Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aglanthol 4 - Tyrnae (Journey to the Otherworld) - 9. Chapter 9

Neldor and Aaron awoke the following morning. The sun was shining, yet the rays of the sun barely reached the ground. The air was chilly and Neldor and Aaron felt cold. Aaron looked for additional clothes in his bag. He took out the velvet vest that Lyaris had given to him as a present. Aaron touched the smooth fabric. He felt a lump in his throat and tears came to his eyes.

Neldor watched Aaron. He felt pity for the young man. The old wizard racked his brain. He sought for a way to find the prince and take him safely back home. For the time being, however, he had to keep an eye on Aaron. He had to stop the young man from acting carelessly.

They mounted their horses and moved on through the wood. Neldor let his horse find the way. Aaron followed the wizard close behind. He was cold and he was scared. The huge trees were dark and menacing. Aaron felt that something drew them in. He felt as if they could not go back. He felt they could only move on. The magic of the wood controlled their steps.

They moved on for a while. Then Neldor stopped and raised his hand. The sudden stop shook Aaron out of his absent-minded state. He looked up anxiously.

"I’m sensing the energy again," Neldor whispered.

Aaron’s eyes widened and his lips opened slightly. He gazed into the wood and listened attentively. He had expected it. He had almost waited for the sound. Yet his body tensed when he actually heard the sound of small bells. Aaron gave Neldor a frightened look.

"The bells," he said under his breath.

Neldor nodded. They sat silently on their horses and listened into the wood. Suddenly, Neldor raised his hand and pointed ahead. Aaron looked in the direction, yet he did not see anything.

"The being retreated," Neldor said. "However, I sensed its energy. It’s a timeless energy, old and ancient."

The wizard patted the neck of his horse. The animal moved on. Aaron followed Neldor close behind. After a few minutes, they entered a clearing. A huge ash tree stood in the centre. Mimir’s fountain, however, was invisible to them.

"Yggdrasil," Neldor said in awe as he recognized the ancient ash tree. "The tree of life," he said to Aaron who had caught up with him.

Aaron looked at the huge tree. Roots had grown out from the trunk and crept across the clearing. The tree looked ancient and mysterious. Aaron felt intimidated.

"We have reached the gate," Neldor said in a serious voice. "It is the day of Samuin. The gate is close, Aaron. It’s somewhere here. However, I do not see the fountain."

"Which fountain?" Aaron asked nervously.

"Mimir’s fountain," Neldor said. "It is said to be located right next to Yggdrasil, the tree of life. Mimir guards it and Mimir is around."

Aaron gave Neldor a questioning look.

"The energy I sensed," Neldor explained. "The being is not a human being. It is timeless and ancient. But I suspect that Mimir will contact us soon."

Aaron swallowed. He felt no need to get to know an ancient and non-human being. He felt, however, that there was no way back for them. They had already gone too far. The wood now would not let them go anymore. Aaron touched the collar of the velvet vest. The smooth fabric reminded him of Lyaris and why he had set out to find him. He would accomplish his mission. He would even meet an ancient and supernatural being, if he had to. Aaron gave in to his destiny. He moved his horse closer to Neldor’s, and then he sat silently, awaiting the inevitable that was to come.

Neldor scanned the surroundings with his sixth sense. He was sure meanwhile that Prince Lyaris had come here also. Had the prince passed the gate already? Neldor suspected he had. Had Tyrnae called the prince to visit the ancient land? Neldor was pondering on this question. The correct answer was essential and would determine how they had to carry on. Neldor wondered why the fountain did not reveal itself to them. Did Mimir not trust them? Would he lead them astray? Neldor closed his eyes. He concentrated and focused his mind. He called out to the timeless being. And Mimir responded. In the split of a second, a mighty energy entered the clearing. Neldor took a deep breath and opened his eyes. Aaron’s lips opened and his eyes widened in fear. He now felt the energy as well.

Mimir materialized in front of the huge ash tree. He carried a spear. His look was cold and grim.

"Who are you?" he called out in a loud and dark voice.

Aaron tensed. He clenched his fingers and bit his lip. He gazed at the strange and odd looking man. Neldor gave a bow to the man.

"My greetings to you, Mimir, guardian of the fountain of wisdom and knowledge," Neldor said in a grave voice.

Mimir’s eyes rested on the old wizard.

"My greetings to you, wanderers," he said. "What or who are you looking for?" he asked.

"We are looking for Prince Lyaris of Aglanthol," Neldor replied.

Mimir studied them. His look was cold and grim.

"The prince passed the gate. However, you are not invited to Tyrnae. The fountain remains invisible to you and the gate remains sealed," he said coldly.

Neldor gave a nod.

"I accept your decision, Mimir, guardian of Tyrnae," he said. "Yet, the wood led us here. It drew us in. What is the message you have to pass on to us?" he asked gravely.

Aaron looked between Neldor and the weird man. He did not understand much of what they were talking about. He had, however, understood that Lyaris had passed the gate and that he and Neldor were not given permission to cross it. Tears came to Aaron’s eyes. Mimir gave him a brief look before he turned his eyes back to Neldor.

"Quiet your mind, wanderers," Mimir said. "The prince heard Tyrnae’s call. He is free to leave the ancient realm again and carry with him something that he will be given. This is the ancient law."

Neldor nodded gravely.

"I feel relieved to hear these words. And I acknowledge the ancient law," the wizard said. "And yet I sense that there is more to it. What else do you have to pass on to us?" he asked.

Mimir studied the old wizard.

"The prince is free to leave the ancient realm again. However, he will feel tempted to stay on his own accord. This is against Tyrnae’s will. Tyrnae wants him to carry something to the human world," Mimir said.

Neldor wondered why Tyrnae had called a wayward prince to carry out the mission. Yet, he quickly focused his mind again and concentrated on Mimir. Mimir knew the wizard’s thoughts.

"Nothing happens without a reason, wanderers," he said in his full voice.

Mimir chuckled. He pointed his spear at Aaron. Aaron tensed instantly.

"You only can convince Prince Lyaris to leave Tyrnae again. And that is why you and your companion are granted access to the ancient realm, albeit for only one day and only if you find a passage on your own. The gate remains sealed to you. Prove you are worthy," Mimir said. His voice was almost threatening now.

Aaron felt paralyzed with fear and his mind was chaos. He seized the reins of his horse. His hands were trembling. So it was all up to him? How should he manage it? Aaron had no clue at all. Fear and despair overwhelmed him.

Mimir turned back to Neldor. Neldor also felt bewildered at Mimir’s words. However, he forced himself to focus his mind on the magical being.

"There is only one other way that I have heard of," Neldor said calmly.

Mimir nodded gravely.

"This is the way, wanderer. You must find it and ask for a passage," he said.

Neldor nodded.

"We must find the ferryman then," he said, just stating the fact.

Mimir gave a nod.

"The ferryman offers a passage to the realm of the dead. However, he can also transfer you to the realm of Tyrnae. Convince the ferryman. Do the right thing and you will enter Tyrnae. Else you will be lost to the realm of the dead," Mimir said in dark and hollow voice.

His figure faded and then disappeared. Neldor sensed the energy no longer. The old wizard straightened on his horse. He looked at the huge ash tree. Fate had summoned him. It was up to him to arrange the passage. And it was up to Aaron to find the prince and lead him out of Tyrnae.

Neldor turned to Aaron who gazed at the old wizard in fear.

"We are summoned to find the passage," Neldor said calmly.

He channelled reassuring energy to the young man until Aaron relaxed a little. Aaron gave Neldor a nod.

"All right, Master Neldor," he said weakly. "Where do we start our search?

Neldor rubbed his chin pensively. And then the wizard dismounted.

~~**~~

Erendil and Lyaris reached the edge of the wood. A field of asters spread in front of them. The flowers were red, yellow, and purple. The play of colours impressed Lyaris greatly. He was barely able to look his fill. Thy sky was blue and the sun shed a golden light. The air was warm and a soft breeze was blowing. Two purple butterflies danced in the air. Lyaris felt totally enchanted.

"What a beautiful place!" he exclaimed in awe.

Erendil smiled at him.

"Come, let’s cross the field. My father’s house is on the other side," he said in a melodious voice.

Erendil moved on and Lyaris followed him. They walked through the flowers that were bigger and more colourful than the flowers in the human world. A happy feeling took hold of Lyaris and he moved on cheerfully. They reached the end of the field and Lyaris caught sight of Erendil’s home.

The house didn’t look like any house Lyaris had ever seen. It was big and the walls were made of white stones that looked like tuff. The house looked light and yet it was solid. The large entrance was made of white wood. Many windows let the light in and the sun reflected in the window panes. Ornate balconies and small towers made the house look like the fairy palaces Lyaris had read about in his childhood tales. Lyaris stood and took in the sight. The house did not resemble his father’s house in the slightest. The king’s house was splendid, too, yet in an old-fashioned way. The windows were small. The walls were made of thick stones. The stones were often covered with moss and creepers. Erendil’s home, however, was embellished by climbing roses and flower beds in front of the house. Lilies exhaled an enticing scent and small ponds invited to sit down beside them.

Erendil moved on and Lyaris followed him like in a trance. He took in every detail. He felt like under a charm. Erendil now and then cast him a glance and smiled at him. He did not say anything, however. The elf moved on silently. Finally, they reached the door. Lyaris wondered where the watchmen were. Erendil saw his questioning look.

"We don’t need guards to watch over this place," he said softly. "The place is protected by a ward. Nobody can pass it without permission. I invited you. You’re welcome here," he said.

Lyaris looked at the elf in wonder. He had never seen such a beautiful place. Tyrnae was very different from his world. Lyaris understood why Tyrnae had closed itself up from the human world. The humans would only disturb and ultimately destroy the beautiful place. Lyaris thought of Zhoron, his father’s magician. He had not given Zhoron a single thought since he had left the hunter’s lodge. The man had wanted to intrude into the ancient realm. Greed and thirst for power had been his motives. Lyaris wondered what the man had done when he had found out that he was gone. Did Zhoron follow him? Was he close? Fear showed in Lyaris’ eyes.

"What is wrong with you?" Erendil asked. He stood in the doorway and looked back at Lyaris.

"I was just wondering if someone followed me here," Lyaris replied quickly.

Erendil tilted his head and looked at Lyaris.

"You travelled with someone else?" he asked. "And you don’t want him to come here as well? Do not fear, Prince Lyaris, Mimir will not let him in."

"He wanted to intrude into the ancient realm," Lyaris said in a low voice.

"Like you did?" Erendil asked back, studying the prince attentively.

Lyaris swallowed.

"I just wanted to have a look. But I am sure meanwhile that Zhoron wanted to steal something from Tyrnae," he said.

Erendil smiled.

"Mimir won’t let him in," he repeated in a firm voice and then he opened the door.

Erendil made an inviting gesture with his hand. Lyaris stepped inside. Erendil followed him and closed the door. They had entered a large entrance hall. Many pillars divided the room. The pillars, the walls, and the floor were made of white marble stone. Flowers in crystal vases exhaled an aromatic scent. Fine woven carpets covered the floor and elaborate tapestry decorated the walls. The light of the sun fell through a window. It played on the marble floor and made it look airy and light. Lyaris just stood and took in the sight. The beauty of the place overwhelmed him once more. The king’s hall in Aglanthol looked dreary and dark, and the decoration was coarse, compared to this hall. Lyaris took a deep breath. He found that breathing was much easier here. Erendil watched Lyaris. An amused smile played on his lips. Lyaris looked around once more.

"Where are the people?" he asked, suddenly realizing that the hall was empty.

Erendil looked at him for a moment, yet did not reply. Lyaris was shaken out of his trance. He started to wonder and ponder. Yet before he was able to ask another question, Erendil spoke to him. He pointed at a winding staircase in the back of the hall.

"Come," he said in his enticing and melodious voice. "Come, Prince Lyaris, I will show you to my room."

Lyaris stopped pondering at hearing Erendil’s soft voice. The elf had already moved on. He climbed the stairs and Lyaris followed him close behind. As they ascended the stairs, Lyaris heard the sound of small bells. Erendil glanced back and smiled at him. Lyaris moved on in wonder. He felt enchanted again.

~~**~~

 

2012 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..