Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aglanthol 4 - Tyrnae (Journey to the Otherworld) - 4. Chapter 4

Zhoron was in his chamber, packing his things. The soldiers that the king had sent out in search for Prince Lyaris had returned a short time ago. They had found no trace of the prince. They had not even found hoof prints of his horse. The counsellors had advised to send out more soldiers and also trained scouts. One man had advised to summon the old wizard Neldor. But Zhoron had urged the king to reject the request. He had convinced the king that the discarded magician would be of no help. He, Zhoron, himself would set out and look for the prince. The king had announced his decision to his counsellors. The announcement had instantly caused a stir. Zhoron knew that he had to find a trace of the prince soon in order to calm down the king and his men. Zhoron left his chamber and went to the royal stables. Curious eyes looked after him.

Master Haryk stood in the yard and watched the new magician walk to the stables. Zhoron walked upright. He looked confident and self-assured. The new magician looked determined and focused. Master Haryk found that the man was far too self-assured. And he found that there was something dark and shady about Zhoron. The wizard Neldor had asked him to spy on the new magician. The request had confirmed Master Haryk’s suspicions.

Zhoron left the stable on horseback. He rode a black stallion that looked fiery and wild. It was about noon when Zhoron rode out of the yard. Master Haryk looked after him. He made a gesture with his hand. A grim looking man mounted his horse and rode out of the yard as well. Master Haryk had built up a network in the previous decades. His henchmen were reliable and they worked fast and well.

~~**~~

Aaron had spent the morning in his chamber. Like Neldor hat told him, he had been wary and cautious. Aaron was pondering on how to explain his absence to his parents. He could barely tell them that he would set out in search of the prince.

Aaron thought of Lyaris. They were the same age. They had been friends from childhood on. Aaron’s father was a noble man and his mother was related to the queen. He and Lyaris had had the same teachers. They had spent their spare time together. He and the prince were almost cousins. And they had felt like almost brothers.

Aaron stopped within the movement. He held a ruby velvet vest in his hand that he had been about to put in his bag. Aaron looked at the vest. Lyaris had given it to him as a birthday present two months ago when they had still been friends. Aaron felt a lump in his throat. That day he had confided to Lyaris that he loved him more than just a brother. Lyaris had been confused. He had not understood. Aaron had placed his arm around Lyaris’ shoulders and had placed a kiss on his cheek. Lyaris had not moved and this had encouraged Aaron. He had placed a soft kiss on Lyaris’ lips. Lyaris’ body had stiffened and Aaron had instantly known that he had made a big mistake.

He had withdrawn from Lyaris, feeling awkward and with his cheeks blushed. Lyaris had not said a word. He had avoided Aaron’s eyes and had found an excuse to leave instantly. Aaron had felt hollow and empty. His world had fallen to pieces in only an instant. He realized that his hopes were in vain. Aaron’s heart broke that very instant. He fell sick and was confined to the bed for a week. And then nothing had ever been the same.

Aaron took the velvet vest and turned to a wooden chest. He was about to put it in the chest, but something stopped him from doing so. Aaron was not able to say what made him hesitate, a vague feeling of fondness maybe. He turned around and put the vest in his bag. And then he swallowed. Things had never been the same.

While he had been ill, Lyaris had become friends with Zhoron. He had befriended a man who was more than twenty years older than he was. Aaron had not understood. He had tried to reconnect with the prince. But every time he spoke to Lyaris, the prince was reserved and Zhoron suddenly, like out of nowhere, showed up and joined the young men. The magician always found an excuse to send Aaron away. Every time Aaron found a way to speak to the prince, Zhoron showed up and told him the prince’s extra lessons were just about to begin. Lyaris had never intervened or objected. And finally Aaron had accepted the truth. Lyaris had turned to the new magician in order to protect himself from Aaron’s unwanted approaches. It had hurt Aaron to the core.

Aaron had given up on his efforts to reconnect with the prince. On the rare occasions they met, Lyaris told him that he now studied the ancient language of Aglanthol. Lyaris had not asked Aaron to join him in class. The prince had banned his former friend from his company. He had stopped their secret research and investigations and had turned to Zhoron instead.

Lyaris had not only banned him from his heart and his company, he had also taken from Aaron what had inspired his dreams. This insight hurt Aaron deeply.

Aaron felt reduced and worthless. He had become reclusive and solitary. This, however, had not gone unnoticed. His parents became worried. They made plans to send Aaron to his uncle for some time. The man had a mansion and a large estate in the west of the country. He had three sons who were about the same age of Aaron. Aaron’s parents found that their company would raise their son’s spirit again. Aaron had objected to the idea. His parents, however, had not yet given up on it.

A smile spread on Aaron’s lips. His thoughts had revealed the perfect excuse to him. Aaron hurried out of his room and hastened to see his father. He found him in the parlour. He was talking to his wife. His parents looked at their son in bewilderment when he rushed into the room.

"How about I travel to Uncle Garrik soon?" Aaron blurted out.

His parents exchanged a bewildered look.

"What made you change your mind?" his father asked with surprise.

"I just find that it is all so depressing," Aaron replied.

His cheeks blushed. His mother gave him a worried look.

"Don’t you want to wait until the prince has returned?" his father asked in a reproachful voice. "After all, you are best friends, aren’t you?"

Aaron’s cheeks blushed even more. His mother intervened.

"They were best friends," she said to her husband softly.

Aaron’s mother was an empathetic woman. She always knew more than she revealed. She was aware that Aaron was heart-sick, but she kept silent to not embarrass her son. Aaron’s father looked between his wife and his son. Then he nodded slowly. He had always been proud that his son was raised with the prince. He compressed his lips and narrowed his eyes for a moment. His wife placed her hand on her husband’s arm.

"That’s why I suggested we send Aaron away for a while. It would help him to distract his thoughts and get over the humiliation," she said.

Aaron’s father gave a brief nod.

"Etiquette, nonetheless, requires we wait until the prince returns or we have heard from him," he replied.

"Certainly," Aaron’s mother said. "I heard Zhoron, the new magician, rode out in order to find a trace of the prince."

"He ought to be back soon," Aaron’s father said with a nod. "He rode out at noon and wanted to return in the evening. He was certain his magical skills would help him to find a trace of the prince."

"We can only hope that nothing happened to Lyaris. I would be happy to hear that he just set out for a brief trip," his wife replied.

Aaron’s father gave another nod. He turned to his son.

"Etiquette requires we wait, Aaron. But then you will be travelling to your uncle and you will stay there for the winter. You will resume your studies in spring. I’ll write another letter to my brother Garrik. He answered my last letter positively. He invited you to his house. You could also study with your cousins. I’d prefer you did so in order to not come across exclusive and haughty," he said.

Aaron nodded slowly. He was feeling nervous. What would his parents do if they found out that he had disappeared also? Aaron felt bad. Perhaps he could visit his uncle after he and Neldor had found and rescued the prince. His thoughts prevented him from giving a reply to his father. His mother intervened again.

"Is this fine with you, Aaron?" she asked softly.

Aaron looked up and looked between his parents. He recalled his father’s words.

"Yes, I will be studying with my cousins. I look forward to my stay there. But I will delay my departure like etiquette requires," he said in a firm voice.

His father gave him a nod and a smile. Then he excused himself in order to go to the royal hall. Aaron’s mother placed her arm around her son’s shoulders.

"I’m happy you do not object to the idea any longer, Aaron. You will be back in spring with new heart," she said softly. She gave Aaron an almost impish look. "I’m certain Lyaris will return soon. I have a feeling he left in order to find new heart also."

Aaron gaped at his mother. She always saw through things. Aaron did not understand how she did it. She took him by surprise again and again.

"Yes, this might be the reason why he has disappeared," he said slowly. "But I have a feeling that the new magician had a hand in it. He was at Lyaris’ side always. I have a feeling he encouraged him to leave."

His mother nodded slowly.

"I agree, Aaron," she replied. "Lyaris has changed considerably in a short period of time. Someone had an influence on him. Perhaps it was this man."

She smiled at Aaron.

"I don’t want you to travel alone, Aaron. Go and ask around if somebody travels west soon. Ask if you can join them," she said with a slightly worried expression on her face.

Aaron nodded and gave his mother a smile. Things worked out just fine. His mother wanted him to travel in company. Now he could openly travel with the old wizard. His parents would not object to it.

Aaron squeezed his mother’s arm and smiled. Then he hurried out of the room. His mother looked after him. The sudden change of her son’s behaviour bewildered her. She had a feeling that Aaron kept a secret from her. Did her son want to leave in order to look for Lyaris? She would insist on him travelling in company.

Aaron hurried back to his chamber and resumed packing his things. When he had finished, he hastened towards Neldor’s tower. He felt the need speak to the wizard at once.

~~**~~

 

 

 

2012 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..