Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aglanthol 4 - Tyrnae (Journey to the Otherworld) - 6. Chapter 6

Lyaris was sitting under a tree, eating cheese and bread. He had found the place that Zhoron had described to him in detail. It was a hunter’s lodge in a wood. Zhoron had drawn a map and had explained the route to Lyaris. The prince had ridden west for two days. He had followed Zhoron’s instructions carefully. Lyaris had met only few travellers on the road. They had not paid much attention to him.

The hunter’s lodge was hidden in the wood. A barely visible path led to it. Lyaris was waiting for Zhoron who was supposed to arrive in a day or two. The magician would lead the king and his men on a wrong track. And then he would ride west to catch up with Lyaris. So far, everything had worked out according to the plan they had devised. Lyaris had arrived in time. He had found the hut without difficulties. He had meanwhile spent two days in the lodge.

Night had fallen. Lyaris looked into the darkness. A few weeks ago he would have objected to the idea of travelling on his own and spending the night alone in the wood. The thrill of the adventure, however, had swept his fears and concerns away. Lyaris was all excited. The ancient books had revealed a new world to him. The ancient words had fascinated him and the vivid imagery had drawn him in. Lyaris dreamed of passing the secret gate. He looked forward to entering the magical world of Tyrnae. Lyaris was grateful that Zhoron had not objected to teaching him the ancient language. His father’s new magician had understood his dreams and ambitions. Lyaris trusted the man and he had opened up to him. Zhoron had introduced to him to a new world that had fascinated the prince. They had delved into the ancient tales together and finally they had devised their adventurous plan.

Lyaris rose to his feet and entered the hut. He lit a candle and sat down on his blankets. Autumn had come. The days were still warm, but the nights were already chilly. Luckily, he had taken warm clothes and several blankets along. Lyaris rubbed his cold hands, and then he took a manuscript out of his bag. He had summarized the ancient tales. Lyaris read a few paragraphs, and then he lowered the paper. He looked into the light of the candle. His birthday was near. He would turn eighteen in two days, on the day of Samuin exactly. That was why he and Zhoron had acted quickly.

They had found out that the gate to Tyrnae opened to the chosen on Samuin. A chosen one was often born on the day of Samuin. It was not the single criterion for a chosen one and not a necessary either according to the ancient texts. But the finding had fuelled Lyaris and Zhoron’s ambitions. They were determined to enter Tyrnae. Lyaris had no particular plans. He looked forward to visiting an entirely unknown and magical world. In all honesty, he had no idea of what awaited him there. But the prince imagined that the place was beautiful and full of wonders and Zhoron had never corrected the idea.

Lyaris’ thoughts turned to his father. Did his father worry? Had he sent out soldiers to find him? Lyaris felt bad for a second, but he brushed the feeling aside. Zhoron would calm his father’s mind. They would be back soon anyway and they would tell the king and his counsellors of all the wonders they had seen. Lyaris was certain that his tale would impress his father greatly. He had no doubt that his father would ultimately forgive his disobedient son.

Aaron came to Lyaris’ mind. The prince lowered his eyes briefly. He felt guilty and ashamed. Aaron would have been delighted to accompany him. He would have deserved it anyway. He had always stood behind Lyaris and he had always backed up his projects and plans. But he had rejected Aaron and he had banned him from his life. Lyaris swallowed. What else could he have done after Aaron had kissed him? The kiss had taken Lyaris entirely by surprise. He had not known how to react and how to cope with it. And he had felt utterly uncomfortable when he and Aaron met accidentally or when Aaron approached him. Lyaris had been grateful when Zhoron had intervened. The magician had somehow saved him from embarrassment, disgrace, and shame.

Lyaris swallowed again. A faint voice in his head told him that he was nasty and that he was a coward. It told him that he was entirely wrong. Lyaris seized his manuscript and gazed at the letters. He refused to listen to the faint voice in his head. Lyaris resumed reading his manuscript. He focused hard on the words and he did not stop reading until the voice had finally faded.

~~**~~

Zhoron stood in his room. He had finished packing. A content smile crossed his face. One more night and then he would finally leave and catch up with the prince. Zhoron was satisfied. Everything went according to plan. He had deceived the king and his counsellors. It had been surprisingly easy, although Zhoron had expected that the king would give in very soon. He had established an energy bond between him and the king. Thus Zhoron was able to subtly influence and manipulate the man. However, he had expected strong resistance from the king’s counsellors. But the men had quickly agreed with the king and had endorsed Zhoron’s proposal to ride out and look for the prince. Zhoron shook his head. The men had bought his crude tale. He could hardly believe that the men had not seen through him and his plan. Those men were all imbeciles in Zhoron’s eyes. But so much the better. Zhoron was free to carry out his plan. Zhoron rubbed his hands. He felt content and confident. He would leave and ride west in just a few hours. He would soon reach his destination. He would soon enter the magical realm of Tyrnae.

Zhoron knew that he was not a chosen one. He did not meet a single criterion. But the prince would help him to open the gate. The prince was born on the day of Samuin. His energy related to the energy of Samuin and the energy of the secret and magical gate. Zhoron knew that a true chosen one would hear Tyrnae’s call and without ambiguity would understand where he was called to and why. This was the only criterion that really counted. All others were helpful, but not necessary at all in the end. Zhoron had concealed this from the prince. The young man was ambitious and excited. He looked forward to an adventure. Zhoron would not stop the young man nor would he reveal the truth to him.

Zhoron’s look turned grim. He thought of the ancient tales and legends. It was said that the ancient magicians had come from Tyrnae. It was said that their magical power had been big and mighty. Zhoron was determined to get for himself what those ancient masters had possessed. He wanted their skills, their talents, and their powers. Zhoron compressed his lips. No, he did not hear Tyrnae’s call. But Prince Lyaris was born on the day of Samuin and his personal energy related to the magical gate. Zhoron nodded confidently. Prince Lyaris would open the secret gate, and then he, Zhoron, would force his way in.

Zhoron lay down to sleep for a few hours. He knew that his subconscious mind would wake him in time.

~~**~~

Aaron and Neldor met early in the morning. Dawn had not yet come. The wizard and the young man led their horses out of the stable and then they passed the gate unseen and unheard. Neldor had put up a ward that made him and Aaron and also their horses invisible. The wizard and the young man hid in the shadows. They waited outside of the town in the dark. They waited for the king’s new magician in order to follow the man. Neldor and Aaron stood quietly. They waited for Zhoron to pass them by.

Zhoron awoke in time. Dawn had not yet come when he left his room and hurried to the royal hall. The hall was empty except of an old man who was sitting at the table. Zhoron informed the man on his departure. The old man nodded tiredly and made a weak gesture with his hand. Zhoron bowed to him and smiled wickedly. He left the hall and went to the royal stables. Zhoron picked a black stallion. He left the stable and led the horse to the gate. The watchmen eyed the king’s magician fearfully, yet they did not dare to speak to the man. Zhoron mounted his horse and passed the gate. Neldor and Aaron watched him from the shadows.

Neldor fixed his sixth sense on the magician. He read Zhoron’s personal energy pattern when the man passed them by. Neldor sensed no resistance. Zhoron did not react. He showed no sign that he had sensed Neldor’s intrusion into his energy field. Neldor looked after the figure that disappeared in the dim morning light. He now knew Zhoron’s personal energy pattern which would allow him to easily track the man down. Neldor shook his head in disbelief. The man had not sensed his intrusion. He had not even put up a ward. Neldor wondered if the man really thought he was able to pass the secret and magical gate. Did he really plan to enter the magical realm of Tyrnae? Neldor shook his head once more. Zhoron was either a fool or he had delusions of grandeur.

Neldor leaned in to Aaron.

"We will be waiting for another while, just to make sure that he is ahead of us. Then we will be following the adept," he whispered.

Aaron gave the wizard a nod. He looked in the direction where the magician had disappeared. The road led to a crossroad. One road led east and the other west. The legend said that the gate to Tyrnae was located in the west. Aaron had no doubt that the magical realm of Tyrnae was Zhoron’s destination. Neldor and Aaron waited for some time. Then they mounted their horses and followed the man. Like Aaron had expected, Neldor took the road that led to the west. Morning had meanwhile broken. The wizard and the young man rode silently for a while. Aaron looked ahead.

"What if he turns back, Master Neldor? Won’t he stop us?" he asked with concern.

"He won’t," Neldor replied. "I have put up a ward that makes us and our horses invisible. He can’t see us. He won’t even spot hoof prints in the dust."

Aaron gazed at Neldor. The old wizard impressed him greatly.

"Has Zhoron put up a ward also?" he asked curiously.

"Yes," Neldor replied. "He has put up a ward a short while ago. The hoof prints of his horse disappeared at the crossroad."

Aaron looked at the road. He did not see any hoof prints.

"How do we know where Zhoron is?" he asked worriedly. "We don’t know when he leaves the road or stops for a rest."

"He is still ahead of us. He is moving at a steady pace. I can track him down. He was careless. I gained access to his energy pattern. I’m able to locate the man," Neldor said.

Aaron looked at the wizard in awe. Neldor gave him a smile. They moved on silently.

Like Neldor had said, Zhoron moved on at a steady pace. He had no idea that someone followed him. The idea, so far, had not even occurred to him. Zhoron was confident. He trusted his plan. He would meet up with the prince in two days at the latest.

Zhoron reached a wood in the evening. He dismounted and led his horse into the forest. Neldor sensed that Zhoron had stopped. He stopped his horse also and looked ahead. The wizard pointed at the wood in the distance.

"He has stopped. I suspect that he will camp in the wood. We need to find a safe place for the night also. I think I saw a deserted barn a couple of minutes ago," Neldor said.

~~**~~

Neldor and Aaron settled in the barn for the night. They sat silently for a while.

"It’s a true adventure, Master Neldor," Aaron said out of a sudden

"This is not an adventure. I’m determined to find Prince Lyaris before his adventurous trip turns into a nightmare," Neldor replied seriously.

"What do you mean, Master Neldor? Why do you think Lyaris’ trip will turn into a nightmare?" Aaron asked in a pressed voice.

"Because the prince has no idea of the magical realm of Tyrnae," Neldor replied.

"Lyaris was all excited," Aaron said. "I think he and Zhoron found out how to cross the gate. I suspect that they are determined to enter Tyrnae."

"I have already told you, Aaron, that they most likely read in the books that Tyrnae was the land where the ancient magicians had come from. The day of Samuin reminds us of this event. The gate to the otherworld opens wide on Samuin. A magician knows how to handle the forces that come from the otherworld to the human world. There is a constant flow of energy. The energy, however, moves slowly in our world and therefore it does not confuse and perplex people. Sometimes, however, you can get a glimpse of this energy. You just need to be attentive. Haven’t you experienced something that you cannot explain with your common sense, Aaron? Everybody does notice the unknown now and then. But people usually put the sensation aside because it does not make sense to them."

"I once went to see Lyaris," Aaron said pensively. "He had just come back from his training, bow and arrows. He told me of the training. It was odd. I had a feeling that his words were not new to me. I felt as if I had already heard the story. I even knew the ending before he told it to me."

Aaron’s look was absent-minded. He thought of the incident before he looked back at the wizard.

"How did I know the ending of the story before Lyaris told it to me? Did my knowledge come from the otherworld?" he asked curiously.

"In fact, Aaron," Neldor replied seriously. "Time is not linear there. Past, present, and future are entwined. This is why you can go to Tyrnae and meet the ancient magicians before they even passed through the gate and entered the human world, for instance."

"You mean you can travel back in time there?" Aaron asked in bewilderment.

"You can’t travel back in time there, Aaron, because time does not exist there. Not the flow of time at least that you know and that you are used to, the flow from the past to the present and from the present to the future. You can travel through time only where time exists, and this is in our world, Aaron," Neldor said with a smile.

"I cannot travel back or forth in time," Aaron replied.

"But you can think of the past and you can make plans for the future," Neldor said. "You could rise to your feet now, Aaron, and get your horse and ride back to the royal court. Or you could ride to your Uncle Garrik. Or you could just ride west in hope of finding Lyaris. Either decision would generate a different future. You see, Aaron, you can very well change the course of time," Neldor said.

"Yes," Aaron said slowly. "But I cannot go back and change what I did. I cannot go back to the day when I kissed Lyaris and make it undone."

Aaron fell silent. He gazed at the wizard in shock when he realized what he had just said. Aaron looked to the ground. He blushed deeply and his muscles tensed. Neldor’s eyes rested on the young man. A faint smile showed on his lips.

"You are not supposed to go back and make it undone because this was exactly what fate wanted to happen," he said softly.

Aaron did not respond for a while. He just looked at Neldor out of the corner of his eye. Neldor sat silently. He looked at Aaron and gave him another smile. Aaron relaxed. He turned his eyes to the wizard.

"I guess Prince Lyaris was a bit overwhelmed?" Neldor asked.

Aaron gave a brief nod. He swallowed.

"I took him by surprise. And then he ran from me," he said in a low voice.

"He needed time to come to terms with himself, I guess. Unfortunately, the adept took advantage of his vulnerability," Neldor said thoughtfully.

"The intruder," Aaron said in a bitter voice.

"Lyaris is a sensitive young man, predestined to attract the energies of Samuin," Neldor said pensively. "He’s vulnerable. Zhoron took advantage of his vulnerability. He established an energy bond. However, the bond of love is much stronger than Zhoron’s bond is. Zhoron is a dilettante. I suspect he thought that spending a few weeks with Lyaris would suffice to make the prince fall for him."

"But perhaps he did. Perhaps Lyaris fell for him," Aaron replied in a worried voice.

"No," Neldor said, shaking his head. "No, I did not sense love when I scanned Zhoron’s energy field, neither love that streamed from his heart, nor love that streamed to it. Their connection is not based on love. It is based on ambition and eagerness."

"Is Lyaris that greedy?" Aaron asked in a disappointed voice.

"No, they don’t crave for the same. The prince aims at filling a hole in his heart. He is vulnerable and he hurts himself by his stubbornness. Deep in his heart, the prince wants to be healed. And he hopes for a magical wonder. The prince is not evil. He is naive, maybe. Well, the prince is a very young man," Neldor replied. He paused.

Aaron looked at the wizard.

"Zhoron’s motive, however, is greed. The bond that Zhoron has established is based on eagerness. However, the bond is weak. It should be easy to weaken it even more," Neldor said pensively.

"We need to find Lyaris soon, Master Neldor," Aaron said in a desperate voice.

"We will find him in time. I’ll send Zhoron astray," Neldor said with a smile. "I was just thinking of a plan. I’m confident that it will work out."

New hope filled Aaron’s heart. He smiled back at the wizard. Neldor gave the young man a reassuring nod.

Neldor turned the conversation to more mundane topics until Aaron yawned and wiped his eyes. Finally, they lay down to sleep. Neldor formed a small energy ball and sent it out to Zhoron. Then he closed his eyes and fell asleep instantly. The energy ball reached its goal in almost no time. Neldor had programmed it to connect with Zhoron’s personal energy pattern.

Zhoron sensed an extra heart beat when the energy ball hit him and released its message. Zhoron, however, had no suspicions. He ascribed his brief uneasy feeling to his exhaustion because of the long ride.

~~**~~

 

2012 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..