Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aglanthol 4 - Tyrnae (Journey to the Otherworld) - 14. Chapter 14

Erendil and Lyaris drew back from their embrace. They looked up at the blue sky in astonishment. Lyaris blinked in bewilderment. Erendil’s room had disappeared. The whole house had vanished. Erendil gazed at the sky. The sun shone down on them. Erendil turned his head and saw the flower field that stretched around them. The elf slowly awoke from his trance. He realized what had happened. He had stopped channelling energy in his shelter and ward. He had been entirely focused on the human man.

Fear took hold of Erendil’s heart. It was his instinctive reaction on everything unfamiliar. Erendil made an attempt to rebuild the energy field. However, he failed. A voice in the back of his head told him that it was too late anyway and that it was the best for him. Erendil breathed heavily. He tried to control his instinctive fear. Lyaris saw the elf’s distress. Although he did not know how Erendil had done it, he knew that the elf had created the house as a shelter and in order to close himself up from the world. Lyaris could relate to Erendil’s feelings. Lyaris knew the same fear all too well. He reached out his hand and touched Erendil’s cheek softly. Erendil looked at him. His look was sad.

"This is the end of all I knew," Erendil said in a low voice. "I am the one to blame. I tempted you to come with me. I led you in my secret place of shelter. The place is gone and I cannot rebuild it. I am scared, Lyaris."

"I am scared myself," Lyaris whispered. "I understand your feelings very well. I am vulnerable and so are you. But I also feel loved and I hope you feel loved, too."

Erendil nodded and then smiled faintly. He closed his eyes. Lyaris stroked his cheek softly.

"Perhaps vulnerability is the price of love," Lyaris said.

Erendil opened his eyes.

"Perhaps it is essential to love and feel loved," he replied.

They looked at each other for a while.

"You brought me a gift, a very precious gift, Prince Lyaris from Aglanthol," Erendil said in a serious voice. "You brought me the gift of love. I thank you, Lyaris."

Lyaris looked at Erendil.

"Your words sound like a farewell," he said worriedly.

Erendil nodded with a smile. He reached out his hand and stroked Lyaris’ temple.

"This place was beautiful. But it was a prison. I closed myself up and I created this world. I suspect you don’t create such places in your human world," Erendil said.

Lyaris pondered, and then he nodded.

"I understand, Erendil. No, I cannot create a solitary place and a secret shelter with magic, but I can close myself up as well. I did, Erendil. You made me a present as well. You gave me love and you opened my heart," Lyaris said.

They looked at each other for a while.

"What is going to happen now, Erendil?" Lyaris asked.

Erendil looked at Lyaris seriously.

"I am not a human being, Lyaris, although you made me feel vitalized and carnal. My appearance is not as solid as yours. My energy changed and I feel my appearance will adjust to the change. Tyrnae calls me to go to another place where I fit in better than in this lonely yet beautiful place," Erendil said.

Lyaris struggled to understand. He did not grasp all the words that Erendil said. He felt, however, that Erendil was leaving him soon. And Lyaris sensed that he was not allowed to hold him back. His heart sank and he felt a lump in his throat. Lyaris swallowed and tears filled his eyes. Erendil touched Lyaris’ cheek. He wiped away a tear with his finger.

"You brought me the gift of love, dear Lyaris, and your brought me the gift of lovesickness. So precious feelings, Lyaris. I want to share them with the world of Tyrnae. Tyrnae is the place where I belong," Erendil said.

Lyaris nodded slowly.

"You gave me the same gift, too, Erendil. I will take it with me to the place where I came from and where I belong," he said in a stifled voice.

"Tyrnae summoned you for a reason, Lyaris," Erendil said seriously. "Like the ancient magicians you must take your gift to the human world."

Erendil turned his head slightly and listened attentively.

"Someone is approaching, Lyaris," he said. "It is time for me to leave."

Erendil moved closer and kissed Lyaris’ forehead. Then he kissed Lyaris’ lips gently. Lyaris responded. He kissed Erendil’s lips tenderly. And then, from one moment to the other, Erendil was gone. The elf had disappeared.

"Farewell, Lyaris," a faint voice whispered into Lyaris’ ear.

A soft breeze tickled Lyaris’ skin. Lyaris looked up and saw a purple butterfly dancing in the air. More tears filled Lyaris’ eyes.

"Farewell, Erendil," he said under his breath.

The butterfly flew away. Lyaris looked after it until it had disappeared from his sight. Then he turned his head and looked around. Flowers spread wherever he could see. Lyaris sat up and brushed back his hair. He caught sight of his clothes amongst the flowers. Lyaris dressed slowly. And then he just sat and looked out. He saw nobody approaching. But he trusted that Erendil had told him the truth. Lyaris decided to just sit and wait for who was coming to find him.

~~**~~

Aaron stopped short at the sight of a figure in the distance. Who was it? Was it Lyaris? The man was sitting among the flowers. He did not look in Aaron’s direction. Aaron moved on hesitantly. And then his heart made a jump. He recognized Lyaris. The prince was sitting alone on the ground. Aaron’s heart beat faster, and then he started to run.

"Lyaris!" he called out. His voice was excited.

Lyaris turned at the call. He recognized the voice instantly.

"Aaron," he uttered, feeling perplexed.

Lyaris rose to his feet and looked in the direction where the call had come from. He saw a man running towards him. It was him. It was Aaron. Lyaris’ heart made a jump, and then the prince started to run.

"Aaron!" Lyaris called out as he hurried towards the young man.

"Aaron!" he called out when they met.

"Lyaris," Aaron uttered under his breath.

Lyaris flung into Aaron’s arms and Aaron wrapped his arms around him. They stood in a tight embrace. They stood motionless, just giving in to their feelings. Finally, Lyaris drew back and looked at Aaron.

"Aaron, where have you come from?" he asked, feeling totally perplexed.

"I was seeking you," Aaron said. "I am so happy I found you, Lyaris."

Aaron stood and looked at Lyaris. He was overwhelmed with emotions and feelings. Lyaris stepped closer and embraced Aaron again.

"I was a fool," Lyaris said in low voice. "I was a fool when I left my home. I was enchanted by the old tales. I wanted to enter Tyrnae and look for adventures."

Aaron stroked Lyaris’ back.

"And have you found what you were looking for?" he asked softly.

Lyaris nodded against Aaron’s neck.

"I am so happy you have found me, Aaron," he muttered.

"This is a good thing," Aaron replied. He did not want to know more, not here and not now.

Lyaris drew back from Aaron’s embrace. He was about to say something when he spotted a figure approaching. Aaron turned his head and saw the wizard Neldor.

"I travelled with the wizard Neldor," Aaron said. "He helped me come here. I would not have made it without him."

Lyaris was too mixed up to reply. He looked at the wizard who approached them with a smile.

"My greetings, Prince Lyaris. I am glad to see you are doing well," Neldor said in a measured voice.

"My greetings, Master Neldor," Lyaris said meekly at realizing that the old wizard Neldor and his best friend Aaron had set out to find him in the magical world.

Neldor smiled at Lyaris’ embarrassment, yet he refrained from commenting.

"How about we travel back to our world?" Neldor asked in a sober voice instead.

"I’d really appreciate it," Aaron replied.

"And so do I," Lyaris agreed. "Did you cross the gate as well? Did you meet Mimir, too?"

"We took a different way," Neldor said.

"We had to find the river Styx that is the borderline between our world and the realm of the dead," Aaron explained.

Lyaris’ eyes widened. He felt startled at this revelation.

"The realm of the dead," he said in a stifled voice.

"We did not enter it," Aaron said. "The ferryman took us to Tyrnae."

Lyaris’ eyes widened even more.

"Good Lord, what have I done to you," he said weakly. "You faced the skeleton man?"

"Fortunately not," Neldor replied. He cast an amused smile at Aaron. "Thanks to Aaron’s vivid imagination, we were able to avoid a meeting with that creature."

Lyaris looked between Neldor and Aaron. He felt even more confused.

"I will tell you all later," Aaron said. "A kind man brought us here. However, I think we can leave through the gate."

"Yes," Neldor said with a nod. "This is what I guessed from Mimir’s words also."

"So you met him, too?" Lyaris asked again.

"We did," Neldor replied. "And I could imagine we will meet him again when we leave."

"Better do not imagine anything, Master Neldor. This is my job," Aaron said with a wink at the wizard.

Lyaris did not grasp their words and he gave up quickly. Neldor and Aaron apparently knew how to get out of Tyrnae. He would follow them and not make any more moves of his own.

Neldor chuckled.

"Well, then, young man, where is the gate? Do you have an idea?" he asked Aaron.

Aaron looked around. He scratched his head. Lyaris pointed in a direction.

"I’m pretty sure the gate was over there," he said.

They all looked in the direction, yet they did not see anything particular.

"It was right near the rowan tree where Erendil hid," Lyaris said.

He fell silent instantly. His cheeks blushed and he looked to the ground.

Aaron’s cheeks blushed also. He felt a twitch in his stomach.

"Don’t follow your first impulse," Neldor said almost casually and to no one in particular.

Lyaris looked at Neldor in confusion. Aaron, however, bit his lip. He took a deep breath and forced himself to calm down. He nodded, and then turned around. He pointed in the direction Lyaris had indicated.

"All right," Aaron said. "Let’s go and find the rowan tree."

He moved on. Neldor and Lyaris followed him. They walked for a while. Then the flower field ended. They reached the edge of the wood.

"There was a path. We stepped on it," Lyaris said.

He walked ahead and looked out for the path. He finally spotted it.

"Good," Neldor said.

The wizard walked ahead and followed the path. He was certain now that they would find the gate. Aaron and Lyaris followed the wizard. They did not speak and moved on silently. They reached a clearing. Lyaris stepped ahead and looked out for the rowan tree. He spotted it and moved towards it. Just when he reached it, a purple butterfly flew up and danced in front of him in the air. A shiver ran up Lyaris’ spine.

"Farewell, Erendil," Lyaris whispered.

A faint breeze tickled his skin. The butterfly flew up in the air.

"Farewell, Lyaris, and thank you so much for the love that you gave me. May you do well in the world where you belong," Erendil’s soft and melodious voice spoke out of nowhere.

Lyaris felt a lump in his throat. He swallowed and then gave a nod.

"Farewell," he whispered. "Goodbye, Erendil, may you do well and best of luck."

Neldor and Aaron watched Lyaris from the distance. They sensed that the moment was precious for the prince. Neldor reached out and patted Aaron’s shoulder. Aaron glanced at the wizard and gave him a nod. Neldor gave Aaron a smile and, unnoticed by Aaron, the old wizard channelled reassuring energy to the young man.

Finally, Lyaris turned to them again. He waved his hand.

"I found the rowan tree," he called out.

Neldor and Aaron joined the prince.

"The gate was right here," Lyaris said.

"Call out to Mimir, Master Neldor, like you called out to the ferryman. I am certain this will work out," Aaron said.

Neldor rubbed his chin, and then he nodded. He straightened and then he called out loud.

"Mimir, gatekeeper of Tyrnae, please open the gate!"

A mist rose and the air grew cold. The fog grew thicker and then they found themselves standing under the huge root of a tree. The root formed an arch that looked like a gate. Neldor sensed a powerful energy on the other side of it.

Neldor made a gesture with his hand, and then he walked through the gate. Aaron and Lyaris followed the wizard close behind. The mist disappeared as soon as they had crossed the gate.

~~**~~

 

2012 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..