodge, waiting for Zhoron. He had read his manuscript several times. He meanwhile knew all the words by heart. Tyrnae was a magical world full of wonders. Lyaris yearned to see them all. He had left the royal court furtively. He had jumped into a secret adventure. However, after three days of extreme boredom, the flush of excitement had almost gone. Lyaris had come back to earth and reality had caught up with him. He suddenly felt that he had been naive and childish. Like a child he had fallen for a fairy tale.

Lyaris rose to his feet and left the hut. He stretched. He was not used to sleep on the ground. Lyaris wished for a good meal. He had taken along only dried food. This had been interesting in the beginning. Meanwhile, however, the prince felt instantly sick when he took out the dried food from his bag. Luckily, a small brook was close to the hut. He had fresh water at least.

Lyaris scratched his neck. He wished for a bath, preferably in a tub filled with very hot water. The prince walked down to the brook. He put his hand in the water. It was terribly cold. Lyaris hesitated, but then he took off his clothes and stepped into the water. The icy water made him gnash his teeth. But Lyaris longed for cleaning up. He moved on and finally sat down in the brook. Lyaris splashed water in his face. Then the prince lay back in the water. He looked up at the sky. The sun was already high. But the day was cold. No wonder. It was close to his birthday. It was close to Samuin. Lyaris started to tremble. He sat up and quickly washed his body and hair.

Lyaris remained sitting in the water until he got goose bumps and until his fingers and toes turned blue. Finally, he got out of the water. He grabbed his clothes and ran back to the lodge. The prince entered the hut and picked up a blanket. He wrapped it tightly around his body and then he sat down on his primitive bed. Lyaris’ lips trembled and his body felt numb. And yet at the same time, the prince felt refreshed. His body was clean and his mind was clear. The prince felt as if a fog had gone.

He thought of Zhoron and suddenly feared the man’s coming. He suddenly felt that something was wrong with their plan. Zhoron was a dark and dominating man. While Lyaris had acknowledged Zhoron’s traits in the beginning, he now realized that he had felt more and more like the man’s puppet. The cold water had cleared Lyaris’ mind. He suddenly knew what to do. The prince dressed and packed his things quickly. He got his horse and mounted it. Lyaris crossed the brook that had made him see clearly. He looked at the water in wonder and for a moment he thought that he heard the faint sound of a bell. Lyaris looked around, and then he moved on quickly. He needed to get away from Zhoron’s influence and reach.

Neldor’s energy ball had weakened the energy bond between Zhoron and the prince. While the prince was able to see more clearly, Zhoron’s mind drifted to a satisfied slumber. Neldor’s energy message made Zhoron believe that he would reach his goal and that nothing could go wrong anymore. Zhoron felt like he had already won.

~~**~~

Lyaris led his horse through the forest. The trees were high and stood close to each other. The leaves were green and had not yet changed colour. Lyaris looked at them in wonder. The trees looked ageless. They looked as if they had not changed their appearance in aeons. They were surrounded by an aura of mystery, or so at least it seemed to Lyaris. Ferns and other bushes grew from the ground. The thicket was almost impassable. The prince, however, sought his way through it.

The sun was shining, but the rays of the sun barely reached the ground and the light in the wood was dim. The plants emitted a fragrance that infatuated the prince. Lyaris soon felt like in a daze. His body felt light and his mind was calm. The prince felt drowsy, yet in a good way. He forgot his concerns and his fears as he moved on slowly. Lyaris moved deeper into the forest. His horse seemed to find the way on its own. Lyaris looked at the leaves and admired the play of colours that was caused by the rays of the sun.

The prince moved on for several hours. He had entirely lost track of time. The sun was already low when the prince reached a clearing. His horse stopped and Lyaris awoke from his dreamlike state. He looked at the clearing in wonder. A tree stood in the centre of the clearing and beside it was a fountain. The tree was high and its branches were thick and spread far. Thick roots grew from the trunk of the tree. They crept along the ground until they found a spot to grow underneath. Lyaris looked up and down the tree. The leaves were of a very dark green. Lyaris realized that the tree was an evergreen ash tree. The tree was old. More, it looked ancient. Lyaris found it was the oldest tree he had ever seen.

Lyaris dismounted. His horse started to graze. Lyaris walked to the fountain. The wall was made of stone and the stones were overgrown with moss. Lyaris leaned forward and looked into the fountain. Clear water was inside. The prince reached out his hand. The water was as cold as ice. Lyaris took a handful and rinsed his mouth with it. He heard a faint sound at this very moment. He heard a jingle like from a very small bell. Lyaris looked around in confusion, but he did not see anything or anyone. His horse was grazing peacefully. Lyaris turned back to the fountain and looked into the water once more. He suddenly felt very tired. His body felt numb and all he wished for was sleeping. Drowsy, the prince turned away from the fountain. He made a few steps and stopped in front of a huge and thick root that grew from the trunk of the tree and grew into the ground some distance away from the trunk. Lyaris stretched on the soft grass under the root and fell asleep instantly. He slept for a whole night and a whole day. Dusk had come again when the prince awoke. It was the evening of Samuin.

~~**~~

Zhoron had meanwhile reached the hunter’s lodge. He had looked out for the prince, yet he had not found a trace of Lyaris. Strangely, Zhoron did not worry at all. His logical reasoning tried to convince him that something was doubtlessly wrong. Yet Zhoron pushed his thoughts aside. The prince most likely travelled slowly. Zhoron had taken hidden paths on the last day of his journey. He had probably moved faster than the prince. The prince would arrive very soon. Zhoron made himself comfortable in the hut. He felt content and in a good mood. A voice in the back of his head tried to tell him the truth and called him to think logically. Zhoron, however, ignored the voice and did not even think about why he ignored it. Neldor’s energy ball had seized control of Zhoron’s thought process. A part of Zhoron’s mind tried to offer resistance. This part, however, did not stand a chance. Zhoron’s brain was lulled to sleep.

Neldor knew that he had succeeded in seizing Zhoron’s mind. He was astonished that it had been so easy. This convinced the old wizard even more that Zhoron was just a fraud, a man who claimed to be a magician, yet did not even know the basics of magic. Neldor thought that Zhoron was a juggler who had impressed the king with his cheap tricks. Neldor, however, was cautious. Never underestimate a foe. Neldor told himself to follow this advice.

He and Aaron moved on at a steady pace. Neldor led them past the hunter’s lodge. He sensed Lyaris’ presence with his sixth sense. However, the prince was ahead of them. They moved deeper into the forest. Like Lyaris, Aaron was impressed by the wood. Neldor watched the young man closely. As soon as they had entered the wood, Neldor had sensed the forest’s magical aura. Neldor, so far, had kept his finding to himself. Neldor wondered why Lyaris had left the hut. Neldor mused that the magical wood had drawn the prince in.

Neldor thought of what he had read on Tyrnae. The legend said it was located far in the west. Neldor had expected to travel a few more days. Had he been mistaken? The aura of the wood was strong. Neldor sensed its powerful magic. And Samuin was near. Were they already close to the gate? Neldor looked at the old ash trees that were surrounded by a timeless aura. Had they already entered the area where time ceased to be? Had the gate to Tyrnae already started to open?

The wood did not influence the old wizard. Neldor was immune to its spell. Aaron, however, was drawn in by the wood’s magic. He startled at the sound of small bells.

"Master Neldor," he exclaimed in bewilderment and with utter surprise. "Master Neldor, did you hear the bells?"

Neldor studied the young man’s face. He listened, yet he did not hear anything. Like he had feared, the magic of the wood drew Aaron in. Neldor reminded himself to keep a clear head. He did not reply, but he pondered deeply.

"From where did the sound come from?" Neldor asked calmly.

Aaron pointed to the right.

"Over there, Master Neldor. Shall we go and have a look? Perhaps Lyaris heard it, too. We might find him there," Aaron said excitedly.

"Then we will turn to the left," Neldor said in a determined voice.

Aaron gazed at him in confusion.

"But..." he started.

"To the left," Neldor said grumpily.

He turned his horse and rode to the left. Aaron followed him reluctantly.

"But..." the young man said again.

"We have reached the sphere of Tyrnae," Neldor said with a grave look at Aaron. "Don’t you think it’s strange you hear the sound of small bells deep in a dark wood?" he asked. "You will lose your way in Tyrnae if you follow your first impulse and do what you usually do in the physical world. I told you, Aaron."

Aaron felt utterly bewildered.

"We have not passed a gate, Master Neldor. And it is not yet the evening of Samuin," he said.

"The world may look like the world you know. But the wood is not like any wood you know, Aaron. This wood is a magical wood. The gate is close. We can already sense the magic of Tyrnae and we will discover more very soon," Neldor replied.

The old wizard dismounted. Aaron did so as well. He was hesitant. Neldor’s words did not make sense to him. For the time being, however, he would remain quiet. But he would watch out and listen attentively. At the faintest sign of the prince being close, Aaron would run for his help. He heard a chuckle. Aaron turned his head abruptly. He looked in all directions, yet he did not see anyone. His heart beat faster. He was sure that he had heard someone laughing. It had not been the voice of Lyaris. Neither had it been the voice of the wizard. But it had clearly been the voice of a man. A cold shiver crept up Aaron’s spine and fear seized his heart. Aaron turned his eyes back to Neldor. Neldor’s eyes rested gravely on him.

"Did you hear it as well?" Aaron asked under his breath.

Neldor shook his head.

"No, I did not hear a sound. But I sensed that an energy was close," he replied.

Aaron’s eyes widened. He looked around again. The wizard’s words made his flesh crawl.

"I heard a man laughing," Aaron said in a low voice.

"I sensed the energy of a being, mighty and ancient, and definitely not human at all," Neldor said in a calm voice.

Aaron seized the reins of his horse tightly. He made a step towards the wizard.

"Who is the being? Where is it now?" he asked anxiously.

"Gone," Neldor replied. "It is gone. And so far, I have no idea who or what it was."

Neldor looked at the trees with narrowed eyes. The aura was calm and peaceful. And yet, Neldor sensed something else, too. It was not an aura of threat. Neither was it an anticipation of evil. Not even danger. And not a warning. Neldor took a deep breath and closed his eyes. He calmed his mind and focused on his sixth sense. The aura resembled the aura that had come from the Western Mountains when he had travelled there with his companions in order to stop Ogol, the black magician. The aura of the wood resembled the aura of the Castle of Saelethiel. Yet it was older or, more precise, it was timeless. The aura spoke of a state before time had started ticking, before time and space were entwined.

Neldor opened his eyes. He had gained certainty.

"This journey is of no return for those who are not summoned to pass the gate," he said in a toneless voice. There will be made no exception. This is not malice. This is just the law."

Aaron’s eyes flickered briefly. He did not understand the wizard’s words. But the tone of his voice made his flesh creep again and deep inside Aaron knew that the magician had spoken the truth.

"We must find Lyaris soon. I don’t think he is summoned," Aaron uttered. "He might pass the gate because he relates to Samuin’s energy and because he is a fool."

Neldor’s eyes rested on Aaron’s face for a moment. The young man had unconsciously spoken the truth.

"If he is summoned, then Prince Lyaris will get an opportunity to gain wisdom and knowledge. He will get an opportunity to realize and become aware. He then can choose and take the right path. However, if he passes the gate accidentally, then the prince will be lost," Neldor said gravely.

He paused and looked absent-mindedly at the ash trees.

"However, this won’t happen. I’m certain about it. I’m certain that Lyaris is summoned," he said.

Aaron did not dare to speak. He seized the reins of his horse tightly. Neldor patted the neck of his horse and then he smiled vaguely at Aaron.

"Where did the laughter come from, Aaron?" he asked.

"From over there," Aaron replied, pointing in a direction.

"We won’t go there. We will stay here for the night. And from now on we must keep a clear head and watch out for anything that is unfamiliar," Neldor said.

He looked at Aaron seriously.

"And we must not react instantly and follow our first impulse. Why, Aaron?" he asked.

"Because this could lead us astray," Aaron replied in a low voice.

Neldor nodded pensively.

~~**~~

2012 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..