Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aglanthol 4 - Tyrnae (Journey to the Otherworld) - 3. Chapter 3

Aaron came back the following morning. Neldor invited him to sit down.

"How are you feeling, Aaron?" he asked.

"I’m fine," Aaron said briefly. He leaned forward and looked at the wizard. "Master Neldor, tell me, what have you found out?"

"Aeons ago...," Neldor started. "Aeons ago, only primitive tribes inhabited the land. The legend says that on a cold autumn evening the secret gate opened wide. It was the night of Samuin. Twelve mighty and powerful magicians passed the gate. They came from the land of Tyrnae. They came to bring their wisdom and knowledge to the human world. This is how this country’s history began."

Neldor paused for a moment. Aaron’s eyes rested on him.

"The magicians founded a secret castle. It was the centre of magic from that day on. The realm of Aglanthol was founded many centuries later. This is when official history began and historical events were recorded," he said.

Aaron nodded. He was curious. His eyes were fixed on the wizard’s face.

"These books are written in the Aglanthol language. There are many of them in the king’s library. They go back to the battle of the wizards Norlorn and Khaalindaan," Aaron said.

Neldor nodded slowly.

"This battle took place a thousand years ago. Part of the story is considered legend, but part of the story is recorded history. However, there are older books that tell of events that happened before this battle. These books are written in the ancient language and these books are rare to find," he said.

"Lyaris and I found a few of them in the king’s library," Aaron replied.

"There are more of them. They are kept in a secret place," Neldor said, pointing at the book on his table. "This book is one of these ancient books. I inherited it from my master. The magicians still have many of them."

Aaron gazed at Neldor.

"So there are still men who hold the ancient secrets?" he asked in awe.

Neldor nodded. His eyes rested on the young man’s face.

"Certainly," he said with a smile. "The ancient magicians passed them on. These secrets were passed on to our day. The ancient magicians came from Tyrnae. And like you said, a gate leads to the land. However, the gate is closed usually. It only opens on rare occasions and it does not open to everyone. Only the chosen ones may enter the land of Tyrnae. And even the chosen ones must leave it again."

"Why are they allowed to enter it and why must they leave it again?" Aaron asked curiously.

"Because Tyrnae is a magical land. It resembles our world at first sight. But it is different from our world. It is the otherworld," Neldor said in a sober voice.

Neldor paused for a moment. The wizard thought of his journey to the Western Mountains where the brethren had changed the material world. Neldor looked at Aaron gravely.

"The holy rules and laws are valid everywhere. They are written down in the book of time and these laws cannot be shaken. Think of the law of cause and effect, for instance. You see it at work everywhere, don’t you?" Neldor asked.

Aaron nodded eagerly.

"You know how this law works. You can calculate effects, can’t you?" Neldor asked.

Aaron gave another nod.

"However, you only know how the law works in the human world. It does not necessarily work the same way in another world, although it is valid there also," Neldor said with a serious look.

Aaron shifted in his chair. He looked at the wizard in confusion.

"Just an example. Please, rise to your feet and start a fire in the fireplace," Neldor said.

Aaron looked even more confused, but he did what the wizard had told him. He fumbled with wood chips and the lighter, and then he took the poker. After a few minutes, the fire burned well.

"Put the fire out," Neldor said.

Aaron looked utterly puzzled, but again he did what the wizard had told him. He turned to Neldor when the fire was out.

"Now, look," Neldor said.

He snapped his fingers and then pointed at the fireplace. The fire burnt well and high. Aaron looked between the wizard and the fire. Neldor snapped his fingers again. The fire went out at once. Aaron just stood and gaped at the wizard. Neldor smiled at him.

"Sit down," he said.

Aaron sat down and gazed at Neldor.

"You started the fire, following the rules of this world. I started it, following the rules of magic. What did you observe?" Neldor asked.

"It took me minutes to start the fire, while you started it in only a second...with a snap," Aaron said slowly.

He looked at the wizard. His eyes showed a mixture of excitement and fear. Neldor smiled.

"This is magic, Aaron," he said. "A very simple magic, in fact. However, I was faster than you were, wasn’t I?"

Aaron nodded slowly. Neldor leaned forward.

"Now imagine a world where everything happens much faster than you are used to. It’s hard to imagine, isn’t it?" he asked.

Aaron nodded again.

"Tyrnae is a magical world. You can’t approach things there like you are used to approach them here. Do you know how the laws work in the otherworld? Do you know how the rules work in Tyrnae? Would you know exactly what to do if you entered the otherworld?" Neldor asked.

Aaron shook his head. He looked at Neldor pensively.

"Do the chosen ones know what to do?" he asked finally.

Neldor nodded.

"The chosen ones know what to do. They are not summoned to visit Tyrnae in order to learn about magic. Magical understanding and skills are a necessary requirement. They are summoned there to receive something that they are supposed to bring into the human world, like the mighty magicians did in the early times," he said gravely.

Aaron swallowed.

"Lyaris is not a magician. How can he believe he can enter Tyrnae?" he asked under his breath.

"A chosen one is preferably born on the day of Samuin. His energy then relates to the world of Tyrnae. However, this is not a necessary criterion, Aaron. The magical skills and the visitor’s motives are far more relevant. It is said that many have looked for the gate, but only few have found it. Those who entered Tyrnae came back with a mission. They completed it, yet kept it secret. How did Lyaris come to believe that he was able to find the gate?" Neldor asked.

Aaron shrugged.

"Zhoron must have told him lies," he replied. "He made him go, perhaps to get rid of him?"

"I was thinking the same for a while," Neldor said slowly, rubbing his chin.

"What are you thinking now, Master Neldor?" Aaron asked worriedly.

Neldor looked at Aaron.

"I suspect Zhoron wants to enter Tyrnae himself. Perhaps he hopes Lyaris will find the gate. He was born on the day of Samuin. So he might felt drawn to it," Neldor mused.

"Can’t the magician find the gate on his own?" Aaron asked.

"Perhaps he can’t. Lyaris is his advance guard perhaps," Neldor said.

Aaron rose to his feet.

"Master Neldor," he exclaimed. "You are saying Zhoron made Lyaris set out for Tyrnae in order to find the gate and find out about the passage. He’ll sacrifice Lyaris. Lyaris could very well die."

Aaron hurried to the door. Neldor jumped to his feet.

"Wait, Aaron," he said in an urgent voice.

"No," Aaron called out. "I must follow Lyaris and I must find him soon and in time."

Neldor placed his hand on Aaron’s shoulder. Aaron shook it off.

"Wait," Neldor said urgently. "We must not warn Zhoron. I suspect the man will soon leave the royal court in order to meet up with Lyaris. We must wait until then."

Aaron was breathing heavily. However, he made a step back from the door. He turned to the wizard.

"You are right, Master Neldor," he said. "So what are we supposed to do? Will you come with me?"

Neldor looked at the young man, becoming aware of what he had just said. Had fate summoned him again? Zhoron’s face came to Neldor’s mind. Neldor compressed his lips. He had never trusted the man.

"Why are you looking so grimly?" Aaron asked desperately.

Neldor turned his eyes to him.

"Just a thought that occurred to me," he said with a dismissive gesture of his hand. "I’m getting prepared, Aaron. Get prepared also. Send Master Haryk to me. He must come here at once. He must spy on Zhoron. As soon as the adept leaves, we will be leaving as well."

"The adept?" Aaron asked.

"The intruder, the trespasser, the gatecrasher," Neldor hissed grimly.

Aaron looked at the agitated old man. A smile spread on his lips and his eyes sparkled with excitement. The old wizard impressed him greatly.

"I’ll send Master Haryk to you," he said cheerfully.

Neldor gave him a brief nod. Aaron opened the door and hurried down the stairs of the tower. He felt no need to receive a mission in Tyrnae. He had a mission already. He wanted to find Prince Lyaris.

~~**~~

 

2012 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..