Jump to content
    drown
  • Author
  • 2,686 Words
  • 2,317 Views
  • 32 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story has elements of violence, sex, and strong language. 18+

Oregon in the Fall - 19. Chapter Nineteen: Solstice

The rising sun painted a thin line on the horizon, long shadows stretching across the land. I woke, snuggled against Dave. His steady breaths and soft, sunlit fur lulled me from my sleep. I nestled my snout under his head, feeling his heartbeat quicken against my cheek—his cue that he was waking too.

‘Hey you. Good morning,’ I thought to him through our bond.

‘I could wake up like this forever. You’re so soft,’ Dave replied.

‘Me too.’

He pulled back, gazing at me. ‘Can I watch you shift? Like… really slow?’

wants to watch us.

‘Yeah, sure?’ Alright then.

I eased myself away, sitting up just a few feet from him, our eyes locked. Shifting had always been a rush of power, something to be done quickly. But for Dave, I’d make it a slow reveal. Like a striptease. Actually, no. Not like that. Ugh.

He watched, captivated, as I stretched what would turn into my right arm toward him. My paw began to morph, toes lengthening, becoming slender fingers tipped with nails. My fur retreated as my dewclaw became a thumb.

Clara let out a soft gasp, drawing my attention, but my focus remained on Dave. He tilted his head, a playful glint in his eyes. I chuckled.

My legs were next, shifting simultaneously as I rose to my feet. My powerful wolf legs contoured, revealing muscular human ones, still dappled with black fur. Four wolf toes transformed, a big toe sprouting where there had been none.

The rest followed. My torso, then my head—though I did keep my canines. Now fully human, save for a bit of stubble and the hair on my head and… elsewhere, I waited. My fur receded slowly, revealing my bare skin. A grin split my face as I retracted my teeth.

“That… was… amazing!” Clara exclaimed, clapping. “Dave, your turn!”

I laughed, gesturing for him to do the same. ‘Just let your wolf guide you,’ I sent to him.

He also started with his arms, and while not as smooth as my own shift, he managed to transform three toes on each paw. He flailed a bit, trying to will the last ones into place. I bit back a smile. It was so cute.

‘Just relax, buddy,’ I sent through our bond. ‘Let your wolf do the heavy lifting.’

He gave a shaky nod, a look of intense concentration furrowing his half-wolf brow. Somehow, his remaining toes sprouted into fingers, ending in surprisingly perfect nails. But just as he let out a grunt of satisfaction, the lingering dewclaws began to twitch. They quivered, then with an odd pop, receded into his skin, leaving behind slightly hairy thumbs.

Dave blinked, then started to howl with a laugh, even with his furry muzzle still in place. The sound was muffled, more of a series of squeaking whoops, but it was undeniably joyful.

Clara, ever the spectator, let out a delighted squeal.

Buoyed by his partial success, Dave moved on to his legs. This proved significantly more challenging. Fur receded, his powerful wolf thighs morphing into equally muscular human ones. But as the transformation reached his knees, things took a chaotic turn. Each leg seemed intent on taking a different path—one human, one decidedly lupine. He started to wobble like a drunken sailor, his balance completely thrown off.

With a startled yelp, he did a spectacular face-plant, his nose digging into the dirt with a soft thump. Half wolf, half human, and entirely mortified, he let out a muffled groan.

I burst into laughter, unable to contain it any longer. Clara joined in, breathless giggles echoing between the trees.

Dave lifted his head, a mix of embarrassment and sheepish amusement on his dirt-smudged face. Just as he was about to attempt to stand, a particularly stubborn patch of fur on his calf shifted to skin with an audible squelch, sending him sprawling again.

This time, even he couldn’t help but howl with laughter, the sound a mix of human chuckles and wolf-like barks.

“Okay, okay,” he gasped, “I think I might need a little help with the rest of this.”

A wave of warmth washed over me. I reached out, a silent pulse of energy, encouraging the last remnants of wolf to shift away. With a final shudder, he was almost fully human—just a few patches of fur clinging stubbornly to his skin.

“Well, at least I got the hard part out of the way,” he said, dusting himself off with a satisfied grin. As if on cue, an enormous sneeze ripped through him. The force of it was distinctly lupine, and I braced myself for the inevitable mayhem. His half-shifted face contorted hilariously. His snout twitched, whiskers sprouting wildly, then just as quickly, morphed into a very human nose.

The sneeze exploded forth in a spray of dirt and fur, leaving Dave blinking in surprise.

“Well,” he coughed, wiping tears of laughter from his eyes, “I guess I didn’t think that one through.”

I doubled over, roaring with laughter. Even Clara, usually so composed, was clutching her sides and gasping for air.

Dave just grinned. Eventually, Clara threw clothes at us. “Use the ones from last night, we don’t have an unlimited supply, guys. And put them on. I think Chronos is gay, don’t give him ideas.”

“I think he mentioned having a mate, Clara,” I said.

“That doesn’t mean he won’t be distracted by you guys. I tried all I could. He’s gay.”

“I don’t adhere to such concepts,” Chronos said, approaching from the forest.

“Where have you been?” Dave asked him.

“I was just wandering. This forest of yours is very intriguing. Intricate. The forests in the Seventh Construct are so much simpler. And I wonder why that is. Maybe our control over things is not good after all. Letting nature run wild has its allure.”

“I think you said you created… this,” I said, motioning to the everywhere around us.

“Not me specifically, but yes.”

“Then how do you not control it?”

“Do you control a… pet of yours? You nourish, you guide, you love, but you do not control.”

That oddly made sense. Though I wasn’t sure I was too happy about being compared to a pet.

“Let’s go!” Clara said.

Fully clothed—Dave and me wearing golden and blue ‘The Lunar Haven’ shirts because that was our thing—we started on our journey. Conversation snaked through the quiet like a creek searching its path. Chronos, never one for silence, brought up the ever-present divide between supernaturals and humans.

“You linger in the shadows,” his voice held a note of mild disdain, “hiding from those you should rightfully watch over.”

“Who do you mean by you?” Clara said.

“Those who are not just merely human. Superhumans. Supernaturals.”

She huffed. “It’s hardly a choice. It’s survival, Chronos. Tell a human about druids, shamans, warlocks, shifters, and fey, and you’ll find yourself dissected in a lab or hunted like an animal.” She paused. “Besides, humans already believe in so much nonsense, adding us to the pile changes nothing.”

Chronos tilted his head, a birdlike motion. “You don’t understand your purpose.”

“We have… a purpose?”

“Humans are abundant. It is your destiny to keep them in check.”

Destiny?”

The hint hung heavy in the air, and something like unease prickled along my spine. I pushed the feeling away and asked the question that had haunted me since Chronos’ cryptic explanations: “Why am I here then? Why Wepwawet?”

His gaze settled on me, ancient and unsettling. “The gods,” he began, “have been absent from this reality for far too long. The Constructs deemed it necessary to send one, to send you… and with you came a shift.”

Questions bubbled up, a torrent against his steady flow of words. We were all listening intently, our feet slowing to a soft walk.

“Realities,” Chronos continued, “this one, the Prime, is the core. If it falters, everything does. You supernaturals were meant to be the guiding force. Instead, you fractured.” A sigh, almost wistful. “So we decided to try and fix it. Inject an influence so to speak. That is you, god who calls himself Grey. But…” His thought seemed to drift away, the pause so very much unlike him.

“But we hadn’t accounted for the tether Wepwawet would hold to our realm. So along came Theodore, a megalomaniac drawn to the ripple you sent across the Constructs’ power. He found a tether, a weakness…”

“Wait. You… gave me this god’s power, knowing that doing so would open the gate between your realm and this… the Prime? Is that what you called it? And you didn’t account for there to be a gate? Wasn’t that the whole point?”

Chronos chuckled, the sound unsettlingly dry. “I misspoke. Which is very much unlike me. We didn’t account for someone powerful enough to use the open path to sow chaos. Theodore did. So our plan changed…” His finger swept across the sky. “All of us… we needed another answer. So instead of one, we now have three. The Triad. Wepwawet and Aten, as you walk beside me right now. You answered the call. But Osiris is missing, which is unfortunate. He must be found.”

“And we can find him, right?” Dave said.

“We shall see.”

Clara scoffed. “Great, and what does that have to do with me?”

“Patience, human,” Chronos’ voice was sharp, “all shall be revealed.”

The conversation swirled in my head. Fate, a cruel puppet master. If not for Theodore’s meddling, Dave and I wouldn’t even know each other. So I had to thank Theodore for that? Great. This flicker of gratitude for the chaos he sowed morphed into something sharp in my chest.

The topic shifted, thankfully, towards my pack.

“Grey,” Dave began, “you’ve… talked about your family a bit, but not a whole lot.”

The truth was a knot in my gut. “Things are complicated,” I hedged. “Now I know it might not be my family’s fault entirely. I can’t blame my brother either, I think. He was always so jealous of me, but none of their emotions and actions might be what I thought they were. Maybe instead, all the blame should fall on Chronos and his cronies?” There was bitterness in my voice.

Chronos didn’t respond.

“There will be conflict,” I warned. As the future Alpha, leaving my pack was an unforgivable betrayal. And now with a mate… When we arrive, my father won’t be happy.”

Dave’s ears twitched in surprise. “Wait… what do you mean?”

A deep breath. No getting around it now.

“Dave, we’re now the leaders of a werewolf pack. The law wills it so.”

“Well, damn,” he said, scratching his head. “Wasn’t expecting that this morning.”

Clara, ever the pragmatist, chimed in. “So, are we all getting a crash course on pack politics, or…?”

“It’s all pretty simple, really. There’s the Alpha and everyone listens to them. Then the firstborn son—usually not the daughter, because… misogyny—is designated Moon Heir, and they will take over the reigns one day. When they are mated,” I said.

“You couldn’t have mentioned this before, Grey? No one asked me,” Dave said.

That hurt, but he was right… “You were dying, Dave. It was the only way to save you.” This was true. It was all that was on my mind at the time.

He hung his head dejectedly. “I know. I’m sorry.”

“They will not be happy that I’m back. I broke the rules by leaving. But they will be furious when they find out that I’m mated to a guy.”

“Ah, bigots. Great,” Clara said.

“Humanity would greatly benefit from less focus on irrelevant matters,” Chronos said.

“Yup,” I simply said. “But since we need to go my pack to see this journey through, can we agree on a few things?”

“Elaborate.”

“No constructy things, Chronos. Please blend in. And Clara, please keep the druid to yourself. These people are narrow-minded and tainted. When they smell mine and Dave’s scent, I bet all hell is going to break loose anyway.”

There was no preparing for… well, for any of this. Hours turned into a steady rhythm, sun climbing higher. My own wolf ached with a mix of exhaustion and anticipation, every familiar scent a trigger for memories, both good and unbearably painful. Yet, a new thread of determination ran through me. I was a different wolf now.

wolf.

You think?

us and mate. law.

Yeah.

I broke our silence. “I think it would be best if Dave and me walked in front. As wolves. Keep a slight distance please. Wolf law is clear. Even my father won’t deny it.”

Dave seemed nervous. “Really? I’m going to meet other wolves. I’m not… what do I do? I’m insignificant.”

Insignificant? He had no idea.

“Stand beside me. You’ll see.”

We shifted. Quickly. I’m sure Dave didn’t want a repeat of the earlier struggles. Chronos offered to carry our backpacks.

The forest thinned, revealing the familiar sweep of Belcore territory. I felt an unwelcome wave of nausea. Ugh. Keep it together, Grey. We approached cautiously, the silence broken only by the soft rustle of leaves underfoot. There were no patrols in sight, which was unsettling and unexpected.

Then, there he was. My brother. Sebastian. Tall but not imposing, he stood at the tree line, his gaze locked on mine. There was shock, yes, but it quickly curdled into something sharper, an anger I knew all too well.

“Brother,” his voice echoed, disbelief lacing the word. “What the fuck?”

Being able to compare myself now to Sebastian, I think I stood taller than I had just a week ago. Was this Dave? Was our bond affecting me? Sebastian clearly seemed to notice the difference. And he had to have picked up on the scent.

His eyes narrowed. “How the fuck did you grow?” he hissed, taking a predatory step forward. “And what is this… stench?” His nostrils flared, taking in the mingled scent of Dave and me. The disgust was clear in his growl.

“Ugh. You’re mated to a guy. You’re a disgrace.”

Then, the trees behind Sebastian parted. My father and mother emerged together, flanked by two large unfamiliar wolves. They looked apprehensive, my father’s rule of terror visible on them. I knew it all too well.

“Sebastian,” my father roared, the sound echoing through the trees. “Stand down.” He ducked slightly, deferring to this Alpha with fear. So much fear in his eyes.

Reluctantly, Sebastian backed away, but his glare remained fixed on us, burning with contempt.

My father’s gaze swept over our wolves. It lingered first on me, then slowly, almost hesitantly, moved to Dave. His brow furrowed in confusion.

“What is the meaning of this?” he boomed, his voice filled with anger, and just a tiny bit of discomfort.

Before I could react, my mother stepped forward, a look of fierce determination on her face. There was a tension between her and my father, a silent exchange that spoke volumes.

“Look at them.” she said, her voice clear and resolute. She cast a meaningful glance at me and Dave, lingering on him, judging, probing.

‘You’re strong. Don’t let her get to you,’ I said to Dave, unspoken. He glanced over to me, just for a short moment, and nodded.

My mother noticed the exchange, eyes squinting. She seemed… better, more aware. Her mind was clearly racing. What did she see?

“You’re mated to a man. You make me sick…” my father said, his disdain clear as day, but he was interrupted by my mother who held her hand in front of his mouth. Her gaze never broke with ours.

“Luis. Shut the fuck up,” she said, her voice an authority. What was this dynamic? What the hell?

And then my mother, Luna Cassandra Belcore, magnificent and strong, with a clear gaze and bright eyes that I had never seen before, did something completely unexpected. This woman, who gave birth to me, but that I never felt tethered to, slowly got down on one knee, and bared her neck toward me. Toward us.

Author’s note: Meeting the pack again. What is going to happen? And what's up with Grey's mom?
Reactions, comments, feedback, are the reason I keep going. So please, gift me those. 💚 They mean so much.
Copyright © 2023–2024 drown. All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 33
  • Wow 7
Thank you so much for reading. This is my first story. Be kind but honest.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

This is a discussion topic for anyone who wants to converse, leave honest feedback, or just wonder and take part in the world of Oregon in the Fall—a story first and exclusively posted to GA starting in December 2023. Hey everyone :3 This story has been marinating in my head, with sprinkles here and there in various forms of text documents, revisions, and dreams. It was a mess. It took over a decade to finally push myself to assemble it together, rewrite some parts (over and over again) tha
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



drown

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Zuri said:

Clara at her best 😂

Unfortunately we were not able to bear witness to her trying her best, because Grey was off in the forest doing… things.

15 minutes ago, Zuri said:
Quote

Destiny?”

Yeah, essentially this: 😜

Oh what the… You're so gay XD

15 minutes ago, Zuri said:
40 minutes ago, akascrubber said:

But, his mother spoke sharply and bared her neck to Grey as a sign of submission. Why? She has to see something the others do not. She must see he is a higher being than her husband, the pack alpha. Let us hear in the next chapter why she showed submission. We know Grey and Dave are gods and have god like names that fit them. Will she speak their names?

Grey's mother acted in such an abnormal way in public that her husband and pack will be shocked. She will be asked to explain her behavior. I think she will be forthcoming . She can prevent a fight and potential  death or injury. She sees Grey as superior to her husband. Her second son recognized Grey had grown talller. His mother saw more.

Grey, kinda explained that before:

Quote

“Dave, we’re now the leaders of a werewolf pack. The law wills it so.”

His brother and father are so furious, they don't seem to have come to the realization that comes with “Ugh. You’re mated to a guy. […]”, even though Luis should be aware of pack politics—if not he, who would?

Your deduction is plausible, but you also don't know all of wolf law, @Zuri. You can challenge almost anything, even the Alpha status. Sebastian would never have done that before, he's weaker. Clearly weaker than his brother. And at some point in time (Ch 09), Grey asserted dominance over his father.

They might not like it, but Grey and Dave are here now.

If they were to challenge Grey and Dave (please stay tuned), knowing what we know, I doubt anyone in the pack would survive. If Luna has her marbles together, she might just be trying to defuse the situation before it gets to such a point. Or does she? Again, please also stay tuned.

15 minutes ago, Zuri said:
20 minutes ago, drown said:

She sure did, but she also surprised Grey. He had only been gone from the pack for a few days, but he was imprisoned before for trying to run. Who knows when they last saw each other.

Apparently, she's finally freed from her husband, at least as her leader as pack politics make her to submit to Grey and Dave instead, whether Luis likes that or not, as must he.

So many possibilities. As a reader I would wonder if she was truly happy with the way her other son and her husband treated her first-born son. She's a mother. Knowing what I know, it is hard to comment further XD

Just know, all my women are powerful, in more ways than one.

15 minutes ago, Zuri said:
Quote

He pulled back, gazing at me. ‘Can I watch you shift? Like… really slow?’

So, he has the same taste as Mark:

Quote

I slowly shifted back into human, dirt and leaves sticking to my skin, and intently kept my gaze on Mark. My body made the oddest sounds in the process, with bones rearranging, hair and fingernails retreating, and most of all the skin stretching and bending. It’s not like this was unfamiliar to Mark, but he particularly liked watching me shift, so I played the part.

You remembered :D 

Mark and Dave share similar tastes. And DNA.

There's a whole other subplot I'm leading towards so much, and no one is seeing it yet!!!

💚

Edited by drown
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Zuri said:
9 minutes ago, drown said:

Unfortunately we were not able to bear witness to her trying her best, because Grey was off in the forest doing… things.

Yeah, could you rewrite chapter 18 to only show Clara's perspective? 😜 So much more entertaining 😜 *playing with drown's insecurities off*

No. There will be no head hopping.

🙃

2 minutes ago, Zuri said:
10 minutes ago, drown said:

There's a whole other subplot I'm leading towards so much, and no one is seeing it yet!!!

8k9pl7.jpg

I think even with my short hiatus, I wrote and edited many many words in three months. Do you want me to die? 🥲

3 minutes ago, Zuri said:
11 minutes ago, drown said:

Your deduction is plausible, but you also don't know all of wolf law, @Zuri

Damn! Would have been too easy 😅

I think I would break character if things were easy to deduct!

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Zuri said:
12 minutes ago, drown said:

No. There will be no head hopping.

So, no retcons then? And I don't mean the Torchwood ones

I hope so! If they happen, it's because I forgot something about my own story XD

6 minutes ago, Zuri said:

No, no, stay with us. We need you to stay alive. Someone needs to publish the rest of the story 😜 Okay, okay, I admit, I don't only want you to stay alive because of your story. You are also a decent person apart from that 😉 Take your time. People enjoy being tortured by waiting, even though, they would never admit it 😉

Well… thanks I guess? :D 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Zuri

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, drown said:

I can write porn, but not comedy it seems XD

Why, then, do you think, you get so may "spacer.png" reactions to your comments? 😉

Edited by Zuri
  • Haha 1
  • Fingers Crossed 4
Link to comment
8 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Well, hell, I never saw that one coming.  His mother ended up bending her knee and neck; will his father follow suit?

🙂

8 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Chronos is finally getting to a few things that matter; but he never gets to the real heart of the matter.

He may simply not know.

If you house an aquarium, you don't know what's going to happen to all the fish in there. Just because you created a living environment, doesn't mean you have more than just a macro view of it.

They didn't expect Theodore to be able to traverse between realms and siphon power.

8 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

I think Clara will be more important than ever moving forward.

Hopefully!

💚

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Jeb Cat said:

I liked the start of this chapter. Just some wholesome time between friends 😊

A lighthearted funny and silly moment 😁

4 hours ago, Jeb Cat said:

I still wonder why Chronos just cannot say... more? Why hide the details to Clara?

He stands as Warden of the Sheet of Time.

Just because humans and those similar have immediacy as a key element to understanding timelines, doesn't mean he does.

💛

  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Patch1 said:

This is such a fun story!  I am enjoying it immensely!  Keep up the great work!  ❤️

Oh thank you so much, I've had a rough day, and this helps immensely :D 

I'm seeing it through to the end and more. Thanks for being here, reading, and for the comment!! 💚

  • Love 4
Link to comment
Just now, Anton_Cloche said:

Has "Luna Cassandra Belcore, magnificent and strong, with a clear gaze and bright eyes" foreseen the future? With Grey / Wepwawet as ultimate Leader. With Dave / Aten as mate/Beta and Clara/Osiris supporting him?

If anyone has foreseen anything, then it would have been Beatrice, however, Beatrice and Grey's parents might know each other better than Grey is aware of. And if it's true, they will find Mark, they might be able to find Beatrice, too.Doctor Who Who Nose GIF - Doctor Who Who Nose GIFs

  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..