Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aglanthol 4 - Tyrnae (Journey to the Otherworld) - 5. Chapter 5

Like he had said, Zhoron returned in the evening. He walked triumphantly into the main hall where the king and the counsellors already waited for him. Zhoron pulled a piece of paper from his pocket. He handed it to the king.

"My lord, the soldiers had ridden west, following the main road. But I rode east and I discovered hoof prints and I followed them. I spotted a place that looked as if someone had rested there. I scanned the place with my sixth sense. I sensed the prince’s energy. I found this piece of paper in the dust. The prince probably dropped it there," he said in a self-assured voice.

The king unfolded the paper and looked at it. Then he handed it to the man who stood on the right of him. The man looked at it and passed it on. Finally, all the counsellors had cast a look at it.

"The paper shows a map that the prince has drawn. He put down the names of towns and villages. It is the prince’s hand-writing, isn’t it?" Zhoron asked in a firm voice.

The king and the counsellors nodded. A few of them looked at the map again.

"The map shows a route to the biggest seaport in the east. I suspect that Prince Lyaris set out to this town," Zhoron said.

"Why would he want to travel to Oldea?" the king asked in a bewildered voice.

"He was fascinated by the town," Zhoron said. "A few weeks ago, we talked about the history of the place. It was mentioned in an historical report that was written in the ancient language. The prince studies the ancient language of Aglanthol."

The king and his counsellors exchanged a confused look.

"I do not understand. Why Oldea?" the king asked again.

"The big vessels, my lord. I can only imagine the prince wants to see them. As far as I have understood, he has never been to the coast. He has never seen the sea nor has he seen the big vessels. Young men are fascinated by the unknown," Zhoron said.

The king and the counsellors looked at each other. A few men spoke up and supported Zhoron’s idea. The librarian said that the prince had asked for books on nautical science a few weeks ago. He said that he had handed five books to the prince. Among them had been one that covered the history of the big seaport Oldea. The king leaned back with a sigh at the librarian’s revelations. He wiped his forehead.

"My son is a foolish young man," he said in a resigned voice. "Why did he steal away? I would have given him permission to visit the seaport, if he had asked me. Why should I have objected to the idea?"

"It is far more interesting for a young man to do things in secrecy," the man right next to the king said. He gave the king a wink. "Think of our secret journey to the mountains," he said with an impish smile.

The man was the king’s cousin and therefore dared to speak openly. The king looked at him and then shrugged his shoulders resignedly. He made a gesture with his hand.

"A group of soldiers shall set out at dawn tomorrow and find the prince and take him home," he said.

"Wait," Zhoron intervened.

The king and his counsellors looked at him in bewilderment.

"Don’t you think this would humiliate Prince Lyaris, my lord? How about I set out and ride to Oldea? I’ll bring him back home. He’ll come back with his teacher and not in company of royal soldiers. Do you want him to feel like a captive, my lord?" Zhoron asked. His voice sounded as if he was shaken by the king’s command.

The king and his counsellors gazed at Zhoron, struggling to understand Zhoron’s thoughts. The king’s cousin finally cleared his throat.

"He is right, my lord. I would have never forgiven my father if soldiers had led me back to the court," he said.

The king looked at his cousin.

"In fact," he said, thinking of their secret adventure in the past. "In fact," he repeated. "It would have been a disgrace."

The king straightened.

"Zhoron shall set out at dawn tomorrow and find Prince Lyaris," he said in an imperative voice.

He turned to the magician.

"Find him and take him back home. Take one of my horses. They are fast and persevering," he said.

"As you wish, my lord," Zhoron said in a grave voice.

He bowed to the king and then left the main hall. Everything went according to plan. Zhoron felt pleased, almost ecstatic. Adrenaline flushed his body. One more night, and then he would set out and join the prince. And then Lyaris would open the magical gate for him.

Master Haryk watched Zhoron leave. He had remained in the background and had observed the magician. He had felt the urge to speak up and reveal the truth to the king. This, however, would have only warned the magician. Master Haryk’s henchman had followed Zhoron furtively. The magician had not noticed the man. Haryk’s henchman had reported that Zhoron had ridden east for an hour. Then he had sat down on the ground under a tree. He had spent two hours reading a book. The magician had not investigated the place, nor had he investigated any other. After two hours, Zhoron had mounted his horse and had ridden back to the royal court. Haryk interrogated the man again after Zhoron had left the royal hall. The man swore to him that Zhoron had not picked up a piece of paper in the place.

~~**~~

"He took the piece of paper with him. It was written by the prince before he had left. Zhoron presented the paper to the king. The map convinced the king and his counsellors. However, it was a lie. It is deception. The man is a fraud," Master Haryk concluded his agitated report to the old wizard.

Neldor rubbed his chin.

"Like I have suspected," he said slowly. "One question remains, though. Does he cover up the prince or is he his accomplice?" he asked thoughtfully.

"Master Neldor," Haryk said in an indignant voice. "I rather think Prince Lyaris is that devil’s victim. Zhoron sent him somewhere for whatever reason. The prince, naive and inspired by whatever, did what the villain told him to do."

Neldor nodded.

"I agree with you, Master Haryk," he said pensively. "And I think I know where he sent him to and why."

"What?" Haryk exclaimed. "Speak up, Master Neldor. You need to talk to the king."

Neldor shook his head.

"This would only warn Zhoron. And it would endanger the prince. I suspect Zhoron established an energy bond between him and the prince. He established one between him and the king also, by the way, I think. This is why father and son have fallen for the man. They do whatever he wants them to do. Unveiling Zhoron’s plans to the king would not have any effect, Master Haryk. Zhoron is manipulating him and the prince," Neldor explained.

He rose to his feet.

"So what can we do?" Haryk exclaimed.

"I will follow Zhoron," Neldor said. "He will lead me to Prince Lyaris. As soon as the time is right, I will cut the evil bond."

Master Haryk gazed at Neldor.

"You will follow him?" he asked in almost disbelief.

"Don’t you think me capable of doing so?" Neldor asked grumpily.

Master Haryk shook his head quickly. A knock at the door distracted him. The door opened and Aaron looked into the room. He stopped short at the sight of Master Haryk.

Neldor made a gesture with his hand. He led Master Haryk to the door.

"Should I observe anything important, I will let you know at once," Haryk said in a low voice.

Neldor nodded.

"Find out when exactly he plans to leave," he replied in a low voice also.

Haryk gave Neldor a conspiratorial nod, and then he hastened down the stairs of the tower.

Neldor closed the door and turned to Aaron.

"Are you ready, Aaron? We will be leaving tomorrow at dawn," he said.

Aaron’s eyes widened.

"So soon? You need to talk with my parents at once. They want me to travel in company only," he said.

"By a happy coincidence, I will be leaving tomorrow for the Western Mountains," Neldor said drily. "You can come with me, Aaron, provided your parents don’t fear the company of a weird wizard and an old man."

Aaron shook his head.

"I don’t think so. Are we really travelling west? I heard that Lyaris travelled east," he said.

"Nonsense," Neldor hissed. "I can barely believe the king and his counsellors believed this crap."

He walked to the door.

"Come, Aaron, I’ll be talking to your father now. And then I need to start packing."

Neldor descended the stairs of the tower and Aaron followed him quickly. Aaron’s parents were surprised to see the wizard Neldor. Like many of the people living at court, they feared yet also respected the man.

"I asked Aaron to ask around. So he asked you as well, Master Neldor?" Aaron’s mother started.

Neldor nodded.

"I’ll be leaving for the Western Mountains tomorrow. I’ll cross the area where Aaron’s relatives live. I’ll take him there. It would not be much of a detour," he said.

He scanned the energy of the house and the energy of Aaron’s parents with his sixth sense, and then Neldor decided he would not betray Aaron’s parents. He would take Aaron to his uncle’s place, either before or after he had found and released the prince from Zhoron’s spell.

They continued talking for a while. Then Neldor rose to his feet and left.

"He is said to be weird and very grumpy. But I thought he was quite sociable," Aaron’s father said with surprise.

"I think Aaron is safe with him," his wife said. She had not felt anything negative about the old man.

She turned to Aaron and smiled.

"Just do not annoy him, Aaron. He is said to be reclusive and solitary. He is said to not like the company of others. And people say he can fly into a rage," she said.

"I think I will like his company," Aaron replied, smiling back at his mother.

Aaron rushed out of the room and hurried to his chamber in order to check his bags again. His parents looked at each other in bewilderment.

"He’s almost overly excited," Aaron’s father said, shaking his head in confusion.

"He was bitter and depressed for months. I feel relieved to see him happy again," his wife said. "The change of scenery will do him good. He’ll find new heart, I’m sure."

Aaron’s father smiled at his wife and placed his arm around her shoulders.

~~**~~

 

2012 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..